The Grey Area: A Society Headed Down a Perilous Path

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)
  1. VationSays profile image75
    VationSaysposted 8 years ago

When I was a child, things were clear and simple: There was Right and Wrong, Good and Bad. A clear line separated them. Growing up, there doesn’t seem to be much difference any more. Just a grey area where everyone is comfortable. What went wrong? I think as a society we no longer fight for ideals and what is good. We fight for “what we want” regardless of whether it’s right or wrong.

We don’t stick up for principles. No one makes tough choices. We don’t have leaders willing to stick to the right decision regardless of what the electorate thinks. We want to please everyone. We want shortcuts in life. We no longer want to achieve anything by the sweat of our brow and the strength of our backs and the courage in our hearts.

What will we pass down to future generations?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In the past things were *treated* as simple.  Women should never work, black people shouldn't be allowed to own land, if a man raped his wife and beat his children that was fine and legal.

We will pass down the need to strive had to recognize that all humans must be respected and allowed equal opportunities in life.

This is actually a lot simpler except that it requires we make the effort to understand how different people want different things.

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the examples you posted were reflections of the 'good ole days', I will prefer to live with the 'new days' and accept its challenges, Thank you

2. VationSays profile image75
        VationSaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Women fought for the right to be treated equally, the battle against institutional racism was long and arduous...but nevertheless, those before us fought for what is right. THAT should be emulated.

However, the issue is more on the principles and ideals people have in life. Today we fight to allow everybody to do whatever they want, simply because it's "what they want", not "what is right". Like a parent allowing a child to have anything he asks for. It's why marriages, families and societies are breaking down all around us.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True. Principles have mingled with dust. Ideals and morals have become victims of mockery. People laugh at you if you talk such nonsense. Everything has become opportunism.
      But, we should not pass this kind of attitude to future generations. We should make them aware of humanity, human values, ideals, honesty and boldness to face reality. These things should be developed in our children.

I couldn't agree more

3. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The love for money.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

- but what does money give you?
        power and all things material!

Its okay to want money but we need LOVE as well.

What is love? Acceptance, empathy, charity and CARING about people and what is
        1. Within them.
        2. In all things.
        3. Beyond all things.
        In my mind these equal the essence of "God."
          God: An all knowing, all seeing, never ending, loving force of goodness and positivity.

In My Mind

2. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Dang!  ~  You amaze me because you are so right.
        "The love of money is the root of all evil."
        What a heritage to pass down to generations to come... 
        The evil plot thickens with the Washington welfare connection.
        And, the rich keep getting richer and poor get poorer. 
        They will be eating out of their hand.

What's that saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." 
        Total control and conformity.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

For one thing ,   We are no longer a Godly people .  And , when I say Godly , I mean  moral , ethically  , righteous  in our   societal  behavior .   Simply put ,The 'golden rule ' is forgotten .   Todays  American culture is  way beyond   selfish , it has grown  totally towards ALL entitlements .     I want mine first and foremost   ,is the new   ' Ask not what your country can do for you ............." , Celebrity' ism is the new idol and all that goes with it . Power , money  ,fame ,  first in line and last to give  is the new credo .

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We didn't listen much to our parents and the younger generation isn't listening much to us.
      and so it goes.
      The wisdom of time and history becomes dimmer and dimmer with every generation.

That paints a really bleak future.....sad thing is that it's true

2. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

1+   The Mizzou // University of Missouri is a great example of that.  I have to wonder what those students are being taught in classes.  Are they even learning anything that will make them useful to their communities?  Aw, they all need love and acceptance and lots of hugs!   And, people thought the 60's were bad...lol.  It gets worse.   

Governor Jay Nixon, Democrat
      Senior U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat

3. Credence2 profile image78

We never were a 'Godly' people, Ahorseback, that is what people say to makes themselves feel better

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I said godly , I clarified ,  What you mean is we never had collective morals , ethics ,  compassion ?  You couldn't be  more wrong .  we did !     Mass media , social pages  , I phones .

I watch today  as families sit in  the same spot all on their own device   ,if you will , nothing  like the old days when   for no better reason we sat around the table chatting about nothing , but meaning everything !   We are in a moral decline - anyone that denies it is blinded by selfishness.

I will share this story with you, Ahorseback. Because anybody that lives in Vermont has gotta be a cool guy. Reading your post made me think a bit.

I lived long enough to have known my great aunt who died in 1993 at the grand old age of 94. During the early 1980's she and I spoke of history and the mores of earlier times.

She said that everybody was talking about moral decline during the 1920's. Bootlegging, Jazz, Hip flasks, bobbed hair, short skirts and road trips. President Harding, Teapot Dome and Washington awash with scandal, back then as she said, they stole 'thousands, not the millions they do today' The 'Great War' had ended and God was Dead. She read the papers and knew about Capone and his exploits in Chicago during the period. With women just getting the vote, she said the period was a liberating time for her and her contemporaries with  only 'the old timers' pining for 'the good old days'

Then came the 1960's and she was as confused ,saying the world was going to hell in a handbasket. She was saying that the coarse and unwashed were taking over the country. It was the Rock and Roll Music, hippies, free love, the amoral influence of television, she always said. People crazy over marijuana and LDS (I had to correct her always, she meant LSD). People engaged in foolishness such as moon landings and such. Coming from a world and time where the concept of social class was far more important, the natural order of things that was a given throughout her life was unravelling.

As a older person, the adjustments wrought by technological change are daunting, as I naturally appear more irrelevent to those that live and thrive in the current time. The preceding generation criticizes the next, such is the tapestry of life. It is a merry go round as timeless as the pyramids.

I lament the loss of many things that by today's standards were quaint and innocent, but realistically, the past and the good ole days were not always that good when one looks objectively at them without a bias toward the nostalgic.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
            Quilligrapherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How very, very true.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

Thanks for your comment

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)