Outlawing Abortion 101

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

By Alex Seitz-Wald on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:10 am

"Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) told Fox News host Mike Huckabee this weekend that he would support an amendment to his state’s constitution to define life as beginning at conception, which would outlaw abortion and potentially many forms of contraception as well. Noting that the state supreme court forced the inclusion of abortion coverage in Romney’s universal health care law, the GOP presidential front-runner said the only way to undo the decision would be a constitutional amendment. Asked if he would support such a move, Romney replied, “absolutely”:

He said he was pro-choice to get elected gvr. of Mass. Now he wants to take us back to the Dark Ages for women...he really is a vicious character...don't let him fool you. He wants to win at ANY cost.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Romney is prostituting himself, groveling to the Tea Tards and Evangelicals.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like that term tea tards, I've never heard that before. lol

1. American View profile image61
          American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"tards" I guess some never learn, just want to be hateful, no reguards to those with family who may have an infliction. Hope it was a good laugh

2. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just as he prostituted himself to women, to get elected here.

He is the original flip-flopper...Perry got that one right.

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amendments are suppose to promote it's citizens rights, not tell us how to live our lives like the 18th Amendment (brillient idea from the religious and right wing and we all saw how that went down) did 90 years ago.

3. American View profile image61

Face it. Saying anything to get elected is something they are all guilty of on both sides of the aisle

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

He is a jacka$$. He has destroyed Mass and will destroy the rest of America, if elected to a more powerful office.

What a f***ing joke of a politician.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Massachusetts is doing pretty well.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, I would disagree considering I live here.

2. American View profile image61

Really. Ask LMC how well Mass is doing

MUCH better, since Romney's gone.

"No new taxes"......but HUGE new fees. Fines. Cost of Living.
          Pile o malarkey--to quote an Irish saying.

3. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

Romney is just barking the same message that the rest of the republicans are pushing. They are the ones that started the whole return to family values BS. Abortion has always been a republican issue, because they have nothing else to bring to the American people that interests them. They are basically fear mongers, playing to the minds of their huge base of Church going followers. Laws against abortion, laws against gays, and their constant pandering to the church. Like Bushes idea of having the church take over social programs, which would pretty much kill planned parenthood, and programs like it. Even though the church would hardly have enough funds to take on such a huge task. Even though they seem to have plenty of money to hold huge rallies to fight anything they don't like. And, have their money thumbs up the republicans asses.

So, abortion is just the tip of the iceberg. I would be all right with a ban on it, provided that the republicans back it up, with a way to care for all the unwanted children that would result from it. making it easier for families who can't have children to adopt an AMERICAN child. Maybe going back to the days of the children's home, only better, and make it a place where the kids don't feel like they are just abandoned. As far as I know, like the church, the republican's could care less what happens to all the unwanted children that will result from an abortion ban. Just like they don't care about anyone esle, other than the very rich.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

He can support whatever he wishes. He might even get it passed.  Until the first case hits the state supreme court... which would be about two weeks after the bill is signed.

Yes, he can. Just to show the public how ignorant he is. That's his choice.
      Not, if I have any say in the manner, considering I am a citizen in this damn state.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile Good for you.

The point being though, that it is just grandstanding and every attorney and law maker in the world knows it.  The public is gullible though and believes he is their hero.  Then when the law gets overturned (as they know it will) then they can do the "I tried but I was blocked" passing the buck thing. Both republicans and democrats do it.

But, as the statement(OP) says, it would require a Constitution Amendment, beforehand. If he gets the Amendment, then the Law wouldn't be challenged.

The last thing we need is an idiot like him making changes to the State's Constitution, just to make his pathetic dream a reality, in reality.

Look at him! People are eating it up!

"Why, I'm a business man...I know what to do."

....he's a vulture. He knows how to destroy and eat the carcass.

blahhh! Now I'm in a bad mood. "breathe...breathe"......hahaha

2. lovemychris profile image76

I have no faith in tha Msjc...and even less in the Supreme one.
      If a Repub gets elected, and chooses the next Robed One.....we can say goodbye to abortion.
      Even with the election of Bush, we knew...and look: it is near impossible to get an abortion in almost all of America.

Forget the war on terror---these people are waging a war on women!

5. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

If this law came into effect in this state, as an example what happens to a 13 year old girl whom is raped and falls pregnant to the perpetrator?

1. brimancandy profile image78
      brimancandyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it was Michelle Bachman who said, if the mother did not want the child then the individual state would decide what to do with it through child services, or try to make an attempt to counsel the mother while not aborting the child. This would be done on a state by state level, and should not be a federal issue...in other words push the issue down the road, but act like you support the right to the childs life...but don't quote me.

There have also been vocal anti abortion people who have been crying foul about the whole rape = abortion issue. saying that not every woman who is going to be raped is going to end up pregnant. And, the number of women who have abortions just because they don't want a child, but want to have constant sex without protection greatly out numbers women who are raped who end up pregnant...and they resent the issue, and don't care to discuss it. Because they are right on every issue, and everyone who opposes their view is wrong no matter what it involves.

I think in some cases there are women out there who should be forced NOT to have children, like the Octomom who had how many? and wanted to have more even though she could not afford to care for them, until people started giving her money, and made her rich? And, women who collect children and husbands for the sole purpose of collecting child support and allimony checks...or 9 kids on welfare?

I do believe that an abortion should be a last resort. Not,  just hey I got pregnant again need to get to the clinic ASAP!! If you don't want to have kids, use every step to make sure that you don't get pregnant in the first place. The sad part is, the anti abortion people are also against teaching women that they need to be more in control of their bodies, some even oppose the use of contraception. Which is really stupid!!

But the long view of the political wind bags, is that will do whatever it takes to please their base. And, as one moron leaves with a set of reasonable ideas, another moron enters to blow those ideas out of the water. Probably on reason why people in the US are so messed up and in therapy.

Noty going to end any time soon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)