a question about self- promotion on forums

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (49 posts)
  1. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

hello all, I'm still relatively new on HP and am still learning how this site works~~ I have noticed recently that some hubbers seem to be able to self- promote with links and yet others are quickly silenced. can someone please clarify what self-promotion is here in the forums?  and yes, I have read the forum rules and also the box that is posted on every single page when posting a comment where it says: Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links.
    hmm

2. profile image49
    badcompany77posted 14 years ago

Some older members get away with it, newbies don't, you do the maths !

3. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

long time no see bad company. Where have you been, and where are all your hubs?

1. profile image49
      badcompany77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I deleted myself, this is a new account. Tis always nice to see you though my pretty friend smile

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh thank you. I was gone for awhile too, long story, but in the end I bought a house with a house payment of $130 a month. smile

1. profile image49

It's good to see you back, jeeeez $130 a month, get yer ass over to the UK and get me a deal you blonde wizard smile

LOL yep, I'm good.

1. profile image49

Don't go away again ok, I missed ya x

Ok ill try not too but I had to move.

1. profile image49

I know I meant on here smile

I didnt have internet access. Ok sorry better can back on the subject. smile

2. profile image0
          R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I don't think I can get a house here in the Philippines worth 130 usd/month. It's even more expensive here, that's why most people rent.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

If a thread is started by established hubber, and the thing s/he promotes is an obvious benefit to community, I think Maddie lets it go. smile

1. profile image49

That is a fair point my friend, one I accept !

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

You can post a link to your Hubs in "Extreme Hub Makeover" for feedback. There's also a HubMob thread where you can post links to the Hubs you've written for that HubMob. And a 30 Day Challenge thread where you can post Hubs you've written for the challenge (I think). 

Anywhere else on the forums, the link will be snipped (maybe not instantly, because the moderator can't be everywhere at once). 

Occasionally you'll see other threads where a link is not snipped, but there's a good reason for that.  For instance, you'll often see Darkside's "how to Hub" series hyperlinked, either by himself or other Hubbers - that's not self-promotion, it's acknowledged as a great resource for newbies. 

There is currently a thread about a Christmas Hub by Sandra Rinck.  It is possible that link might still be snipped - but she has specifically written the Hub to promote Hubs by a large number of Hubbers, not just herself, so it could be seen a benefit to the community.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

You can link to one of your own hubs when it's related to a discussion, not start it.

I don't think it's just related to how long you have been here.

If you are talking about Sandra's, that is an exception. She was promoting a hub that featured the hubs of other hubbers. I probably wouldn't have started such a thread but it's not really self-promotion.

There are a couple of threads, like the hubmob and the 30 day challenge that HubPages makes an exception for. And then again, some don't care and continue to self-promote until they get snipped smile

7. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Well its like any moderation I think
    It stays if it goes unnoticed I guess, or if no one reports it.

I think its that we know the ones who have been here a long time give the links for information for us not for promotion and we know new people are usually about promotion.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85

thanks you Marissa and others, just wondering. I do understand the helpful knowledge links like DS and others as most of the time those links are not starting a thread.

9. Pr0metheus profile image59
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

I'll post links to my hub if they're related to the conversation.  I have one I wrote on god that I will post in the religion forum if people question my beliefs.  I don't think it's really self promotion because I make nothing off the hub...

10. profile image49

I have tried promoting my Hubs but I still can't get any reads !

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try leaving them up for long enough!  You're after search engine traffic.  Google uses several variables to judge the value of a Hub - and one of them is age.  Although Hubs can get indexed (listed on Google) quickly, it can take a while for them to move up the rankings. 

All my income-producing Hubs started out earning mere pennies, and are gradually earning more and more as they get older.  Of course, some of my Hubs have still only earned $2, and I'm resigned to the fact they're not on subjects that do well. 

If I'd made a judgment on my Hubs in their first two or three months, I would have deleted several of the ones which are now good earners.  Don't be too quick to judge what's working and what's not.

1. profile image49

I am Marisa on the Health Ones, I still intend doing one a day and even now after only 2 weeks they are picking up outside traffic, trust me I do listen !

11. rebekahELLE profile image85

BC, you are a self-promotion in and of yourself. wink
    now everytime I see a pic of Johnny Depp or advertisement for Pirates of the Caribbean, I think of you.

just keep yourself from getting banned and your hubs will stay up longer. big_smile

1. profile image49

I can't get another ban, I am on a final warning smile

rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, you better behave pirate. wink

1. profile image49

Lol don't worry I know how far I can go and what I can get away with, on the plus side I also know that I can also flag those that wind me up, BadCo intends to build up another collection of humor hubs, the first will be tomorrow night, omg I hope that isnt promoting smile

No thats not promoting.

1. profile image49

I knew there was a reason I loved ya besides that sexy face, blonde hair and those piercing eyes smile

12. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Marisa Wright and Uninvited Writer have pretty much covered all the bases.

The only other place I'd say is allowed is when a person starts a thread in the HubPages Knowledge Exchange with an obvious attempt at giving a useful tip to others, be it in a hub they've written or another site.

In this example if the OP had posted a link to an external site in her post, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Discovering a new tip or trick and sharing it with the community isn't a problem either, such as the thread I made on
    How to add a Table Of Contents to your hubs.

Posting a link to a hub, or better yet an anchor in a hub (so it goes straight to the capsule that has the answer) is also allowed in the Need Help? Ask here sub-forum.

No point in copying and pasting and thereby creating duplicate content when the answer is already published in detail.

13. rebekahELLE profile image85

thanks DS. I don't see those links as self-promtion, they are helpful to everyone. in fact, I'm going to go read the table of contents hub, I didn't know about that! wink

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's my point. They are there to honestly help people out.

It wouldn't matter how long a person was a member here, if they were to start a thread in anywhre but the Hub Makeover sub-forum that said "Check out my hub! Leave comments!" they'd get snipped.

Old timers know better. Or should know better. And newbs either learn or get indignant about it.

If HubPages HQ didn't police it, it'd become a free for all.

1. profile image49

Is this in the makeover column ?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/24981

If you've got a problem with it, take it up with HP HQ.

1. profile image49

I just asked a simple question, a long standing member as you quoted that should know better. Is it in the makeover forum and if it isnt why hasnt it been snipped, a newbie would be !

And I gave a simple answer.

14. rebekahELLE profile image85

o.k. thanks all, that helps. smile

and BC, blondes do have more fun.

1. profile image49

Lol don't you start me smile

but shes right. wink

rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wink

2. profile image49

I can see why lol !

3. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well blonds speak for themselves but brunets leave a lasting impression! lol  j/k luv you.

Regarding the OP, I think it was me who prompted this thread.  I don't believe I was out of line for leaving a link in the OP because it is a HP community project.

I am not sure where else it would have been more appropriate to post it because to my knowledge, it would make more sense to post it in the forums because it is for Hubbers.

I think if it was a hub that listed a plethora of outgoing links or had nothing to do with the community and promotions of HubPages, then I think I would have been out of line.

I can't say for sure if I am or am not but I am sorry if it seems like I am getting special treatment.  If Maddie snipped it, I would understand but the question remains. 

How else would I get other hubber participation in a hp community project?

1. profile image0
            Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sandra, whether it's you or a group of hubbers, it's still self-promotion for a group of specific hubbers and not the entire Hubpages community. I was really surprised when I saw your thread that it was allowed.

But if it's okay with Maddie and the team, I guess it's okay. But I can see where people would be confused.

15. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

This is why I started the forum 'recommend a hubbers hub'

Each Hubber posts a link of their choice selected from te Hubber's portfolio above them,then someone will promote their choosing of one of your Hubs

Very confusing to explain but fun and working out really well.  Networking is playing a big role too.
    cheers
    kimberly

16. rebekahELLE profile image85

dinner time~~

1. profile image49

Something tasty I hope smile

17. profile image49

Follow the Darkones advice and post it in the relevant place, the makeover forum and yes DS you did give a SIMPLE reply !

18. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

<-----------------

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

<--------------------

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)