The Xbox is a better buy and here's why.
1. Bigger selection of games.
2. Sure you have to pay for online, but the service is A. better and higher quality, B. You get exclusive content earlier than the PS3 C. The brand new Xbox system comes with everything you need in order to get started for online play.
3. PS3 is starting an optional pay service of their own.
4. Xbox is only 50 bucks a YEAR. People constantly complain about having to pay money for online play... if you can't pay fifty dollars a year you shouldn't be playing games anyway because 50 bucks is cheaper than a game itself.
5. Xbox has better features for Facebook and music and the like, no Blu-Ray unfortunately but if you're only getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray then you don't need to worry about games lol.
6. Xbox does not make you download your purchased game to the harddrive so that it can make load times "faster" unless you absolutely want to.