Divine Intervention Contradicts Free Will?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 85 discussions (428 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

-I made a response to a comment posted on one of my hubs. I feel that the response proves Divine Intervention false by contradiction of Free Will. Here was my response to a creator that intervenes.

"You and I both know that we were "created" by our mother and father, however, this doesn't prove that there was intervention outside of our mother and father. I think there is a "great" reason for not having divine intervention on a physical level. Let's say your mom and dad is your divine intervention throughout your life.

They would make your decisions and control your entire life, not just childhood if they "kept" intervening. This would not be free will."

I would like your thoughts on whether divine intervention is proved false or contradicts free will.

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
      goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with ya. Parents need to let children go and explore things on there own. Set boundaries of course, but then just let them go to figure things out for themselves. As for divine intervention, I believe there is deff a divine intervention in our lives, but He can only do so much, because of our freewill

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the new picture! I think "any" intervention would be a contradiction of free will.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think I am more with Denys on this. They are not mutually exclusive as I see them currently. smile

Do you mean neither have "set" definitions?

1. Misha profile image63

No, I think they both have their place. I am not ready to discuss this in any detail yet though. smile

That's fine, thanks for adding Sir.

2. goodfriendiam profile image61

Well take for example, you tell your children they may play in the yard, but don't go on the road, you set up boundires right? But of course being a child your curiosity got the best of ya so you venture to the road, you look and there is nothing coming right? Just as you go to step out to see whats on the other side, lets just say for arguments sake, you have this sense not to do it. Something ain't right, something is trying to get your attention not to go there. Boom, You got two choices. Go or stay. I think this would be called divine intervention. So like my new pic do ya? Ya I kinda like it myself. Thanks Marine big_smile

Yes, excellent new pic and you are welcome.

-On the example you used, we could call that voice our conscious correct? If we have divine intervention in every conscious decision we make, I think this would also be a contradiction of free will. It would be like having parents in your head on every decision, where I think the conscious comes from. If we had help on every decision through divine intervention, why would we need to rely on ourselves?

If we had divine intervention, why would anyone rely on medicine instead of faith?

2. mcbean profile image67
      mcbeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I fail to see any connection between divine intervention and free will. Who is to say that any 'creator' wanted us (their creations) to have free will. It must be assumed that any being capable of creation can do as they please. If they were to choose no free will and an elephant trunk growing out of our heads it would be so.

Do we not have free will to end our life on demand? This is free will. You don't have to live if you don't want to. Is this not logical to say that we have free will?

3. Angel Of Love profile image63
      Angel Of Loveposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    4. vinnysousa profile image61
      vinnysousaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

Thank You!

5. profile image0
      mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Divine intervention is in fact sent from heaven and all were created from God almighty so therefor we are of a higher divinity!

Nothing is fact, just assumptions.

6. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who says divine intervention doesn't come with a choice?

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And then you say
        if that were true then we wouldn't have rapist, murderers, child molester etc... they would be too afraid but they aren't so it doesn't really work out.

There's your choice lol

You're contradicting yourself smile

2. marinealways24 profile image59

Alright, If we made a choice to hope for divine intervention, we would be contradicting our own free will. We would be hoping a unknown power guides/makes our decisions. This would still be contradicting free will in life if another made our decisions and path.

7. lenny brioxy profile image65
      lenny brioxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My opinion on the divine is that people seem to always consider only the good side of miracles ( or paranormal acts ). This is why this type of intervention forms such big arguments. Every one gets peeved when what some call God doesn't cure all things. Some go so far as to swear off the entire doctrines using arguments that state such things as "where the heck was he when...".

IMO people tend to overlook the "black magic" energy.

Does swearing off white magic automatically make one a subscriber to black magic ?

Just a question to ponder as we continue to battle each other for material possessions and fill our bodies with whatever sources of energy the physical world throws at us.

I admit that I am guilty of the above. I smoke, drink, and maybe I even look at pictures of naughty ladies...maybe. I might even lie about the truth to that if someone uses it against me.

Just my opinion...free will does not contradict divine intervention, it just adds fuel to it...good or bad.

Very well thought. I think you have thought of this question already before. lol

How about those that ask for divine intervention and are left on an empty tank? Were the white favored over the black? Why did one receive divine intervention without the other? Ahhh, now this brings in favoritism along with contradicting free will. How is it decided which ones to help and which ones not to? This would be favoritism.

lol Where are all the answerer's? Not a hard question.

divine intervention contradicts free will, when we give 'divine intervention' free access  to our life

Any intervention contradicts free will.

Thank You Sir. I'm glad you understand what I am saying.

it's very easy to understand !! 2+2 =4 big_smile  Next question ! lol

Ok, this one will be more of a statement. Since it is there in reasoning and logic that divine intervention contradicts free will, the bible is also claimed divine intervention that contradicts free will. Free Will is not taught, it is learned.

Free will you learn the first time you decide to do something by your own.
                I don't understant the bible part. what du mean ?

In the reasoning I used to say that divine intervention is a contradiction of free will, I think the bible is the exact same thing, a contradiction of free will.

If your parents wrote a book that told you what decisions to make in life and how to live your life, they would be contradicting your free will, correct? If they told you to live this way or else! They would be influencing the thoughts and free will of your choice, contradicting free will. correct?

3. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Divine intervention doesn't contradict free will if we are the ones requesting it.

1. atomswifey profile image56
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very good point there

I thought it was believe or else? I didn't know there was options to request or not. If you request divine intervention instead of medicine for one of your dying children, which would you take the chance on, faith or medicine?

1. profile image0
        grunkpunkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is such an interesting question for I have 3 children and really belive in Spiritual healing and Natural Remedies...but I would say that I would use medicine!  Wow really gets me thinking!

Thank You for being honest.

2. Make  Money profile image67
        Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Both, but Divine intervention first.  Medicine can not help without Divine intervention anyway, whether you pray for it or not.

I have to agree with Mike, I can remember, quite a few years back,that I personally got so desperate, I was very "sick" in my head. That if I didn't get divine intervention, on what I should do, I would have gone mad. So I dropped to my knees, and began to weep and cry out to God, I said Jesus save me! And do you know in an instant he was there, it was the most beautiful thing, I had peace surrounding me, like I was in some sort of bubble, and nothing could touch me. Clarity on what I should do, came in an instant also. That's when I got on the phone, and called my husband and my mom both. I needed someone to "watch" my child. Anyways my husband took me to the doctors to find out what was wrong with me. And the doctor put me on anti-depressant medication. I thank God for saving my life that, that day.

1. Make  Money profile image67

That's a beautiful example of Divine intervention goodfriendiam.

All we need to do is ask for the Comforter in Jesus' name and He will be there.  What a reassuring thought eh.

I agree that faith in a divine purpose/reason for life is comforting. I would like truth and the truth isn't always comforting.

No it isn't it is down right painful.

More painful than saying there is no purpose for life? I don't think so. This would make someone feel pointless.

Yes I agree

Alright, if your kid was dying of cancer and needed medical treatment to survive, why not keep him from the doctor and rely on prayer? You would rely on prayer instead of medicine, wouldn't you?

No, like I said I would rely on both.  Consider the fact that God gave us plants and herbs for healing as well.  The fact that pharmaceutical companies change the make up of those plants and herbs so they can put a patent on their drugs is immaterial.  The plants and herbs used for healing still come from God.  Doctors and medicine do not heal without Divine intervention.  Often doctors these days do it for the money but good doctors are called to their practice.

Ahh did the bible tell man to make medicines out of plants, or did man tell man in the seperation of religion for science? If everyone was religious as biblical times, we would be burning animals and using prayer to cure disease instead of using science and medicine.

Yep it's in the Bible, that's why man has been using plants and herbs for healing for thousands of years.  Yeah and then man told man down through the generations.  Separation of religion for science?  I didn't know there was such a thing.  No the burning of animals for a sacrifice is condemned now, it went out with Jesus, the sacrificial Lamb.  There are actually more religious people now than in biblical times.

Now wouldn't that just tick off a non-believer.  You would think it would be enough to throw them into a tantrum.  lol

A bit hard to go 'through' me, makemoney ! lol

Makemoney :
                    I hate to do this ,But you ask for  it !  lol

"Separation of religion for science?  I didn't know there was such a thing."

I think religion and science separated when individualism started. Religion relies on faith. Science relies on logic. Ok, if making plants into medicine is in there, why is this magic or divine? Is it so impossible that someone couldn't have discovered plants from medicine from experimentation. lol

Yeah I'm sure some stumbled upon the healing aspects of plants and herbs but seeing the garden of Eden had to be somewhere in the middle east it all had to start there.  Science relies on logic.  Religion relies on faith and logic.

You are believing everything that I am telling you, aren't you marinealways24 ? smile

If not is there even any sense in continuing this discussion? lol

3. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very true. Besides, it can help us wade through difficult waters. smile

4. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

uhhh, since when does soemone else's actions have any bearing on your own free will? choose to accepet the "intervention" or not...

If you accept the so called intervention, it is not free will. Does this not make sense? Even your so called "choice" of intervention is not free will.

1. profile image0
        rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that choosing something is free will. Althoug, someitmes the "choice" seems unfair. for example, right now, I have a choice. To sit here and be foolish on forums, or go drink gasoline. Drinking gas will kill me. So, I make my choice...be foolish on forums. Just becasue there are results to your choice, does not mean you had no choice.

uhhh, If someone killed you tomorrow, their actions took your free will. Does that make sense?

1. profile image0

sure, that makes sense, to a point. my point is that was thier free will, and it wasnt divine..just some other guy. You do have free will, but so does the other guy, and you wont always agree...like, sure, someone killing you leaves you no choice, but you had a choice to be at the place where it happend. wich ultimately lead to your death. the uhhh part was just me being confused, sorry.  smile

Ya, but the one that got killed, must have sensed something to get himself/herself, in or out of the the predicament he/she was in, in the first place. wouldn't ya think?

1. profile image0

You would hope. But this does not always happen. Or maybe, people DO get 'feeling' and CHOSOE to ignore them?

Very true I remember many times having that feeling, sometimes I would listen to it. And well others times I wouldn't and most of the time when I didn't I got exactly what was coming, usually bad. ugh!!!

Ty for responding. If a child was dying and had faith that divine intervention would save him rather than medicine, do you think divine intervention would keep the kid alive?

1. profile image0

ok. im getting confused,sorry. i am not so sure devine intervention even exisits. i feel like you just asked a new question. ill keep reading....

1. profile image0
              SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If the child had complete faith yes I believe that God would heal them. The problem is that in the day and time we live complete faith is unheard of, (I am speaking more of myself than pointing fingers at others).

Things are so easy to come by these days that we do not rely upon God for anything hardly, unless we are diagnosed with cancer or some other ungodly disease.

Without the spiirt of God, there is no life. The spirit quickens(gives life to) the flesh.

PS: I had a problem with the quotes in this reply so if I have the wrong person as quoting the top portion, please forgive me.

You say yes, that God will heal them over medicine as long as the child has faith?

I'm sorry, but this is going to be disrespectful. That was quite an ignorant remark you made. What if the child had no "taught faith", would God not favor the child?  You would let your kid die in prayer rather than try medicine to save the childs life? Is this human to you? Have you not heard of the innocent kids dying on the news for faith over medicine?

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

got it !!!LOL! of course the bible is the supreme contradiction of F Will

Does this not prove the bible as a contradiction of free will through logic and reasoning in turn proving the bible as false divine intervention?

the divine intervention is there for the ones that want to believe it. Of course they lose the free will in the process

Do we agree that free will is learned, not taught? If so, even a believer, why would they think free will is taught?

For the ones that do believe, why do they not rely on divine intervention instead of medicine? There would obviously be no need for medicine if divine intervention was true. Faith could heal the "physical", not just the claimed "mental" if divine intervention was true.

the believers think that ? Who can be so dumb to think free will can be taught ?? Do you teach a baby to breath ? No. The ones thatdon't get it, they die. the same with free will. the ones that don't get it, don't have a life.

I would say they still have a life, just not "their" life.

Would you say it is an "absolute free will" to "learn" instead of being "taught" and given choices? I would think it as absolute if all free will was learned.

To learn under free will is to learn what you think is best for you ,despite what they tried to teach you. Absolutes doesn't exist. there's always a way around things.

Alright, maybe I should have used the core of free will instead of saying absolute. Is the core of free will not learning instead of being taught? Just trying to simply the root meaning.

6. tantrum profile image60

A god that tells you what to do, if not you'll burn in hell ???!!! yikes

7. tantrum profile image60

you said:
    Alright, maybe I should have used the core of free will instead of saying absolute. Is the core of free will not learning instead of being taught? Just trying to simply the root meaning.

the core of free will is not learning what everybody tells you to learn. free will is learning to find your own answers and your own teachings

So based on our core definition of free will, divine intervention and the bible are both contradictions, correct? How can this be argued by anyone? lol

the contradiction is saying God gives us free will. But that's impossible as He is giving us commandements  to follow, and 'teaching' us that if we don't follow,we're doomed !  It's crazy !! lol

Yes one of the many contradictions of free will that is in the bible along with the bible itself. Clearly a contradiction of free will based on the meaning of free will.

2. goodfriendiam profile image61

Is it "all" that crazy? I mean lets just say you and your mate have a child, right? You raise this child with "commandments" (rules if you would like to call them that) to follow, your always there to help them to stick to the rules, cause they are after all mere children, then they grow up and go out on their own. Now you showed them the "way" correct? Now it is up to them to follow that "way" is this correct? Ok now it is their choice "free will" to decide what they will do with what they have been taught. If they choose to follow the "right way" then good will follow. If they choose to follow the "the wrong" then bad will follow. Does this mean you will ever stop loving them, If you are a parent or not I highly doubt it.

1. profile image49
            CabinGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You tell em girl !

2. tantrum profile image60

Parents don't tell their children they're doomed if they disobey. God does. Read the Bible

Sure they do. When you "teach" your children how to follow the right way, you also "teach" them the "consequences" of there actions. "like hey Sara didn't mommy "teach" not to play on the road" poor Sara now is paralyzed, because she was "taught" but she choice to not to listen. But does that mean her mom won't love her any more. I don't think so.

When did i talk about love ??? I was talking with marine about free will

3. marinealways24 profile image59

In giving them choices and telling them the consequences, you are intervening free will. I'm not saying you shouldn't direct your child until they can direct themselves, just trying to define free will. If your parents were with you your entire life telling you every decision to make, they would be intervening your free will, not just your childhood free will.

8. tantrum profile image60

Maybe they think 'free will' is  'will' you get free if you follow God's orders big_smile

9. marinealways24 profile image59

-Another question I haven't gotten any answers on yet.

-If you trust yourself to divine intervention, why do you take medicine? You are trusting science over faith. If divine intervention was in physical life, there would not be a need for medicine.

Don't forget that the God of the Bible is very mean and vengeful and doesn't care for people that don't follow him. not even for the ones that follow, if you see what's happening in this world, all around you. I wouldn't rely in this type of divine intervention!

2. Valerie F profile image61
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you take medicine and you don't believe in divine intervention, you are still putting your faith in something. You're putting your faith in science, in your doctor, in your pharmacist, and in the belief that the medicine prescribed to you is the right one for your condition.

I take medicine when I'm sick, and I pray to God that my doctor prescribed the right stuff, it works, and it doesn't give me hives or make me loopy. (Or loopier as the case may be. wink )

It is possible to have faith in both God and science. They aren't mutually exclusive.

10. profile image49
    CabinGirlposted 14 years ago

Mummy gone to bed ?

No she wants the computer already, I have created a computer mongrel....lol

1. profile image49

As to my question, do you still love me ?

11. profile image49

Omg nooooooooooooo, out comes my Bible !

she asked for it big_smile

1. profile image49

You only replied read yer bible, so quote chapter and verse, I have my bible awaiting your reply !

I'm not quoting the bible. I can care less about it.But if someone wants to discuss God, get the bible. I don't discuss god.  I give my opinion. You like it good, you don't, i can't be bothered big_smile

1. profile image49

You said read the Bible so I thought you had a chapter in mind, so basically you were in fact just shooting yer mouth off at Goodfriendami who can suck you in and spit you out !

Thanks for the stick up! CG.....lol

lol lol I'm not shooting anything!. And i don't think she can suck me and spit me out. I'm too hard . She'll choked in the process lol

Honey I can take you on any day...not...lol

1. profile image49

You still love me babe ?

12. profile image49

Tantrum she can eat you for breakfast, you know not who you are dealing with smile

She either!! lol  neither do you !!! lol And this is my personal joke lol lol lol

And it is funny and very very true.....lol

2. profile image49

Lol you are the joke, I kinda hate a triple Lol, tis kinda sad, what do you think Dee ?

lol lol lol

13. tantrum profile image60

@ marine
    we will continue our debate another time. When hysterical chicks cope the forum, us men can't do nothing about it lol

14. profile image49

No reply Dee ??

I'm still having a tantrum...LOL big_smile

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice reply !

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and congratulations Tantrum

lol Hi jerami

What sha doin

2. Misha profile image63

He does not seem to mind lol

Well good for everybody then  !!!

15. Kaabi profile image61
    Kaabiposted 14 years ago

Ha, well this went off topic fairly quickly.

16. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Just so everyone knows, if not for divine intervention all would die right in their tracks right now. Each breath you breathe is due to divine intervention.

As far as freewill goes, you have two doors to walk through. You know what is beyond each door so you choose the door you go through.

If your child had a handgun in his/her mouth, hammer pulled back ready to squeeze the trigger, would you try and stop them?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The answer is yes and I agree if it were not for divine intervention all of us would be gone. smile

Absolutely Agree!!

A child is an innocent person, who needs to grow up. So that's not a good example.  If a human being has a gun in his mouth, and he's the one who's pulling the trigger, I, personaly ,would not stop him, as it's obvious his choise is  to die.

1. profile image0

You are not God either nor are you divine. So do you need to grow up also?

EDITED: How old is your child before he/she stops being your child?

I believe in me ,I love myself and I'm divine,by my own standards. I don't need  anybody, as I myself is a whole. And that is my religion. Don't start preaching me, because you'll be wasting your time. Thank you !

1. profile image0

Well, it is the time God gave me to use as I see fit. But the question was asked and I answered it. Why do you have a problem with that?

I didn't ask you any question. you just pop up from the blue big_smile

1. AEvans profile image72

Tantrum you did ask a question, " You need to grow up also?" it was on your previous comment and Sir Dent responded. smile

Read properly. That question was made by sirdent big_smile

1. profile image0

I agree with Tantrum. I did ask that question. Tantrum still avoiding the one I asked though.

2. AEvans profile image72

I just read it again and noticed that! Sir Dent is a very kind person you should give him credit he has been here for a long time. smile I apologize for not reading it correctly. smile

2. profile image0

Someone else asked the question and I answered it. That's what forums are for. So it was not me that popped up out of the blue but you did. So why do you have a problem with me answering the question?

-On your last statement, if you had a gun in your mouth with the hammer cocked, "Would God try to stop you?" Why not?

-Of course I would try to stop my kid or anyone else. So, I can intervene others free will to stop them from pulling the trigger, but God can't? You and I can intervene, but the creator can't, or does he? You said God intervenes with every breath, why not every suicide?

Because God is life, and after your gone, there is know way to bring you back, you are now in etenity

The only problem I have with this is, most say God intervenes in "faith". If God can intervene in the mental, why not the physical? Both are intervention of free will.

God does intervene physically as well.  Consider children or anyone that have survived a deathly illness.  Especially when their loved ones have prayed for the person that is sick.  In fact many times we ask prayer groups to pray for sick relatives or friends.  And quite often the sick person comes around.  We do it every time at Mass.  I know this does not always work, but only God can explain why.

This story doesn't have to do with a sick person but proves the power of prayer.  After World War II the Communists ruled Austria.  70,000 people, one tenth of the Austrian population, pledged to say the Rosary daily for the Soviets to leave their country.  On May 13, 1955 the Russians signed the agreement to leave Austria.  It is the only time that the militant atheistic forces of Marxism have ever peacefully left a country in which they held power.  Military strategists and historians are baffled as to why the Russians pulled out. But we are not.  Divine intervention through the power of prayer to Him.
            http://www.overcomeproblems.com/about_the_rosary.htm

God bless you Sandra.

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You ask good questions. smile  I do believe in some sort of divine intervention of course I call it "luck".  If not then it was meant to be.  Who says that a person committing suicide wasn't the way the person was meant to go?

Lots of people attempt suicide everyday.  I have been on the attempted side more than a dozen times.  The last time I do believe it was divine intervention that saved my life.  You can call it god I don't really care.

But as the story goes, I was on my death bed completely ready to kick the bucket on a suicide attempt.  I remember being brought into the er, watching (some sort of delusion) myself being brought back out.  I was pregnant and happy. 

I couldn't understand it at the time.  I suffered from sever bipolar depression for most my life.  Then everything went black.  I woke up the next day with tubes in every place imaginable etc...

About a year later I was pregnant and had an awesome little girl.  I have fought bpd on my own naturally without med. intervention and have been pretty stable for the last few years.

They say that when you finally reach the bottom it can only get better and sure it enough for me it did.  And while I don't actually believe in a god in the sky or anything like that.  I do believe that there is something out there. 

Also, I think it's pretty extraordinary that I prayed my entire life for just a few things then that happened and within a few years it seems that everything I ever prayed for finally was answered.

Thank You for adding Sandra. I am glad to hear that you are much better now. I have faith in a reason/purpose for mine, your, everyone's life, this does not prove that there is reason/purpose. It's hard for me to believe that our lives would be intervened simply because I want to. I am only speaking for myself. I don't think our lives are intervened because it wouldn't be "our" lives if one constantly intervened, it would be their life which contradicts free will.

3. profile image0

God intervenes more than you and I even know. Anytime one has gotten so low that suicide is considered He calls out to them. He does not force them into submission, but gives them a way out. This is called intervention without taking away freedom of choice.

Think about seeing someone on a high roof top ready to jump. You try and talk them down. You are intervening, but that doesn't mean they won't go ahead and jump.

lol In your last sentence, you say if I were to intervene to talk someone off of a roof, they could jump anyways. This is quite true. The point of the entire thread is, If I intervened to keep the man from jumping, I would be intervening and influencing his free will and choice.

Again, my point, intervention contradicts free will.

17. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

My friend says:
    Love has a will also, and with love will intervene for the sake of the love it has for a loved one.
    The intervention of love can be refused as well and often is because love is not understood.
    If love is refused, then the refuser is free to go their way and help themselves and lost no freedom.

Love wonders though, what if one who has freewill asks for help from love and love says.....
    “you are free to help yourself as I cannot intervene and go against your freewill.” ?

18. tantrum profile image60

Maybe are the chemtrails...Why everybody is so weird tonight ??lol

19. marinealways24 profile image59

lol what happened in here? Chaos! lol

I will try to catch up with the post's eventually.

@ marine
      we will continue our debate another time. When hysterical chicks cope the forum, us men can't do nothing about it lol

I wrote this ages ago, before a lot monsters came for me ! lol what a joke. read and have a laugh !! lol

20. Shaul Stein profile image60
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

Have you ever thought about this?

A King with a free will of his own, trumps yours.

And there is 100% absolutely not one thing you can do about it?

99.9999999999% of the time though,
    The King just does not bother with you, He is busy, has a Kingdom to run.

There is a reason I don't respond to your ignorance. Because you are ignorant.

1. Shaul Stein profile image60
        Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you do not like to be trumped?
        Nobody does, but it IS a reality. smile

I'm actually glad you posted your ignorant comments. You are the perfect example of the religious robot. "Don't ask questions, God doesn't have time to answer." Go discover individualism then you might have an intelligent remark to add. You only "trump" yourself.

1. Shaul Stein profile image60
            Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where did I say not to ask questions?
            I ask hundreds and have placed like 20 topics in here that are full of questions.

So bail out !!!

And where did I say He does not have time to answer?

Quote the right box next time ignorant one. Once again, you show your ignorance. This is why this will be my last response to your ignorant games. You have no intelligent thought to add.

21. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

My friend says:
    Love has a will also, and with love will intervene for the sake of the love it has for a loved one.
    The intervention of love can be refused as well and often is because love is not understood.
    If love is refused, then the refuser is free to go their way and help themselves and lost no freedom.

Love wonders though, what if one who has freewill asks for help from love and love says.....
    “you are free to help yourself as I cannot intervene and go against your freewill.” ?

22. tantrum profile image60

@marine

Don't you feel like this ?

lol To much work !!!! lol

Only to the ignorant ones that refuse to think.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly...  And what with all this "trumping" b.s?  Another fundamentalist is acting like we're playing cards over there in another forum post with "trumps", "bad hands", etc...  Sheesh!  lol

23. tantrum profile image60

lol lol  cool

24. marinealways24 profile image59

There, added to both of them so he couldn't get out of it.

25. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

The idea of "divine intervention" gives us the impression that a divine being is in control of the situations that occur in our lives.  How we behave, and handle those situations is up to us.  The concepts work nicely together.

"In control of the situations" Doesn't this also contradict free will?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image61
        Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, because sometimes things happen that have nothing to do with our free will.  If a bus driver is preoccupied, runs a red light and kills three pedestrians, it has nothing to do with the "free will" of the pedestrians.  It is a situation.  Some might say that it was predestined, or just random, but then the argument would be between "divine intervention" and random chaos.

If it was divine intervention, Why wouldn't there be 3 rapist's and murderer's crossing the street when the bus killed them instead of 3 regular pedestrians?

Maybe it was, but it still didn't have anything to do with their free will.

lol it didn't? The divine intervention you claim that picks the situation killed them. If they are killed by the divine, this is not free will. lol

If they purposely stepped into traffic, it would have been free will.

free will is the will we have to live our life as we think best. What happens in the world, like an accident doesn't have anything to do with that. Tha's part of the dangers of life. Welcome to the World !!

scary thought yikes !!

I don't like it at all! Hate  2 b rulled  by 'divine intervention' !

I wanted to add to this. If I sit around waiting for God to pick my situation and job for me, would I get a job? Why wouldn't I get a job if God controlled my situations? Did God not favor me for favoring him? Why wouldn't he get me a job if I sit there waiting for his control of the situation?

If you "sit around and wait", situations will still occur.  Life will still go on around you.  I don't think that "God" will reach out of the sky and fill out a job application for you, but lightening may still strike your house while you are sitting around waiting.  Situations are seemingly random events that may, or may not, have meaning... depending on how you choose to view them.

That's what life is about. Don't you think ? what's your point ??

My point is that asking if Free Will contradicts Divine Intervention is like comparing apples and oranges.  They work on different levels.

But any kind of 'intervention' contradicts free will,  a godly one, with more reason. as we as  mere mortals couldn't do anything about it.

Exactly!!!!!!   Not picking teams, but this is my main point.

Becausethre's noGod ,Marine !! You'll have to get it yourself, like everything in life !! big_smile

I understand that the religious God does not exist in my belief. By this reason alone, it would be ignorant for me to rule out a creator or creators when I don't truly know.

you don't know ?  yikes  So what rules your life. ? or is it yourself ?? yikes

I rule my life with faith that there is reason/purpose for my life. This faith does not intervene my free will of belief.

Well then you know !!

I don't "know" anything, I have faith.

26. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i don't believe in divine intervention. if there were such a thing, why do millions of people suffer from famine or genocide? but if there were, it would trump free will, as you surrender your will to the Divine to save you.

lol Wow

Thank You for seeing the point I was making in the thread topic which was my main point.

1. profile image0

Have you ever heard of the word sin? Sin has overcome man and has done so for thousands of years. There isn't a man alive who has not sinned except for one. His name is Jesus.

2. Davinagirl3 profile image61

You are right.  Anyone who sits around and waits for "God" to live their lives are going to have really lousy lives.  These people tend to be seriously depressed and desperate.

Of course, because if they believe in god, they are not getting any reply from him big_smile

I have never met anyone who has gotten any instructions from "God".

1. profile image0

Oh, I've heard plenty of people say they have.  "God told me to do x,y,z..."  You should attend a few AA meetings.  lol

Oh yes !! I forgot lost people !! big_smile

1. profile image0

I'm actually in recovery from being "in recovery" in AA...  Have moved onto Rational Recovery... what a Godsend.  lol

Good 4 u !!! You're not lost !! smile

How could they get instructions from something that doesn't exists ? Of course you don't know anyone !!

27. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Oh, no... I'm found.  But, not according to the 12 Steppers who are convinced I'm drunk, on the streets, and hopeless.  smile  Sorry, couldn't "turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understand him."  Didn't work for me.

Who cares what they think!   big_smile cool

2. Davinagirl3 profile image61

I guess it makes some people feel better to think that "God" is making them do things, but I would prefer to think that I had the power to decide to make certain decisions.  Congrats on your sobriety!  I think you are doing well because you are strong.

28. marinealways24 profile image59

I think this is where the divide comes. Religion makes fun of non believers and non believers make fun of religion. It would be nice if we could find common ground to humble ourselves to admit that we don't know what our human purpose is in the universe.

1. profile image0

I do agree with that, marine.  I really do.  But, gosh darnit if I haven't just had the worst experiences to render that very difficult.

We all have. You and I both know that you can't beat a negative with a negative.

1. profile image0

True.  AND it depends who you are talking to.  Fundamentalists and I don't get along, I'm always "going to Hell".  I appreciate a rational person, however.  One that thinks...

Anyone that makes personal accusations like that towards another is a mind trapped in belief. Someone that makes a remark like that will only self-destruct. They don't need any help. They may also never find individualism. Some choose to have a open belief. As you and I know, somes belief is closed from fear. I think belief should be like a democracy always open to debate.

1. profile image0

Definitely agree.  I am about ready to SCREAM from another forum post.  There's just no logic coming from this fundamentalist, whatsoever.  Brain-washed, completely.  I seem to attract the fundamentalists.  (Insert tantrums angry red cartoon here).  Thanks for listening.

lol They win if you scream. You can only debate belief with people who's belief is open. The one's belief that is closed will only see what they want to see, no matter what you write. Logic doesn't always prevail as you already know. lol

1. profile image0

So true.  I need to just stop, I really do.  I once stayed up half the night arguing with this person.  What did I gain?  Exhaustion.  LOL!

And I can guess the arguement only went in circles? I think both stop learning when the debate turns into an arguement. I try to avoid the circles, but it doesn't always happen. lol

2. Valerie F profile image61
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree as well. And I admit I find it difficult at times to not respond to "the Bible calls me a fool for being an atheist," with "well, maybe you act like one."

To be perfectly fair, I have known atheists who are humble, polite, open and fair-minded, who treat believers as their intellectual equals, and aren't given to take a disagreement on religion as a personal insult, particularly if no insult is ever intended. I've found them generally a lot of fun to be around.

But there are some...

...who remind me why I think it's best to judge a religion or a philosophy strictly on the merits of its teachings rather than the failings of its adherents. I don't want to be skewed by any personal bias.

This is one of the main problems in titles. Everything has a title. The titles are the basis of the generalizations. If everyone claimed individualism instead of a "set" belief, there would be no titles in belief.

1. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59
            My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My friend says:
            Love is not a title.
            Love points to love and not a rank or title.
            Love is meek and humble.
            Love is not putting down.
            Love is edifying towards something greater.
            Love teaches ones who can receive.
            Love gives light.
            If one can no longer be taught, they chose to stop receiving love.

My friend says:
            Love allows others to choose life and love.
            Love honors the choice of another to choose.
            Love does not seek it's own way.

My friend says:
            Love is the greatest teacher.
            Love needs no rank nor title nor recognition of men.
            Love teaches love and in love is always teaching love.
            Love is sincere in all it says.

My friend says:
            Love moves in wisdom, understanding, meekness, humility and compassion.
            At all times, and if it must correct, this too is done with love.
            If correction is not received, love moves on in love.

My friend says:
            Give what you have in your cup.
            When your cup is empty, give your cup.

My friend says:
            Love is transparent.

Alright, why do you keep writing in 3rd person?

I am a huge supporter of love, however, your friend seemed to forget that love is not always pretty. Love can make one blind. Love can breed hate if the love is not unconditional. Those that you love don't always love you back. Love can lie and deceive. If you write all of the positives of something, you should recognize the bad also.

Well I'd agree with all three of yous.  Maybe that is where we have common ground?  In fact we do have common ground here.

I know exactly what it is, that's why I talk. Of course I speak for myself.

I would argue that you only know your purpose, not "our" purpose as a whole. lol, Thats what you already said huh?

I said 'I speak for myself ' didn't I ?

Yes you did. Is that an absolute? lol

Aha !! lol

lol, I thought you might like that one.

29. profile image0

Thanks, Davina.  Yes, they believe without God they are unable to stay sober on their own.  If they "take back their will", ultimately they will relapse.

30. Shaul Stein profile image60
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago
  31. tantrum profile image60

@marine

Someone just walk in !!

lol

32. marinealways24 profile image59

So....How was everyone's day today?

33. tantrum profile image60
    1. profile image0

Knock it off!  lol

34. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

smile

I don't understand your question.

My friend says:
        The answer is contained in love.
        Love is the understanding in the mystery of the question.

Love asks if you understand the statements?

Ok, I can't prove it wrong or right that love is divine intervention without contradicting free will. I like the idea though, made me think. I will get back to you on my idea on this.

35. tantrum profile image60

I hope you don't mind me using your angry smiley tantrum?

Of course not!! I love your mispelling !! big_smile

Thanks.  What spelling mistake?  Smiley?

Definitions of smiley:     
          * noun:   an emoticon of a smiling face
          * name:  A surname (common: 1 in 11111 families; popularity rank in the U.S.: #1375)
          http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Wo … amp;org2=l

You misspelled "mispelling".  The correction is "misspelling". big_smile

you know perfectly well what I'm talking about!! I saw you corrected it lol  I like your sense of humor!! as your beliefs!  lol

No I don't even know what word you are talking about that you think I corrected.  Seriously. lol  I like your sense of humor too.  I just about spelled homour wrong cause that's how we spell it here. lol

36. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

My friend says:
    Love is healing.
    Love is not a religion.
    The opposite of love is fear and healing cannot happen if fear is present.
    Love is light and life, faith and hope spring from love.
    Love is logical and the truth of love is seen and made evident to all who seek it.

Love is an emotion and is not always logical. If a man loved his wife and his wife cheated on him, where was the logic in that? Why didn't his love keep her from cheating. How can you understand all the positives if you fail to recognize the negatives?

My friend says:
        Love is not failing here, it is not able to fail because of anything.

Love sees all things and yet is not moved by anything against it's will.

Love does not keep one from using it's free will.

If the wife cheats, she has not acted in love as love would not do this.

She has used her freewill to walk outside of love.

Pure love is logical and if the freewill thinks outside of logic, it will not act in love.

Love does not keep one from cheating if they so wish to.

The husband would not be moved from his position of love if it were real love.

The husbands love can be rejected and still remain as it was, always loving.

Love cannot be shaken from it's place or fall from it's place of love.

That is why pure love always moves in love, no matter what.

Love overcomes all things and cannot be moved from acting with love and in love.

Love is a thousand times more than an emotion, love is an action that does not act out of emotion even if emotions are present.

Love is chosen over all emotions and cannot be moved by them against it's will.

Love exercises self control at all times and is not moved by emotions.

Emotions can cloud ones logic and judgment. Not so with love.

There are many forms of "love" only real and pure selfless love remains
        "always faithful."

This is a saying you are familiar with yes?
        This is a hard saying. Who can know it?

Love asks:
          Have you no reply sir?
          Love, pure love is hard to comprehend because to much self is involved in what is called love.
          Love is selfless.

lol do you not comprehend that you are doing the opposite of your intentions? Or does your love make you blind to this?

37. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

My friend says:
    Love is healing.
    Love is not a religion.
    The opposite of love is fear and healing cannot happen if fear is present.
    Love is light and life, faith and hope spring from love.
    Love is logical and the truth of love is seen and made evident to all who seek it.

38. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

My friend says:
    Writing or speaking in the name of love is to not speak of ones own accord.
    Love means no harm.

And the rest will be answered shortly.

I applaud you in your efforts to spread love.

My friend says, someone that constantly writes in 3rd person has something to hide or is playing pretend. I prefer to speak with 1st persons.

My friends says:
        Love has nothing to hide here, love has no fear.
        Love is merely dictating through a person who has received love.
        Love plays no games or is pretending.
        I am speaking in love.
        My friends name is Shiyloh.

39. mcbean profile image67
    mcbeanposted 14 years ago

Any creator would have the power to give and remove free will at any time. They could play with us for their amusement, let us run free until we did something that was not approved of, then change the rules.
    With infinite changes possible from an all powerful being it is illogical to make any conclusions about the divine from observations you make about current conditions.

Having said that, I am not a believer in any form of god but I still do not follow the 'logic' to this argument

lol Why would I claim to know the power or reasoning of a creator/creators? It is my logic that I have the free will to take my life if I chose to. I started the thread based on the bible and religions assumptions of free will and divine intervention. They clearly contradict each other in my belief.

40. profile image0

You're still here, marine?  He he he...

Yes, but "my friend" is getting on my nerves. I think I lose sanity when I see someone repeatedly write in 3rd person. I don't feel his/her love.

1. profile image0

lol  glad it's not just me.  His or her name's Shiyloh, but the poster's name is ????  It reminds me of my kids when they were toddlers:  "Peter has to go pee pee."  Not feeling the love either.

Think we just proved his/her love theory wrong. Oops.

2. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

Love needs no defense and nothing can defend against love.
          Love is the focus here, not the person.
          Love is not offended.

Love lets people hide behind it and deceive others while writing in 3rd person.

41. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

Love does not need others to love back.
    Love continues to love.
    Pure love does not lie, cheat, breed hate, deceive, nor is it blind.

Love sees all and continues to love.
    Perhaps your idea of love needs purification or examination?

Love overcomes all things and cannot be moved.
    Love is not insane.

Shiyloh.

Think we just proved his/her love theory wrong. Oops.

42. tantrum profile image60

My friend tantrum says : I love all of you
    I love myself
    I love makemoney
    I love  my friend shyloh
    I love sirdent
    lol

How lovely My friend tantrum. lol

lol lol  My lovely friend makemoney !!

43. tantrum profile image60
  44. tantrum profile image60

My friend tantrum says
    love is all around us
    love is behind
    love is in front
    love is up
    love is down

Is love absolute? lol

45. profile image0

Love will keep us together.

46. tantrum profile image60

My friend tantrum says
    watch out ! Love is going to crash
    love is going to get sick
    love is going to faint
    love is dead

47. tantrum profile image60

my friend tantrum says :
    love is terrible
    love is fantastic
    love is awesome
    love isblind
    love is stevie wonder
    love is love

lol you are on a roll.

48. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

Love wonders though, what if one who has freewill asks for help from love and love says...

49. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

Perhaps if you are bothered by the 3rd person you will have the love enough to read the words alone as love speaking to you.
    Or you can laugh.
    Love is not bothered.

I think you believe you are the love prophet. Correct?

Love has no title or rank.

50. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

Love is not offended by mocking of the messenger.
    Love would rather that one looks at the words written.
    And offers love.

Hmmm, Who made you the messenger? God?

Love contains a message carried by someone who loves.

lol imagine that. You are getting predictable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)