Do Glasses make vision worse?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (38 posts)
  1. TruthDebater profile image54
    TruthDebaterposted 13 years ago

Do or can glasses and contacts make vision worse than without? It seems like they would cause the eyes to become dependent on the glasses or contacts and then worsen. It this completely false? I had horrible vision on an eye exam in '97, but I can still read, drive, and see good enough, not great, and I have never worn glasses or contacts.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I say a show that covered this beleif (spread by Scientologists, amongst others) and said research showed the reverse was true.  People with similar vision deficits declined faster if they did not wear glasses then if they did, due to eye strain.

TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. If eye strain makes the vision worse, why does eye comfort with glasses make vision worse when taking them off?

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wonder about this too! I had perfect vision until my early 40s when I noticed that when reading the daily paper I had to hold it a certain distance from my eyes else the words blurred a bit. I went to an optician and he gave me a pair of +0.5 glasses which he said was the minimum. I only used them for reading but in the main didn't use them much. Then about 4 or 5 years later, I realised I could no longer read without glasses.
          Long story short, I got variofocals from my optician about 2 years ago, and since them my eyes have deteriorated to the point when I can't see without them. If someone wakes me by phoning me, I can't read their number until I have put my glasses on.
          I can no longer see not just a distant horizon, but things in front of me are a little out of focus even while wearing glasses.
          My eyes seem to be getting worse daily. I struggle to read - I need really good light and strong readng glasses to read by.
          This all inside 10 years. I don't have a 'condition' except for crooked arteries in the backs of my eyes. Have been told it is age related.
          I'd take up knitting, to go with the rocking chair I'm going to have to order, except I'd probably not be able to see what I'm doing! lol

Ha, thanks Izzy. Just be sure not to knit your fingers together! I'm jk. I hope your eyes start getting better, if they get worse, I will read to you as long as I can still see.

2. ptosis profile image67
            ptosisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah when I hit 40 - I though I was going to go blind - but it stopped at 1+ for me in the last decade. I don't believe glasses make your eyes worse and that it's just an old wives tale. You eyes just get worse - period.

2. psycheskinner profile image83

You vision only seems worse because of the contrast.  When your visions is constantly bad you notice it less than when it is sometimes corrected and sometimes bad.

I accept this. But dependency or laziness to the eyes from glasses or contacts seems logical to factor in to some extent.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice that you feel comfortable driving and putting other people at risk by driving when you "see good enough, not great".

How bad can you see? Do you drive an SUV just to be sure the other guy dies instead of you if your "not great" vision lets you down?

Ha, why the exaggeration all the time? Good as in, i've never cause an auto accident and I haven't had a ticket in the last 10 years. Also haven't ran over any animals or children, except for squirrels. Does this give you more comfort?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not at all. I am glad you feel comfortable driving with "not great vision" and have "never cause an auto accident."

Bet you have seen plenty though......... wink

I only have bad vision on eye exams. I see good when driving without straining. I have seen a bit.

1. Polly C profile image90
              Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But can you read a number plate unaided from 20 metres?  Because if not then you should not be driving at all.

If I couldn't, compare me with a person twice my age with bifocals that is allowed to drive and see which one of us has more awareness while driving. Shouldn't awareness for license be tested as well?

1. Polly C profile image90
                  Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a whole separate issue, and it is quite true that many eldery people are driving who probably shouldn't be. Yes, the reflexes are not as good when older. But to be able to drive safely then you have to be able to see clearly - just being able to see the cars is not enough.

I cannot read number plates withou contact lenses, and I would not try to drive without them. Someone else said that your eyes seem worse because of the contrast when you take them out, and that is true.  Before you wear glasses/contact lenses, you do not realise how much more sharply other people can see. There is nothing wrong with wearing glasses etc. and rest assured, I have been wearing contacts day in day out for 17 years and my eyes haven't really changed in that time. (which I know, because I have checks every 6 months) My partner has worn contacts for 25 years, yet last year he actually had an improvement in his prescription.

Of course, your prescription maybe totally different, we are both short sighted which means we cannot see in the distance well, yet I am typing this without wearing contacts right now. Only your optician can advise you, and btw, if you drive without being able to see the required distance then you will be held account for any accident that may occur and could end up in court for dangerous driving...and of course it could be worse.

So if you ran a redlight and T-boned me while I was trying to cross, but I didn't have my glasses, it would be my fault?

3. jennshealthstore profile image82
      jennshealthstoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure about prescription glasses. But I do know that those non-prescription reading glasses can make your vision worse. I think it has to do with choosing the wrong strength. They can put a lot of strain on your eyes. I would imagine if you go to an eye doctor, they know exactly what you need, so your eyes will not have to strain.

4. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I started to become near sighted at the age of 15.
      Being as vain as I am, and because an optician told me my eyes would become dependent and subsequently worsen, I refused to wear glasses. It was only when I started to lose friends (snubbing people on the street etc., because I couldn't see who they were), I bought hard contact lenses with a strength of -4.5. Hard lenses are said to prevent the sight from further deteriorating ... nowadays I wear comfortable soft lenses with a strength of -6.5.
      So, not wearing glasses was of no help, just as hard lenses weren't.
      BTW, driving a vehicle is a tremendous responsibility, and you have to be able to see perfectly.

5. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I’m wondering what the dickens one would get an eye exam for if one has no intent of using the prescription. what is the point?

I couldn't see the doctors office and went to the wrong doctor and got the wrong exam!

1. pylos26 profile image70
          pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

First Truthdebater wrote:

“ I can still read, drive, and see good enough, not great, and I have never worn glasses or contacts.”

Then Truthdebater wrote:

“ I couldn't see the doctors office and went to the wrong doctor and got the wrong exam!”

I don’t know much Truthbebater…but…I feel like something is wrong here.

I can see these tiny words, but can't see a person or a car? Come on. Ha
            I feel like people are trying to sell me into getting glasses.

6. Austenjane profile image60
      Austenjaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think glasses/contacts correct the problem but they never fix the problem. I learned that there are possibilities to gain your normal eyesight back but it would depend on the axial length of your eyes.
      Have you ever heard of the Bates Method? I can't really tell how true it is as I have never experienced its effects on my eyesight (because I've 20/20 vision, Thank God). But I've heard so many testimonies on youtube regarding the effects of the method. They're all natural and easy to perform so I guess it's worth the shot.

1. Austenjane profile image60
        Austenjaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I found this site, I've told you about the Bates method: http://perfecteyesightcenter.com/the-ba … t-glasses/

Well I hope this helps, TruthDebater. You could check more info on google or you can even search youtube videos. There are videos there like Nathan Oxenfeld's channel. He's gonna perform those methods for you to follow. Anyway, Good luck if you're gonna go with it. smile

2. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I think that all depends - in my son's case, he has a severe nystagmus (his eye flutters left to right constantly because of a hole in his pupil, parts of his eye, etc).  So if he is refracted and wears glasses, looking through the refraction helps him temporarily yet over the course of hours, that extra focusing tires his eye and decreases his vision.

It is said as well that by wearing glasses, you 'teach your eyes to be lazier' meaning that they have a harder time focusing on the same material once you take them off. 

But the argument also stands that without glasses, headaches, eye strain and fatigue are huge factors - I prefer to wear the blasted glasses!

Excellent information, Thank You.

3. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 13 years ago

In the Middle Ages, glasses were considered to be temporary, to retrain the eyes to focus properly. From the medieval scientific studies I have read, the doctor would prepare a set of spectacles that was opposite to the correction needed; that would retrain the eyes towards their proper focus (because having to correct twice as far would bring the focus back to the middle).

1. psycheskinner profile image83

Of course in those times they also drained people of blood to balance their humors, often killing them in the process.

4. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

haha...cool.

5. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

It seems like in this case it would depend on why you have bad eyesight to start with. If you have bad eyesight because of lazy eye muscles then yes, wearing glasses could definitely make it worse by not making those eye muscles do the work to come back into focus, especially if the lenses are stronger than needed. However, most age-related eyesight loss and a lot of other eyesight loss has nothing to do with the eye muscles, and wearing glasses or soft contacts will not affect the shape of the eye or the placement of the lens. I have heard of cases where hard contacts have caused some minimal re-shaping, but it's on the corneal surface which is not generally responsible for eyesight loss anyway unless you've recently had eye surgery. In my own experience...when I was little I had to do eye exercises to fix a lazy eye, which it did, and have had to wear glasses since age four due to severe myopia. I've now been wearing glasses for 20 years (alternating with soft contacts for the last 10) and since I stopped growing so my eyes stopped reshaping my prescription hasn't moved, and despite wearing corrective lenses my lazy eye has never returned.

On the other side of the issue...my husband had perfect eyesight until about 40, when age-related eyesight loss kicked in. It took him about a year or so before his eyes settled at needing a 1.5 diopter correction, and they've stayed there since...almost 10 years...and he uses his glasses daily for close-up reading and for surgery.

6. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

The manufacturers of glasses have conspired with product wrapper manufactures, who produce instructions in a print so tiny that you practically need a micro-scope to read them.  Either that or since I hit the big 4 0, my eyesight has started to deteriorate.  Either way, I can't shop or sign anything for that matter, without a pair of the hated bins.  As I approach my 50th, I am gradually becoming like a tiny female version of Mr Magoo.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do glasses make your vision worse? They do and they don't. Let me explain. I had miopia since 3rd grade. Slowly, minus1,5, minus 2, minus3,5. I would come to the doctor and he would prescribe stronger glasses, then stronger again, then again. When it hit -5. I started to think. It was like my body did not want me to see 100%! As soon as I get new 20/20 vision glasses, my sight deteriorates and in 3-6 months I do not see perfect any more. I loose some vision, get new glasses and loose more. I stopped wearing glasses all the time. Only when I needed,  I would put them on, like when I watch move, or have to meet somebody, etc. I always had them in my pocket but not on my nose. I stopped loosing my eyesight. Then I got married and later when I gave birth to my first son I had to wear them permanently, because I could not afford not to see everything about my baby boy, it would be too reckless. Sure enough my eyesight statred to deteriorate! To make long story shorter, now I have two pairs of glasses. One is -5, that I wear permanently, and another I am supposed to see 20/20 in, I have it in my drawer, I used to wear it when I was driving, because I did not want to kill somebody, just because I did not see "it" coming. What I learned about vision:
      Yes, glasses are a crutch! If you do not have a leg, you need it, but if you do - train your leg to be stronger. You can do the same with glasses, but there is one but. Yes, you can train your eyes to see better, may be not 100% but better. I tried it(exercises for your eyes), they work, your eye vision improves, but the problem is you cannot drop your crutch, you need it. And as soon as you put it on you  body "remembers" - it is easer that way and you loose you gained vision pretty fast! That my problem. I cannot afford not to wear my watercloset lids on my nose. I have to work, I am not driving now, but I cannot miss the bus!
      That's my story, believe it or not.

I appreciate the hub. It was very interesting and informative. I would have voted it up! Thank You.

7. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

I always felt straining your eyes deteriorated your vision.Glass do help but now you have these lasik and zyoptix laser treatments which are a permanent cure and get u rid of glasses but very expensive.
    P.S. Opticians say these treatments are lifetime investments:)

1. wychic profile image85
      wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Luckily, the price is coming down smile. In the nearest quality eye treatment center, my 7 diopter corrective surgery with LASIK will be about $3,800, including lifetime eye exams and "tune-up" surgeries. This does seem like a lot just looking at it, but we figured out that with the money not spent in contacts, glasses, lens solution, etc. it will pay itself back in 8 years. I have about 20 years or so before age-related eyesight loss kicks in, and that would also prevent me from having to get expensive bifocals or multifocals when age-related does kick in. The only problem is that some people can't get it due to thin corneas, eye disorders or family history of disorders, etc., and some people just aren't that concerned about being able to see out of their own eyes. Me, I've never been able to see further than the end of my own arm without correction (now I can't even see that far), so surgery is a definite plan for my future smile.

8. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

You all may be interested in reading the findings of an opthamologist from the early 20th century.  His name is Dr. Wm. H. Bates.  He did extensive scientific studies on human subjects and animals (remember this was like 1910).

Here's just one of many sites on the subject.  The Bates Method

He found that poor vision of all kinds is caused by strain in the eye muscles.  It is generally a result of staring, stress, and not blinking every couple of seconds (your eyes knew how to do this automatically when you were small).  Once the strain is removed, vision always returned to normal, or at least improved.  This is the difficult part...removing the stress and strain.  But it can be done.  You just need to allow your eye muscles to do what they were meant to do, and not rely on glasses so much.

Because computer screens are nowhere near as sharp as the printed word, our eyes have to work harder to resolve the fine detail.  I believe this is one of the leading causes of poor vision...unfortunately.  I could see perfectly well until I started using a computer.  Within 3 years I needed glasses to read and work at the computer. 

You may also be interested in a book which details the Bates Method.  It is very interesting indeed.  It's called "Relearning to See" by Thomas Quackenbush. 

Prepare to be shocked at Dr. Bates' findings.  They fly in the face of what is the generally held theory of vision.  Yet, The Bates Method just makes too much sense to be dismissed out of hand.  You decide.

9. erorantes profile image49
    erorantesposted 8 years ago

I asked  a few people about the eyes and glasses. I wear eyeglasses for reading only. I when to see the eye Doctor. The eye gets better with the eyeglasses.  Also, the eyeglasses control the vision of getting bad or worse. The eyeglasses make it easier to see, so you are not making your eye extra work to see. It is better to be under the care of a Doctor.The eye exam is only 49.99 at the mall's eye clinics. Good luck with your eyes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)