Do you laugh when someone falls down?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 55 discussions (79 posts)
  1. webismine profile image57
    webismineposted 14 years ago

We shouldn't, but we do... what do you say?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do.  I know it aint right but it is funny.

2. NunezWillLearn profile image61
      NunezWillLearnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I too do it but then I compensate it by laughing at myself when it's my turn.

May God forgive my sins

3. caranoelle profile image78
      caranoelleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't...  Unless they deserve it.  I was watching this jerk riding his bike in and out of traffic on a very busy 6 lane road, causing issues for the cars.  He then hit the sidewalk and down he went.  I laughed, but he totally deserved it.  On the other hand, there was a little girl walking along in the mall with her mom, she was totally behaving, and she slipped and fell when her shoe hit the slippery floor, and I didn't laugh.

4. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I help them up. Find out if they got hurt.

5. Bredavies profile image61
      Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on if they get hurt or not

6. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, webismine.

7. Google Gal profile image59
      Google Galposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't , thats mean , I would try to help them up and hope they were not hurt

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

no, I don't. unless it's funny and the person is laughing, but not if someone is hurt.

3. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

Depends how far

4. runner2975 profile image61
    runner2975posted 14 years ago

No...

i mean yes.

5. profile image56
    fun2hubposted 14 years ago

hard to say

6. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Point and Laugh...That's what I say...  Then make sure they're all right

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. profile image0
      baconmidgetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

words to live by

1. profile image56
        fun2hubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does it mean?

7. profile image0
    jennafawposted 14 years ago

I hold it in and offer help. If it was myself, I would laugh it off..

8. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 14 years ago

sad to say its almost like a natural reaction, especially if you witness it and it was in slow motion ,allowing you to see every facial expression they had until they hit the ground.  I have actually laughed and helped someone at the same time.  Couldn't help it, it was just one of those scenes that tickle you

9. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

OK I shouldn't but I do and when I fall down I can't stop laughing and make myself out to be twice the fool lol  swear

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Same here! lol

2. Katelyn Weel profile image91
      Katelyn Weelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I'm the same way... It's embarrassing actually tongue

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Only when I see it on America's Funniest Home Videos, and not always then.

11. pddm67 profile image60
    pddm67posted 14 years ago

I have to admit that I have (and sometimes still do) laughed when someone has fallen. I know - it's not nice. Sorry smile

12. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

No, I suppressed it and laugh inside, but if the fall is bad, I dont laugh at all

13. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

It ALWAYS depends on the situation!

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lair you always laugh lol  j/k

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You promised not to tell, lyrics...

14. BEAUTYBABE profile image69
    BEAUTYBABEposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't laugh if someone fell, because I wouldn't want to think that someone would laugh at me if I had a fall. Even when people fall, you don't really know how bad they are hurt sometimes, because they do a good job at hiding it, so play it safe and don't laugh at any time is my motto.

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

My first reaction when someone falls, ALWAYS, is shock...I am worried that they have hurt themselves.
    Depends entirely on the circumstances whether I find it find it funny after that..

16. Megavitamin profile image68
    Megavitaminposted 14 years ago

There's always that awkward pause where you have to wait to see if they laugh or cry, then act accordingly!  I hate when I fall and no one is around to laugh with me--it feels sadder than it is.

17. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

I agree ,shock is the first reaction and then laughter comes second, only if the person is not injured

18. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't laugh.  I feel bad for them because, based on taking a few too many "headers" myself, I know exactly how they feel.   hmm

19. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Only if their name is Boris Yeltsin and they completely drunk smile

20. Stan Fletcher profile image62
    Stan Fletcherposted 14 years ago

Yes.  Laughing comes first, then first aid second, if necessary.  I launched myself off a treadmill one day in the gym and had everyone laughing when I said, "Shows over.  Resume your workout."

21. sunflowerbucky profile image61
    sunflowerbuckyposted 14 years ago

I'm typically the one doing the falling, so yep laugh it up!

22. mrpooper profile image37
    mrpooperposted 14 years ago

I laugh when I fall down. Why wouldn't I laugh when someone else does? I usually try to contain my laughter until I'm sure they are alright. If they are fine I let loose!

23. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

"Are you all right?" is always the first thing out of my mouth if I see someone fall. Then, once injury is ruled out, if the person feels comfortable having a laugh about the situation, I'll laugh too.

24. Cleanclover profile image41
    Cleancloverposted 14 years ago

If i feel funny i laugh. not big deal

25. GL Bell profile image60
    GL Bellposted 14 years ago

Well if it was one of our politicians I would LOL!!!

26. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I don't, I go to help them up and ask if they are okay..if it's me falling then h#ll yea i laugh at myself and expect ppl to laugh with me big_smile

27. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Usually only after getting over shock of possible injury and helping them. I get wimpy, hmm

28. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Well, my kid fell down today on our morning walk.  She got a nice purple bruise that matches her bright purple t-shirt. 

I laughed... then I realized she was hurt, then I did not laugh.  When I figured she was okay, I laughed again.

1. stormie92 profile image58
      stormie92posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Depends on the situation... If I dislike the person, yes. If they are my friend I help... then laugh.

But sometimes I get this horrible urge to just shove a little kid in the snow... But I  never do that!

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure, you don't... lol

Ha, I don't. Just snow balls....

1. profile image0

Somehow, that sounds more compassionate. lol

They were throwing ice at my friend and I!

1. profile image0

Then: Game on! big_smile

Indeed!!!!

29. Sara Tonyn profile image61
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

I admit it, I laugh -- unless it's an obviously tragic fall. Of course I feel terrible if the person is hurt. But if they're laughing, I'll lose it!

And if it's someone who's unbearably haughty or snobbish or smug, I'll really laugh! (Again, assuming there's nothing indicating they're hurt.)

For what it's worth, I laugh when I fall too! lol

30. DevinG profile image61
    DevinGposted 14 years ago

I laugh to myself, unless it looks like it hurts. If it looks like it hurts, then I feel sorry for them.

31. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

No, I do not..I am disabled ( physically ) and when I fall it is a serious matter...its never funny when anyone falls

32. profile image56
    A. Faurholtposted 14 years ago

It certainly depends on the situation. If we talk about a drop from a chair, and the person is alright, then I think it is okay to see it from humoristic point-of-view afterwards. But I keep my mouth shut during. It can always go terribly wrong.

33. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

No, but I laugh when I fall down... big_smile

34. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

It depends on who fell ! I would still help them up though

35. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

NO Way. It actually scares me. Maybe because I work in a nursing home and I know how badly the patients can get hurt.

36. Dim Flaxenwick profile image80
    Dim Flaxenwickposted 14 years ago

A
    pompous politician slips on a banana skin YES

An old lady slips on icey road   NO

37. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Depends on what the fall looks like - sometimes it looks like a vaudeville comedy routine and laughter just comes out. But that's pretty rare. I'm way more likely to laugh at myself falling just imagining the flailing and such!

38. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I tripped up the stairs the other day...and yes you all can laugh at me about that too I was laughing my arse off lol

1. profile image0
      baconmidgetposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  39. LizzyBoo profile image60
    LizzyBooposted 14 years ago

Well I fall down 2 days ago. I was taking off a train, but the stairs were so slippery. I end up on my knees and the people were just walking arround me.

I do not laugh when something like that happen.

I do laugh, when my friends fall down in a funny way and laughing, then I do too. When it hurts, it is not funny.

40. dfunzy profile image59
    dfunzyposted 14 years ago

No.

41. profile image0
    baconmidgetposted 14 years ago

@ crazd dont ever go on an escalator and fall going up cause then you will fall for hours

42. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

But of course - and then I try and help them back up while trying to stiffle the laughter...it is a natural reaction and as I've fallen many times and had people laughing like crazy, I understand completely!

43. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Of course. They always laugh at me when I fall. Well, unless it has the appearance of a serious nature.

44. terced ojos profile image60
    terced ojosposted 14 years ago

Hmmm...I had a teacher once. Not fat but just genetically large.  "Big Sexy" I used to say to myself.  Anyway I had a good deal of respect for her because she was the first adult that treated me as an adult and actually listened to my opinion.  She was going over the assignment and as she walked to the chalk board to illustrate something she was talking about the heel of her pump caught in one of the tiles and broke off.  She went tumbling and slumped to the floor with a thud.  I remember as she began to fall feeling terrified that she would be hurt when she hit the floor.  It was scary.  The most amazing thing about the encounter was that noone in this room of 35 11th graders laughed or snickered for that matter.  We all had a great deal of love and respect for this teacher.  She slowly got up and brushed herself off.  She gazed over the room and sighed to herself then said. "thank you all for not laughing"..I doubt she knows to this day the love she garnered from us.  It was at that moment that I stopped laughing at people who fall.  I don't even have the inclination to laugh at them. I imagine though that if she had been your typical controlling butt-wipe of a teacher we would've laughed our everlovin adolescent hearts out.

1. profile image0
      Citrus000posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Big Sexy" sounds like a very wonderful person, and I really enjoyed reading what you had to say about her.
      It is not my first instinct to laugh at someone when they fall, I am usually too worried that they hurt themselves, especially if they crashed hard, or if its a little kid. But there are times when what made the person fall was funny and you can't help but let out a giggle, especially if they think its funny also.

45. profile image49
    xhennycposted 14 years ago

See I have a friend named Nina who can't help but break into pieces laughing when someone falls!  FRiday night a small group of us went out for dinner and I was wearing brand new shoes that happen to be VERY slippery and as the waitress was guiding us to our seats I slipped and landed right on my knee! Nina tried so hard to keep it together to ask me if I was okay but just couldn't help herself! I'm cracking up as I write this! She just can't help it, I hope I'm around one of these days to witness her bust her *ss! It's not nice to laugh at someone when they fall!! : D

46. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 14 years ago

It depends ...

If somebody really falls, I'm shocked and rush to help.

If it's a silly trip, I might laugh, especially if the tripper is wearing a business suit (don't ask why).

But I never find it funny if it's an elderly person.

47. sumosalesman profile image59
    sumosalesmanposted 14 years ago

Most of it depends on how obnoxious the person is and whether it truly hurts.  Old lady spilling all her groceries on the street? No.  Guy slipping on a wet floor while treating his girlfriend like a toilet over his cell phone? Definitely.

48. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

I don't laugh if the person hurts because of it, but if they don't hurt, then I might laugh. Depends on why it would be considered funny, or not.

49. lightning john profile image60
    lightning johnposted 14 years ago

I laugh when I fall,

50. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 14 years ago

No. I laugh at other things but people falling always just makes me feel worried for them and then relieved when they're ok. It just never strikes me as funny.

1. Art 4 Life profile image61
      Art 4 Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

someone can be hurt badly by falling if by accident,...I never laugh, but I go over and see if they need assistance...now if they fall on purpose, to be funny...yes I will laugh...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)