I am a seething ball of stress right now.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I need some tips to cope with stress right now. I have a ton of obligations on my plate right now, and it's going to be that way for the next year straight.  I don't deal well with stress when I'm awake, instead I sleepwalk. Sleepwalking when stressed is a weird thing my dad did, and I inherited it as well. Most of the time it just involves me sitting straight up in bed for hours each night, staring at the wall, eyes wide open, but still half asleep, trying to convince myself that I'm not late for something, or that I didn't forget something...

Needless to say, this way of dealing with stress is only magnifying my anxiety ten fold and I'm exhausted and run-down. I don't have time for meditation or my usual run each night.... what do I do so I don't explode in these next few months or become addicted to five hour energy or something?

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Hey Shanna,

Stress is relative to each person. We(all) handle stress differently. There are times when I get stressed, but most of the time it's because I spend a lot of time thinking. Some things I over-think on purpose. The object is to know when you're not over thinking something and when you are.

I know when it causes me stress is my point of telling I am over thinking what I am thinking about.

I don't feel stress and haven't in any work environment. I've always adapted pretty well to whatever changes occurred during working time.

If you truly feel you have too much on your plate, then I have only two suggestions- (a) better organize your time or (b) drop some of those things.

If you're having trouble sleeping, which sounds like you might, considering you're sleep walking, then maybe you can try something which I found to be relaxing at bed time.

I found that by re-living my entire day in slow motion through my mind, when my head hits the pillow, allows me to review my day and see what I saw, and possibly pick up on other things I saw, but didn't focus on at the time. I don't usually make it through because I go to sleep.

It is just a suggestion. smile big_smile

Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most of my stress is a result of the fact that I just have too much going on, but I legitimately cannot drop any of it. I've sat down and planned things in dozens of different ways as carefully as possible, and it all fits together.... the only problem is, it's so packed together that I won't ever even have time to sit down and eat. I'll have to eat on the go, limit my sleep to exactly five hours a night....

Part of what is causing me stress, I think, is knowing I can't drop any of what I have to do in the next year. It's just not possible. Even when it's all perfectly organized together and every second of day is planned out, it's going to be ridiculously packed. I just feel really overwhelmed (and kind of whiny....)

Thanks for the sleep suggestion. I just need to find a way to stay asleep.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.

If you have barely any time to yourself, I certainly hope you don't collapse from mental exhaustion. hmm Sending positive thoughts that it doesn't happen.

3. claudi1176 profile image65
    claudi1176posted 11 years ago

Usually a glass of red wine (or two) makes me really tired. Also, reading and not watching TV before going to bed usually helps me!! GOOD LUCK!!

Hahah, I don't think I'm quite old enough to drink wine yet....Thank you for the suggestions!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This sounds like it might be worth a doctor's visit. Who knows? Maybe there is a non-addictive pill now that might actually work. smile

5. Dianlynn profile image53
    Dianlynnposted 11 years ago

Stress is no way to live ones life.  Hopefully my suggestion can be of some help to you.  First, take a look at what is on your plate and then decide what you are capable of taking care of.  2.  Whatever you cannot take care of:  do whatever it takes to rid yourself of the obligation.  For instance you've decided you cannot walk you neighbors dog while they are away. Call your neighbor and tell them you will not be able to walk their dog and apologize for any inconvenience.  You do not owe them an explanation.  3.  Prioritize your list of things to do.  4.  Make a plan  5. Carry out your plan.  To manage your stress while completing your obligations,  do not overload your body with caffeine or sugar.  Stick to a healthy diet. Stay away from the 5 hour energy. Make time for yourself & that run and meditation.  I don't mean to jinx you but if you don't take the time for yourself to rest properly, excercise and to eat right, I really don't see a good outcome.  If you find that you don't have time for yourself then you need to alleviate a commitment or two or get someone else to help you.  I wish you the best in your endeavors.  Be well, Dianlynn

1. Ask Ashley profile image67
      Ask Ashleyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I read your post, it made me think back to when I was in school full time and had a full time job...the pressures of maintaining both simultaneously was challenging. I think the biggest thing you need to keep in mind is if you drop the ball on something, life won't come to an end...right now, I imagine it feels that way, but you need to remember, life keeps moving forward even if you don't. As others have suggested, figure out what is really important and drop priorities where you can. If you don't have to work as many hours, cut back, if you can drop a class, do it and take it again in the fall or spring. If none of this is an option (or an option you want to pursue) you have to set time for yourself either way, like your runs. If you don't set personal time for yourself, you'll lose it. I always tried to give myself at least an hour a day to do what ever I wanted to, to help de-stress. Reading before bed instead of watching tv should also help with your sleep (unless you're already doing that). Good luck.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I'm certain something could be dropped or held back for a time period. If you have to break a commitment for health reasons, I think that's justified. Have you made a list and asked yourself honestly, Do I need to do this right now in my life? Why or why not? Will the world end if I don't do it?

If you don't have even a minute to sit and read, and have to eat on the go and only sleep 5 hours a night, is it all worth your health and well-being?

I hope you can figure something out. Your body and mind can only handle so much stress.

7. Lauryallan profile image70
    Lauryallanposted 11 years ago

I remember back to some of my most stressful times in my life and start to remember some of the things I did to get through them or over them. I am similar to you in that my stress appears most in my sleep patterns. People in my life wouldn't have a clue that I was having stress related issues, but I would wake up in the wee hours of the morning mid scream or shout and know that I had "issues".
    Basically, when I am stressed I talk out loud (think shout, scream) in my sleep. I believe it's my bodies way of getting me to deal with all the things I was juggling in my life.
    I find that sometimes I would wake screaming something because I didn't want to forget it or I had just worked something out in my sleep. My mind works at a million miles an hour and likes to keep everything organised in there.
    I found the best way for me to have a full nights sleep was to write a list of everything I had to do the next day before I fell asleep. This way my body knew that I knew what had to be done and knew I wouldn't forget, since I'd written it down. I would then have a relaxing sleep and wake refreshed and ready to tackle the issues of the day. My mind began to relax during the day too and stop that constant thinking that sometimes happens when you're just too busy to really have some down time.
    It sounds like such a simple concept, but it was a life saver for me. Without that little piece of paper on my night stand I think I would have gone crazy and never completed my degree while financing it myself with various jobs.

8. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 11 years ago

OK, I'm listening and hearing and seeing too. Allow me to share I do not have the answer. Plain & simple. Yet, if I may share I know someone you may make a connection with who is also into tortoises. She is Dr. Janet Starr Hull who co-founded and operates GREEN, a Federal 501C3 Wildlife Preservation for endangered animals on her ranch in Northeast Texas. She has one of the largest collections of endangered tortoises from around the world. You are more than welcome to mention my name, either tsmog or Tim Mitchell. She is pretty sharp. You two may speak a similar language, if you know what I mean, turtles and that kinda' stuff. She definitely has an alternative to 5hr drinks.

Also, Realhousewife, here at hubpages, may offer some insight with sleep disorders or help to point you in a direction with one of her hubs. A little hint is your thoughts move as fast as you walk and no faster. Scientifically proven. I wrote a hub explaining it. A little riddle is if you jog you can outrun them.

This next part is a tough one, I am in the process myself doing it. I sat down and asked this question "What am I willing to fail at to be successful?" Remember I did not say not do, I said what am I willing to accept. Like in school I was good at math and terrible with English. So, I was willing to get a B in Math, so I could get a C in English. In other words, I really didn't have to study for Math, since I learned it in the classroom environment. So, I didn't do the homework and aced the tests. Result a B. That gave me more time to study English and not get a D, and get a C you see - smile.

Watch the movie 'Moneyball' I know it is about baseball, but it has a lesson about trends and averages. Success comes from staying ahead of average and discovering a niche, which really may be glitch. Set a trend rather than follow one. Think of a garden, preparing the soil, planting a seed, nurturing slowly with care, talk to it now and then, say good morning and listen when it says good morning to you, soon it will grow big and strong, it will probably take a year to grow. (Whew, a long sentence. Now you know why I got a C - LOL)No one says you have to have more than one plant in a garden. 

A very magical & mystical number is three or 3 three deep breaths, trinity, 3 branches to our goverment, if into Freud 3 parts of the Ego, we really have 3 brains but they are called systems or complexes, 3 major parts to a plant, unless it flowers or blooms, or in other words it is easiest or most natural to think in 3's. Being a Brigham Young student you know how to write a paper, your hubs give testament to that, with the thesis, support or body, and then conclusion. Oh yeah, my niece all of just passed three being 4 now, told me a secret once. She said a 3 really is butterfly wings, now just imagine that and I end with this, taught to me by a good friend, Simone . . .

AFC
    tim

9. ALUR profile image60
    ALURposted 11 years ago

It sounds inane but a breath(remember it's the key note to life) is a way to begin. I find stress/anxiety creeps in esp to those extremely empahthic. Protect yourself and for crying out loud change the questions in your head(we all have a monkey mind) to "How Can I enjoy this day?" "What am  grateful for, or what should I be grateful for?

And I use my writing as therapy...

You're welcome to read my hubs and I know you will be rewarded if you stop time to observe nature and even-really-hug a tree!

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

You already answered your question.  Make time for meditation and the run.  I don't understand what's so important that you say that you don't have the time.  It is my understanding that when done on a daily basis, meditation can take as little as 10 minutes, and running will only take about 20-30 minutes to clear your head.  By dropping these two activities, no wonder you are drowning in your own stress.  You have allowed life to become one, big distraction for you.  If you continue, you can expect problems with your health.

School is mostly taking up my time, as well as my job. I have a scholarship, so I can't just not take classes-- that would be a huge waste of money. But at the same time, I need money to pay for housing, gas, books and food (tuition is all the scholarship covers) so I can't quit my job.... but I need to get a second job because my first is not covering my costs, despite the fact that I've got a very careful budget.

I'm also doing the Apprenticeship program right now on Hubpages, so that's time consuming...I mentor two girls from an extremely high risk family and I really don't want to stop mentoring them.

You're right about the run or meditation. I can get up ten minutes early and meditate or go for a quick jog. I was just feeling extremely overwhelmed when I posted this. I'm just going to have to put off a second job until I run out of money.

I took a long nap today and that helped calm me down and clear my head a bit.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

(Yawn) That was a good nap. I fell asleep watching the tetras in the fish  bowl. You took one too! Cool . . .Now, I feel better. There are a whole bunch of recipe writers here at hubpages. They taught me that the back burner is a place to let something simmer for a bit, but not quite get cold. Well, I'm off to burn a pizza as I seem to always do. I'm hungry, you? Oh yeah, do they have a reading lab at BYU? I know you read well from your hubs, but maybe there is a different bag of tricks there. Remember to smile and have fun, fun, fun . . .

tim

2. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Prioritize what will be best for you in the long run.  Then stick to it.  The stress will ebb away.
        Sacrifices always have to be made to achieve success.  If you are trying to rescue a drownding person and the battle with them may end up costing you your life, you have no choice but to let them go, or you'll both be gone and nothing will be gained.

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 11 years ago

when I think I don't have time for anything = after re-examining what I'm actually doing I usually find some time I can pare away - for example - less time at the computer - sounds like you don't even have time, really, to come to the HP forums, right?  So just use the computer for work and check your emails and forgo all the other stuff.  But do take some time to relax right before you go to sleep doing something un-stimulating, like reading, or just listening to soft music.  I know you will get through this.  If you are young I know you just haven't had time to learn to balance what is really necessary with the stuff you can really live without.  You will learn.  It's good to start examining your life and getting to know yourself and your capacities now, while you are still young - while you can more easily adapt and develop the kinds of life habits that will keep you strong and healthy and unstressed. 

there are also herbal remedies that really work to help you have undisturbed sleep - and they are healthful - valerian, licorice root, and others made into a tea.

good luck to you - hope you will find the peace you need.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Shanna,
    Sometimes the fear of stress is worse than the stress itself, isn't it?

How did John Lennon put it? "Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans." There's another saying I like, "When we plan God laughs."

All we really have to get through is today.
    And you already have.
    Repeat again tomorrow.
    It will all be ok.
    MM

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

.....which is why I've sat here and wasted tons of time over the last day or so, goofing off on the forums and Answers section on this site.   roll   Sometimes you just have to shut off your brain, let it rest for a day or so, and start new after a 30-hour "vacation".   smile   The long-term crap and worries are always still there waiting for you, but a mental rest can make a big difference in breaking the wheel-spinning cycle.

13. jacope profile image84
    jacopeposted 11 years ago

I know exactly how you feel. I've been there too. Here are two things that helped me.

1. Take at least 10 deep belly breaths every day, imagining all your stress flowing out of your body as you exhale. This can be done anywhere and anytime. While you are at a stop light is a great time or while doing dishes or cooking.

2. Drink a tea of catnip(Nepeta cataria), Chamomile(Anthemis nobilis or Matricaria recutita)(Roman and German respectively), Peppermint(Mentha piperita), and Rosemary(Rosamarinus officinalis). Steep 1 tsp of herb mixture in 1 cup hot water for 10 minutes, strain, & drink while inhaling the steam. Drink 3 times per day if you can, but at least once before you go to bed. It is not recommended during pregnancy though as some of the herbs are emmenagogues and affect the female reproductive system. It is great to drink if you have problems with your periods though.

A note on chamomile: If it doesn't smell like apples, don't use it as it has lost most if not all of it's beneficial properties.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great advice, saying with a tad of trust tossed in, and thanks too. I will throw out that box of tea or spread it in the garden, maybe. Sound advice I hear . . .remember to smile and have fun, fun, fun . . .

tim

1. jacope profile image84
        jacopeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome Tim. I've been studying herbs and herbal remedies since I was about 12 years old (currently 28). I've recently decided that it's time I got my certification as a master herbalist so I am currently working on that. Teas are my favorite.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)