jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Do you laugh even if you do not understand the joke?

1. jainismus profile image78
    jainismusposted 4 years ago

Some times, we do not understand a joke. What do you do in such situation? Do you laugh just because others are laughing?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I still laugh because I didn't understand it and that makes me laugh. Usually my vocabulary is too structured, I can't get the local lingo specially when they deliver the joke in a fast manner. When I was in Tx, I giggle or smile at the way the local talk, cute and nice accent. And now I am at the east coast, still I usually say, please repeat and explain it. I still don't get a lot of humor specially from different culture. I usually laugh at the slightest jokes though.

2. plaid pages profile image61
      plaid pagesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Every time!  Who wants to be the moron who doesn't get it?  Not me.  I'm much too sophisticated to let anyone see my dumb side.  I can pull it off too! 

I can keep the poker face until I get home and have to admit to the mirror:  I didn't get it.

3. Shinkicker profile image91
      Shinkickerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah! I laugh and then at the same time frantically rack my brain to work it out in case they ask "Do you get it?" LOL

2. Lady_E profile image81
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

I do out of politeness..... especially if the person keeps quiet after telling the joke and waits for my response. My brain says: "it's time to laugh." lol.

Sometimes it happens if the person telling the joke is not a fluent english speaker and sometimes when I am in "la la" land. (a world of my own)

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

he he ~~  sometimes ~~ usually people can tell if I didn't get it, but it's never the same 'funny' if someone has to explain it. big_smile

4. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'm incapable of fake-laughing.  If I could fake-laugh I suppose I would, but I can't. Because I can't fake-laugh, I usually try to think up some gracious way of trying to convince the person that I'm the one with the problem - not his joke.  I say stuff like, "Don't mind me.  My head was off in another direction when you mentioned ______________," or "Don't mind me.  I'm clueless when it comes to __________."  They may or may not believe that it "was me, and not the joke", but it's the best I can think up to do.

5. vmartinezwilson profile image84
    vmartinezwilsonposted 4 years ago

I'm right there with you Lisa, I can't laugh at a fake joke if I wanted to.  I do this stare as my brain works overtime in an attempt to get it.  I just say, "Don't get it." or "I get it, but yeah...good try."  That's usually to my husband whose jokes are infamously bad or based on novels I haven't read.

6. Journey * profile image89
    Journey *posted 4 years ago

Yeah, I feel foolish for doing so but I do sometimes. The worst thing though is when I have been in a group of non english speakers. They are laughing and I am laughing too and I don't even understand their language! Pitiful I know.