jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Which would you prefer?

1. Charles James profile image87
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

Knowing nothing of the content, there are three identical looking books on the shelf, all by the same author.

"The Unwanted Tombola Prizes"
    "The Hewson Onion"
    "Mr Hewson Fosters"

Which would you look at first? They all to some extent reflect the content of the book, and I wish to know which title intelligent people like we have on HP would select first.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Unwanted Tombola Prizes

It sounds more ambiguously mysterious, and tombola sounds like something from the islands so more exotic.

2. buckleupdorothy profile image96
    buckleupdorothyposted 4 years ago

Isn't tombola like bingo, played in Turkey on New Year's Eve?

I would go for the third option, and assuming they are alternative titles for the same story, would use the first as a second title. For some reason, the plural 'prizes' leaks into my perception of the story as scattered/unfocused - like each prize will go off on its own journey and we're going to be expected to follow each and every one.

3. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 4 years ago

I would look at the tombola one first, which sounds to me like the first part of the series. Anyway, I think most tombola prizes tend to be unwanted, but it's fun to see who gets what because most of the time they're completely useless to them and you can joke around about it. The second one sounds more interesting, and the third utterly boring.

4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I'd take the "onion" one.  It's simple and succinct.  I'm fine with figuring out what it means as I get farther into, or to the end of, the book.  To me, the simple title suggests a lot more depth to both the author and the content.  It's the old "less-in-more" thing, I guess.   The "tombola" one seems more like an essay title to me.  The third one - not very interesting (IMHO  hmm).  I don't know Mr. Hewson, and I don't know if "Fosters" is a third name for him or if "fosters" is a verb, as in "fosters children who are wards of the state".  I don't know....    everybody knows the simple onion.  The suggestion that there's a story to it comes with its being Mr. Hewson's.

5. That Grrl profile image80
    That Grrlposted 4 years ago

I'd pick up The Unwanted Tombola Prize because I'd be curious to know what a tombola is.

6. ar.colton profile image92
    ar.coltonposted 4 years ago

The top two mean nothing to me. I would pick "Mr. Hewson Fosters" as I enjoy character based fiction. However, if you are intending to go trad or small publishing it may not be up to you. I would pick a working title and move on as you will likely have to change it later.