jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

How many men realise they're suffering from depression and stress?

1. vonski profile image62
    vonskiposted 6 years ago

It's being recognised more and more everyday that men suffer long-term stress and depression, but the hardest part of recognising this is actually realising it for yourself.

Most people know the first step in fighting an addiction is admitting you have a problem. Usually it's a noticable addiction such as alcohole or substance abuse, and is either known about by others or has detectable side-affects such as being drunk etc.  We know this from social/cultural education through movies, stories, life-experiences etc.

However how many people realise that someone is suffering depression BEFORE something drastic happens to highlight there is a real problem? It's always easier to see someone else is suffering before we realise it ourselves.

As for men, socially and culturally alot of us are brought up to "toughen up", "get over it and be a man" or "suck it up and soldier on" when it comes to work-related stress and family worries.  Quite often there is numerable un-related and un-resolved problems all going on at the same time that accumulate and end up having an affect our personal-lives, family, relationships and work/career-life.

Unfortunately it tends to explode in a catalytic catastrophe BEFORE being diagnosed either by an the individual or a proffessional.

So, what did it really take for you to realise as an individual that you're suffering or suffered from depression?  I'm not asking for specifics, but why don't we share our general experiences?

I know what did it for me... and god I'm lucky I had great support to make a come-back!

1. lorlie6 profile image84
      lorlie6posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know so many men that suffer from both, but as you mentioned, they "rub some dirt on it," and ignore their actual emotions.  The ones I know thus suffer from high blood pressure, etc.  Thanks, vonski, for bringing this up.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
        schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

True. I think my boyfriend has something like depression but he doesn't get help. He has high blood pressure

2. Richard Craig profile image75
    Richard Craigposted 6 years ago

I've been seriously depressed.  I went weeks without talking to anybody but my mate Rob.  I don't know why, but I could just talk to him about anything.  I soon saw I had to snap out of the trance.  Motivation and willpower helped.  I hated being depressed, and I will never go there again.