Do you favor lower blood alcohol content for DUI?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Saw on the news the U.S. is considering lowering the blood alcohol content (BAC) to be chargedwith Driving Under the Influence from .08 to .05.
    Apparently other countries have the lower rate and it's saved thousands of lives.

Would you like to see the BAC reduced to .05 in your state?
    Do you think your state is likely to adopt this change?
    Do you think it's fair or unjust to responsible drinkers?

Here's a link showing drunk driving statistics by state.

http://www.centurycouncil.org/state-facts

1. LauraGT profile image85
      LauraGTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, absolutely.  A BAC of .08 represents someone who is substantially impaired.  For an average weight woman, it's 2-3 drinks in an hour, and for an average man, it's around 3-4 drinks in an hour.  One scary thing about drinking (as it relates to driving) is that it reduces people's ability to make sound judgments and can make people feel like they are more functional than they actually are.

The US limits are not particularly strict.  This is an issue where there is a direct correlation - more restrictive BAC limits = fewer traffic fatalities.  It simply makes sense to reduce the limits to help save lives.

2. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

No.

One law. Reckless driving. One punishment(stiff).

I don't care if you're drunk, stoned, texting, or falling asleep. If you swerve between lanes, hurt, or kill somebody, you pay the time.

3. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

The reason I say this is because I'm tired of us trying to teach behavior by having laws that punish symptoms. All of these things are symptoms of being irresponsible and callous towards the rights of others.

Stop treating every symptom differently, and show people that there are very serious consequences for the problem.

How much more seriously do you think people would take driving if they knew that one mistake caused by texting would lose them their privilege to drive forever? What if they knew driving with a revoked license meant prison?

I'm sorry, we have coddled personal responsibility completely out of the nation.

1. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To your point Jaxson, I was asked to take someone to an AA meeting on Monday because he had (temporarily) lost his license due to a DUI.

I am a recovering alcoholic and tend to take my program seriously.

As soon as we left the meeting he informed me that he liked drinking, and had no intention of quitting...he's just attending meetings to get his license back.  Also, his blood alcohol level read at .138 (according to him.)

I certainly agree with the stiff fines, regardless of what kind of reckless driving is involved.  But I also agree that the blood alcohol level should be raised.

And, you are correct....there is no accountability left in this country!

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Put them in prison and put them to work. Society should directly benefit from incarcerated individuals, instead of having to subsidize their (often) rather nice lifestyle.

You killed someone driving drunk? You can spend the rest of your life on a chain cleaning up roads, painting buildings, whatever, but doing something productive for society.

If it were up to me, nobody would be committing crimes to get back into jail... so they can get free food, shelter, tv, exercise machines, etc etc etc.

4. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

Wendi M,
    That doesn't surprise me at all. Court-ordered meetings can introduce someone to
    the rooms of AA.
    But they won't stay unless THEY see the benefit of quitting drinking.
    How often does it take 2,3 and even 4 or 5 DUIs to bring someone to their knees?

1. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Mighty Mom!  This man is in fact on his 3rd DUI!  I just don't get it!

5. Alphadogg16 profile image83
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I 100% agree with JaxsonRaine, there is no accountability, no one is held responsible for their actions.....then its the bars fought for serving them. I know people now that have 4 & 5 DWI's and are still drinking and driving. Although they are suppose to be Felonies. You are risking the lives of others. The punishment should be stiff and harsh. No exceptions.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 10 years ago

I'd like to see this addressed as more of a public safety issue than a crime and punishment issue.
    Install those breathalizer devices in vehicles. If you blow above a BAC of whatever the
    legal limit is, your vehicle won't start.
    Period.
    I think it's fair to say that anyone with 4 or 5 DUIs is a very sick mid to late stage
    alcoholic and is very very dangerous on the road.
    However, steep fines, jail time, lost licenses are not going to ever stop the real alcoholic.

7. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 10 years ago

I agree with dropping the BAC for DUI.  NY should adopt it,
    bars and restaurants are furious because they will lose business,
    obviously.  There is enough happening while driving on
    busy highways - adding the alcohol mix to the bloodstream should
    be guarded and re-evaluated.  It doesn't matter whether male or
    female, how much you weigh or how much an individual can
    handle before their vision is impaired - they should set the BAC
    lower to prevent death, accidents, injury, damages plus all the
    red tape and rigamarole that is attached to drunk driving.

8. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

I see this the same way I see most gun laws. People who are going to drink and drive will do so no matter the law and responsible people will continue to be responsible no matter the laws.

Actually, there's a lot of data on this.  Decreasing the BAC limits is correlated with decreased traffic fatalities. Of course, some people will still drink and drive - nothing is 100%, but across the entire population, these types of policy changes can impact behavior.  Marketing campaigns that make people aware of the laws and consequences, and that promote positive behaviors can also have a big impact on changing people's behaviors.

9. stclairjack profile image78
    stclairjackposted 10 years ago

a drunk is gona drive weather you move the decimal point or change one digit,. or not... a true alcoholic that does iresponsible things is already playing with lives long before he/she got behind the wheel,.. most drunks have wrecked thier lives long before they wreck thier first car... theyve more than likely killed a marriage and at least 3-5 treasured friendships before they kill the inocent victem they never met on the road.

i'm not trivializing the lives of drunk driving victems, but i am saying that the problem is far bigger than that,.... alcohol dependance is a serious problem for many MANY people, some who funtion well in society for 20-30 years before something finaly slips,... for many its landing in court for the DWI... best case scenario BEFORE they kill someone.

in as much as getting affoul of the law can be the wake up call that changes someones life, be it with drugs or alcohol,.. then yea,... i'm glad there are laws that can be used as tools for recovery,.... but,....

in missouri there are cities that not only pull you over and give you a DWI or DUI,.. they impound your car/truck and legaly steel it,.... take your property from you and sell it at auction, if you owe money on it the bank will be notified and they have the option of buying it at the auction,.. or not,.. so you could be left with debt to a bank for a truck you no longer own,... this may be your FAMILIES only mode of transport, so perhaps now NO ONE is getting to work in your house hold... no one will get to the dr,... not quite sure how you get to your court hearing on time iether,... (seems like a whole new set of reasons to drink if you ask me) but they do indeed impound and TAKE your vehicle and sell it,.... its become quite the qiet racket in my home state,... meanwhile a persons life is utterly ruined by possibly one incendent, thier entire families lives may be in ruin because an ambitious proffit driven justice system wants to make money cleverly disguised as "throwing the book at them"

i've watched more than one person go through the system for drunk driving charges,... and the system is rigged for failure,... the hurdles are high, and there is no room for individual descretion,... without a trememdous family and friend suport structure there is a VERY high rate of failure,... and thats ok with a system that PROFFITS from failure,... make no mistake about it,.. its not about rehabilitating people, or protecting people,.. its about conviction rates and jail census,.... period.

if lowering the BAC is to be used for nothing more than impounding more vehicles for sale at a proffit,... and getting more wins on the prosecuting attournys campaign badge,... then no... i dont suport it at all,... and trust me,.. that is exactly what it will equate to.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004

texting while driving has out-paced drinking and driving as killer behavior in my state and many others,.. but i guess since the person who killed somebody while texting still takes a good mugshot,... and the drunk is still easier to point an accusing finger at,.... and more entertaining to watch take the sobriety test on youtube,.. we'lll chase a lower BAC..... since confiscating a cell phone and selling it on ebay isnt nearly as proffitable as steeling cars and selling them at auction,... we'll chase a lower BAC.

So, I think the issue here is not alcoholics.  You're probably right, people who are dependent on alcohol may not change their behaviors. But, the vast majority of people who drink are not alcohol dependent, and changing the behaviors of those more "recreational" drinkers is probably more the target for this type of policy change.

And, laws are becoming more strict about texting and driving, and will continue to do so as evidence mounts about how these laws can be effective in saving lives.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)