See winning eBay bid information by Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (53 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Moments ago, we rolled out a change to the "author center" section of your Hubs (the black box at the top of each of your Hubs that only you can see) where you can see your Hub's traffic graph, and traffic by Day, Week, Month, and Total.

The new tab, eBay, will share information about any winning bids from clicks on that Hub's eBay Capsule(s). You can use this data to help optimize those items you choose to list in your Hub's eBay Capsule.

We eventually plan on rolling up this data in the HubPages Earnings Program reporting, too.

Kudos to Fawntia for building this (along with pretty much all the HubPages Earnings Program reporting and functionality). smile

1. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cheers now! sounds like another great update!

2. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is handy - will there be a summary report? - with over 400 Hubs it's going to be a huge chore to go through each one to see where I'm getting clicks!!!

Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we will eventually work on that. smile

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's another vote for a summary report.  Hunting through hundreds of Hubs to find one or two that have that have made sales is really awkward.

3. MarleneB profile image90
      MarleneBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You all are working so hard at HubPages Headquarters. Thank you for all that you are doing on behalf of the authors.

4. kirsib profile image60
      kirsibposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds not only smart but great tool for everyone but now I gotta go see where my 3 clicks so far came lol

1. kirsib profile image60

Ok this info is more for popular hubbers with lots of hits I assume? Ebay pays some for every click (I got 3 last 2 days) but click does not mean winning bid if I understood this right?

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
          Fawntiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're right that a click is not the same as a winning bid. You are paid per click based on the quality of the traffic that you provide to eBay. You are right that if you do not get a lot of traffic to your Hubs, then winning bids on your Hubs could be relatively rare, because not all clicks lead to winning bids, but hopefully some will!

Yes all this hubbing just has been kind of fun way to share my writing, ideas etc or just write for fun. To get profited from it never hurts and I think I just keep writing little by little to hopefully increase traffic all around smile

5. the clean life profile image72
      the clean lifeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks once again Jason and all of the HubPages Team!! Great job !

6. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool

2. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

Thanks very much. Fawntia is amazing! smile

Thanks! You are too kind.

3. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

Too cool - thanks Fawntia and Jason for all your hard work!

4. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 12 years ago

Do we earn something if we get a 'winning bid'?

We display the eBay revenue from a click originating from your Hub, along with this explanation:

Please note that the eBay revenue is NOT your earnings for a transaction. Advertisers can post corrections to previously credited winning bids up to 8 days after the transaction. Examples of corrections include the buyer returning the item to a seller, unpaid items, and seller credits. Corrections to the eBay revenue numbers are shown in green or red, according to whether the correction is positive or negative, respectively.

EDIT: Note that this includes revenue details on all impressions on that Hub, including both your share (60%) and ours and anyone else sharing that remaining 40% (including referrers).

5. skear profile image93
    skearposted 12 years ago

This will be a very useful feature, thanks!  It's only been one day for me but so far eBay is looking very promising.

It would be even better if it showed all ebay clicks a hub generated and not just winning bids.

6. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

I noticed this feature on a hub just moments ago and thought it looked really helpful. Thanks again HubPages team for all of the hard work you do! Fawntia rocks!lol

Thanks. smile

7. poshcoffeeco profile image81
    poshcoffeecoposted 12 years ago

Thanks for that, I had no idea the information was there as I had never clicked on the stats....silly me.

8. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 12 years ago

Will go and take a look now.  I have only added Ebay to a few hubs so far but as I go in and do summaries, will think of adding Ebay if appropriate.  You guys are always busy improving things for us on this end.  Thanks!!!

9. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 12 years ago

This is awesome!!!  You all are working so hard to make things work, address issues, and make improvements!!  Now that I can't use amazon, I need to go back and edit some of my hubs.  Some of them don't even have ebay on them, because it wasn't really earning me much.  I hope all these changes bring about changes in that, as well!!

10. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 12 years ago

Awesome indeed!  big_smile Thanks Hubpages!

11. Wayne Tully profile image65
    Wayne Tullyposted 12 years ago

Yeah!!! I haven't applied through this acccount yet as traffic isn't fantastic yet, although I have a couple of popular hubs in this account....might apply for it now or maybe not at all! haven't decided yet??!

12. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

This is going to be a stupid question, but I have no idea how we are paid for eBay.  Per click or per winning click?  If someone clicks but doesn't bid, then goes back days later through a bookmark (that's what I always do) and snipes a winning bid do we earn?

I don't even know where to look - should I go through Amazon or is the program different now that HP is involved?  Do stats for all of HP combine somehow to raise the value of clicks or are we on our own in our subdomain?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was going to ask the exact same thing! Thanks for beating me to it. I don't feel so dumb now! lol

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Guess we both flunked the first grade together.  Now if we can only find someone that passed...

1. greatstuff profile image91
          greatstuffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have not signed up for ebay yet..i guess i will have to do this soon... was waiting for reponse to wilderness question..no reply yet. maybe everybody flunked?

Guess so.  I would be happy if someone could even tell us where to look - HP or eBay.  I hate designing hubs and capsules without knowing the rules of the game, and that's just what it would be.

2. kirsib profile image60

As Fawntia explained little higher you will be paid according "the quality of traffic you will provide to eBay" in my case this has meant 2 clicks the first day and about a dime and one click the second day with about a nickle. Next two days provided no clicks at all according to stats, i find this quite surprising considering my traffic was up and hubpages paid quite nicely, even google got hits. I'm actually thinking about totally removing eBay capsules if I get no hits again for yesterday.

and I guess I had nobody with a winner click, could not find any on my stats

3. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

Yes, as kirsib said, you are paid per click but different people make different amounts per click (and different amounts per click on different days). The acronym that we use is EPC or Earnings Per Click. Ultimately, eBay wants to sell stuff, so if your clicks lead to winning bids, that's a good thing.

OK, I get that clicks (bids?) earn us money, but how do we get that EPC changed?  Does a click that wins the auction earn more than one that loses?  Will a lot of winning bids raise the EPC for other clicks?  And most importantly, if a person clicks through to look and then bids (and maybe wins) days later does that effect earnings or EPC? 

If bids at a later date that win the auction do us no good then should we look for buy it now items where a single click and bid always wins?  Maybe a particular seller that has only buy it now auctions while selling the product we're pushing?

If we can't find a way to increase the value of clicks are we better off sticking to Amazon?  It just seems to me that most readers that click through and bid will not win the auction and we're stuck with pennies per click.  In that case I would rather have 1 $50 sale through Amazon than 50 $.04 clicks to eBay.

1. Camping with Kids profile image68
          Camping with Kidsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@wilderness - note: this info is from my account experience with ePn, I have no clue if it is different for the arrangement HP has made with them.

Your EPC, ( I call it a QCV - Quality Click Value - but EPC is the correct term), changes based on the value you have delivered to ebay, ie. sales and activity.

besides just value from sales, (because it makes them percentage money), ebay sees visitor activity, ie. bidding, as value also, as well as new account sign-ups.

*relative to a click winning an auction days later - once someone bids, with your link as the referral tracker, they stay yours until the auction ends. So you could send a click on Monday, and keep the referral until the auction ends as late as a 7 to 10 days later.

So your EPC will go up as you send traffic to ebay that:

best value traffic - most boost to EPC
          1. buys something right then ie. buy-it-now
          2. buys something via a winning auction bid (as mentioned - even days later)

good value that will/may increase your EPC
          3. signs-up for a new ebay account using your referral link (this used to be a "bounty" item - $25 per sign-up, but no longer, now it has it's own QCV attached)
          4.a click bids but doesn't win - this is still quality traffic in ebay's eyes, (it has potential for future money making activity), just not as valuable as someone that wins

Your EPC will go up - and down - through out the cycle, which for ePn, it is until the end of the month, (I don't know if HP's ebay cycle will be the same, but I don't see how it couldn't be unless their deal includes a completely different way of determining EPC)

So you could start the month, with say;.04 EPC
          you send 300 clicks through the 15th - with a lot of buy-it-now's and winning bids - so on the 15th your EPC could be up around .15 to .35 - looking good.

then from the 15th until the end of the month you send 400 lookie-lou clicks, your EPC will probably drop back down to the .04 - .10 level - not so good.

at the end of the cycle - ebay multiplys your total clicks by your FINAL EPC and that's your payday.

YOU DO NOT ACCUMULATE DAILY COMMISSIONS FOR YOUR CLICKS THAT ARE THEN TOTALED AT THE END OF THE CYCLE.

That's why it's so important to pre-sell your visitors so that they are ready to buy when they click.

Again - that's how ePn works for stand-alone accounts, HP's agreement could be completely different.

edit note: I just saw fawntia's (sp?) comment about "different amounts per click on different days" ... that's concurs with my understanding of the EPC fluctuating, as described, but it could also indicate daily sales totals, which as a reporting function also concurs with my description, or it could imply that HP has a different payment arrangement. Maybe they'll correct me if my explanation was wrong.

GA

Thanks - a good explanation of how it works.  I assume there are more minor effects to take into account (isn't there always fine print?), but this is a working model that I can deal with.

It kind of sounds like the HP version will be the same, with all subdomains on their own and not affected by other subdomains.  I know you didn't address this, but it is the impression I'm getting from other posts.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60

The EPC (or QPC, quality click pricing) is explained by eBay at this link:  http://www.ebaypartnernetworkblog.com/e … -answered/

Thanks, Jason - mostly I just didn't know if the HP program would work the same.  I'll check this out.

It is not exactly the same, but very similar.

Thanks, Fawntia - I'm in the process of digesting it now.

13. Camping with Kids profile image68
    Camping with Kidsposted 12 years ago

"...It kind of sounds like the HP version will be the same, with all subdomains on their own and not affected by other subdomains.  I know you didn't address this, but it is the impression I'm getting from other posts."

LOL, Not in this post, but I did address this issue very vocally in earlier posts. I was very concerned that the "pooling" effect of all the new HP ePn hubbers would dilute the value of my HP-originated ePn clicks.

I was not a happy camper. I do well with ePn, but it took a lot of work - trial/error - and learning from mistakes, to get there. I wasn't happy about having that devalued by a volume of inexperienced ePn clicks.

HP has assured us that by using the sub-domains we will all live-or-die by our own efforts. I can only hope that is the case.

ps. my "inexperienced" comment isn't intended to be derogatory - it's just a fact that new ebay affiliates need to learn the ropes first, like we all did. (I know I sent some pretty crummy lookie-lou traffic when I first started - almost lost my account)

GA

Yes, crummy traffic is a concern.  If we newbies can't lean on the experienced (and drive their earnings down by doing it) we could perhaps lose our account because we don't understand the system.  Just as you out point out.

As long as I'm a newbie, we need to make it site wide; only when I've learned the ropes should it become individual effort. big_smile 

Seriously, though, that's why I want to understand how it works; I know you can lose your account (and I assume we still can for non-performance even though we're with HP) and don't want that to happen simply because of my ignorance.  So I ask people like you.

14. MarloByDesign profile image77
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

I have been a HubPage author for over 3 years, but have never used the EBAY capsule. Does anyone make money on it and/or recommend it? Do I have to sell my own stuff? Do I just open an EBAY account and "sell" other people's "stuff"?

Any advice would be welcoming. Thank you fellow Hubbers!

1. Topnewhottoys profile image60
      Topnewhottoysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's similar to Amazon. You use ebay capsules to display products that are related to the hub content.

The ebay capsule uses keywords, which you pick, to display items currently available.

for instance: for a hub about blue widgets you would use the keywords "blue widgets" (there are other search choices too)in the ebay capsule, and it will then display a selection, (from 1 to 6 listings), of blue widgets currently for sale on ebay.

The capsules are dynamic, meaning that even if one ebay listing becomes unavailable, another will pop-up in its place.

You earn from this based on the number and quality of "clicks" your referral sends to ebay - you can see an ebay earnings explanation here.

or if the link is inappropriate - hub search for "How to Make Money Online with eBay Partner Network" and skip down to the ePN earnings section.

1. MarloByDesign profile image77
        MarloByDesignposted 12 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU! So I just need to setup an EBAY account? Do I need to give EBAY my credit card?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

U need to create your eBay account through HP itself no need of a credit card

15. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Yup I noticed the eBay thing, but like you said the HP ad program option - it would be really cool. Looking forward to that day

16. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 12 years ago

with ebay earnings in each hub why dont you add something on the hubstats page to show which hubs have earned then we can go to that hub and see the sale info an asterix or some sort of symbol just to point us to the hub that has earned money.....jimmy

1. prairieprincess profile image92
      prairieprincessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be really nice, otherwise we are just shooting in the dark. I have received a couple of clicks so far. Yay!

17. BethanRose profile image68
    BethanRoseposted 12 years ago

Interesting, I'll check this out! Thanks!

18. tillsontitan profile image83
    tillsontitanposted 12 years ago

It would be great to earn something from ebay but as earlier stated it will also be difficult to add ebay to all hubs already published.  Will look into setting up an account.

19. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Is SMS verification necessary ? I can't receive SMS from promotional sites due to "Do not disturb" registry from which i don't want to unregister my phone only for this sms. Any other way to verify ?

20. profile image0
    Matthew Kirkposted 11 years ago

I cannot find this black box? Can you describe exactly where it is?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)