What does God mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 51-90 of 90 discussions (258 posts)
  1. fits4life profile image61
    fits4lifeposted 14 years ago

He is my all and all. He is so wonderful that he has given believers an opportunity to witness to nonbelievers in a forum. It is not by accident that nonbelievers would take time to discuss God. They have been led here for us to witness to. We must all remember that we are saved by grace. If it wasn't for God's grace and mercy, we all would be in the same boat. We also know that EVERY knee shall bow.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Some aren't as comfortable on their knees as others.

2. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

ok this new forum think is  screwing me up am i alone in my confusion as to  post order?

3. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

I am sorry you all feel me as a weird individual.  To put it as bluntly as I can I believe each of us deep down inside feels that little spot inside that allows the hope that we are capable of everything and that our potential can be boundless.  It is the nature of the personal spirit within.  It is my belief that God authors that and allows that and endows that upon those who prove themselves both in this life and in the next.

1. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Weird is not how your words should be described. Hateful, condescending, egotistic, selfish, contemptible, despicable, loathing and maligned are far more accurate.

To put it bluntly.

4. goldenpath profile image67

It might offer pause into the theory of God being something other than merciful if I were to tell you that those children who die, the vast number who are oppressed, the mentally handicapped are many of the most valiant of souls that God has ever sent to Earth.  Many of them have proven a worth far greater than most of the rest of us.  For many of them their mission was different from the rest of us.  This adds to the comment earlier that He has an extended view of life itself that we nor the Adversary can scarcely share.

5. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

87goldenpathposted 5 minutes ago
    Wooooooooooooooo, hold on a minute.  I never said that one is condemned for not believing.  His or her life circumstances may have aided this mindset.  This is the beauty of it.  We are all taught in simple pure curriculum in the spirit world.  We have agency there to accept or reject what we are taught.  It's all about personal agency and not vengeance of God.

You are getting away from the bible. The biblical god is pretty vengeful. This is what is taught. What spirit world are you talking about?

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He cleanses.  That's what was commanded of the Hebrews when they left Egypt to settle the Holy Land.  That's what happened to the Hebrews when they disobeyed and were carried off by the Babylonians.  These and other examples are God fulfilling His own words.  In scripture He decreed a promise for certain obedience and consequences for disobedience.  It was all in the intention to teach and instruct a people in certain principles.  These should not be equated to starving children of today or some other events.  Those are not judgements according to disobedience.

2. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The spirit world I am talking about comes from sacred texts that were stripped from the Bible many centuries ago.  Studying these texts in conjunction with the Bible and other sacred works brings a clarity and further understanding of the entire plan of life.  Life is freedom and agency.  This is why it was stripped from the original compilation of the Bible works.  At the time they believed that more agency given to the people meant less power to the king.  It was stripped out of fear and deceit from the Adversary and not out of inspiration.  All sacred works are inspired and should complement each other.

6. goldenpath profile image67

In fact, perhaps this is why I am a target so often.  I accept the works of all inspired records that complement each other.  These, together, complement Jesus as the Christ and explain many scientific things we hold as fact today.

7. pigfish profile image60
    pigfishposted 14 years ago

I read this quote by Mother Teresa earlier today.  It expresses what God means to me.
    "We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness.  God is the friend of silence.  See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls."

8. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

Thank you Earnest and (Q) for adding some needed seasoning to this bland thread. Nothing wrong with some intelligence for a change.

9. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 14 years ago

Thank you for your comments. God knows how you feel. It would also be appreciated to not break my sentences down. Not appreciated.
    Have a great day.

10. fruit.bandit profile image58
    fruit.banditposted 14 years ago

To me, God is what we use to describe something that we all experience. Mostly in silence, whatever it is, that connects everything and pushes our minds toward altruistic intention and compassion. This piece of our mental experience that allows us to steer our minds, and to shape the world around us by choice and action.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fruit:
      Of course that's simply an opinion.
      Opinions shouldn't guides one's life.
      That would be insane. Why are so many "insane?"

1. fruit.bandit profile image58
        fruit.banditposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is my explanation of what i experience. It is very much subjective, and the opinion doesn't necessarily guide my life. I operate on observation of cause and effect. I act in ways that, throughout my life, ive observed to be most satiating and most likely to produce a feeling of peace and contentment in my mind. Maybe selfish motivation. Maybe insane. But more often than not I am happy.

Can you offer an alternative guide? I'm very moldable, very open to suggestion

1. qwark profile image59
          qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fruit:
          Develop a keen sense of adaptability.
          Nature is kind to those adapt easily.
          Read all the fairytales ya'd like if ya enjoy em, but education, common sense and experience'll get ya thru life and ya'll be a happy son-0f a-gun like me.
          Gods and things like that arent necessary.
          OK? g'nite..:-)

11. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Only Jealous, earnestshub.
    God is Jealous. 
    That's one of His names.
    He's even jealous over you, because He wants you to Love Him.
    And yes, worship Him too.

Guess you're not open to that at all.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on. I am not open to it at all. smile Jealousy is a human trait, and not a good one! Any well developed human gets past jealousy. No god would be jealous, that is just crazy! smile

1. Valerie F profile image59
        Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, but who says jealousy is only a human trait?

12. profile image0

Jealousy is, sure, a human trait.  But humans were made in God's image, so we're back full-circle to the fact that it's also a Godly trait.

Jealousy is actually a good thing.
    Different from greed.  Many people get those two confused.

No, there is nothing either sane or good about jealousy. It is a neurotic response caused by low self worth. smile

13. profile image0

Are you ever jealous?

No, I am not jealous or possessive. I do not hate either.
      smile

And yet you often behave hatefully. What's with the insults otherwise? Or the vitriol?

14. profile image0

So...you're at a happy medium....no high or low feelings...right?

Oh, but I do think you hate God.   Or you seem to.  I'm not accusing, but you do seem to have an awful lot of strong emotions AGAINST Him.....

I have children and grandchildren. I feel love. I feel it deeply, I see my little ones and their joy makes me cry with joy, I feel it deep in my soul. Jealousy and hate can be overcome. I feel no hate for what I do not believe. smile

Okay, now how would you feel if your children and grandchildren turned on you and called you a "sky fairy"?

I've had worse! The twins are almost 5. and Angus is 6. smile

15. profile image0

What soul?

I do not have to believe in religion to believe in soul. smile
      It is not only a religious concept you know. smile Nor is spirit.

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you here. Soul and spirit are not a patent of religion.

16. profile image0

I mean....

define "soul"....?

17. profile image0

Finite soul?

or eternal soul?

Perhaps for understanding sake I will use the word psyche. smile

18. profile image57
    saved078posted 14 years ago

To me,God is my maintainer,provider,ever-present friend and an awesome God!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too bad. I hope that one day you find some real friends. wink

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and what has It provide you with?

19. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

2Pe 3:3  Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,

2Pe 3:4  And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

2Pe 3:5  For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

20. rainstreet profile image59
    rainstreetposted 14 years ago

Actually, Jesus was an historical figure.  He is referred to in sources other than the Bible.  His existence has never been seriously questioned. His impact on history was monumental, regardless of whether or not you believe him to be God. This fact is amazing, considering his meager roots. He was born into a poor Jewish family. He never held a public office or pursued success in terms of wealth or power. He did nothing but speak the truth and was killed for it.

In the time of Jesus, every male you would meet was named Jesus. It made John look like a rare name!
      The stories told by Jesus are bits and pieces of older beliefs as is much of the bible. The jesus stories started a long time before he did! smile

21. jacobkuttyta profile image44
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

God is God
    and God means God to me

22. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect.

Respecting others paths to god, regardless of whether or not it is the same path you took

23. pooja0908 profile image61
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

One who always be with me.

24. ShallyD profile image60
    ShallyDposted 14 years ago

God...its a believe....if you go by meaning you will never find ....

25. errum fattah profile image62
    errum fattahposted 14 years ago

GOD means creator and God is only ALLAH i have a proof in turkish 'el' means 'the' and 'elah' means 'God' so the word ALLAH  means the God..he's the creator jesus is not God he's the creation of God now tell me will u worship creator or creation? com'on study about ISLAM u'll find it true ISLAM is the religion of all prophets so come n embrasse it..

1. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh goody, an Islamic propagandist.

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We're equal opportunity purveyers of nonsense. She's kinda funny though. And look, she wants to be embarassed. A good quality in the religious.

26. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

You found God? If nobody claims him in 30 days, he's yours!

.. and if you are happy with him for another 30 days you can keep him all to yourself! smile

27. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

You have read the "love of the OT, so to be fair, here is some love from the quoran.
    By the way, Muslims deny a lot of their book too, just like the O.T of the bible is "out of context" to bible bashers!

Qur’an 9:123 “murder them and treat them harshly”
    Qur’an 3.28 Let not the believers take the unbelievers for friends rather than believers; and whoever does this, he shall have nothing of (the guardianship of) Allah, but you should guard yourselves against them, guarding carefully; and Allah makes you cautious of (retribution from) Himself; and to Allah is the eventual coming.
    NOTE: By ‘guarding carefully’, a Muslim should deceive the infidel. Acting as a friend is fine as long as it is to benefit the Muslim and protect Islam.

Another psychopath! lol lol

28. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

GOD means  Growing organic dope. big_smile

lol lol lol

2. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ALLLLLLLLLLRRRRRRIIIIGGGHHTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YUP!!!!!

29. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.

30. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

If you mean the God portrayed usually by the 'religions of the book', then to me he is a backwards dog. And you can take that literally or metaphorically.

31. divij profile image61
    divijposted 14 years ago

hidden power like wind

32. nikki1 profile image60

Thank you for your opinion one and all.

"FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT BELIEVE HIM GOD"
    It would be appreciated for those who do not believe in God. To not write anything that is cruel. It is not appreciated. If you don't believe in God so be it. Thats up to you. Just don't participate. Thank you. We Christians do believe in him.

33. earnestshub profile image81

What? You mean no reality allowed at all? lol

34. nikki1 profile image60

sad. Thank you for your cooperation.

35. nikki1 profile image60

Again, if you don't believe in our thread. Please don't contaminate this thread. Not appreciated.
    Thank you.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Contaminate this thread!?!...try the whole forum with religious stuff! it's toxic waste debate at best and as for Jesus, where is he now? in an easter egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you wank and contaminate it with your hairy palms. No wonder you became blind to the GOD wink

Er yes...I've tried shaving them hairy palms, but Jesus said to leave them as they are and I'll be able to go to heaven when it's my time, so I believed him!

1. Misha profile image63

Oh, I am afraid you were misled. How did you know it was Jesus if you were blind already? wink

Because he introduced himself by saying "Jesus Christ!, You've got hairy palms!!"

1. Misha profile image63

Gotcha! Yeah, this is an undeniable proof! big_smile

36. nikki1 profile image60

sad, the two comments just made is very disappointing. And, should not have been done. Highly inappropriate and doesn't represent Hubpages quality in my opinion.

1. Misha profile image63

Please, don't contaminate hubpages with your posts. Not appreciated. Thank you sad

2. waynet profile image68

Hey it's important to express opinion whatever that may be that's why we are free to roam the lands of planet earth!

3. waynet profile image68

And if you don't like hairy palms, then look away now....

http://hubpages.com/u/2565629_f520.jpg

37. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOLZ, some serious bation master lol

Yep, the hairs have turned grey, must consult my doctor!

38. nikki1 profile image60

This thread is about God, not your hair. This is in my opinion. Spam. This has nothing to do with God. Both of you in my opinion, very sad.

God made my hairy palms in his image!

1. Misha profile image63

And I witnessed God doing this! big_smile

1. Hokey profile image60
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my!!  It happened to me too. Stigmata????

2. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

39. earnestshub profile image81

Whereas god moved the hair from the top of my head to my chin! smile

40. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I, not god, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is gone , tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)