Do you prefer science or history?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (36 posts)
  1. starstream profile image43
    starstreamposted 11 years ago

Do you prefer science or history?

2. alancaster149 profile image74
    alancaster149posted 11 years ago

This is a bit like asking: 'Do you prefer life to death?'
    Science is knowledge and so is history, of a different nature. Whereas my Hubs tend to be largely historic in content, I wouldn't preclude scienctific knowledge. We use science to discover the past, in carbon-dating artefacts from hundreds of thousands of years back to hundreds of years. We also use science to establish identity, such as genealogy and DNA testing to find out whether relics or remains are what archaeologists say they may be.
    Postholes in the ground can be verified by evidence of burning in the earth, and ships like Henry VIII's 'Mary Rose' have been pieced together with the aid of tools normally used to build on riverbeds. Roman and Greek civil or military engineering has been unearthed in Europe and North Africa, remains of Pompeii extracted from the coagulated ash rained down by Vesuvius with the aid of modern engineering developed in science. Modern machinery is different from its predecessors only by advances in technology, the physics are in the laws of nature.
    Since the apple fell on Isaac Newton science and history are interlinked.

1. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
      Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say since well before Newton.  I think of prehistory as having so much to do with science, though the science is not written down.  I think of cave dwellers, hunter-gatherers and so on, learning to make fire, different hunting techniques etc.

2. starstream profile image43
      starstreamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for your excellent answer.  It is appreciated. I encourage everyone to read it!

3. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

That would entirely depend upon the type of science in question. Biology? Chemistry? With both of these, history would win. But with behavioral sciences? History would lose.

4. Beata Stasak profile image79
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Just like alancaster said, there are too closely interlinked that it is hard to choose one or another:) Sciene and history are both the main ground stone on which our civilization and everything we know and believe in, stand:)

1. ceyda profile image60
      ceydaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ın my opınıon history can give a right to science .but  when we look at the evolution of human for example ; people had contributed to their  life with science  discovering the world by judging and proposing some theories like why ,how,where..

5. Radical Rog profile image70
    Radical Rogposted 11 years ago

I think it takes an understanding of history to fully understand science and an understanding of science to fully understand history. History is affected by scientific development just as scientific development has a history and this crosses over into so many fields.
    Modern architects consider underfloor heating to be something relatively new but ancient Romans used an underfloor heating system in all their posh houses.

6. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
    Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

Same here.  The two subjects are not, and indeed cannot be, mutually exclusive.  To understand science you must have a good knowledge of how developments, theories, discoveries and practices came to be; you must understand the path your discipline has taken to be able to take it forward. 

And likewise, you cannot read history without hitting on science at some point - the written past is awash with scientific discoveries, affecting every aspect of life, the progress of civilisations, war, health, economics, the arts, the day to day life of every human who has ever lived from the lowest in society to the highest in every land.  Every topic of history you may care to look at will have some involvement with science - humans are scientists, it's the way they process the information their brains receive about the world, whether they know it or not.

1. alancaster149 profile image74
      alancaster149posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Leonardo da Vinci was probably scientifically minded, envisaging mechanically assisted flight and other technical developments. His outlook on art was more scientific than, say, Durer or Michelangelo, although these artists used realism in their work

2. starstream profile image43

I agree the two must work together in our progress across time.

7. Mitch Alan profile image79
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

I like to see how science, innovations and inventions have intersected history and change the course...some for good, some not. A really interesting show that played "connect the dots" with this in mind was "Connections" and "Connections II" with James Burke.

I remember that programme. Don't know what happened to Mr Burke, though. It was good while it lasted, but maybe it was a bit above some viewers if it was taken off the air because of falling ratings.

8. lorddraven2000 profile image90
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

I am about 50/50 on this one. I love science and theory but history has always been a big part of my life.

9. profile image0
    Kieran Gracieposted 11 years ago

As others have already commented, the two disciplines are inter-twined and are merely two aspects of life's rich pattern.  When I was at school my history teachers were obsessed with dates (the date of the Treaty of ... or the date of King So-and-so ascending his throne, etc), and also a very narrow band of history - in my case it was the Tudor kings of England to the exclusion of most other history.  Science, on the other hand, was exciting because I already knew that I wanted to become an engineer.  So, science 1, History 0.

Later I discovered the almost bottomless pit of historical knowledge.  In whatever direction I traveled there was more history than I could ever encompass.  I found, and still find, this totally fascinating.  But, as I climbed the engineering ladder and became more and more management oriented, I found that I was forgetting most of the science that I had learned. 

Now I am still interested in science but much prefer history.

This is a very interesting answer. Thank you for taking time to share and to point out your life experience. It may be that a few readers of your response will consider history more interesting and important.

10. brblog profile image82
    brblogposted 11 years ago

I would have to choose history over science – as an interest. Many think history is about events but I look at as being about people, their situations and actions trough time. I see science as more about the processes of life. That is also interesting but for me, history trumps it.

When we look at events in our past certainly it helps us to better understand and make choices for our present. I like the idea of choices for our future which certainly involve some science too.

11. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

I enjoy and prefer learning about science. I learn about history in school but when given the choice, I choose more science.

Trouble with the way 'subjects' are dealt with in education many can't figure a link between, say, geography and history or science. In itself English Language is a study in history!

12. FolliediVetro profile image60
    FolliediVetroposted 11 years ago

Hi,I do prefer science,but history can teach us many things, the past often become part of the future.

13. James-wolve profile image74
    James-wolveposted 11 years ago

History by far.
    History is very interesting, more academic  than science.
    Science could also be portrayed as interesting... it's more practical than history.
    Personally, I prefer History because you get to learn about different people, different periods of times, and different places.

Thanks for offering your comments on this question.

14. dommcg profile image72
    dommcgposted 11 years ago

I love them both, science helps us to undersatand the future and history helps us understand the past. We need to understand them both to prepare for the future and all that it will throw at us.

1. haikutwinkle profile image60
      haikutwinkleposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree.
      Science is more focused on what's going to happen tomorrow and History is more about what had happened in the past.
      There are certainly many reasons why people prefer one over the other.

15. Yahl profile image61
    Yahlposted 11 years ago

I prefer History than Science mainly because I prefer memorizing rather than experimenting. Lol smile

16. abbyw1989 profile image59
    abbyw1989posted 11 years ago

I think this depends greatly on the field in each. I absolutely love studying history, particularly Greek, Roman and English. I love war history too. However I'm fascinated by the social sciences too, Psychology in particular. I think a mixture of both allows a balanced view.

17. Elderberry Arts profile image93
    Elderberry Artsposted 11 years ago

Science definitely and as I have gotten past the stuff they teach over and over in schools I have come to like it more. Though I am not sure I totally understand it though experiments, quantum physics etc would of kept me way more interested at school than learning over and over about reproduction, digestion etc.

18. Miss Mimi profile image60
    Miss Mimiposted 11 years ago

It's a difficult decision, there are areas of each I enjoy learning about. When rigging and performing with fire, I need to use physics and science to be safe and to produce cool effects. But biology was my least favorite subject in school. I love learning about music history and ancient Greece, however reading about the details of battles tends to bore me to the point of losing focus. I feel like the two also work together frequently. I feel like my life would be incomplete if I had to really choose between them, however I believe I have read more historical texts than scientific ones. So far!

19. haikutwinkle profile image60
    haikutwinkleposted 11 years ago

Science is a fact, yet science hasn't (or couldn't) proven whether Reiki actually offers beneficial values to patients.
    History is a fact, yet the printed information on history textbooks are selected with considerations by some Education Committee (who works for the government).

"A simple question
    yet the minds
    complicate things"

20. lanablackmoor profile image82
    lanablackmoorposted 11 years ago

Interesting question! Insofar as studying goes, I absolutely prefer science. I've always had a curiosity for the way things work down to a microscopic level. It's amazing to me that we have a very methodical system for analyzing the natural world and constantly improving ourselves.

As I get older, though, I'm discovering a new appreciation for history. Once you dig into more specific historical topics, you're bound to discover something that interests you more than the general information we all had to learn in high school. Lately I've gotten really into World War II, Celtic and Chinese history.

That's all speaking from a student's perspective, though. Practically speaking, as others have mentioned, the two disciplines are heavily intertwined and I'd hate to see the dismal state we'd all be in without a solid understanding of either one.

21. Insightful Tiger profile image73
    Insightful Tigerposted 11 years ago

OK , so the way I'm taking this question is like this- I'm on a deserted Island and there is a genie and a TV. He says that he can only let me watch one channel. History or Science. I would choose History, because it would include science up to the last second:) and if he let me have one more wish. I would wish for more wishes. Loophole!! Score!! Badabing! tongue

22. profile image0
    supreme upbeatposted 11 years ago

We must know the history of science and the sciene of history to better understand science and history .I think this is like to choose nerve and heart out of a human being.Once when Aristotle was asked to define the relationship between science and religion,he said that without religion siene is lame and religion can not stand without sience..Thus I can conlude that that these two subjects are interrelated and interlinked.

23. geetbhim profile image60
    geetbhimposted 11 years ago

Science or history it depends on person choice what do they like to study. I like science than history as both subject is important for the betterment of human race.

24. oceanuniverse profile image60
    oceanuniverseposted 11 years ago

I prefer both science and history, they can both teach us certain things about certain things. Science teaches us what is going on, what will happen and so. History teaches us what happened in the past and to learn from the past, because everything comes back around again and again.
    I like your question, its a good one.

25. jasonmstyles profile image42
    jasonmstylesposted 11 years ago

If I would have to pick between the two, I would have to go with history. Not that I don't like science. However, I enjoy reading about history and seeing where we came from, how we became who we are, the good, the bad and the ugly. For me, looking into the past can help explain and lead to new things, such as science.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)