Is talking incessantly, good for a person?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    CollBposted 12 years ago

Some, even strangers, can't stop to fail to mention how the bus driver is driving or how the weather's like (or how good at starting a conversation they are), whether you want to hear what they have to say or not.

Do we develop as personable human beings, if we exercise our communicative skills to such an extent that lead me to conclude, 'Do these people speak as much in their own languages'?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Each individual is different and most haven't a clue. Plenty of people talk to talk, and some talk to hear themselves talk. It's never a bad thing to just listen, when other people talk. If you are able to discern truth, then you will be able to determine what reasons they are talking.
      What languages they speak is irrelevant to how much they feel like talking.

1. profile image0
        CollBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cagsil, thank you for your insightful comment, yes I see your point about the different levels of other people's discussions.

The point about the languages they speak in is equally a valid point although at times I wonder if these people should conduct their 'much too revealing' conversation in a language only those 2 people can understand.  For at times, I'd think, 'this isn't for public ears! smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Less is always better.

3. Borsia profile image40
      Borsiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is something that drives me crazy. Once in a while it is fine to talk to people if there is an interesting subject but I am not a talkaholic.
      Often if I am on a plane, train or some other situation where escape isn't possible and I sense that the person next to me wants to babble I just tell them, in a different language, that I don't understand them. Yeah I get busted now and then. IE; I tell them in Chinese that I don't speak English and they later see I am reading a book in English.
      Other times I will say "Sorry but I have a headache" without telling them that they are the headache. Usually as soon as I sit down I put on my headphones and plug them into my MP3 player, which may or may not be turned on.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

people who speak incessantly are usually suffering from anxiety and need to speak in order to calm down..
    and some are ill and talk out loud to imaginary people...wink

1. profile image0

You know, Stacie, that is so true!  I've met a few too many of the latter type on the public transport and I wonder how they got to that stage!  It's incredible to think there's so many who can't stop the chitter chatter!

2. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I talk to imaginary people all the time. Still, I don't talk much and I dislike people that talk a lot. I like my invisible friends. They're nice.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"'Do these people speak as much in their own languages'?" What does that mean in the context that went before?" I will talk to anybody. More fun. Why be mum. Can tell in an instant whether it is acceptable or not.
    I don't talk to people who are not interested. Besides it is not good manners.

1. profile image0

Hi knolyourself, yes, you're right about not speaking to people who aren't interested but I wonder if mastering a 'second' language makes others more talkative than they would otherwise be.

1. kallini2010 profile image79
        kallini2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not.  The number of languages is quite irrelevant. Being talkative is a personality trait or in some cases when people just cannot "shut up" - it might be a sign of a disorder.  It might be annoying, it is, but the best thing is to relocate and NOT respond as the responding "winds them up."  On the other hand, most people who cannot "shut up" because they manic and would appreciate calm and understanding manner.  You don't have to tell them they are crazy - it won't help.  Pretend that you don't see that they are not quite OK. But I know that most people are either too irritated or too afraid to understand.  A slight sign of a mental illness - and "normal", I stress it "normal" people "pee their pants" and behave like abnormal people.  We mirror each other behaviour, that is why.

And even if you don't understand the conversation - in my case in most cases I don't - because everybody is from somewhere else, but not from my country - and depending on language - it can be TORTURE.  Shouting in unpleasant sound combinations!!! 

In short, you are in control only of your own actions.  As they LOVE to say "it's not a problem, it is an opportunity!"  So, shine with your problem-solving.

I know, I feel your pain...

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Well if one goes to say Europe as an English speaker, usually always find native peoples who want to practice their English on one. So could say then it makes them more talkative.

1. profile image0

LOL, you're so right.  Haha.  You can say, the British have it tough on themselves for they are probably much sought after for speaking the language that has become universal.  smile  Probably puts a strain on their vocal cords big_smile

5. Evil Stepmother profile image60
    Evil Stepmotherposted 12 years ago

I talk a lot, and I do not think there is anything wrong with me.  I just like to talk, and I have a lot to say.  The important thing is, however, I also listen.  And there are other people who talk more than I do lol.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Definitely agree with that. Talking alot is not necessarily a bad thing but it is always good to listen. I know some people who literally never stop talking, except to catch their breath. When they do I feel the need to respond to something they said and they talk right over me as if they cant bear giving their attention to anyone else. Either that or they have a serious cocain or amphetamine problem.

6. sexpressions profile image60
    sexpressionsposted 12 years ago

I believe it is probably good for someone TO talk too much. Maybe people don't want to hear it all the time, but if someone's talking it IS usually because they need it. Whether they are lonely, anxious, stressed, tired or just simply crazy - it is helping them to express whatever it is that is floating around in their mind.

It never hurts to listen, either. I've learned a lot about psychology and people's reactions from listening. (Even when I shouldn't have been wink). In fact, I used to be an introvert myself with not a word to say to anyone; I would tell you how much better I feel now that I express myself through writing; but I think, you can see from this post itself that I am able to ramble more than always necessary wink.

Thing about people these days, is most of us are very self involved. We ask 'How are you' out of courtesy, and when someone actually starts talking about how they Really are - we feel bombarded with conversation.

Don't worry guys, there's worse things than a crazy person telling you about their adventures with the unicorns. wink

1. sexpressions profile image60
      sexpressionsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh Wow. I feel as if I was hitting on all of you with all of those winks. My apologies - I'm a people person... wink

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 12 years ago

It's funny you mention this subject now because there is someone I know who right now who talks from the instant she gets up in the morning until night, when she snores in her sleep- (which sometimes sounds like talking big_smile)  and no, it's not me!  But she seldom really listens to others and so asks the same questions over and over, never listens to the answers.  It is very irritating to be around her. I think she is suffering from anxiety, but it is contagious and so everybody around her feels anxious, too, after a little while.  I am constantly exhausted from her non-stop chatter, and always happy to see her go back home.  She can't stand to be alone and can't sit still for more than 10 minutes.  Always has to be busy, busy, busy and repeats herself all the time.  It is an illness I'm quite sure, like
    A D D.  I talk a lot, but not THAT much, and I think I listen and remember things people tell me.  She is aware that she talks too much, but doesn't seem to feel any need to try to stifle it a bit!  lol  kind of funny if it weren't so tiring to hear her. Maybe she is too sensitive and the talking is a buffer of protection around her.

8. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I have a sister, and a sister-in-law, who talk to hear themselves talk. They'll strike up a conversation with total strangers and share their whole lives.  I've lost their calls and it will take them 15 to 20 minutes to realize they are talking to dead air.  They don't come up for breath, or wait for input on the other end of the conversation. It's just who they are.  It's a personality trait.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Personally, I don't like being around people who always talk. It's annoying. I have noticed that smokers are often incessant talkers and like to talk on telephones. I wonder if it's an oral thing.

I think people who talk all the time miss a lot. There is a lot to be said for silence and listening to the world around us whether it's a quiet day at home or a noisy city street.  It makes us more aware.

And I agree with Emile, some people simply love to hear themselves talk!

10. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

It is better to be quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I guess some people don't follow this philosophy. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)