Vote on 'YUCK FACTOR"

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being OK and 10  being largest YUCK gut reaction - how do you feel about this story? (BTW, my vote = 10 - major yuck)

A pig embryo at four weeks, which had been injected with human stem cells. Credit Salk Institute

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13381999_f1024.jpg

The feasibility of trying to grow replacement human organs in animals, though such a goal is still far off.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/scie … rgans.html

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that the "yuck factor" is going to be of much concern to someone needing a liver, kidney or pancreas. 

We have a desperate need for organs, and if they can be grown in animals I'm all for it.

2. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Yuck factor is a 10 for me.  I believe its corruption of the human genetic codes. I don't agree with transhumanists creating animal human hybrids of any kind, organs or stem cells to be transplanted into humans that will change a person's genetics.

DARPA has even set aside funding to rewrite the DNA of our soldiers to create super-soldiers. They say it would otherwise cause us to fall way behind on the battle field. 

I do not approve of funding such government departments, like the largest one, Nation Institute of Health that doles out tax payer money for health related scientific research..for and in fact, they are funding universities to come up with language in legal terms to give constitutional rights to non-humans who's genetic martial has been altered enough to not even be considered human.

To me its an anti-human agenda.

Is having a biological machine with a different genetic blueprint than yours worse than having a metal and plastic one without ANY of your blueprint?  Why?

1. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

From my point of view it is to corrupt humanity. 

From what I have picked up on because some of the 'foremost' geneticists, molecular biologists, and misanthropic scientists (who hate mankind)...have all said that we are a fluke, meaning humanity, and that we need to be done away with genetically through genetic altering and mutation. 

I am firm that I won't prolong my life on Earth by accepting parts of a beast.

LOL I'd like to see the reasoning that we are a fluke, without having the faintest idea of whether life exists outside our solar system or not.  Yes, according to the vast majority of competent scientists, though.

*shrug* If you would prefer a plastic and metal organ that does half the job and needs replaced every few years over a biological one that will last a lifetime, it is your choice.  That "yuck" factor gets a lot of people, from the little girl looking at a raw tenderloin steak on up.

Stephen Hawking said that,  "AI could spell the end of the human race'".   

Pretty soon they will be able to download your brain?  lol

I like tenderloins medium rare.

It could, too (destroy the race).  Though I expect genetic manipulation of our children to do a much quicker, more thorough job - we're too ignorant of genetics to do that yet.  Maybe in 1,000 (or a million) years we'll be smart enough.

Me, too, on the tenderloins.  But I still drool at the sight of that bloody, jiggly piece of meat waiting for the pan!  Maybe Pavlov has visited while I slept. smile

ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Oh, that's another point: Lab grown meat to be sold to human - IDK - sound gruesome  - as tasteless as farm  grown salmon: Cultured meat, also called synthetic meat, cell-cultured meat, clean meat, and in vitro meat, ... engineered meat for human consumption,

Maybe, one day, "soylet green' will really do come true?

http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13384548.jpg

I don't know about gruesome - until you've stood in the kill room of a slaughterhouse you don't have much to compare it with.

But I have yet to put a vegetable product in my mouth that is anything like meat.  It says it is, but the statement is intended to sell, not to provide accurate information.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

2.  It requires ethical oversight, and it has that.

ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure it has today ... thinking in  the future  sci-fi stuff like growing spare humans without brains to be used medically for only the rich of course.

Like the ending of "The Fly" monster. - sorry seen a lot of movies so I'm thinking worst case.

http://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13383105.jpg

For some reason - I have no problem of the human ear grown on a lab rat
      http://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13383108.jpg

4. PhoenixV profile image62
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

What if it creates some mutation and some genes get passed on from generation to generation until

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/331baf2dae … 3adb_1.jpg

Have you been taking pics through my bay window?!?! big_smile

1. PhoenixV profile image62
        PhoenixVposted 7 years agoin reply to this

https://www.gianteagle.com/ProductImages/PRODUCT_NODE_547/37600069519.jpg

My family photo album?

lol

2. PhoenixV profile image62

Seriously though havent they been using parts of the heart or maybe whole hearts for decades I thought. And they have worked really good?

1. PhoenixV profile image62

Or maybe not. I was just searching. I couldve swore they heen at least using pieces for valves or something.

I just remembered this MIT Technology article I read some time ago, its titled "Human-Animal Chimeras Are Gestating on U.S. Research Farms"
            https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5451 … rch-farms/

With no regard to ethics.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
              Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing Atlantis and the Flood involved genetic manipulation, cloning and human DNA mixing with animal DNA. Is it fair to the rat (or the pig) who is killed for the human-looking Ear growing on his back? Well, IS IT? God had to destroy the world when mankind started messing with His Divine Image / Plan. 
              Oops. I mentioned God.

My vote is: YUCK

PS Christians or religious people in general, (anyone who believes in God,) probably say genetic engineering should not be done.

1. profile image0
                calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are more ethical concerns in harvesting organs from recently "deceased" people who sometimes aren't really dead.  I'd rather get an organ from an animal injected with human cells than from a person who was perhaps too hastily declared brain dead.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
                  Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Good Heavens.

When history has been rewritten and purposely misinterpreted, and ancient truths have been hidden or called myths in order to conceal, mankind is easily deceived.  History repeats itself.

2. wilderness profile image96

Like you, I'm almost certain that is correct.  Pig parts come to mind, and heart valves are on the memory list.

There are successful cases of transplants from one species to another, its called xenotransplantation.  It changes the genetic codes in animals.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

"The worry is that the animals might turn out to be a little too human for comfort, say ending up with human reproductive cells, patches of people hair, or just higher intelligence. “We are not near the island of Dr. Moreau, but science moves fast,” NIH ethicist David Resnik said during the agency’s November meeting. “The specter of an intelligent mouse stuck in a laboratory somewhere screaming ‘I want to get out’ would be very troubling to people.”

The chance of an animal gaining human consciousness is probably slim; their brains are just too different, and much smaller. Even so, as a precaution, researchers working with farm-animal chimeras haven’t yet permitted any to be born, but instead are collecting fetuses in order to gather preliminary information about how great the contribution of human cells is to the animals’ bodies." yikes!
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5451 … rch-farms/
    <<Thanks for the link colorfulone.>>

Is it really ALL ABOUT ….

U S  ? ? ? ? ? ?

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 7 years ago

We should just accept our limitations regarding this matter. We should not harvest OUR body parts from animals. End of story.

7. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Straight out of Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.  They're called pigoons in the book.  She sure does have a knack for eerily prophetic tales. 

The pigoons ended up being pretty badass in the end though, maybe they'll be our future allies.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)