Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty sharing his opinion of homosexuality.

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (37 posts)
  1. flacoinohio profile image78
    flacoinohioposted 10 years ago

If Phil Robertson was inappropriate in sharing his opinion with Drew Magary I could understand the outcry from the GLBT community and the GLAAD organization.  I know many gay and lesbian couples who openly discuss the intimate parts of their relationships (sometimes quite loudly I might add) and promote their lifestyle to others even if they are aware that those around them do not personally accept or support same sex relationships and rights.  When was the last time a GLBT celebrity was sanctioned for expressing their opinion about heterosexual relationships?   It is very rare to see a GLBT community member bashing heterosexual beliefs, but it is very common to hear the promotion of same sex relationships and gay rights even if a venue does not concern GLBT issues.   What is your opinion on this recent incident?

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I can't imagine what could be so offensive.

/facepalm

1. profile image59
        retief2000posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Offensive to whom, those seeking to be offended?  The perpetually offended class?  Whining babies all.

And if someone from a major TV network said "All Christians are promiscuous and commit bestiality," you wouldn't be fazed whatsoever.

Oh wait, no, you'd launch a tirade about "the Left" for an hour and a half, in typical retief2000 fashion.

1. profile image59

I wonder who said homosexuals are all promiscuous and commit bestiality?  I understand it is hard  to resist confirmation bias, but it would be nice if there was some tiny effort to do so.  I also understand that it is very hard to think in complete ideas rather than merely vent the spleen.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not surprised by Mr. Robertson's opinion on the matter.  It does not matter to me in the slightest.  There are more issues to be concerned with besides Mr. Robertson's opinion on the issue at hand.  There are issues of homelessness especially in families, child and spousal abuse, racism, ageism, high unemployment rate, and the deteriorating quality of education in this country.   Mr. Robinson can say what he wants as long as he does not harm anyone.

3. Silverspeeder profile image59
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see the interview, was he asked his opinion or did he just offer it?

Everyone has an opinion on everything if the question is asked of them, to castigate someone for their answer if you don't like or agree with it is easy.
      If you think you are not going to like the answer to your question don't ask it. Unless you are looking for the argument of course.

1. profile image59

It was a magazine interview and he responded to the interviewer causing a kerfuffle.

4. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

LOL. I love that, Phil was "sharing his opinion". If it was his opinion to be shared, I could understand that, but it's not his opinion, its' already a well know common hatred shared by hypocritical bible thumpers. Phil would have to be a whole lot more intellectually challenged than I could imagine if he actually didn't know his comments were going to viewed as inappropriate, but I could be overestimating his capacity for rational thought as he most likely believed they were appropriate and "shared" by every other God fearing Christian.

Perhaps, they're going out their way to annoy you because they're fully aware your position on the subject. I find it very hard to believe you know many gay and lesbian couples.

Obviously, Phil's not very bright, despite the shows success, but that success reflects more of the not so very bright who watch it and what they believe.

1. bBerean profile image59
        bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent illustration of someone assigning lack of intelligence to another simply because they disagree with them.  Masters in education, pro level QB (even if he turned down the offer), and a highly successful business man...all before reality TV courted him.  We get you don't like him, but your allegation Mr. Robertson is "obviously not very bright" is merit-less.

1. gmwilliams profile image84

Mr. Robertson does have a Masters in Education and was a teacher for a while.

...and for the sports fans, Terry Bradshaw was his backup quarterback at Louisiana Tech.  Folks can argue against his views all they want, but make themselves look silly saying the man is stupid.  wink

1. profile image59

They also make themselves look silly (and many more things) arguing that he is a bigot.

2. gmwilliams profile image84

Yes, he did play football for a while.  He just voiced his opinion according to what he believed to be in the bible, that's it.

And if he voiced his opinion that disobedient children should be murdered in the city square by the entire town?

That's in the Bible, too, you know. And it's actually a commandment of God, right next to killing nonbelievers, selling your just-raped daughter to her rapist, and not wearing two kinds of fabric at once!

1. gmwilliams profile image84

To reiterate, I said that he voiced his opinion; however, I DON'T agree with it!

It's not so much a matter of disagreement as it is a matter of putting into perspective how lousy the "just stating his opinion" argument is when you bring up equally-offensive scripture.

2. profile image59

Nothing like being willfully ignorant - have fun with that.

Oh, do you have the verse where Jesus says the Law of Moses no longer applies? (If so, have fun with Matthew 5:17-18, chuckle-head!)

Or are you going to try to dismiss the Old Testament entirely by quoting Paul and defeating your own argument before it even takes off?

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

“Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there,” he said. “Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”

Are you actually trying to equate what Robertson said with his credentials? Are you saying his credentials make him smart?

Would you suggest we shelve his masters, his bachelors, his teaching, all of his business achievements and relegate him to the "not bright" pile because his view of sin, (first that it exists and second what constitutes it), does not align with yours?  Must one be subject to the Dawkinsian sect of Scientism to qualify as "bright" in your book?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Firstly, we don't base a person's intelligence on their credentials, that is a fallacy.

Secondly, He does not have a view of sin, he has an indoctrinated belief to hate homosexuals and believes that is an appropriate thing to say in an interview. That makes him fit quite well in the not bright pile.

Does one merely have to have credentials to qualify as bright in yours?

1. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can one's friends be an indication of intelligence?  Seems that both Westboro Church as well as Terry Jones (of Quran burning fame) have endorsed Robertson.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/westboro- … k-dynasty/

1. profile image0
                  Sooner28posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think in a sense yes.  If all my friends are members of the KKK or the flat earth society, I think you may rightfully wonder about my intelligence.

2. bBerean profile image59

Those "credentials" were earned with study, testing and proven performance, all of which required intelligence.  Ask yourself how your "credentials" and achievements stack up to his.  It certainly makes no difference to me, but I am not going to consider someone stupid or "not bright" simply because I disagree with them.

He never said he hates homosexuals...that is the projection of you and others on him.  He said he believes it is one out of a list of sins he gave when specifically asked to do so.  He holds a very common belief, that all men are sinners, and that is just one of many sins.  I am not sure how people get "hate" unless perhaps they want to believe that to justify their hatred toward him.

Robertson was asked a question that was intended to extract something that could be used to vilify him, and although I expect he was fully aware of that, he answered honestly.  It appears he was not worried if he would be viewed as bright by those who clearly are bigoted against him, and have chosen to hate him for daring to voice views they feel should be stifled. 

I'll take that as a yes.

Intelligence has nothing to do with getting a degree (look at me, for example!). All you need to do to get a degree is take the least difficult classes required (e.g. Math 017, 019, and 021, got my Math credits, baby!) and not completely and totally fail said classes. Yes, getting a C- counts as a pass. Yes, you can get your degree on nothing but a C-. Yes, it even works at Harvard--just ask George W.!

It's all about abusing the system and not utterly failing.

It would be safe to say Louisiana Tech, circa 1965, (guessing as I don't know what year Robertson graduated), was not as easy.

2. profile image59

How entertaining, you are aware that a Harvard MBA requires far more effort than failing divinity school - even with mediocre grades - which was not the case with GWB versus either the Tennessee Two-by-Four or Lurch.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

It's not about disagreeing with them or their credentials, it's about what is being said about homosexuals.

If it were a very common belief, then most of the world would believe it, but since it is a belief amongst Christians, then over 5 billion people in the world don't believe it, so it actually turns out to be a belief held by a minority of people in the world. And, of those who hold it, many of them do not believe homosexuality is equivalent to bestiality. Many of them actually accept homosexuals, unlike Robertson and his ilk.

Robertson has full support for freedom of speech and freedom of religion, just look at the passages that support his view:

Jude 7 "Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them, since they in the same way as these indulged in gross immorality and went after strange flesh, are exhibited as an example, in undergoing the punishment of eternal fire." Any sinner should always remember that the God who commands us to love our neighbour is the same God who will cast any and all unrepentant sinners into the "eternal fire".

Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals"

Tim 1:9-10 "realizing the fact that (civil) law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers"

Rom 1:26-27 "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

Again, Robertson and his minority of people who still hold those medieval beliefs are free to do so and free to air them. Their kind are vanishing, and it's this exact kind of exposure that causes many people to revisit and rethink their beliefs, and their numbers dwindle as a result. They do more harm to their religious convictions than anything else.

2. Robephiles profile image92
    Robephilesposted 10 years ago

When has a gay person ever expressed an opinion that straight people will burn in hell, are immoral or shouldn't get married?  Oh wait, never.

1. profile image59

Robertson never said anything about anyone burning in hell, in fact, quite the opposite.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I have to agree with gmwilliams, there are bigger issues to be concerned with, the man voiced his opinion which he is entitled too, whether you think its right or not. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. Why would you care what he thinks anyway? Does his opinion somehow effect your life? preventing you from doing/accomplishing anything?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Does  a celebrity opinion affect the opinions/actions of others?  And can those actions then affect my life?  Even to the point of preventing me from doing something?

I would have to say that yes, such a thing is not only possible but extremely common.  The words of Mormon VIP's (celebrities in their religion) had a massive effect on gays in California, after all.

1. Superkev profile image60
        Superkevposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep, right along with conservative black and Latino pastors.

4. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

The problem is that there are no good arguments against homosexuality, just like there weren't any against interracial marriage.  When people start trying to defend "traditional marriage" (a completely false view of history, mind you), their prejudice shows.

What are the arguments?  That it's unnatural?  That kids raised by homosexual couples turn out poorly?  That the "Bible" says it's wrong?  That it will lead to bestiality?  That it's a choice?

All of these arguments are ridiculously weak, so this raises the question of why people are so against it when they have no case.  I think it's nothing more than homosexuality is just different than what many are accustomed to.  Most people aren't intellectually aware enough to understand that different does not equate to immoral, so anytime something is substantially different than what they believe the world to be, it's immediately said to be immoral.

If anyone thinks they have a solid case against gay marriage though, I'd love to hear it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)