"Orbs" in photographs

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (58 posts)
  1. profile image0
    crmhaskeposted 13 years ago

I'm home for a month to save money before I go back to school because I'm dirt broke and since I've been here for a week I've gotten into several science vs. supernatural debates with my Dad.

He is trying to convince me that this "orb" on a photograph is a ghost, and I'm trying to convince him it's the reflection of the camera's flash on the lens as it reflected off of something in the background (commonly dust particles).  This is the same person I debated the sixth sense with - he was adamant it was the ability to see ghosts, and I was adamant it is our sense of balance (I made a joke about having a 7th sense of being able to tell when people are looking at me, and it went right over his head)).

Anyways, I was just curious what people think about those "photo orbs."  I think it's just light reflecting on the lens.

1. Mothings profile image61
      Mothingsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've often wondered about those myself. The scientist in me will tend to agree with your explanation of this phenomena. Yet, the mystic in me would rather find a more exotic explanation. Ghosts...ahhh more like benevolent energies released from the dust particles by the flash of the camera. I will say, that I have gotten those orbs on pictures taken without the use of a flash. Interesting topic though.

1. profile image0
        crmhaskeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a very interesting perspective!

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
        pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Kirlian Photography captures biomagnetic energy fields of different living things, and I am not sure normal cameras do but they could. Orbs could be energies that we are not yet able to discern with the naked eye.

In some eastern philosophies it is said that when we die our yin energy is said to still exist when our physical shell dies. The yang energy was used by the physical.

So the orbs could be wandering yin energy that has little use in the etheric world without a shell. Transformation into another form of energy might take a bit longer for whatever reason. Sooner or later though it will transform to whatever. Its the nature of energy under different conditions.

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you learn that at the school of life? Notice that Kirlian photography is explained using lessons learned from a school. LOL!

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Your point being?

That you have no idea what you're talking about as you go on talking gobbledegook about wandering orbs.

Haha you are just too funny!

Tell all since you seem to know what I am talking about?

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no clue about "photo orbs", but I've had my kid's friends sleep over, they went home and told thier mom about the orbs they played with in the early morning at my house.

1. profile image0

Really?  That's kinda interesting.  I've had some weird experiences as a kid with "floating orbs" when I had my bedroom in the basement, but I've always chalked it up to physiological hallucinations.  Who really knows though right.

1. profile image0

oh ha ha, just saw this, see my later on in time response. smile

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IMHO if it looks lie a lens flare, it's a lens flare.  I mean something can look like a cat but actually be an alien, but it isn't likely.

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here's an explanation, you could easily make your own orbs and fool the gullible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_%28optics%29

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wiki covers it for me. smile

2. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Me too, reflection of light.  Out of curiosity, what would he say about a photo of someone with red eyes?

1. profile image0

He fully accepts them as light refracting off the surface of the eye.  I don't want to argue with him about it because he can't have a debate without feeling like his beliefs are being judged or threatened.  He gets upset and starts yelling.

I'm really not trying to tell him he's wrong, just that I believe differently.  Believe and know are two very different verbs, and I definitely believe more than I know.

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You and I both.

3. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

maybe your Dad isn't young enough to know everything ?

1. profile image0

Nope, definitely not wink

I sometimes wish I could believe in the supernatural, would make life seem more exciting.

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a supernatural - we don't know nearly as much as we think we do.  I think ghosts pretty much vanished when flickery candles and gas lighting went, but there are loads of other unexplained stuff to play with yet.

1. profile image0

I don't believe in an eternal soul so it would be contradictory to my present belief system to accept the existence of ghosts.  I don't deny the possibility, but at this present moment in time it isn't a part of my belief system.

1. profile image0

things can exist beyond "eternal souls" and not believing doesnt make them stop existing.

like....maybe a "ghost" isnt a soul. Its something that does exist, but we havent quite figuerd it out yet.

2. alternate poet profile image67

Supernatural can't be part of your belief system because it is unknown big_smile   I mean that everything we don't know is super (beyond) natural.  To NOT believe that there are things that we don't know is clearly ridiculous, but to NOT acknowledge that we don't know is how religions get off.

1. profile image0

I agree.

I believe in the possibility, I just haven't encountered anything that has given me cause to accommodate that belief to be more than a possibility.

1. alternate poet profile image67

nor have I - but if you encounter it and find out what it is it is not supernatural any more - just natural ??   I like to leave it out there unknown, it is more fun walking home in the dark with more gullible people big_smile

1. profile image0

Haha, essentially

And yes, making company with people who are afraid of the dark, in the dark, is definitely a lot more fun

2. profile image0

ohhhh.....just wait 'till you do!!!!  smile  call me crazy..but Ive seen stuff that prove to me beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is more out there then "us". gods, demons, "drugs", ghosts, fairys, I dont know....there are things that happen that can not be fully explained. Other than "your crazy".

the fact your posting this thread, I bet you've seen stuff..but "explained" it away...

1. profile image0

lol "drugs"

I've seen some pretty interesting things on shrooms tongue

And your right, I am pretty proficient at "explaining things away" - I still from time to time entertain the possibility.

I meditate on a regular basis, and I've had some interesting mental experiences that I've also "explained away" physiologically.

1. profile image0

hahahahahahahahaaa. ok. you win.  lol  me too.

4. Sparhawke profile image62
    Sparhawkeposted 13 years ago

I have seen a lot of these orb photographs myself and tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, a lot of the time there is nothing to disturb the dust and they show up...much better than these are those photographs that show up various light anomalies that cannot be explained away in this manner because they are just too big.

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Sometimes, I believe the orbs in photos are just dust, other times, I am pretty sure they are something else. 

For years, one of my sons always had a bright white 'flash' just off the left side of his head in photos, even when the sun was from the other direction or when he was inside.  Several times, when others were taking pictures of kids for an event, they had much trouble getting his to turn out.  All of his were much too light, as though there were a bright flash in front of him, is what teachers told me.

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I had an interesting experience yesterday. 

I had never before in my long life heard that those little circular lens flares were considered to be "ghosts" until I read through some of the Hubs here in HP (a few weeks ago), and followed links to sites that promised "real pictures of ghosts."  The orbs that I saw were not something I had ever thought of as something supernatural, but it was interesting to hear/read that other people think they are.

So yesterday I completed and published two Hubs that told some little "ghost stories" I know - mild stuff, actually pretty humorous overall, but true.  I thought it would be nice to accompany them with pictures. For one of the Hubs, I just used some pics from Microsoft.  For the other one, I used pictures that I myself had taken, including two that were taken in the church where the story about me took place.

In one of those two pictures, guess what I saw? Numerous orbs, all over the place!  I took the picture about five-six years ago, and I hadn't looked at it for more than ten seconds since that time, so I didn't know about the orbs until I saw the picture again on the Edit page of my Hub.

I still believe that the circles are lens flares, but I admit it was a bit spooky - and fun, too - to see them associated with a Hub that told a ghost story.  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

7. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I believe it is a "ghost" it isn't the flash from a camera, a flash would be brighter and those little orbs have been proving to be something other then a flash. I agree with your dad smile

I have written about my own ghost experience on HP and it is one that I will never forget it and I now have children of my own. smile

1. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I provided an explanation in the link above, did you not read it? The flashes from the camera do not necessarily have to be bright. smile

8. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5431828_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5431831_f248.jpg

I'm sorry, but I'm not buying that whole dust or insect thing. I've taken plenty of pictures and you can tell that these orbs have a distinct size and color, and each orb is floating at a different distance from the camera. These were recently taken in Cassadaga, Florida, which is a town of psychics.

9. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5432196_f248.jpg

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is me laying on the couch. What does it look like to you above me?

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It looks like a heart with four legs! big_smile

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I may have this wrong, I'm one of those that can't find a baby on an ultrasound; but is that a hand?

10. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

The orbs in photographs are just dust particles moving around in the air in front of the camera's len. It is just the light reflecting off the dust particles when someone take pictures in a dark room. This have been explained years ago and they are not ghost as some people believe them to be.

Here you are, pennyofheaven.

And dust particles to you are what? Energy or not energy?

Dust particles, of course. lol

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

You know? There are orbs and then there are ORBS! Okay? I visited Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp (which is supposed to be standing on a vortex)and I took some night photos and there were a lot of orbs. I have done the same exact thing here in Miami, in my backyard which is pitch black, the Everglades, etc. and I don't get the same type of orbs or as many. Now we are in South Florida, and I know there are more bugs and dust in the Everglades than in Cassadaga. So, if I used the same camera and the same setting, what's the explanation?

1. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Klarawieck, the Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp is a probably a dusty, dry environment. Correct me if I am wrong. The Everglades in Florida is a moist environment but you can get a similar effect out there also if the flying bugs are near your camera lens when you take flash photo. The orbs people see in pictures are light bouncing off of dust particles that are out of focus in your pictures. The dust particles are not moving as fast as the flying bugs in your night photos that is the other reason you do not see these in your photo in places like the Everglades.

1. profile image0

The Cassadaga hotel was a bit dusty but I didn't get any orbs in those pictures. Some of the orbs showed up in pictures that were taken during the day and without the use of flash. Now isn't that strange? hmm

1. melpor profile image90
          melporposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Klarawieck, it does not happen all the time when you take pictures in the dark. The conditions must be right such as the right lens, direction of lighting, field of depth setting on the camera, position of camera with respective to the motion of the dust movement , etc. These pictures are taken by chance but you can take them anytime if you know how to create the proper conditions to make it happen.

1. profile image0

Oh! Melpor!!! THat's so complicated!!! Can't we just agree that there is a friggin' ghost standing in front of the lense?! hmm

2. A Troubled Man profile image60

Maybe not sitting on a vortex as much as sitting on a gold mine, unless the vortex is aimed directly at your wallet. lol

"Orb Photography Tour
      A walking tour of Cassadaga to explore energy spots. Take your own photo or see the pictures taken by your guide. Two hour tour. Adults $25, Children 7 to 12 $12, Children 6 and under Free. Camp closes at 10pm."

http://www.cassadaga.org/

1. profile image0

Yeah, well... I didn't take the Orb Tour. I knew better than that! Most of my pictures had really cool orbs in them.
        I wonder if anyone has ever tried to do an experiment to see if orbs might still show up in a dust-free enclosed area that claims to have spirit activity and where orbs would normally be seen. That might be something worth trying. But then again, skeptics will always be skeptics and believers will always believe.

And, cons will always be cons selling gobbledegook to the gullible.

12. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 12 years ago

I believe that angels and demons are real. The spiritual world sometimes becomes visible to us and I've seen a red orb floating around our house before. We have had demonic spirits in our house before. As for ghosts, I believe they are a trick of Satan that he would like you to believe they are a dead loved one but I believe when you die, your spirit goes one place or another and does not linger on the earth. I got way off the subject, but from what I've been told and witnessed for myself, the white orbs are angels and the red orbs are demonic spirits.

13. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

OK, I'm am going to throw my two cents worth into the fray, I only wish I would have heard of this 14 months ago instead of now, but I wasn't on HP back them...my loss I guess. As far as "orbs" found on photographs 90% of the time they are caused by dust particles, the rarer ones are usually due to light bounce back, stray light entering the camera housing, out of date film, incorrect processing, stray light from other sources independent of the subject and the photo taker. A good example would be to photograph a subject while someone else aims a reflection from a wrist watch face, especially gold tone ones, into the general area of the subject. Most of the time this will show as an "orb".
    As far as the other "orbs" I think I will leave that to the experts...cool

14. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years ago

Can supernatural anomalies really be seen in images?  You see it all the time in tv shows.  I am just curious how it happens.  I don't necessarily think it is possible, but I am a little curious about how all that paranormal tracking technology is suppose to work.

1. profile image0

with all the technology and programs available at hand, it's hard to know if the videos they show on TV are the real deal or not. I believe in the spirit world and have seen apparitions form before my eyes, but I've never caught one on tape. Orbs, yes... Could they be dust particles? Sure. Are they always dust particles? Hmmm... I think not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)