jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)

If we're going to hurl the 'racist' accusation, let's define the term.

1. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

Since the media, the administration, protesters and proponents are going to continually call others racists, we need to establish a uniform definition that all can agree on.

In the current environment I believe the most accurate definition to be:

racist: anyone winning an argument with a liberal.

What's yours?

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So - there are no racists then? Well done. About time. lol

Dear me.

1. lovemychris profile image79
        lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

HA HA HA!!!!!

2. Jeff Berndt profile image92
      Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Heh, and here was me thinking you were trying to start a meaningful dialogue, so I clicked on your thread. Fool me once, shame on me, I guess. smile

Bu in the interest of salvaging something meaningful from this post that seems both to be baiting liberals and also to be making light of racism, let me suggest the following.

When someone says something that betrays prejudice against a given group, do not accuse the speaker of being a racist (or a sexist, or whatever). This never ends well. The speaker will inevitably get all defensive, and counter-accuse you of being thin-skinned or of misunderstanding him, or of trying to derail the argument by calling him a racist. No doubt the speaker's friends will defend him. ("I've known him for years and he's no racist.") And then the offended party will end up looking like a jerk, even if the original writer or speaker actually made a blatantly racist remark.

No, you don't want to talk about what the person is, because there's no good way to tell what a person is. Plus, nobody will ever say, "Yeah, I guess I am a racist, after all," because nobody wants to see themselves as a bad person, and pretty much everyone agrees that racism is a characteristic of bad people.

The discussion you want to have is a discussion about what the person said. Do not say, "You're a racist." That's name calling and will certainly degenerate. What you should say is, "That was a racist remark."

If you focus on the remark, you at least stand a chance of helping that person (who may or may not be a racist, we don't care) to understand why what they said is a racist-sounding statement, why it hurts people*, and really, why it reflects badly on them, and makes them look like a racist, whether they are or not.

I didn't think of this on my own. Check out Jay Smooth's vid.

*And really, when people say racist things, it hurts other people. (Or perhaps it would be more apt to say it hurts Other people.) And nobody wants to go around saying hurtful things, do they?

Oh yes...they do!
        They do it DELIBERATELY!
        They DO make fun of racism as if it's nothing....
        Poor Clowns.

History of this country is REPLETE with racism. For ANY people of color, or "lower" ethnic background for that matter. That is why I said that anyone who acknowledges white priveledge is called a racist themselves...
        As in Glenn Beck calling Obama a racist.

and the most agregious dis-avowing of racism is Beck's tea-party rally on MLK day.

Here's a guy who tries to smear the first black president in our history by saying he has a deep-seated hatred of white people, USING the memory of a black man to promote his party.......MANY of whom show up at rallies with racist signs!!!

It's cynical at it's core. And mean-spirited as well as making a joke of the civil rights movement.

When's the last time a tea-party patriot was hung from a tree?
        Oh, never happened? So why compare yourselves to the black struggle in this country?

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good for you!  By your definition you are not, and never will be a racist.

Have a Fresca. smile

I can't say that Ron, but I CAN say that these people prey on the term, waiting for the chance to use it to their advantage.

They are the worst kind of opportunists and "I hope they fail miserably." (thanks for the terminology Russsshhhhhhhhhhh.)

4. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL Love it!

2. lovemychris profile image79
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

Anyone who acknowledges white priviledge.

3. Daniel Carter profile image89
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

One who drives cars at very high speeds attempting to annihilate other drivers.
    Racists are good at that. So they think.

4. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

Racism is the one sentiment that lies just under the surface and flares up when no one else is around and one is safe from accusation by third party

Except this Beck character is using it outright. He called the president a racist.....that's not under the surface, it's out there in the open.

And isn't it just so ironic?

The one time a president is called a racist is when he's black!

Talk about Orwellian Double Speak.....

It's a race war he wants if you aks me. All of them. They want a war with blacks, muslims, poor people...anyone they can. Thars' money in them thar hills.
      Fifty Cent:
      "I'm laughing straight to the bank with this. Ha ha ha ha ha ha."

Guess ole Nugent canceled? Too bad. He went so far as to tell the president to put a gun to his mouth and pull the trigger.
      Now that's tea-baggery at it's finest!!!

5. Flightkeeper profile image80
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

Yeah hurling the "racist" accusation isn't the only thing that the libtards do.  Just as common is their accusation that you only care about money lol

Yeah, meanwhile the libtards are defending Obama because he's "creating and saving" jobs and bailing out all these industries with the future generation's money.

6. hank22077 profile image60
    hank22077posted 6 years ago

Simply put:
    Racism: hating for senseless reason; ie. color, race, creed, nationalism, things you're born with, etc.
    Prejudice: hating for sensible reason; ie. character, belief, morals, perhaps religion, things you basically choose, as a sensible adult, etc.