Have you heard about what is going in Turkey right now?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)
  1. profile image0
    KFushaposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8080100_f248.jpg
    It's huge.  It all began as a peaceful demonstration against the demolition of Taksim Gezi Park in Instanbul.  The Turkish government intended to replace the park with a shopping mall.  What began as a peaceful demonstration, however, has transformed into the biggest civil uprising in Turkish history.  Unfortunately, I still encounter plenty of people who do not have a clue as to what is happening on the other side of the world, despite the countless solidarity demonstrations that have taken place in many major cities across the United States.
    If you would like to gain further knowledge on the subject and keep up with the updates of the situation as they are unfolding, click on the following links:
    https://twitter.com/youranonnews
    https://twitter.com/globalrevlive

Were you aware of this chain of events?  Do you think the media should have provided better coverage on the subject?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Those links told me nothing except that the owner of the blog is some sort of Greenpeace activist etc.
      Is that you?

Here's what I did find from an article online------------------

"Turkish citizens are crowdfunding their protests against the government.

Turkish protestors have raised $86,000 on Indiegogo to place a full-page in the New York Times raising awareness about the current political situation in Turkey. The campaign went live yesterday with the goal of $53,800 and according to Forbes is one of Indiegogo’s fastest politics campaigns ever. The campaign has 2,210 funders from around the world.

Protests broke out in Turkey over the weekend after the government attempted to bulldoze a park to build a shopping mall and military barracks. The movement quickly gained momentum and turned into a nationwide demonstration of tens of thousands of people against the government. Citizens are “protesting lack of consultation, police’s use of excessive force, defending freedom of speech and right to assembly, and the resignation of Erdogan’s government.”

Murat Aktihanoglu, Oltac Unsal, and Duygy Atacan set up the campaign to attract attention and support they “push for true democracy in our country.” The three live in New York and are active with the entrepreneur/startup scene there. They watched the protests and violent response by the government but felt the events were not receiving adequate coverage in the Turkish press and turned to social media and Indiegogo to gain a following. They also opened up the drafting of the ad’s proposal to the crowd and allowed  supports to edit and vote for their favorite.
      Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/04/prote … b.99"

While I'm interested, yes, in what this is all about (can't imagine why bulldozing a park is such an issue to cause such a "revolution"!)..........
      What I'm wondering right now is why 3 U.S. residents (the article says the campaigners live in New York) are trying to use our News agencies to fund their protest for "their Country" as they say, which is Turkey?     Why is Turkey "their Country" if they live in New York?
      ??

1. profile image0
        KFushaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you paid attention, those links I provided you with are providing live updates, including pictures, from Turkish protesters themselves. They work as independent news networks all over the world.

2. A Little TRUTH profile image80
      A Little TRUTHposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Regarding any violence that may have taken place, it’s good to keep in mind that it’s not uncommon for infiltrators to be sent in to create violence.  A little violence blamed on the people goes a long way toward helping the government justify its agenda of tighter control.

3. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Best of luck to the protesting Turks - this has been brewing for quite some time. I hope that Erdogan actually starts listening to people, for once, instead of continuing his shift towards autocracy and eroding Turkey's secular legal system.

The Greek media has covered the protests pretty well, as you would imagine, and many Greek cities have seen solidarity marches and demonstrations.

Thanks for the links - I will check them out smile

2. HollieT profile image81
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

Brenda, the unrest is not about bull dozing a park. It is about how authoritarian the govt. have become. Yes, there was a peaceful demonstration initially, and they were all tear gased etc. including children, for taking part in a peaceful demonstration. The unrest is about state violence against the populace.

@the OP, I believe the media have only only briefly covered the events because of tourism- wouldn't want to upset business, would they?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right about the riots not being about a park being bulldozed.  Local mobs might form over that, but not in dozens of cities.  This is far more about how people view their government.

But peaceful - that depends on who is doing the talking,  From ABC news:
      "In Taksim, protesters overturned an NTV satellite van, smashing its equipment and ripping the doors almost off their hinges."  There are also claims of looting and there are 500 police injured now.

So, as is always the case, the mob claims they're peaceful to vilify govt. actions, the authorities say they're not to vilify mob actions.  And no doubt the truth will lie somewhere in between just as it always does.

1. HollieT profile image81
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, I meant the initial protest was a peaceful one, which is where the protesters were tear gased. That was the catalyst for the unrest now, which is far from peaceful.

I understood that, I just don't see the govt. or police agreeing that it was peaceful.  The mob leaders always claim it was, the police and govt. always claim otherwise.  And I always think that both are right, in limited ways.

Because you can't get that many people together in anger and not have some violence.  Between protesters if nothing else.  There is always some looting; such a mob is a haven for crooks that aren't interested in the protest, just in stealing while attention is elsewhere.

In addition, violence has many forms; shutting down a store's business, taking away their income because you're blocking the street, is a form of violence and every protest does that, just as it shuts down a public street to travel.  Every protest of any size will leave a mess behind did; a mess that someone else has to pay to clean up.  And every time a mob of size gathers there is always at least some destruction of property as well.

I saw the footage on ITV (of the initial protest) where the protesters, were doing just that, protesting with placards- that's it. There were children there, too- it was non-violent, then out of the blue the police appeared and tear gased them all. The kids too. 

So, the govt. and police are on a loser with this one, because it was filmed.

Ah.  You mean the footage where the camera man carefully turned the camera away from the thief breaking into the store?  And where the two protestors that got into a fight over the girl was edited out?

And particularly from where the protestors refused a lawfully given order to disperse? 

You mean the cameras weren't on the police trucks as the extra cops and tear gas was brought to the site?  It didn't follow those trucks down the street?

The point is, Hollie, that you are watching film and commentary from people claiming it was peaceful.  You aren't reading the police reports of the violence they claim was there.  Understandable; in this case those reports are going to be difficult to dig out, but I assure you they are there.

Now, I'm not saying that the tear gas was justified, even though I have little concern about a mob of people "protesting" as a means of getting laws changed.  From what little I've seen and read the cops were wrong (not individual cops necessarily, but the higher-ups giving the order).  I'm just saying that we're seeing only one side, the side that is manipulating the media the best.  There is another side to the story, but we aren't seeing it and it would seem smart to get both sides before making a final decision.

I understand the govt. has issued a formal apology; my reaction is "Who's going to be the scapegoat this time?"  Because, again, that's the way govt. typically operates.  Somebody, somewhere, eventually makes what is probably a perfectly legal call but is hung out to dry for political reasons.  It's more important to retain the Presidents approval rating than the job of a cop somewhere.  Again, time will tell, though - maybe somebody really did make an extremely poor, or illegal, call and sent in the tear gas.  Or maybe some scared cop tightened his finger a little too much on the trigger and set off a conflagration.  We may never know the whole truth.

1. profile image0

wilderness,
                It seems to me that you are arguing against the protestors and attempting to justify the government's actions, which is pretty disturbing. These police officers you defend were beating women and children. You're sitting here saying things such as:  "The point is, Hollie, that you are watching film and commentary from people claiming it was peaceful.  You aren't reading the police reports of the violence they claim was there."
                You, on the other hand, have OBVIOUSLY ONLY WATCHED THE VERSION THAT THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA WANTS YOU TO WATCH. Practice what you preach. Look for alternate sources of information. Go on YouTube and type in "taksim gezi park police brutality" and you will see things that will make your stomach turn inside out. Shame on you for defending these animals.

You apparently don't read very thoroughly.  To date I haven't said a single thing about the cops, except that they will declare themselves innocent of wrongdoing.  Just as the mob members will.

Read it again - everything I have posted is about not knowing if it was a peaceful demonstration.  Not that it was, not that it wasn't, just that a claim by demonstrators doesn't make it so.

1. profile image0

You apparently are in denial.

"But peaceful - that depends on who is doing the talking,  From ABC news:
                    "In Taksim, protesters overturned an NTV satellite van, smashing its equipment and ripping the doors almost off their hinges."  There are also claims of looting and there are 500 police injured now." - This is the only reference you make to any media source.

"And particularly from where the protestors refused a lawfully given order to disperse?" - Lawful order to end a demonstration of people standing up against tyranny and injustice?  You should consider moving to North Korea.

You've been writing paragraphs among paragraphs, filled with such phrases.  Yet, you end your arguments with things such as "I'm just saying that we're seeing only one side". (Yes, obviously you are only seeing the mainstream media's side.) 
                    What you are doing is similar to using derogatory terms to insult someone and then finishing your insults with "no offense intended".

By the way, the mob members are not declaring these to be peaceful protests.  They are not declaring themselves innocent of wrongdoing.  They are taking pride in standing up to an oppressive government and fighting back by all means necessary - as any intelligent group of people ought to do when faced with injustice and tyranny.

Oh, and the very first protest was indeed extremely peaceful.  It consisted of a group of no more than 50 environmentalists who opposed the destruction of the park.  These 50 were tear gassed, water-hosed and even beaten.  What would you do if this happened to your wife, children, niece, brother, or anyone else you care about?  I'm sure that following "lawful" orders would be the last thing on your mind.

2. HollieT profile image81

Ah.  You mean the footage where the camera man carefully turned the camera away from the thief breaking into the store?  And where the two protestors that got into a fight over the girl was edited out?

No, that's the not the footage that I have seen, and even if it were, where do the police get off tear gasing and bullying children?

And particularly from where the protestors refused a lawfully given order to disperse? 

Protesters also have the legal right to protest!

The point is, Hollie, that you are watching film and commentary from people claiming it was peaceful.  You aren't reading the police reports of the violence they claim was there.  Understandable; in this case those reports are going to be difficult to dig out, but I assure you they are there.

The point is, Wilderness, that you are watching film and commentary from people claiming it was violent. You aren't  reading the protesters reports of violence they claim was there. Understandable; in this case those reports are going to be difficult to dig out, but I assure you they are there. 

This could go on forever, but the fact remains that children were brutalized by the state, as such, the reaction of the rest of the nation is justified.

"where do the police get off tear gasing and bullying children"

Wrong question - the right one is where do parents get off taking children to a large protest where there is likely to be violence?  Because there almost always is, you know - a protest without violence doesn't attract the media and protest leaders know this quite well.  Nor can police simply ignore criminal activity because a child has been brought to the scene for protection of the adults.

"Protesters also have the legal right to protest"

No proof at all, but I find it very highly doubtful that the police gassed people with have any legal reason to do so.  I don't know Turkish law, but doubt that the actions of the protesters were legal.  Nor do think you do (you haven't indicated such legal knowledge) so any such claim is highly suspect.

No, I'm not watching film from people claiming it is violent.  I easily found a single media report of one instance of violence, but that's all.  What I AM asking for is that the people here in this forum, claiming that there was NO violence, do a little research before making the claim.  That single claim pretty well makes a lie of "peaceful" if it is true.  As it is from a US media source rather than a Turkish one (built in prejudice in reporting political activity in your own country) I tend to believe it a little more.  ABC has no political axe to grind here, Turkish media certainly does.

I'm sorry, but there is NO justification for a riot and the destruction of public and private property that always accompanies such a thing.  Not "brutalized" children, not the death of protesters or cops and certainly not the screams of rage from a mob of angry people.  Not even the cops gassing your child gives you any right, legal or ethical, to destroy a TV van.  At best there is no result from such an action, at worst the cops begin firing real bullets into the crowd.  It's happened before.

Wilderness, children were playing in the park, it's a park where children play. Some may have been with the protesters, the remainder were absolutely nothing to do with the protesters. You appear to believe that damage to property trumps the safety of children, on this we clearly disagree.

Here's Amnesty or Human Rights watch take on how peaceful protesters are treated by Turkish police. Or do you know more about it then them?

Article 34 of the 1982 Constitute (as amended on October 17, 2001) states, "Everyone has the right to hold unarmed and peaceful meetings and demonstration marches without prior permission." Restrictions may only be introduced on the grounds of national security, and public order, or prevention of crime commitment, public health and public morals or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others. Article 3 of Law 2911 on demonstrations and meeting provides, "Everybody has the right to hold unarmed and peaceful assembly without prior permission."[77] Nevertheless Amnesty International stated in 2009 that the right to freedom of peaceful assembly was denied, and law enforcement officials used excessive force to disperse demonstrations.[74]
                    Deaths due to excessive police force during demonstrations have a long history in Turkey. They include
                    Taksim Square massacre of 1 May 1977, death toll varies between 34 and 42
                    Further casualties on 1 May Labour Day (all in Istanbul):
                    1989: 1 person killed[78]
                    1996: 3 demonstrators killed.
                    Newroz celebrations; usually on or around 21 March each year
                    Newroz 1991: 31 people shot dead[79] The annual report of the Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (HRFT) reported that one demonstrator was killed in Nusaybin.[80]
                    Newroz 1992: The Newroz festivities left at least 91 people dead in three towns of the southeast, Cizre, Sirnak and Nusaybin, and 9 others elsewhere in the region, and according to Helsinki Watch, 'all or nearly all of the casualties resulted from unprovoked, unnecessary and unjustified attacks by Turkish security forces against peaceful Kurdish civilian demonstrators'.[81]
                    Newroz 1993: Three people were killed in Adana and Batman.[82]
                    Different occasions
                    Funeral of Vedat Aydin in Diyarbakir in June 1991, 15 people were shot dead[83] The annual report of the HRFT reported that seven demonstrators were killed.[80]
                    Demonstration in Digor because of the 9th anniversary of the beginning of the armed fight of the PKK on 15 August 1984. 15 demonstrators were killed.[84]
                    20 people died in Gazi and 1 May quarter of Istanbul during an unrest that started with shots on coffee shop frequented by Alevis.[85]
                    Funeral of PKK militants at the end of March 2006: 13 people were killed in Diyarbakir and further places[86]

2. profile image0

Hollie, it's pointless to argue with this guy.  He is basing his whole argument on an ABC "news" article.  That is ignorance at its finest.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dude, Brenda's a Christian. Of course she doesn't see anything wrong with an oppressive authoritarian regime.

1. profile image0

Amen.

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That was uncalled for and just plain wrong.
        I see a lot wrong with oppressive regimes.  Including the one that's being set in place in my Country.
        Just because you obviously must be referring to God as an "oppressive regime" is your problem too.   Can you not hold a serious honest discussion without cutting down Christianity?
        I see a LOT wrong with THAT type of behavior, and it feeds the tyranny that's being perpetuated in my Country by an anti-Christian President.   So it would be nice if you didn't make such outlandish remarks about Christians.   We're people too, ya know, and ........lo and behold!..........we have.........civil RIGHTS.    I'm getting pretty tired of people cutting me down.  And I'm getting really tired of having an unChristian President whose rhetoric keeps trickling down to every liberal who's willing to follow his carp.

And I did say I was interested in this issue.   But I asked a question that people have ignored.    WHY do "Turkish" people living in my Country call Turkey their Country?  Why do they want Americans to help them with their revolution?   Are they gonna help us Americans get out from under Obama's oppressive hand?   I highly doubt it.   Yet they use our compassion and money for their purposes?
        America,  contrary to what Obama wants to instill here, is not a "global" Nation.  We are a Sovreign Nation.    And he (and anyone else who's an American) should be called to account and made to behave in a  patriotic manner toward THIS Country and protect THIS Country first and foremost.

That being said,  if the issue in Turkey is a legit one (pay attention, though, to wilderness's very informative words).........then I have compassion for their status and their revolution.    But it's really odd that people expect Americans to take their word for it without knowing the whole facts,  and it's really odd that people look to one oppressive leader (Obama) to help them fight against another oppressive regime.    It's messed up.

1. profile image0

We are all human beings! What is wrong with you people...
          Stop dividing humanity with this pointless "Liberal V's Conservative" talk, or this nation V's that nation.  No one even mentioned Obama until you did.  There are only two kinds of people in this world:  the oppressed and the ones doing the oppression.

And your whole statement, including "wilderness's very informative words" proves that you are a self-centered, ignorant and cold-hearted person.  Women and children are being beaten in Turkey.  Over 25 people have died from wounds caused by Police brutality. 
          So much for your "Christianity"...

I'm an atheist, TF!

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
          Mighty Momposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There have actually been quite a few "unChristian" US Presidents. Some of our
          greatest, most effective and most beloved among them.

http://www.theamateurthinker.com/2011/1 … residents/

3. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 10 years ago

The MSM is not interested in this revolution because the West has no interest in invading Turkey at this moment. No mystery really.

Turkey is an oppressive government that is buddy-buddy with NATO, so that makes it OK.

Very, very well said!

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 10 years ago

...ah yup....i watch world news every morning....citizens are not happy......there's a big problem.....it has nothing to do with a park.......

5. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

The people are bothered because they will demolish a park and on the other hand their government is participating in the killing of civilians in Syria and suddenly they become quiet! What if I become as indifferent as they are?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)