Use long term criminals for war instead of our good men

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image58
    Inquiringmind2012posted 12 years ago

Do you think that The United States should use long term criminals for war, instead of using our good men?  This would clear out our jails, save tax payers money and maybe in some sick way rehabilitate some of the criminals.  It may scare them into good behavior.  Put the criminals on the front lines.  Some would survive and some would not, this is a fact.  Some may become a part of a special force that would benefit the government.  I am not quite sure, but an elderly man said they had already done this a long time ago, does anyone have information about this?  If so, what are your views?  Do you think that it is a good idea?

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So your goal is to replace motivated, free men trained in the ways of combat and discipline with a respect for authority as well as the proven intellect to execute their assigned duties with those who demonstrate a consistent inability to follow commands, hold to discipline, learn genuinely complex tasks and fight in an organized and cohesive unit?

You would replace the finest fighting men in the world with those who cannot function in a civil society.  That is such a good idea.

As for having done it in the past - that would be in the movie "The Dirty Dozen."

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's bloody crazy, for the reasons ucv mentioned and others.

3. profile image0
      Old Empresarioposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the convicts would simply mutiny if they were serving against their will. I would think that if anyone supportive of something like this gave it 5 minutes' thought and started writing down the plan on how to make it work, they would get about half a paragraph in before seeing its futility. I like the Congress idea better--just like the old Roman republic. Send the senators to lead the armies and let those people wealthy enough to afford their own tanks and aircraft serve in the rank and file.

2. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 12 years ago

Why not sending the good congress?

1. profile image58
      Inquiringmind2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you suggest that I send this ti congress? I didn't understand your post.

2. Eric Newland profile image60
      Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He already said criminals. Let's not be redundant.

*rim shot* big_smile

3. maxoxam41 profile image64

Why not sending the congress fighting those wars since they give their agreement?

4. maxoxam41 profile image64

It's exactly what I meant!

5. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

I wonder if arming hardened criminals with guns and tanks is a great idea. I don't have a problem with sending in bankers and politicians though.

6. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

So we are to expect people who have forsaken American civil society to be willing to die for it? Something doesn't add up.

One of the benefits of an all-volunteer military is that they want to be there, they aren't being forced to do something.

And anyway, how in hell would you control the movements and activities of, say, 500 ARMED men in an isolated battlefield, with only a handful of senior officers? Mutinies, revolts and riots would break out. These guys would start their own little militias and armed gangs inside the army.

A breakdown of the chain of command doesn't begin to describe the chaos. You would have roving bands terrorizing foreign populations extracting food, money and sex from them, all under the banner of America.

The whole thing has disaster written all over it.

7. secularist10 profile image60
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

"Some would survive and some would not, this is a fact."

Correction: most would run away, most of the rest would get killed, and some would start gangs and organized crime rings. That is a fact. LOL!

1. profile image58

No training!   Just dump them in another country and leave them there.
      Instead of capital punishment, let it be foreign punishment.

1. secularist10 profile image60
        secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Uh huh. Sounds reasonable. lol...

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69
        Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What country did you have in mind, Canada, Norway, Africa? What sort of impact do you think that would have?

What country deserves to have the dregs of American society dumped on them? As well as being a total *uckwit are you xenophobic as well?

1. profile image58

There is no need for you to become aggressive in your comments.  We all know that this would never happen.  The initial post was just an inquiry.  It's not personal and you should not be personal either.  If you read further in the other posts you would see that clearly the government has done this before.....have a good day!

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69

I wasn’t being aggressive, just stating the obvious mate.

Incidentally you never answered my questions.

Which countries would you dump the felons on?

Are you xenophobic?
            (if you are unsure of the meaning of xenophobic just  Google it)

Maybe just pick an isolated little island where swimming away would freeze them to the bone or the currents would sweep them further out to sea.  What would the Scottish government take for the Isle of Skye - I hear that is pretty rough this time of year.  How about one of the Hebrides pr Orkneys? Ward Hill would be perfect.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69

lol, I wonder how those who had been locked away for years would take to men wearing skirts. lol

With a sufficient amount of the fine beverages available in Scotland I would suppose the allure would be irresistible.

8. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Come on, guys, you know the OP has to be like twelve years old.

I remember asking similar qustions when I was that age....

1. secularist10 profile image60
      secularist10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'd be surprised...

9. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

No, that would be a foolish idea.

End the wars.

1. profile image58

Ending wars, is a good idea.   But is very unlikely.  An unrealistic thought in today's society.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul: "We just marched in, we can just march out."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul382.html

1. mom101 profile image60
          mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Evan,

why is it that a lot of people have a problem with "simple".

Simple is the solution to many problems, but simple for most people dumbfounds several.

People usually trust their common sense, but when someone who flashes a shiny Nobel Prize or a bunch of "I murdered people" medals in their face, it's hard to just say "No, you're an idiot"

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61

Simple answers for simple minds.
          Paul 2012

Iran hasn't invaded another country in 100+years (without provocation); they aren't building nukes; they thanked us for helping their fisherman...

Our government has spent well over $2 trillion overseas over the past few years; we blow $700 billion each year on our military*;

*(If we balanced the budget, we could pay off our debt in only 40 years if we halved our military spending)

Sometimes simplicity is the answer: "Quit bombing people, balance our budget, and follow the constitution".

Did the Iranians seize the American Embassy?

When Tel Aviv is a smoking nuclear crater will you and the other Paulniacs still say Iran is not building nukes?

Helping men in distress at sea is what the United States Navy - it is what all decent navies - does.  There is a common enemy at sea - the sea herself.

There is a reasoned argument to be made regarding our protecting those nations prosperous enough to provide for their own defense.

There is an equally reasoned argument to be made regarding the necessity of a global naval military presence (see Iranian fisher men versus Pirates)

2. mom101 profile image60
            mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simple minds?

A childs mind is one of  the most brilliant of minds. How so? Theirs havent been infiltrated by so much logic.

Simple aint bad.

10. Paul Wingert profile image59
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

Using prisoners as soldiers during war time has been a practice used since ancient times. We, the US, gave lower level prisoners options to serve in the miltary rather than jail time up til 1982. We also recriuited prisoners  during WW2 in exchange for early release when the war ended. Today, the US military is shrinking dramatically in manpower and getting very picky on who they enlist. This is because we are getting more high tech in the way we wage war. A drone can take out an enemy more efficiently and cheaply compaired to sending in a combat unit.

1. profile image58

Thank you for answering.  It makes sense that technology is used.  Do you think that someday these drones will replace humans in combat?

Once Skynet comes on line.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image61

A drone can also fantasize about how military action should take place and parrot the President.  Drones are tools not men.  The only way to accomplish many missions is to put men in harms way - this will not change.

11. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Hmmmmmmm.......let me think about this for one minute.  Long term criminals are usually amoral and not patriotic.   They are only concerned about the bottom line.   They also do not follow orders well........What else?  they also believe that they have nothing to lose which means they will take as many of their compatriots with them as possible without considering the consequences therein.   Also, when the situation escalate, they will either desert or go over to the enemy.......Such a logical premise.  Not!!!

12. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

Once upon a time, I understand that judges had the option to sentence a guy to prison, or, if they thought he could be rehabilitated, let him volunteer to join the military instead.

I don't know how well this worked, or even if this is a real thing.

Does anyone know?

I had a friend, unfortunately he killed himself years ago, who would tell the story that he got in a sufficient amount of youthful trouble that he was indeed offered the option - join the Marines or go to jail.  His years in the Marine Corps were his proudest memories.

2. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know Jeff Berndt

it is real.

I've spoken with maybe one or two and a sergeant that I knew got out kllled his wife and was given the option to go back to Vietnam and he chose his old unit which was where I was.

13. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I met a few, it was a long ago. They were busted for drugs and sentenced to work as undercover narcs in another part of the country. Now that is insidious.

14. knolyourself profile image60

"Use long term criminals for war instead of our good men" They already do. It's called politicans,
    pentagon, military industrial complex, international corporations and bankers.,

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lunar Mining Colonists. Just might cut the crime rate. After that...Mars!

15. knolyourself profile image60

O moon o moon
    You are so sweet
    How good you are looking
    And how good your light!

Capitalists on the moon with neon advertising.

16. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 12 years ago

I remember this being mentioned years ago but I don't know if it was ever tried for here was some of the reasons I heared it wouldn't work.

* Don't expect them to follow orders.

* They can't be trusted so they'll wind up siding with the enemy.

* They would give away military locations.

* They would likely would try and escape every chance they got.

Personally I'm not sure about murder crimminals but I would consider giving other prisoners a chance to get out jail if they prove themselves to be of service to the military.

1. profile image58

Your post makes sense.  They would most likely do that! 
      If some prisoners can be reverted into creating a good life, and deviate away from the past behaviors that got them into trouble in the first place, it could benefit the government.

17. thebigbagblog profile image60
    thebigbagblogposted 12 years ago

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has been reviewing Iran for years (recently last year) and have been responsible for assuring the Iran has not deviated from its civilian nuclear program in accordance to the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT).

Iran has been accused of enriching Uranium, but NEVER accused of having its by-product PLUTONIUM (which IS used in nukes). Currently, Iran has programs where Uranium is enriched to 3% Uranium 235 (civilian grade) for their Medical Isotope Reactor in Tehran. Iran's Uranium enrichment is simply no where near weapons grade (+90% 235) and they are years behind in being able to do so. Beyond that, there has to be parts machined, they need a delivery vehicle for the nuke, and a WAR HEAD... Iran simply doesn't have any of these items or an ability to produce them.

Iran stopped pursuing a weapons grade nuclear program long ago (2003)...Several US agencies (including the C.I.A) concluded (and stand by their assessment) that Iran is NOT starting up its weapons grade program. The hype about such a program is simply that...hype.

What we were originally worried about is the idea that "practice makes perfect". In other words, if Iran keeps on enriching Uranium (the hardest part of building a weapon), then what's to stop them from perusing a weapons program? Seems like a reasonable argument, but doesn't change the fact that Iran hasn't started such a program has followed the NPT and adhered to IAEA guidelines.

Does this make Ahmadinejad an innocent fuzzy President without an evil bone in his body? NO! But, the fact that he isn't a "teddy bear" doesn't make his nuclear weapons program any less imaginary. If anything, its more likely that IF Iran wanted nukes any time soon, she is going to have to purchase them!

18. thebigbagblog profile image60
    thebigbagblogposted 12 years ago

I need to follow my own advice and stay on topic!!

19. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

Taking men convicted of crimes worthy of long sentences and putting them on the front line of a war is just asking for war crimes to be committed. Not a good idea, IMHO.

If you want to clean out the prisons, lobby for the appeals process to be shortened and for capital punishment sentences to be carried out. You'd clean out the prisons as well as have a deterrent. Again, JMHO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)