Is it grammatically correct placing comma after the word and?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. astigpinoy16 profile image59
    astigpinoy16posted 13 years ago

Hello guys!

I just want to ask something, as you can see on my subject of my topic, I am confused when to put comma after the word "and"? I have read hubs about how to use comma, but some time I see sentences where comma is preceded by the word and.

I know how to use comma like: use a comma to separate elements of a series, use a comma before conjunction, use a comma to set off nonessential clauses, and introduce direct quotes and before an attribution. But putting comma after conjunctions I have no idea.

Do you have any idea when to use comma after the word "and" or other conjunction words?

Thanks.

1. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this
        astigpinoy16posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Amie.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are situations where you will see a comma after "and".  For instance:

"He said she was crazy and, in my opinion, he was correct."

However, if "and" is being used to connect two parts of a sentence together with nothing in between, I can't see any situation where a comma would be correct.  Although one thing you'll learn with English grammar is "never say never"!

1. Royo1234 profile image60
        Royo1234posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marissa.

In the sentence,

"He said he was crazy and, in my opinion, he was correct."

The "in my opinion" can be left out and the sentence will still make sense.
        It's just qualifying the "he was correct".

You could still read the sentence, "He said she was crazy, and he was correct." It would still be a perfectly good sentence, though maybe not as nuanced as you want it to be. Adding "in my opinion" gives that extra nuance and you put commas on either side to show that it can nicely be snippeted out of the sentence, without taking away all the "sense".

So this is the only time I can think of where you'll find a comma after "and". Maybe there are others?

Also what revmjm says below is very interesting. I don't think I ever got that point before.

By the was, is that Tagalog in the "comments" section in your post, astigpinoy16?

Thanks for the help guys. Now I understand the use of commas on either side. That you can omit the words or phrases yet the sentence still makes sense.

@Royo1234- yes, that's Tagalog or you can say Filipino because that is more formal as national language.

3. Shahid Bukhari profile image61
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Law, its Correct ... In English Literature, no ... its incorrect.

I, however, get around this, by using "..." !

2. astigpinoy16 profile image59
    astigpinoy16posted 13 years ago

I din't see a sample sentences of using a comma after conjunctions in that link. More help please.

3. revmjm profile image87
    revmjmposted 13 years ago

You use a comma BEFORE "and" only when there is a complete sentence on both sides of "and." "And" is the conjunction combining the two sentences.

Example: The man went to the store, and his wife went home. (If you take "and" out you will have to complete sentences.

The man went home and went to sleep. No comma before "and" because these are not two complete sentences. The one before the "and" is a complete sentence, but the one after the "and" is not.

By the way, the same rule applies for the word "but" as in the sentence above.

4. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

English is difficult, and proper punctuation is harder!
    A comma is used before "and" when listing 3 or more items:
    He went home to get his cellphone, book, and backpack for school.
    A comma is also used to separate parts of a sentence that contain both a noun and verb:
    He went home to get his cellphone, and he ate a snack.

A comma is used after "and" for a parenthetical expression- just as you would use a set of parentheses (by the way):
    Don't forget to go home and grab your backpack and, by the way, get a snack too.
    I hope this helps!

Thanks Cat on a soapbox, now it became clear to me that I can use a comma after the word "and" for parenthetical expression.

English is not my native language and it's hard to learn but I really wanted to learn all these stuff. Thanks for the help.

2. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Both are correct. It just depends on what style you're following. I think AP style is the only one that does not use the serial comma. There was a whole thread about this last week. Search the forums for a thread on the Oxford comma.

3. Cici2hip4u profile image61
      Cici2hip4uposted 13 years ago

Hm, are you talking compound sentences? If this is what you are referring to, you would need to include a comma before 'and'. But if not, I was more than happy to help you anyways!

Actually I am referring to parenthetical expression, and I didn't know that. Now I know the other use of comma aside from making a series and separating independent sentences.

English is not my native language and I am really having a hard time learning it. But I am eager to understand every single punctuation of it. Thanks for the good community here.

I will shout for a help here again if there were still confusions.

4. Cici2hip4u profile image61
      Cici2hip4uposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the link. I will bookmark this for future reference and thanks for the help.

1. Cici2hip4u profile image61
          Cici2hip4uposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No worry. I hope this helped with your situation, but if it didn't, I will post more of the parenthetical expression links. And you're welcome!

5. psychonaut profile image60
      psychonautposted 13 years ago

It's correct if it's used parenthetically.  The easiest test is to try replacing the comma and the next comma in the sentence with parentheses or brackets.  If the sentence makes sense that way then the commas are correct.  If it does not, or if there is not another comma later in the sentence at all, then the comma after the "and" is incorrect.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)