losing love handles and flabby belly after having a baby

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Sarah-Ann profile image57
    Sarah-Annposted 14 years ago

Ive got a 9month old daughter, its hard for me to find time for me to tone up my body, between running a house hold during the day and working at night and not getting much sleep at all, ive been doing my best to loose weight and tone up, ive lost 10kg... im now 57kg and i was to lose about 2-5kg more and tone up (im a short person so its not underweight) What are some very effective exersizes i can do at home to help tone up and sculpt my body.

I can't do classes or afford a gym or equiptment... as i don't have much money or time, and don't have a baby sitter.
    So far i do 30mins of walking a day, and the usual crunches, sit ups, leg lifts, light tonning weights ect and eating rather healthy.. any other tips?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sarah-Ann, unless you're extremely short (like under 160cm), your problem isn't your weight, it's lack of muscle tone.

Try this - stand sideways to a mirror and straighten your arms above your head (reach for the ceiling). Hold that position and look sideways at your reflection. If your tummy disappears, your problem is weak muscles - there's no fat on your stomach.  If it doesn't disappear, your problem is fat. 

Walking won't tone your midsection so I'd be replacing the 30 minutes walking with 30 minutes body work of some kind.  There are lots of DVD's.  I wrote a Hub about belly dance workouts.

1. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes Marissa is right. Walking will get you fit and help lose weight, but yes, you need to concentrate on your mid section.
        You should check out her belly dancing hub, I have heard from so many women it is fantastic for toning that section of your body, especially after child birth.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

belly dancing is AWESOME!!!!!!

2. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Hokey Pokey!!!!   big_smile

1. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO Hokey

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it sounds like you're not losing it because your body still needs it with a baby, work, home and no sleep. you don't say how tall you are, but 57 kg doesn't sound overweight.

sometimes the body hangs on to fat reserves if the body is consuming a lot of energy which you are. it goes into a 'survival' type mode in case you aren't eating enough to produce the energy you need.

I would concentrate on keeping your energy reserves by eating as healthy as you can,  and trying to improve your sleep. I know it's hard with a baby trying to do everything.

here's a good article I found that might help also.  good luck. wishing you well.
      http://www.fitpregnancy.com/yournewlife … 29927.html

4. laralu profile image58
      laraluposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got back into shape after having my daughter with 10 minutes a day of jumprope.  It works your entire body and is great cardio.  Shorter bursts of intense exercise will burn through more calories than any extended workout.  Your metabolism stays elevated much longer throughout the day and then some. 
      Check out Tabata.  It will rock your world.

5. joshuanoerr profile image61
      joshuanoerrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Working your abs does absolutely nothing to lose the fat on your belly. Some of the best body builders in the world don't do a single ab exercise (Branch Warren for one).

This is the answer. Abs are made in the kitchen. Get your nutrition right. And absolutely ignore the Slim Supple Strong guy.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

"losing love handles and flabby belly after having a baby"

Why would you want to lose your husband right after you had a baby?   hmm   wink   big_smile

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

be patient and do some more exercise, I read alexandriaruthk hub about it the other day about quick workouts for post natal something like that  --

just diet and you will soon be there, after two month when I gave birth before I lost all the pounds now, I am back to normal, 98 lbs skinny but I am healthy, just be patient

and take care of yourself!

4. mixfitness profile image62
    mixfitnessposted 14 years ago

Focus on eating less and cut calories where you can.  You can exercise until the cows come home, but if you don't modify what you're eating - in combination with exercise - you won't see results!

1. myownworld profile image73
      myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

exactly! First of all, aerobic exercises (which help you burn overall body fat - running being one of the most effective) along with a controlled, healthy diet helps you lose excessive weight; then introducing resistance exercise (with hand weights) works wonders to tone up muscles.
      But it's important to be consistent with exercise and food control if you want to see long term results. And remember, it took you 9 months to gain that weight, so give your body time to lose it. smile

5. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

There are lots of videos out there on how to work out with your baby.  Here's just one of many I found in a quick search of YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gss7S8K3bH8

6. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Keep breast feeding.That baby will suck all the fat out of you.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hahahahahahaha big_smile

7. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I found that swimming, resistance bands, leg and arm weights and using the gazelle,all helped with muscle toning and overall weight loss.
    even if you're not over 50, these will help wink
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-a-Work … r-50-Woman

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

You also didn't say what age you are. Young mums can lose weight quicker than older mums.
    Like Marissa said though, it sounds like to need to tone muscle, rather than lose weight.
    Don't you dare go on a diet at this stage, you can't afford to lose any energy with a nine month old to look after.
    Any excercise aimed at your middle body will do the trick.
    Sit ups, belly dancing, anything along that line...
    Btw, you said you walk a lot, and good on you, walking is good for you, but do you leisurely amble, or do you walk fast enough to make your pulse speed up a bit?

9. workoutdaily profile image61
    workoutdailyposted 13 years ago

Quick exercises multiple times a day is the key. I am the mom of a 3 month old, and while I jog him in the jogger everymorning, throughout the day I do these exercises. They are short and are done while baby is doing other things, so I don't take time away from him.
    When he is on his play mat. do a set of walking lunges. preferably the length of a hallway and back (do this up to 4 sets) should take about 5 minutes.
    When he goes down for an afternoon nap, get in a quick circuit. 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, and 20 back extension and repeat 2 times.
    Do these things everyday, rotating in different exercises, but always keeping it under 10 minutes!

10. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

since you dont have time for the gym, what your doing will work fine. Maybe you can run with the baby stroller once in awhile. Your body burns sugar the first 15-20minuts of exercise then fat after that, so add a few minutes to your walks. Also walk on an empth stomach.

11. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Its the Bingo wings you want to watch out for

12. Suzie Parker profile image61
    Suzie Parkerposted 13 years ago

I would suggest that you train with heavier weights to build lean muscle mass that will help to speed up your metabolism and it will also help you to lose fat faster.

And it is also a good idea to take up a sport (like tennis, golf or a team sport). That way you will be more likely to stick to your cardio and it is also a great chance to get out of the house and socialize with people. That type of cardio is like interval training that will speed up your fat loss.

It is also a good idea to go see a nutritionist/dietitian. I've recently seen one. And it has helped me get the right diet for my needs and to help me lose fat. She can do the same for you and she will take into consideration all your specific needs.

Good luck!

13. Yourfitnessguru profile image60
    Yourfitnessguruposted 13 years ago

Great article and advice. I agree with everything you say. My wife also thanks you. :-)

14. phildazz profile image67
    phildazzposted 13 years ago

Great awesome comment by marisa Wright which I completely agreed with. However, I totally disagree that someone can't lose belly fat from walking. Here's an excerpt from one of my hubPages.

First you must adopt the correct posture of keeping your spine erect and your stomach tucked in. With proper concentration this stance will keep much of your body weight off your legs. By doing so, you are more than likely to develop a rhythm in motion. You must find and develop a comfortable rhythm to flow with or else jogging becomes strenuous.

In the above excerpt, replace jogging with walking; when you walk be sure to swing your hands back and forth while following the procedure for your stomach and spine as slated above. Walk for three miles per day. My eldest daughter Candice Wright followed this exact procedure after giving birth to her two boys and she has abs like Ironwoman. This walking procedure will not only  flatten your stomach but shape your backside as well. Please, don't forget to focus on the rules or it will not work.

15. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

That's why I refuse to lose my love handles and flabby belly... just in case I feel like having a baby in five or six years from now. Might as well wait, right? wink

16. profile image52
    alexis cooperposted 10 years ago

"Have you always wanted to lose the extra belly fat that you have been carrying?
    If you are like most adults you will want to shave a few inches in your stomach area !
    This guide will help you in your pursuit of a flatter, small tummy.
    Lose Belly Fat: 20 Amazing tips you can't live without!
    Download it at
    http://trck.me/213362
    or just go to amazon.com's Kindle store.
    If you got one the first time, give one or recommend to a friend in need! http://alexiscooper.com/books/lose-bell … out/"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)