FAQ update 3/28: Difference between forums and answers/questions

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 11 years ago

I read both forum entries and answers/questions entries but the two features seem to overlap. Many of the questions asked in "answers" are technical questions asked by hubbers about HP. Some elicit long threads of answers just like in the forums. Since the "questions/answers" feature is linked to our individual domains, putting HP related questions there probably adds value to individual domains . Is that why people do it? As far as I know, forum entries on the other hand are not part of our domain.

If that is the only difference, then should I have put this question in the answer/question section?

Confused hmm

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Questions and Answers section of our site is intended to inspire high quality Hubs (while still giving people the option to post short, helpful answers).

It is not designed for discussion or troubleshooting issues, but is often used for both (much to our chagrin, though it is up to us to fix the messaging and design of the section to change this).

Your question definitely belongs in the Forums. Sorry for our not-quite-perfected Q&A section! We're hyper focused on quality and improving Hubbers' earnings now, and working on Q&A is not something that will move those projects forward. :-/

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sue.

The question/answer section is intended to research information to be used in order to create a Hub.
      It is not intended for discussion, topics un-related to making a Hub, or technical or other questions intended that require the response of HP staff.

Any sort of discussion should take place in the forums.
      There are topics for each type of forum discussion.

So something like
      "What cleaners or tools do you use to clean your house?"
      Could be a good question in order to get some responses from the community to use for a Hub.
      "Why do you hate ELECTED OFFICIAL NAME HERE?" is not a factual question, so this would not belong in the QA section, but could be fine in the appropriate forum topic.

Any technical inquiry about HP should be posted here, as you have done.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

The original purpose of the "Questions" section was to give Hubbers ideas for new Hubs.

People are not supposed to post HP-related questions in the Questions section, but newbies don't understand that.   If they notice the "answers" tab before they notice the "forum" tab, they're naturally going to post there.  After all, it sounds like a very logical place to get answers, doesn't it?

You can earn a small amount from ads on a question, so you're right, I'm sure some people post there instead of the forums for that reason. 

HubPages have tried to "fix" this section so many times without success, I wonder if it's worth having.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108829#post2315665

3. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

Wow, I read all the Learning Center Stuff but did not know the difference between the forum and questions area!  I must have missed it or forgotten it.

Useful information.  I'll use the correct places next time I have a technical or hub related question.

4. Sue Adams profile image95

Thank you Simone & Mathew for clarifying the issue. Again, this is related to what is public (for non-signed in readers) and internal. I understand how busy you are and that this is not high priority. However, a couple of sentences under the Questions heading quoted from your responses to this forum thread should fix this. Like:

"Questions and Answers is intended for short, helpful answers to non HP related questions and to inspire high quality Hubs. It is not designed for discussion or troubleshooting issues. Any sort of discussion should take place in the forums."

Or something to that effect...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - actually I thought that had already been added, I see it hasn't.

5. Sue Adams profile image95

Here is an even shorter version of what could go below the Answers/Question Heading:

"Our Answer feature is for Questions of interest to the general public and to inspire HP authors to write  new Hubs on your favorite topics. Technical / trouble shooting Questions requiring discussion should be posted in the Forums."

And if that fails to work ... why not idle/unpublish Questions that don't meet certain rules and standards, just like we do with Hubs, hey? smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Apparently they do idle questions too.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71

Thanks for the great suggestion.
      We have added further info related to the question in the FAQ.
      You can see the update here:
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#questions

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's all very well Matthew but How many people read the FAQ? The answers section is still full of questions asked by new hubbers as to how to handle the site. Wouldn't it be more effective to place a short guidance line directly under the Answers heading? Just put:

"Technical questions about HubPages should not be asked here but in the in the forums."

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

@Sue Adams
          Thanks for the suggestion.
          I have forwarded the information to our engineering team.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Matthew, that's great but as Sue says, real men don't read instructions. 

To misquote Rumsfeld, a lot of newbies don't know they don't know.   No one is going to check the FAQ to see what the Questions section is for, if they can see with their own eyes that it's a place to ask questions.  That's the fundamental problem.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

Very valid point and I agree.
          The request has been forwarded to our engineering team.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Changing the name of the Questions section to something that is more descriptive will also help.  How about "Ideas Bank" or "Ideas for New Hubs"

7. LCDWriter profile image91
    LCDWriterposted 11 years ago

I think that is a good idea Millionaire T.  That's where I got confused.  I thought all of it was the "forum" and that the tabs represented different aspects of the same forum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)