Dishonesty Within the Ranks of Christians

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 134 discussions (2055 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 9 years ago

I've been supportive of Christians for the most part. Probably because of the respect I hold for the ministry of Jesus and the goodness I believe is the heart of the universe.

I've lost the ability to support you guys. The lies and innuendo, the games many play circumventing the truth, the total lack of regard most show toward their fellow man in order to prop up their egos. The gyrations around verses in order to circumvent the spirit of the intent.

I'm done finding reason to attempt to find reason in your arguments. You've allowed the fringe to define you to those outside the faith too long for me to continue to give the religion the benefit of the doubt.

It's really very sad that these have become the face of Christianity.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, dogmas must be up-rooted.
      - but, they don't want any uprooting. Keep those weeds in place. Hide the beautiful flowers growing right beneath them.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

On the surface it seems like a good idea, but when you dig in you find a mountain of hypocrisy, delusions and lies.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes. The teachings of Jesus are a good idea. It's simply the problem with everyone agreeing to that; but not wanting to follow them.

1. bBerean profile image59
          bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify:
          *As Emile interprets them.

1. profile image0

We all have to interpret them don't we. I mean you don't think to many people will gouge out our eyes because we notice pretty women do you? I don't see very many Christians offering the other cheek when slapped in the face.

2. JMcFarland profile image68
            JMcFarlandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As opposed to how you interpret them? Or as a Catholic or a Lutheran or a Calvanist or a unitarian interprets them?

Correct.  Since none of those groups would agree with her statement that they are going against Jesus teachings, it required clarification.

1. JMcFarland profile image68

I disagree.   I've seen lots of Christians speak out against actions both past and present that have been carried out in the name of Jesus or the church,  Insisting that those actions go against his teachings and condemning them as not indicative of how Christians should behave.   If you haven't seen it,  you aren't paying attention.

Whose interpretation should we follow,  and why?   Why would an all knowing,  all powerful good be so inept at communication that his written word has to be translated and interpreted in the first place?   Surely he could fax down copies from heaven that are clear and easily understood in every language on earth so that there are not 40,000 denominations and schisms in the first place.

Not necessary, that is what the Holy Spirit is for.  You don't believe in it, so nothing to talk about.  You will point out people who do rely on spirituality have different interpretations too, which is what deceiving spirits are all about.  Next you'll want to know how I know mine is correct, but it is silly to discuss how to apply spiritual discernment with someone who considers the premise false.

1. William Avitt profile image61
                    William Avittposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This right here is the problem with fundamentalist Christians.  "You aren't a believer, so why should I try to explain anything to you?"  Well, because that's how we have a dialogue.  Apparently it doesn't bother you that people on this thread are basically reaching out saying "Please, make me believe all Christians aren't like this."  I'm seeing a lot of people here that really, really want to be tolerant of something they don't fully understand, and you're making it difficult for them.  It saddens my heart, honestly. 

To everyone else here, I am a believer.  I was saved when I was 16 and I am now 34.  I love God and I am always willing to speak about him with someone else.  That said, I fight a crusade against fundamentalist Christians almost ever day.  Those who are judgmental and just downright mean to people who don't fit into their small, closed-minded little box of what Christians should be and it is just really sad.  Basically what I am trying to say is, chin up.  Judge individual believers by their actions and don't judge all of us by those who seem to have never gotten the "Love your neighbor as yourself" memo.  Cheers!

2. profile image0
                  jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Come on, JMc, Skype was set up originally so we could commune with the Lord, via Silicon Valley.  But then genetal modification got in the way and it was regarded as sin.... so broken communication instead.
                  Must get a new mother board.

I thought it was time for a replacement chip myself

2. Sed-me profile image79
              Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good morning JM, how are you? It's nice to see you again. My tooth hurts, I'm starting a new job Mon. I am finding Grey's Anatomy incredibly tedious after season 4. What's the weather like where you are? smile

Sunny and warm above 80 degrees.   Sorry about your tooth.   Been there.   Done that.

1. Sed-me profile image79

Been where? Tooth or Grey's Anatomy?

Do you find life to be overwhelming at times? If I were to focus on all my problems right now, I think I might be a bit overwhelmed. How do you deal with life when you're knee deep in it?

(It's raining here right now... lol... seems somehow appropriate.)

1. profile image0

Beth, you seem to be in a bad place. Keep doing the things that need to be done, keep your head on those tasks and stay in the present, not the past or the future.

2. profile image0
                    Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good luck with the tooth from me too. smile I'm no stranger to the dental chair.

About life being overwhelming...everyone I know and love, family and friends, is majorly struggling. We are holding on to each other for dear life. Grab on. smile

3. JMcFarland profile image68

Tooth and Greys anatomy.   Both.   I feel your pain.

It's easy to get overwhelmed being the most senior person in your position,  working full time,  going to school full time and making time for your hobbies,  your friends and your family.   I just have to focus on one day (sometimes one moment) at a time and go from there.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image63
                LoisRyan13903posted 9 years agoin reply to this

"My tooth hurts, "

Try a litlle warm water and salt and rinse near the tooth.  Works for me

3. mishpat profile image60
              mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JMc, on the surface one has to agree.  But when we look beneath the label, they are just men (and women).  Some leaders with an agenda.  Some followers with, well not much going for them.  On either side of the Cross, man has the ability to reason.  Some do and some don't.

1. Righteous Atheist profile image57
                Righteous Atheistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Got to admit it is funny to hear the words "reason" and "cross" in the same sentence. lol lol

3. profile image0

Love God., Love your neighbor as yourself. How can one misinterpret that?

By not understanding Who said it, why He came, or what He did.  Happens much more often than not.

1. profile image0

How many people do you know that don't know and understand that story? You don't have to believe it to understand it.

Emile's protest has traditionally been against any holding that belief, even when it's not being actively preached.

1. profile image0

I will admit that anyone who holds that belief does not, in my opinion, know any deity. So, it stands to reason that I would find claims of miraculous interventions for people holding that belief highly suspect. Granted, miraculous interventions are suspicious anyway. But, I don't doubt there are truly good people in the world and I don't doubt that there are people who deserve miraculous interventions. I don't consider evangelicals of falling into the first category. And, most of their claims don't represent someone who appears to be truly in need.

2. profile image0

Seriously? Maybe it should read, love your neighbor as yourself after you've weighed measured and ensured you, personally, don't find them lacking. That would clarify. Yes?

Nope, not at all.  If those words came from God, coming to die for your sins, that you might be saved from hell, loving your neighbor would include conveying that.  Not as simple as coming from your idea of Jesus.   Much more to it than that, but at least it illustrates the point.  For the believer to withhold that little tidbit is neither loving nor honest.

1. profile image0

Unfortunately you can't be sure you are right. Therefore your preaching may put someone one the wrong path.

I don't think it's difficult to tell if a particular version of God is as described by looking at the words in the Holy book. Does the description make sense. The question is does the description of the God of the bible make sense?

Some of those OT laws make no sense other than to make a group of men powerful.

Does it make sense that the god that these Hebrews were waiting for to came back and fulfill the prophesies came back and they didn't believe him?

2. Chris Neal profile image79
                  Chris Nealposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, that would distort. It's exactly that kind of thinking that Jesus was preaching against.

Still, despite the fact that, in a way, this is saying to those who want to beat the Christians down "Okay, you win," right now I can't think of a better reason or time to abandon the forums. With few exceptions they are usually ya-ya sessions (at least the religious ones,) and if one of the people who was at least trying to be open and fair-minded has decided that the broad brush is the way to go, then really, what more is there to say?

1. profile image0

I'm so glad you agree on the loving your neighbor thing. And, I hope you aren't serious about that being a good reason to throw the towel in. You do a pretty good job of defending your beliefs. I think it serves a purpose. I don't agree with them, as you know, but you seem articulate enough to help people understand what they are and why you have them. Which is rare here.

2. Cat333 profile image59
                    Cat333posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back, Chris. I think your presence was missed and will be missed if you decide to move on from the forums. But the Spirit leads and we follow... The twisting of words is prevalent here, and I think several of us are beginning to see how futile our efforts are in this type of environment.

2. jlpark profile image79
              jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Easy to misinterpret that!

Don't you know it's "Love thy neighbour as yourself.....unless of course you don't agree with them, their lifestyle, the way they raise their children, their religion or lack of, their skin colour,....."

At least that's how I've seen it interpreted...

EDIT....to clarify - interpreted by some.  I do not group all Christians into one group....that would be foolish...(and I wonder if some Christians (not here) could do with that reminder??? )

3. Sed-me profile image79

God felt the same way. He'd had enough of man's sin.
      (Bear with me for one moment, please.)
      He told Abraham He was going to destroy the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.
      Abraham said "Lord if there are 50 good men... will you spare the cities?"
      As Abraham begins thinking of the evil in this town... and the chances of finding that many good men... he begins to humbly lower the number.
      "What about 10 men, Lord?" He finally says.
      The Lord agrees. If God can find 10 good men, He will spare the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

God sends two angels to search the cities for 10 good men. Turns out the whole town tries to rape the angels. God brings down fire and brimstone... there were not 10 good men to be found. There were two men and two young women saved from the wrath of God. That's it. Even Abraham's wife... wiped out b/c she refused to obey.

Emile, you are special to me. I believe it is b/c God has put you on my heart. But with all due respect, you cannot judge an entire city unless you have spent time with each and everyone that dwells within that city. Were you God, you could judge righteously if every man were good or bad. You could see past the misunderstanding and assumption in our daily discussions, to the heart... but until you have that ability... keep your heart and your mind opened or you may write off some very special relationships that might just be a major joy in your life. I care very much for you and hope you will not write me off so quickly.

1. profile image0

I doubt there is a person alive who is not aware of the Sodom and Gomorrah story. But, what in the OP gives you the impression that I am judging people with fire and brimstone? Who is claiming to be God? I'm judging the religion and what is allowed to pass for 'Christian' behavior. Obviously these behaviors are acceptable to those within the faith. I see no one within the faith challenging them. I realize that Christians are supposed to attempt to play nicely with Christians however, if you follow that and ignore unsociable behavior patterns which are passed off as God's will then one can only assume that any who do not challenge them agree with them.

I find many of these behavior patterns rather abhorrent so I can only find the faith so also. I could not imagine having a 'special relationship' with the hypocrisy involved in this religion.

Please note that this is not meant to be a judgment of you. Each person has to do what they believe to be right. I am not advocating anyone change their behavior patterns. I am simply venting about the fact that I am not happy about the conclusions I have been forced to assume.

My point was that even God came to the point where He had had enough. The story of Noah comes to mind as well, but I chose the Abraham story to point out how few men Abe could actually find... he couldn't even meet the quota.

I need to have a tooth pulled. Root canal failed... twice. Getting pretty edgy atm. Would hate to have you judge the whole of  Believerdom based on my incredibly irritable mood. Will write back later.
          Keep in mind... this is an internet forum, with a few vocal believers that maybe you don't like. Hardly worth deciding over the whole of beef from eating a Big Mac.

Argh! Pain. Going. smile

Hope all goes well with the tooth. 

Before worrying too much about the OP, consider that sticking with the gospel is what offends her.  If you believe people need Jesus to save them from hell you are worse than a Nazi prison guard manning the ovens at Auschwitz, in her book.  How much compromise is okay?

I find myself utterly bewildered. I feel like I am trying to connect dots, only to find out that the dots are made of smoke. No one is making sense to me. I don't understand Emile's reaction. She seems so unlike herself... I don't understand Cat, or CG or anyone... I understand RA... He says "... and that's why your religion causes so many conflicts." and all of a sudden I am in Kansas again. But nothing else is making sense to me. It all seems like utter nonsense and I am missing something. Seems to me like the whole thing should have been dropped a thousand words ago and now... there are body parts every where. Why don't we all just stop feeding the monster and say "Good morning, how are you?" There are a lot more important things to talk about.

1. profile image0

Perhaps it's a sign you are have been giving these things thought and not simply agreeing because some people are fellow Christians. Just something to keep in mind, not everyone here is okay or stable. I think you are as you've been consistent, but some of the others… are not worth my time. bBerean is okay as well, just mostly wrong.  wink

Thanks, I think.  Yay for consistency and conviction at least?  I'll take that.  wink

2. bBerean profile image59

She is being consistent, except with you.  Now she is pulling back in line there too.  The conversation about hell and Auschwitz had to be over a year ago, perhaps much longer.

Like I said, Im utterly confused.
                  In all truth, I believe Cat should have let this go pages ago and not b/c she wasn't in the right, but b/c she is called to defend her faith, not herself. I am disappointed that CG and Sir Dent fanned the flames that kept a ridiculous argument going... but what confuses me most right now is that I would be surprised at you.

We are SUPPOSED to disagree with them on these matters. We do not share the same faith. We do not share our beliefs or the same spirit... when it comes to doctrine and faith, we have NOTHING in common. So why are we picking up stones?

It's your kindness that leads us to repentance oh Lord. Knowing that you love us, no matter what we do... makes us want to love you too....

Remember that song/verse? I am 100% on board with speaking the truth, but what happened to loving them? I don't know... I don't know what's going on. Maybe I missed something. Sorry to all involved, believer and non believer alike. I have to go to a parent/teacher conf. Take care, all of you!

Hmmm.  Now I'm confused.  "That I would be surprised at you"?  I didn't partake in the unusual conversation you reference above.  I skimmed it as it transpired.  I have been consistent from day one, (even Rad sees it), so not sure how I would surprise you. 

If this is also directed at me I really don't get where your coming from.  Any comments I made regarding the OP are spot on and references made are documentable.  It's not throwing stones to clarify, so I am not sure what you are taking issue with.  Please specify the errors you perceive that I have made so we can discuss them.  I will be ready with apologies in hand for anyone to whom they are due, should the protest prove valid.  I look forward to hearing from you after the tooth is resolved.  Hope all goes well.  (Want to put a winky here but know you've seen alot of them lately).

2. profile image0

I'm reluctant to bring this up again as I don't want to highjack this thread, but she brought erroneous information to the table while attempting to convince us that she is a prophet, but only that she forgot to tell us the event would happen before she said it would. The erroneous information was disturbing to say the least. I don't particularly like being told I should get sexual harassment help from someone who give the entire world her bra size for no good reason other than to tell us how much attention she gets.

Hockey has started up again, good game the other day between the leafs and tabs. Tonight a great game, the leafs and pens. Ya baby.

3. profile image0
                    SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the shout out!!!!  Now for something completely different.

Mildred, the church gossip and self-appointed arbiter of the church's morals, kept sticking her nose in the other members' private lives. Church members were unappreciative of her activities, but feared her enough to maintain their silence.

She made a mistake, however, when she accused George, a new member, of being an alcoholic after she saw his pickup truck parked in front of the town's only bar one afternoon.

She commented to George and others that everyone seeing it there would know what he was doing.

George, a man of few words, stared at her for a moment and just walked away. He didn't explain, defend, or deny; he said nothing.

Later that evening, George quietly parked his pickup in front of Mildred's house... and left it there all night!

4. Cgenaea profile image59
                    Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

sad I HATE the dentist...
                    I too hate that you consider my and Sir Dent to be fanning flames on that silly issue.
                    You missed the bulk of conversation so I do understand. However, the spirit of the Lord is also furious at foolery. And he calls a lie where he sees it.
                    I feel that the thoughts expressed by Cat333 was unfairly represented when she was interpreted as only bragging about her bra size. It was MEAN. And it was ridiculously taunting. She was accused of being a drama queen who shouldn't have been hired in the first place, at her job if Emile were the judge.
                    It was all so malicious that the spirit within me was quickened to advocate.
                    Cat told of victory over her accusers and gave the glory to God. Emile and Rad pounced hard and spoke untruth after untruth about her intent as well as her actions.
                    I would do the same for you, as well as Emile. smile
                    Right is right. And wrong is simply wrong.
                    The wrong was called out and confronted. Jesus did that well.
                    Unfortunately, we cannot have peace in this valley. Yea and nay will forever disagree. Jesus didn't talk long to unbelievers. But for me to avoid it, I'd have to close my account. It is what it is. I cannot complain. But stand FIRMLY, I will.
                    Wrong will not be petted by my hand.

3. profile image0

Goodness. I ran my mouth off before I thought better of it. I feel like I must really like the taste of my shoes.

Good morning. smile

Good morning!

And good bye. smile

4. profile image0
                jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree Beth.   Lots to get on with in this world.   And I should learn to avoid the temptation of sitting down at the computer so often.
                I will be watching with my smart phone for the next couple of days.   Take care of yourself.

Reducto ad Hitlerum?  Is that what your arguments have been reduced to?   Godwin's law?   That's absurd.

3. profile image0

bBerean, to be fair, it is not sticking to the gospel that Emile finds offensive. It is the willingness of some Christians to stand by each other no matter how disagreeable the other's behavior might be - just because they are both Christians. To, in some cases, twist, manipulate, and lie about the words of others because they happen to disagree with them. I love my friends and family desperately, but I won't lie for them and I'll call them out if they lie to others. It is not only believers here who twist and manipulate but there is an obvious willingness to back each other when called on it that can be frustrating.

For the most part, I've stopped responding to many of the forum topics because they all turn into that. I like so many of the people here, but the combinations we create aren't always pleasant or conducive to real discussion. I've chosen more often than not to pray and remain silent, but your words here are an unfair characterization of Emile's feelings on this subject.

I have never stood by a Christian when I thought they were wrong. I have spoken out clearly if I thought they were in the wrong. As I said last night, I had not read the exchange, but only come in on the end of it and it seemed a ridiculous conversation.

I will however not comment on every little thing, no matter which side the person is on (believer or non believer) but that is an attempt at peace. When someone is clearly behaving in a way they shouldn't, i say something.

1. profile image0

I think all of us on every side of every coin comment before we should sometimes. That may be the biggest cause of our issues. hmm

2. bBerean profile image59

Good to hear from you Mo.  Trust me, it really is that simple.  Please don't make me go through all that backlog to find the thread where she made it that clear.

1. profile image0

While I appreciate your willingness to do that, I'm only concerned about today. Thanks, though smile

2. profile image0

Trust me. It isn't that simple. Yes, I do find the doctrine of hell abhorrent. Possibly, because it doesn't fall under the umbrella of love your neighbor as yourself.

3. profile image0

Thanks Motown. That about sums it up. And, you are right that it isn't only professed Christians behave in this manner. It's human nature, to some extent. Path of least personal resistance. But, I have always thought a follower of Jesus was meant to be aspired to personally.  Not a team effort to see how low one can get away with going.

4. Cgenaea profile image59

Zero. smile Jesus did not/does not compromise. The truth is plain to those who seek it... "Follow me..."
              "Throw the first rock, you who are sinless. "
              Do unto others as youd have them do to you."
              "Lean not to your own understanding. "
              "There is one God, I am his son, no way to him, but through me."
              "Believe in me; have faith in me."
              When people say that they respect the teachings of Jesus; do they really???
              My guess is... well, nevermind...

I cannot tell you how much I agree that not compromising the truth is of the GREATEST importance... but there is sharing the truth, and there is believing that our words are without flaw. I have shared with you before that I believe humility is vital.These forums cannot be a constant barrage of "I am right, and you are wrong." We share our faith b/c we love them. I am super irritated with one non believer right now, so I avoid speaking to him lest I say things that speak hate instead of love. We cannot wrestle flesh against flesh. When we come to that point... we must take our leave. We cannot witness from the point of pride. I know this b/c I am guilty of every failing.

1. Cgenaea profile image59

Right is right. The bible is ALWAYS right and that is always my angle.
                  However, lies and malicious badgering and bestowing assumed mindset is wrong and if I can, I will speak on it.
                  No hate, and definitely no selfish pride. We boast in the Lord. I know his voice. That irritates many. But that's not my business.

5. Sed-me profile image79

I have the greatest respect for you, you know that. My feeling was that you were joining the bandwagon of "us against them". I feel I have spoken way too much... please forgive me all, but again, I believe this should be allowed to be dropped.

2. profile image0

I hope you feel better.

It isn't so much that I don't like some people. It's the absurd beliefs unchallenged by other believers. I can only assume unchallenged means tentative agreement.

I don't know what beliefs have gone unchallenged... the only thing Im aware of is that everyone's talking about a situation that happened to Cat. I don't like what some of the men said to her. Their comments seemed totally inappropriate. One person telling her to find a different job b/c of her shape.' I think all women here should take offense to that.

I don't remember what your beef with her was, other than it wasn't a topic for this forum, which I agree with, but then I don't know how the topic came about... but here's the thing... I don't want to keep the topic going. It seemed like it was just a big, ridiculous argument that didn't have to do with the price of peanuts. (I don't think that's a saying.) It seems like we all will fight about ANYTHING. We all spend a lot of time together. Can we not be kind, as humans at all?

Some ppl's comments are really icky... Oy, let the poor horse die already. (This is not to you, but to everyone.)

1. profile image0

Well, she brought it on herself. I see now she's commented on how fat her sister is, so her sister's boobs don't get as much attention as her own. That mentality finds trouble in an office environment. Fair? I suppose it depends on your perspective. I have no sympathy for women who seek attention and then complain when they find it.

It reminds me of a woman i once worked with. She constantly sought validation. She got mad at me for not accepting drinks from men in a bar. When she was met with raised eyebrows by the men in the office because of her complaints she changed her tack. The next time the office went out she was waiting for a sub who was picking up a check. She called him. Told him to meet her at the bar, told him what she always drank and then acted flabberghasted when he showed up and bought her a drink. She used my line, which had made her so mad when I explained to her I was married and it was inappropriate. She got mad at me,.again, because I just started laughing and explained to her any woman who told a man to meet her at a bar.and told him what she drank would probably be insulted if she didn't get a free drink. You can't set the stage, write the script, and then be surprised when the play starts.

1. Cat333 profile image59

Let me see if I've got this right from your various posts on the matter. According to you, Emile, women only receive negative harassing attention when they WANT it. They should be "typed" and the women deemed to fit this certain stereotype should not be hired in the first place. If they try to counter the "blaming the victim" mentality expressed in assumptions / accusations of provocative dress, or explain why the harassment would occur without provocative dress, and they dare to mention the taboo subject of chest size, then this means they bring onto themselves and deserve any manner of inappropriate comments. If they either label or report discrimination and sexual harassment as such then they are "whining". Yet you don't consider yourself to condone sexual harassment and wouldn't benefit from sexual harassment training.

Why exactly are you carrying the conversation from the other thread into this one?

1. profile image0

You're right. I've made my point. Said my piece. Ensured you had every opportunity to be aware of my disdain. We're done.

2. profile image0

Christian like other religions somehow get what they want. However we don't need to just pick on them. Sam Harris made a valid point a few days back. Muslims claim groups like ISIS are not Islamic, but if a few people get together and burn a Quran, the Muslim world will be outraged, there would be death threats and riots in the streets, but yet they sit back and quietly watch what ISIS is doing. Christians decide to ignore one of the very first commandments by wearing crosses around their neck and praying to pictures and symbols of Jesus and in the case of the Catholics praying to symbol and pictures and statues of those they decide are saints and ignore one of the others by going to work on Sundays. Yet in amongst those laws that they were told to follow, but don't they pick a few out and decide to hurt others with them.

It's the strangest thing.

1. profile image0

Well, I don't interact with many Muslims but I see your point and agree.

4. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, is it time to single out Christians again and ignore every other group in the world that has hypocrites in their ranks?

As usual the skeptics focus solely on the "don't judge" part of the Bible and pluck out the parts about God not being okay with the way you live your life.

1. profile image0

Unlike the people who think they'll rule a planet as reward for the hypocrisy.

I singled out Christians because they were the ones currently on site claiming God loves them more. Also, I happen to respect the gospels. I realize one has to toe some childish belief structure to avoid being targeted. Which makes me question whether the religion can continue to be considered of value with two thousand years, thirty thousand sects (and counting) of people using it to feed their own egos.

1. profile image0

Right all those bad Christians out there who contribute to the bulk of charitable organizations across the globe. Give it up, you can't vilify a group that more effectively applies decent, moral values to the real world.
          The rising, and most pathetic trend of the agnostic is to enjoy some baseless, meaningless inner faith, while real Christians are actually doing something to make the world a better place.

1. profile image0

The sad thing about this is you probably would agree with me on some of the philosophies I call 'fringe'. You probably would be as offended by behavior patterns I am questioning. You, on the other hand chose to come in, guns loaded, assuming someone was attacking you. That was not my intent, nor do I see any reason to get into a protracted hissy fight defending myself against your erroneous conclusions. Been there, done that.

1. profile image0

I am offended that you would equate me with loaded guns as though my religion fosters some stereotype of violent, gun toting, bible thumpers.

Actually very few things offend me. That sentiment is a long held tradition that has been chartered and monopolized for generations by cry baby liberals.

The sad thing is seeing yet another thread that is set up purely to polarize and demonize Jesus's fan club. Were the word Christian to be replaced by "Jew" or "Muslim" you would be labeled a racist, bad person. Which is why you choose to go down the politically acceptable path of Christian bashing.

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
            Quilligrapherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey there, Onus.

Research reported in Connected to Give: Faith Communities dispels the myths and assumptions behind the false notion that Christians “contribute to the bulk of charitable organizations.” The study explores where religious donors make charitable contributions and provides comprehensive information about existing behaviors and motivations among both religious and non-religious. {1}

It also answers the question, “Do Christians give more generously than non-religious?” Actually, after deducting the amounts donated to congregations and religious organizations, they do not appear to be more generous at all. The data determined that Christians who say they give because of their religion, are, in reality, giving to their religion as well. About 40% of all donations go to churches and religious institutions established primarily for religious activity or spiritual development.

In addition, another third of their charity goes to nonprofits with religious identities. Many non-dogmatic groups feed the hungry, house the poor and fight for the under-privileged. However, Christians mostly ignore them in favor of faith-based groups that do charitable work while also proselytizing. A large portion of the donated money goes toward spreading religious beliefs, not actually helping other people. {2}

In contrast, 56% of all non-religious, only slightly less than the ratio of religious donors, also contribute to charities but their philanthropy goes only to help those in need. {3}

It turns out, Onus, Christians are equally as generous as most other religious believers like Muslims, Hindus, and Jews but they give more than non-Christians do only when you include their donations to religious congregations and organizations.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
            {1} http://connectedtogive.org/
            {2} http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat … h-to-rest/
            {3} http://religiondispatches.org/new-study … -religion/

Time
              The local Church – embedded in communities, intimately familiar with the challenges and resources at hand, and able to mobilize a wide network of volunteers – is uniquely equipped to respond quickly in the aftermath of disaster.

Unlike much outside assistance, the Church remains decades after a disaster.  In the ensuing years of recovery and rehabilitation, the Church responds holistically, facilitating lasting change.

Looking back on Hurricane Katrina at its five-year anniversary and witnessing the ongoing restoration of Haiti’s Port-au-Prince, the significance of the local Church in  disaster response is evident.
              http://worldrelief.org/page.aspx?pid=2635

While FEMA and the Bureau of Indian Affairs are providing grants to help those who suffered losses in the fires, disaster assistance was also being provided by other groups, including Mennonite Disaster Service, Church World Service, Lutheran Social Services, Tzu Chi Foundation and the Red Cross, said Miriam Gelo, a FEMA voluntary agency liaison who is working with the tribes.

Wade Gayler, acting incident commander with Southern Baptist Disaster Relief, said volunteers from his organization have been helping clean up debris – and helping residents recover valuables - from homes that were burned on the reservations.
              http://www.disasternews.net/news/articl … cleid=3542

Money
              "Q. We often hear that religious people give more to charity than secularists. Is this true?
              A. In the year 2000, “religious” people (the 33 percent of the population who attend their houses of worship at least once per week) were 25 percentage points more likely to give charitably than “secularists” (the 27 percent who attend less than a few times per year, or have no religion). They were also 23 percentage points more likely to volunteer. When considering the average dollar amounts of money donated and time volunteered, the gap between the groups increases even further: religious people gave nearly four times more dollars per year, on average, than secularists ($2,210 versus $642). They also volunteered more than twice as often (12 times per year, versus 5.8 times).

Very little of this gap is due to personal differences between religious and secular people with respect to income, age, family, or anything else. For instance, imagine two people who are identical in income, education, age, race, and marital status. The one difference between them is that, while one goes to church every week, the other never does. Knowing this, we can predict that the churchgoer will be 21 percentage points more likely to make a charitable gift of money during the year than the nonchurchgoer, and will also be 26 points more likely to volunteer.

Q. But aren’t they just giving to religious charities and houses of worship?
              A. These enormous differences are not a simple artifact of religious people giving to their churches. Religious people are more charitable with secular causes, too. For example, in 2000, religious people were 10 percentage points more likely than secularists to give money to explicitly nonreligious charities, and 21 points more likely to volunteer. The value of the average religious household’s gifts to nonreligious charities was 14 percent higher than that of the average secular household, even after correcting for income differences.

Religious people were also far more likely than secularists to give in informal, nonreligious ways. For example, in 2000, people belonging to religious congregations gave 46 percent more money to family and friends than people who did not belong. In 2002, religious people were far more likely to donate blood than secularists, to give food or money to a homeless person, and even to return change mistakenly given them by a cashier."

"The fact is that self-described “conservatives” in America are more likely to give—and give more money—than self-described “liberals.” In the year 2000, households headed by a conservative gave, on average, 30 percent more dollars to charity than households headed by a liberal. And this discrepancy in monetary donations is not simply an artifact of income differences. On the contrary, liberal families in these data earned an average of 6 percent more per year than conservative families.

These differences go beyond money. Take blood donations, for example. In 2002, conservative Americans were more likely to donate blood each year, and did so more often, than liberals. People who said they were “conservative” or “extremely conservative” made up less than one-fifth of the population, but donated more than a quarter of the blood. To put this in perspective, if political liberals and moderates gave blood like conservatives do, the blood supply in the United States would surge by nearly half.

One major explanation for the giving discrepancy between conservatives and liberals is religion. In 2004, conservatives were more than twice as likely as liberals to attend a house of worship weekly, whereas liberals were twice as likely as conservatives to attend seldom or never. There are indeed religious liberals in America, but they are currently outnumbered by religious conservatives by about four to one."
              http://www.american.com/archive/2008/ma … -of-givers

Among Americans who claim a religious affiliation, the study said, 65 percent give to charity. Among those who do not identify a religious creed, 56 percent make charitable gifts.

About 75 percent of people who frequently attend religious services gave to congregations, and 60 percent gave to religious charities or nonreligious ones. By comparison, fewer than half of people who said they didn’t attend faith services regularly supported any charity, even a even secular one.
              http://philanthropy.com/article/Religio … re/143273/

1. profile image0

Republicans appeal to the sensibilities and values of the religious while standing for values that contradict their faith.

You forgot to post the link to the article from where you got that fact.

1. profile image0

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Democrat_vs_Republican

Economic Ideas

Democrat - Minimum wages and progressive taxation, i.e., higher tax rates for higher income brackets. Born out of anti-federalist ideals but evolved over time to favor more government regulation.

Republican - Believe taxes shouldn't be increased for anyone (including the wealthy) and that wages should be set by the free market.

Social and human ideas

Democrat - Based on community and social responsibility.

Republican - Based on individual rights and justice

I ask you to think of the teachings of Jesus. Do you think he spoke about community and social responsibility or the rights of individuals? Do you believe he taught that the free market should dictate the minimum wage or that the rich should not give to the poor?

Thanks for this information, Beth. I didn't know.

2. profile image0

The only problem Quill, is that the donations made by the nonreligious are out of the forced expense of the higher income earners. That is government mandated welfare generously taken at gun point or threat of imprisonment.

That's not true.  I donate regardless of how much I'm taxed because it's a good thing to do.  No one is forcing me at gunpoint to make sandwiches for the homeless without holding them hostage for a sermon first, or for donating to organizations that provide medical or health necessities for those in need, regardless of what their beliefs are.

1. profile image0

I'll see your not true, and raise you a yes it is.

Can you actually tell me how my donations are a direct result of my being taxed?   I don't see it.   Since you know more about my taxes and my charitable giving than I do,  please enlighten me.

5. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with you for the most part, however some of the nicest people to ever dawn these forums were Christians, just not the "I see Satan destroying the world" kind of Christians.

These nice Christians know that, they are told so in so many words by others, including non-believers, but they are also attacked by the fundamentalists who believe Satan got at them, too. It's really quite fascinating, don't you think?

I commend you for deciding to take an active role in not supporting Christianity, although, I'm sure you also know who those nice Christians are and would probably go on supporting them personally.

They deserve support and respect. They are the honest Christians, and they behave quite unlike the Abrahamic God from which their religion originated, but like yourself, they hold respect for the ministry of Jesus and many of the good things he had to say.

Sure, there's some pretty barbaric stuff going on in the NT, but like many other philosophies, there are often a few gems to take away. It's these honest Christians who have done just that.

And, I applaud them. smile

1. profile image0

I don't disagree that there are 'honest Christians' in the forums. I don't know that I support anyone. Sure there are hubbers I personally like, but I share my opinion like everyone else and they do not support me, or I them, on most religious questions.

I'm not sure I'm up to supporting anyone. Specific issues, maybe. But, I don't consider the search for the spiritual to be a team activity. Open discussion is all I seek. Without the drama and fabricated stories. I cannot support a notion that anyone is deemed special or that magical forces move through our world buffeting us around like rag dolls. This belief trivializes the thoughts of others on the subject.

Personally, i haven't read a post where anyone degrades the ministry of Jesus. They could be there, but i haven't seen it. Which clearly tells me it isn't Jesus causing the problem. It's those who have convinced themselves they are the Metatron. I'm still struggling to understand how an adult could reach such a conclusion.

That was nice of you to support them, ED.

6. cjhunsinger profile image61
      cjhunsingerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Emile

Christians come in many flavors, as too, all other beliefs, whether theistic, Atheistic  political, racial or cultural. With reference Christians most are content with believing what they believe and do not put themselves in the guise of a galloping Crusader, Don Quixote or an Inquisitor passing judgment on the lesser. These are the people, who attend their church on a regular basis, adhere to the principles of charity and "do unto others', and other admirable practices. They do not feel that you have to be wrong in order for them to be right. There is no condemnation, no judgement,  no expressed great truth that all must abide by.
      Occasionally, I participate on an Atheistic web site and many there are as militaristic as many Christians here.

1. profile image0

I agree. And, I do think sensible atheists should speak out against militant atheism just as I would hope the Christians would. You don't want the rabble giving others a bad name without the others at least voicing their thoughts.

"...most Christians are content with believing what they believe..."; "...no expressed great truth..."
        Doesn't sound like these words describe Jesus' disciples, those of the early church inspired by the Holy Spirit, or those taking the great commission seriously. Do you consider the disciples, the early church and all those who follow Jesus' own instructions to be in error? Or is it just that truth must be spoken in love with great patience and humility?

If someone were given truth - especially truth that is a matter of life and death - but withheld it from me and willfully let me lose out on life, I would not see this as love, but as an apathetic and self-centered attitude about the truth itself and all of us who didn't yet have the Truth.

Let's be careful not to pass judgment on our brothers and sisters in Christ. I will agree that SOME may not be called to go out and speak because God does not have the same purpose for each of us. So the one who lives quietly and serves is doing right, according to the purpose God has for them and the grace and gifts they've been given. And the one who declares the truth is doing right, according to the specific purposes and gifts given to them. "We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully." (Romans 12:6-8)

May God bless you as you walk with him and grow in grace.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54

That is a contradiction. It is those who you claim do right by declaring the truth who are passing judgment on everyone else. So, please stop declaring the truth so that no one will pass judgment on anyone else.

Declaring the truth does NOT equate to passing judgment.

The Truth has been established and cannot be changed. We are neither coming up with the truth nor condemning anyone nor pretending to know the final outcome that God alone knows. It is true that all those who come to the Father through Jesus Christ will be saved, as they cross over from condemnation and death to life; and all those who stand in their condemnation are not saved because they themselves refuse to pass over from death to life. The judgment is there from God - sin leads to death. The offer is there from God - salvation is found in Jesus Christ.

We lay it down and present it to you. We pray and we hope for your own sake that the Lord will open your eyes to the truth and that you too will pass over from death to life in the Lord.

Yes, it most certainly does equate to passing judgment.

You have just passed judgment on me.

1. cjhunsinger profile image61

Encephaloi

You are blessed with the patience that has been withheld from me. Does not god work in mysterious ways and his wonders to perform?

Yes, He does not. smile

2. profile image0

This is the logic given when believers have no explanation for events. They claim to have intimate knowledge and a loving relationship with God, but fail to understand him. Would you marry the leader of a country who was allowing millions of children to die every year and only give the explanation that it's part of his plan? Would you explain to those around you that he works in mysterious ways?

I don't know if you'll be receiving eternal life or not; you may yet be my "unborn" brother who will be born again - that is, born of the Spirit - before you leave this earth. My Lord knows. No judgment on it here.

And, once again, you pass judgment on me.

2. Righteous Atheist profile image57

I don't believe you. You have persuaded me that my choice to reject this fear mongering belief system was correct. You are a perfect example of the sort of self righteous hypocrisy that first made me decide it was a lie. You do not have any truths.

2. Cgenaea profile image59

Finally... bright lights hurt some eyes. A given...

2. cjhunsinger profile image61

Deleted

Let's see - those following the lead of the Spirit will love and be merciful and patient and declare the Lord's favor and grace. This is what true Christians - those who worship in spirit and in truth - are doing. An Islamic "terrorist" is terrorizing - torturing, killing, etc. See the difference?

Be careful when relying on historical accounts. You were not there to witness how it really happened, and the powers that be will not give you an unbiased presentation. In your own life, when was the last time you witnessed Christians killing people? We've heard of a few "Christians" who've killed in our day out of hatred for this or that group (they certainly make big news), but this is such a rare exception and we know this is not the way of Christianity. Feeding the hungry, caring for the homeless and prisoners, sharing the good news about Jesus Christ... these we see are the actions of the Christians.

You do realize that is not an argument because you also were never there when they allegedly placed Jesus on the cross.

2. profile image0

"An Islamic "terrorist" is terrorizing - torturing, killing, etc. See the difference?"
              "Be careful when relying on historical accounts. You were not there to witness how it really happened, and the powers that be will not give you an unbiased presentation."

Do you see the irony that these sentences came in sequence? You trust historical accounts of Islamic terrorist terrorizing yet ask people to not trust the historical accounts of the crusades?

3. Cgenaea profile image59

Jesus was very serious about his ministry. He held back nothing. True love is telling your brother, "Hey!!! Watch that big black deep hole just ahead of you!!!"
          How can you say you love him and do differently? Bible says, you can't.

Yes! It's interesting that when it comes to Christianity, apathy gets labeled as love and daring to care and speak the truth that God has given to humankind gets labeled as judgment. Guess we know exactly why that is, though...

1. Jomine Jose profile image71
              Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You two are bent on proving the OP right, aren't you?

3. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Got a link to that site?

1. cjhunsinger profile image61

Several

Reddit Atheism
          Richard Dawkins
          Pharyngula
          Friendly Atheist
          The Skeptic’s Dictionary
          Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
          Common Sense Atheism
          Unreasonable Faith
          Skeptic’s Annotated Bible – 99,115

Thank you, sir.

7. profile image56
      jmark13posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Emile, there's no reasoning with faith. That's the entire point. In order to really get the Christian gospel, you would have had to have been present with the original founders of Christianity. The hundred of years that separate us have recycled and essentially hijacked the idea so all you know is what people who weren't there; tell you. Rather than try to 'find the truth' you should abandon the effort and accept that it's all just insignificant ritual and text.

1. profile image0

Superstition. It's a big bunch of superstition.

Or, keep trying to find the truth. That would actually be the sane thing to do.

8. oceansnsunsets profile image83
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you hold respect for the ministry of Jesus and goodness.  Your choosing to no longer support Christians is a choice toward what seems the whole group of Christians. (Some of your wording indicates lumping, some not.  Overall it seems the post is lumping, am I wrong?) 

I have found in life that I see some that engage in the negative traits you list, and some that don't.  Normally, or in the past, I have found you to respect those particular differences.  The facts of the differences mattered to you before, I mean.

Your choice to no longer seek out any "reason" in arguments from Christians is something that seems out of the ordinary from you.   Emile, you say, "The lies and innuendo, the games many play circumventing the truth, the total lack of regard most show toward their fellow man in order to prop up their egos. The gyrations around verses in order to circumvent the spirit of the intent."....  To those that would do those kinds of things, I don't know of anyone that would suggest you SHOULD support those types of people or things or religions.  Jesus didn't support it and spoke out on hypocritical behavior.  I don't support it.  I would never expect you to.   

To me, this is not really any different than anyone else putting a particular face or label on Christianity, Christ or Christians, then acting like that label fits just for the saying so. (There are many on HP)  I know i have been absent a lot due to my schedule, but this is a different Emile to me.   I don't fault you for making the choices you have clearly made here.  I am just noting a big change and you allude to that as well.  In the past, when I have seen this from others but not so much from you, not for an ongoing amount of time anyway.  (Other than what seems to be a here and there out of character type of comment, only to get back to what seems more the norm, imo and observation.)

You also say, " You've allowed the fringe to define you to those outside the faith too long for me to continue to give the religion the benefit of the doubt. It's really very sad that these have become the face of Christianity."

How can "I" allow the fringe to define me like you say, that I lose your giving me or my "religion" the benefit of the doubt?  How is that any different than you just saying you are allowing yourself to choose to define the whole group or religion by the fringe element out there?  I share this and ask this to explain my comment of noticing a big change.  How is it any different than you just saying you are allowing the "fringe" to become the face of Christianity for you?  This is just a simple choice on your part it seems.  It is able to be done, sure. Anyone can do that and they do on HP all the time.  But then you spoke of stopping the looking for "reason" in people's arguments.  So its baffling to me.  Or maybe it makes sense in another light, actually.... (?) 

None of it all maybe matters really, but on the other hand, if there is any truth to a possible truth in Jesus, you might be missing out on something really big due to some simple choices like you have indicated.  And all because of some people that act contrary to what they say they believe in.  In that sense, it wouldn't be worth it, or too much to possibly lose for what would turn out to be a very bad reason.

Anyway, (edit) I wanted to add that you have been one of my favorites on these boards for years.  You know that though. smile

9. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Dishonesty in the ranks of Christians.....  (?)  Sure, we can all find and point out examples of that.

I think we can find dishonesty in the ranks of ALL kinds of views from the beginning of human history until now.  Views that would also rank honesty as a good trait, something to be upheld as good, moral and ethical.  I think to those that said they did not esteem honesty, that we could test that idea and find they really do esteem it.  Therefore, to any that practice dishonesty, they would be going against their own moral code.   So the idea that you are giving up on Christians, to give up on listening to their possible reasoning, is a concern or interesting because it seems so pinpointed.  The problem you pinpoint is a human one, not just a Christian one.   

Not long ago, we would find you echoing these sentiments.  For such a change if it is really the case with you, I suppose it is good to know about for those discussing and debating here.  To me, the bigger question could be, "what would explain this, that can actually explain this?"

1. profile image0

I see you posted twice. I'll use this to reply and hope I clarify. No. I don't think all Christians are dishonest. In real life, I don't run into the problems I see here. To be honest, I started this thread at a moment of frustration when two professed Christian hubbers were running on and on with a vein of dishonesty and disdain for all other beliefs and another professed Christian made a comment against the behavior patterns and then proceeded to gloss over it all as if 'nice' was the correct response to such as that.

I simply think fringe groups being allowed to go unchallenged with many of what I thought were mainstream believers supporting their behavior patterns makes what I had assumed was mainstream appear to be aligned with these odd beliefs.  If that is the case, I find it difficult to support the idea of Christianity as it is displayed.

Please note that I don't equate Christianity with Jesus' teachings so this is not intended to imply that I am making a negative statement about Jesus. I wouldn't want to have to go through another ridiculous conversation (not with you, just someone who appears to have a problem with my opinion) on that.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image83

Emile, thanks. 

If people were to make up Christianity to be whatever they want, (like people looking at Christians apart from Christs teachings?) then to me it makes no sense to criticize it.  In reality, isn't it really just a touting of the goodness of Jesus and his teachings I think for those with a critical eye to want to see truth?  It is in essence criticizing people for going against the teachings of Jesus.  I can appreciate that irony at least.

If your OP is in response to just some simple frustration by some hypocritical people's behavior, then that is one thing.  It seemed you had done or have done a 180 and I explained in my original post.  I understand now I think.  Like so many others, it seemed you are getting on the same bandwagon that was predicted would be in place so long ago, by Christ himself. 

I value fairness, and wish freedoms for all people.  I can't make anyone else be fair, but do very much respect it when I see it. 

I am sure I have missed what particular things that you think are going unchallenged by the mainstream Christians.  Do you care to reiterate that or share?  Like what kinds of things?  What is the measuring stick you use to measure when they do create enough of a challenge to the fringe, and what would that even look like so they might not fail in your eyes and result in such OP's as this?  My point being, isn't this a bit ambiguous of a point, to be using it for the explanation of the reason for writing such an OP in the first place?   Especially if the kind of Christian they are supposed to be is NOT the kind that = Christs teachings?  You begin to see the problem....

What you allude to, is a type of Christianity that no one ought to get on board with, and one that Christ didn't teach.  Its like pointing out the faults of a "non" Christian.

If you take out the "Christ" or "Christ's teachings" out of Christianity how can we know what you are using to measure up a whole group of people against? Wouldn't it just be against Emile's views of what is right and wrong for people that call themselves Christians that lack Christs teachings?  If so, why not do this with all views held in the world that go against your own?  It seems like they could be in the fault zone no matter what in your eyes. 

Criticizing people that don't measure up to a "non Christ" or "minus Christ's teachings" type of Christianity and calling that a "bad thing" is something I can maybe get on board with (almost).  Especially if I understood what the measuring stick was.  The best way I can personally view all of this is that it is another cool shout out to the true goodness of Jesus and his teachings and their life giving and eternal quality they have, inherently.  I maybe don't disagree as much as I thought once I read your explanation, so thanks.  I just understand it better now, or in a new light.

Cat333posted 9 years ago

Beth - I hope everything goes well with your tooth and your job. And I hope you feel better soon.

But Beth - not me, nor Cgenaea, nor SirDent, nor Bberean have done any major wrong (all humans have room for improvement at all times) or anything that should surprise you. I get that you think my particular defense of the provocative accusation was unladylike or inappropriate, and that we shouldn't have been discussing the situation, but I take blaming attitudes toward women very seriously and my fight against such is not only a fight for myself but for women and victims in general. The initial point was the fulfilled prophecy and victory foretold by God, which was then "dragged through the mud". It seems you want peace where peace is not possible. Jesus himself said: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34). We likewise are involved in many spiritual battles.

It isn't any of us who are behaving differently. Even when you first popped into the thread I started, it wasn't to answer the question or give any spiritual insight, and nothing you've been saying has been about spiritual matters, but only trivial things that I'm not sure why we'd be discussing in the religious forums. Maybe it's too stressful a time for you to be here. You've been surprised, you say, at the posts of four of your brothers and sisters (as well as your friend Emile), but I've been surprised at your posts (I think in the past you would have said thank you when I wished you well at your new job).

Well, this thread seems a bit gossipy and judgmental to me, so maybe not a healthy environment. Take care, Beth.

1. profile image0

Gossipy and judgmental? Do you actually bother to read your own posts or can we assume the hand of God moves through you and you aren't responsible for your own words? If so, that is one negative, gossipy, judgmental god you've got there.

3. profile image0
    Mel92114posted 9 years ago

Hello Emile and everyone, long time no see. MysticMoonlight here, if you guys remember me? I've missed you guys!

There are some absolutely awesome Christians here on HubPages. They are as close to Christ-like as I've ever known possible. They are kind, slow to anger, hospitable and honest. I'm glad and so proud that I know them. They've given me inspiration and joy and I'm grateful they are here because there are some Christians here that are few, if any of these things. There are people of all walks of life here that are lacking in that which they represent or hold dear. We could all be more Christ-like, wouldn't hurt a single one of us to strive to do so, however, insisting or supposing that everyone must fall into a certain criteria or mold to qualify as being truly like Christ is where the divisions are born. What good is that doing anyone? Some want or even insist on this division or they feel they fall short of being a good or proper Christian.Those that insist on this need to understand, you are insisting that people be Christian to be like Christ but believe it or not, some people strive to be like Christ but care NOTHING for being Christian. They strive to be Christ-like, not Christian. One is not always necessarily inclusive of the other. If that offends you, be prepared for people that don't give a damn.

Be good to one another, be kind to one another, help and love your fellow man, no matter what religion or lack thereof. That's being Christ-like, IMO. If that is a problem, then maybe the question is, is it more important to be a Christian or like Christ? What about both, it can be done. What's more important?

Peace.

1. profile image0

Welcome back. Thanks for sharing your opinion. You are correct. There are beautiful people in every faith and every belief. Sometimes the ones who don't fit that criteria in my mind block the view.

1. profile image0
        Mel92114posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile

Thanks. A lot of good points.

1. profile image0

Thank you as well, Cat333 smile

3. profile image0

Great to see you back! Welcome! big_smile

1. profile image0

Thanks, Mo! Great to be back! smile

4. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Mystic moonlight, why are you not you anymore?

1. profile image0

Hello Beth. I deleted my account. Got sick of it all and wiped it all out. Makes me kind of nauseous now. I wish I hadn't done that. sad

haha, no one understands more than I. smile
        I hope you did not lose a lot of money.
        Did you save your work? I think I lost a lot of mine.

1. profile image0

I lost some money, not a lot, lot but still...bummer.

I still have some of my work, lost some of it though...double bummer.

I hope your tooth gets well pronto. Tooth pain is its own type of Hell, IMO.

5. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 9 years ago

Any good jokes, Sir Dent?  Looks like we could use one about here.

Bravo! smile

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 9 years ago

A kindergarten teacher gave her class a "show and tell" assignment of bringing something to represent their religion.

The first boy got in front of the class and said, "My name is Benjamin and I am Jewish and this is the Star of David."

The second boy got in front of the class and said, "My name is Mary. I'm am Catholic and this is the Crucifix."

The third boy got in front of the class and said, " My name is Tommy and I am Baptist and this is a casserole."

That day, they were all Baptists.  wink

7. profile image0

There will be a meeting of the Board immediately after the service," announced the pastor.

After the close of the service, the Church Board gathered at the back of the auditorium for the announced meeting. But there was a stranger in their midst -- a visitor who had never attended their church before.

"My friend," said the pastor, "Didn't you understand that this is a meeting of the Board?"

"Yes," said the visitor, "and after today's sermon, I suppose I'm just about as bored as anyone else who came to this meeting."

8. profile image0

Cowboy Joe was telling his fellow cowboys back on the ranch about his first visit to a big-city church.

"When I got there, they had me park my old truck in the corral," Joe began.

"You mean the parking lot," interrupted Charlie, a more worldly fellow.

"I walked up the trail to the door," Joe continued.

"The sidewalk to the door," Charlie corrected him.

"Inside the door, I was met by this dude," Joe went on.

"That would be the usher," Charlie explained.

"Well, the usher led me down the chute," Joe said.

"You mean the aisle," Charlie said.

"Then, he led me to a stall and told me to sit there," Joe continued.

"Pew," Charlie retorted.

"Yeah," recalled Joe. "That's what that pretty lady said when I sat down beside her."

9. Cat333 profile image59
    Cat333posted 9 years ago

I've found that truth is more unbelievable than fiction. If we were writing a novel, we'd not dare put in the true experiences that would be perceived as too coincidental, miraculous, and so on, for fear we'd make our story too unbelievable. Yet when it is true, we often give the testimony, even knowing it will be rejected by those blind to the truth or even by Christians lacking faith in the power and presence of the Holy Spirit. True but naturally remarkable testimony gives hope and encouragement to some, but becomes a test to others, and reveals if we're listening with natural or spiritual ears.

True, I have several stories I could recount, which have nothing to do with my beliefs or spirituality, but contain elements that would be hard for others to believe.  I temper those sensational details for fear nobody would believe them and the value of the rest of the tale would be lost.  If those elements are the point of the story, however, as is sometimes the case with testimony, they must be included regardless of how receptive the audience may be.

Yes!

True.

10. profile image0

Rom_3:4  God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar

11. profile image0

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Amen!!

12. profile image0
    Mel92114posted 9 years ago

And just who is wicked, Cgenaea? And just why does believing that the wicked are going to the lake seem to please you so?

Because it pleased Jesus; if simply mentioning the truth of it, is indicative.
      Search the scriptures for a description of wickedness.

13. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Ok, I'm signing off... this has been a fun day, between the toothache and the forums. lol

Have a great night everyone.  smile

1. profile image0

Good night. Enjoyed the chat.

14. Cgenaea profile image59
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

It sounded as vile to me your way. I didn't report your post. But again, I'll never run from you. If I must sit out for a year or two, I may come up with a book.
    Maybe not so bad.

15. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Im getting the ole block sign again... can only read your posts by clicking on reply, which doesn't allow me to see who anyone is talking to.

Im going to assume Ed, that you are talking to JM and me. I already sent JM my observations of 1-5 so the train has left the station. wink

I think JM and I could have a really interesting, introspective conversation privately. I think if we were to have it on this forum, it would turn into another free-for-all and all hopes of productive conversation would be lost.

16. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I just realized you founded this, yes?
    Ugh, Im sorry. It is just the first paragraph I have an issue with. It sounds very positive other than that. Im sorry if my comments were offensive. sad

Don't worry, I want honest feedback, and if there's a tone that offends, I don't want that. Just trying to figure out how to keep the focus on God as Creator but perhaps with a different tone.

It's really just the first paragraph, " In a culture that increasingly denies our Creator and places stumbling blocks in the way of belief in our Lord Jesus Christ,"

It's very professional and builds a great image... something to get excited about... it's just that line. It's like a dig right at the beginning of something that otherwise, sounds incredibly positive. Let the focus be on God, not His detractors.

Thanks. That line was pretty much to point to the need in this particular day, but I do see what you're saying.

Cat,
                 Nice job on the site.  I applaud your initiative on this.  Considering your target demographic is Christians, as a means of supporting and encouraging one another, I see no problem with the line in question.  I don't consider it too negative but simply accurate, and not in an "in your face" way.  Honestly, I wouldn't see an issue with it even if your demographic where the general public as an outreach.  It's still subtle and true.
            Again, nice job. 

I shared your link on my Facebook page.

How ironic.

Thank you, bBerean! Your encouraging words mean a lot, and I'm glad you're sharing it!

I was told earlier today that a friend heard someone talking about it at their kid's dance class. Didn't know it had reached that far yet! The website's picking up Facebook "likes" pretty fast, so I imagine a lot more have at least visited it and know about it. Maybe God will open the door for it sooner than I expected!

Thanks again for your encouragement!

Acts 4:29-31New International Version (NIV)

29 Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.30 Stretch out your hand to heal and perform signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

Thank you both, for omitting the syrup chaser smile Christians not sounding loving enough is a huge cop out, conveniently added to shroud the words that sting us often. We are held responsible when we add OR subtract from the message of God.
                I pray that all goes as intended for Creator Day!

1. profile image0

Interesting. Beth was the only Christian who commented against the off putting opening line. Can we assume you are talking about Beth? Does that mean nice is not a quality admired by what you label Christians?

Please do not assume anything. I speak as I am led.
                    We've had a rough ride; encouragement and assurance seemed fitting for me and mine.
                    I think that, more than anything, Christians are to be honest. (One reason the spirit of deception, challenges them in that area) There is a way to be nice with truth. But honestly speaking, the truth is not always the most pleasant thing to hear. No matter how nice I said to my aunt (who seemed to dislike me), "That's not a nice thing to say about prople." She was extremely offended.
                    All others, who know me personally, consider me a nice person who is fun to be around.
                    Do you?

I get where Cat was coming from with the line... We do live in a world where... well look at these threads. Our love for Christ is scoffed at, some ppl like to make us out to be bad guys, even though Churches are constantly serving the community etc. The crusades were how many hundreds of years ago, yet ppl still like to act like we would have anything to do with that? So yeah, I get the line. It's how she probably feels... I happen to live in a town that embraces God and does a lot of really neat things... I live in the Bible belt... other than these forums, I am not often faced with open hostility so I personally would have used a different approach. But we are not all the same. That should be obvious by now, and if that is where she is coming from, I can understand it. I am sorry for being overly critical when she was trying to do something positive.

Thank you, Cgenaea!

Sometimes it's a hard balance to find - love is supreme and we love all people, but yet we don't want to tolerate wickedness, conform to the pattern of the world, or have any unholy union. As it's written, "Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them."

Because the Spirit gives different gifts to his children and works through us in various ways, I want to be careful not to assume anything regarding my brothers and sisters who may be following the lead of the Spirit according to the gifts he gives them, which may differ from mine. I consider all that my brothers and sisters say to me and will consider change unless God has already spoken something definitively to me. I've been thinking about what Beth has said, and also about what bBerean and you have said, since you are all my sisters and brother.

I want to walk in love and I want to declare truth with boldness. Just got to let the Spirit help me walk that line and I know that He will turn me back as he always does when I begin to walk to the right or to the left of it.

Yes, +1 on bBerean's encouraging post. I'm sorry if mine was too negative. I hope the day is very blessed for all involved Cat. smile

Thanks, Beth. I don't think it was too negative. You had concern about a particular line and you were honest about that. Of course encouragement helps, but honesty is certainly better than a flattering tongue. I will see how the Spirit leads.

17. Righteous Atheist profile image57
    Righteous Atheistposted 9 years ago

Like pushing your irrational beliefs on innocent children? wink

Tell you what - you guys stop pushing your irrational beliefs - I will stop telling you how divisive they are.

Deal? wink

18. Cgenaea profile image59

Let this people turn to you, but you must not turn to them.

Good God!!! That fits here!!! Perfectly!!! .

19. profile image0

Anyone offended by an innocuous saying is, in my opinion, seeking to be offended. I really am not sure why you would have posted here in the first place, other than to find a way to find offense.  I won't defend myself against your misinformed ramblings.

1. profile image0

I was of course being facetious, which is why I followed up by saying few things actually offend me. Rather I am saddened by your selective outrage towards Christians.

Speaking of not defending yourself. Here you are. wink

1. profile image0

I saw that more as a response to you. Not a defense.  Defending myself would be explaining why I believe you are wrong in all of your assumptions.

1. profile image0

Yes, isn't that nice? You get to go around passing judgment on your target group, telling people that they are wrong, and attacking their character without having to justify your reasoning. Opening a soft tirade at them, guns locked and loaded with unearned moral high ground. Clearly it is not worth defending yourself because you have no defense.

1. profile image0

OK. Instead of arguing over something trivial. Let's attempt to determine why we are at odds.

You think I have attacked Christianity, as a whole. If I had, I am confused as to why this would be a problem. Christianity, in my opinion, attacks other beliefs when it attempts to put forth an argument that the adherent is privy to a cosmic truth which causes those not in agreement to somehow lose out on an eternal scale. That is an attack on the good name of every human not in agreement with that particular belief.

But, it doesn't stop there. Many push forth an argument that even every day decisions we make, lifestyles we maintain, cause some to lose out on an eternity.So, not only is our failure to agree with the particular adherent a cosmic death sentence; but our very existence is pushed as an affront to their deity. So, we find that the adherent believes we are not worthy of eternity on two counts. The adherent believes in this scenario and prays for this scenario to come to pass.

I don't believe in this scenario. I don't believe that attempts at judgment on this scale are biblically supported nor do I see any evidence within the history of this world to support such a belief. And, I see ample reason to think that there is enough information within the Bible for anyone to come to a completely opposite conclusion than the one pushed so fervently by some.

So, if my belief is that some Christians, on a daily scale, attack everyone who doesn't adher to their particular belief structure; if it is my belief that they abandon common decency, good reason, any semblance of propriety and even a remote glimpse of compassion......why would I not point it out? Why would I not expect a Christian who has the ability to recognize deviations from common decency, good reason, a semblance of propriety and even a remote sense of compassion to speak out against this?

Bottom line. If Christians willingly allow others to use that term when referring to themselves they must accept that the behavior patterns of the worst among them, those who chose to be the most outspoken, will be viewed as the defining characteristics of that faith. If you expect to retain a good name, you cannot allow your name to be abused so freely. If you refer to people who wantonly display these characteristics as your brother or sister in Christ then you give the appearance of rubber stamping their behavior patterns.

I have't attacked Christianity as a whole. I have simply pointed out that these behavior patterns are less than admirable and I do not want to lose my ability to view the faith with fairness; simply because these behavior patterns go unchallenged by others who claim to bear the same name.

1. profile image0

Well Emilie I never said you were attacking Christianity on a whole, but now I'm saying it.
              You don't seem to understand that it is a fundamental doctrine in Christianity to believe that the only way to eternal salvation is through Jesus Christ. If you have missed that part then perhaps you should read it over again, because he makes it pretty clear on several occasions.
              The problem is you think it is a character flaw to inform people about the very precepts that the religion is based on. That is salvation through Jesus.
              And that it is the very reason it is the favorite topic of agnostics and atheists to poke at, and ridicule. The whole "you think I'm going to hell because your a judgmental jerk" is a intellectual farce because it's blatantly asserted throughout the handbook.
              In reality you are the one who is being hypocritical and polarizing when you open with this very topic, and then tell anyone who refutes you to quit being trivial. There's no logic in it.

Quite right. This is indeed a fear mongering, conflict creating, judgmental belief system. Well said.

Thankfully it is dying out. wink

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Excuse me for editing your post as I did, but I wanted to use your own words to answer the question as to why Christianity is often attacked and ridiculed.

Yes, we do indeed understand that fundamental doctrine of Christianity, it has been  repeated over and over for centuries, perhaps many, many billions, trillions of times.

It rarely goes unnoticed considering how popular it is to evangelize that doctrine, even on state highway billboards and buses.

And, while it is true that doctrine is actually rejected by more than two-thirds of the worlds population, it still ceases to amaze whenever it is repeated. Truly, one of great redundancies of our time.

3. profile image0

Well, I do think anyone who thinks people are going to hell because they don't agree with them is a judgmental jerk; as you put it. What person can look into the heart of another? I'm sorry if you don't see it as an ego trip gone really, really bad. It's, basically,  calling yourself God. Which we all do when we come to conclusions on what we think might matter cosmically. I don't have the power, or the desire, to condemn anyone to hell. I simply wonder what it is that drives a mentality who would adopt such a philosophy.

1. profile image0

Jesus, that's who. Sorry you don't like him. Interestingly you started off by saying that you respect his ministry, which obviously you don't. Or perhaps you just don't understand what he was all about.
                  So you've just thrown Jesus in the pile as a "judgmental jerk", because he is the biggest and most righteous judge of all.

1. profile image0

Please don't attempt to drag the good name of Jesus down with you.

2. profile image0

Wow. Way to prove the point of a thread, dude.

Two things.

Jesus, being Jesus, is the only person who can judge with any impunity.

And, uh, you're not Jesus.

4. Cat333 profile image59

Well said.

It's unfortunate, but when Jesus presented his facts to the chosen peoples of God, they called him a liar, and they mocked him, and they in essence said, "We know better!!!"
              He promised that the same reception would be had by those who speak now as he spoke then.
              No surprise.
              He even had one follower to deny even knowing him, to keep alive an unbeaten. smile
              But that denial may have cost him.
              To deny Christ and his teaching is death. Maybe it's just that some want to live, no matter the mock...

1. profile image0

Actually, it is funny. When he presented his truth to the religious leaders they couldn't fathom the thought of him being who he said he was. Their noses were stuck so deep in their scrolls. They were so sure they had the words they needed to be righteous.

Letter of what you perceive to be the law. You aren't the first and won't be the last to be tripped up by it.

Wow... I think you have heard that argument. But the spin is, we need to know and understand what Jesus said... it's in the book. The letter of the laws was given only to the Jews. Jesus (the second part of the book) showed us HOW love works. "Follow me." At all costs. "What I say is boss. You misunderstand the "letter" so let's try this..." that was his charge. "Follow my commands if you love me." But you cannot do it if he don't tell you how... so he told you... most don't listen to what he said. They like their OWN UNDERSTANDING of what love is.

1. profile image0

Yes. It appears you do like your own dark understanding better. Come to the light genaea. Come to the light.

20. JMcFarland profile image68
    JMcFarlandposted 9 years ago

For all that were interested in the exchange between Beth and myself, the first hub is up.  I won't post the link due to forum rules, but it can be found under my hubs, entitled "Uncommon Ground".

Due to length, it made sense to do it per exchange - the first five chapters of Genesis already surpassed 3,000 words.

I had not seen the title when I read thru the hub. "Uncommon Ground." It's very well done Julie. Nice job.

21. profile image57
    Tariqbaroudiposted 9 years ago

just read the Quran, and you'll be sweet wink

1. profile image0

Not really. We are privy to the violent problems created by belief in the quran. Plus, as a woman, I doubt I could ever find a reason to believe it contained any information supplied by a deity.

1. profile image0

As a women you would be worth half a man.

More likely I will be a sociopath. sad

22. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

There was taunting and I missed it? That's what I get for not staying up past midnight.

1. profile image0

You missed nothing, someone (she who shall not be named) accused me of taunting by taunting. It was kind of funny actually.

You seem to confuse CONFRONTING with taunting. Stop taunting, Rad Man. Here and elsewhere; me and others.

You were the one who first made the inflammatory accusations, then taunted about the defense, then carried it into another thread, then brought it back up when it was dropped TO TAUNT. Then you sit back and play innocent. STOP!!

Good grief! Not again. sad

2. profile image0

Beth, you know I liked you so don't take this the wrong way. You can't actively participate in behavior patterns and accuse people of participating in behavior patterns, while denying your participation. It's laughable on some levels, pathetically obtuse on others.

When I use the word you it does not mean you, Beth. It's you, whoever the you fits.

1. profile image0

I don't think I would have directed that at Beth. I think that was a little uncalled for. But don't take this the wrong way because you know how much I like you.

1. profile image0

I think i made it clear it was not directed at Beth. I said don't take this the wrong way because she does display a tendency to ignore those types of things. I appreciate that in her, but she has to understand others don't.

1. profile image0

Okay, sorry. It didn't (to me) come across that way.

1. profile image0

Don't apologize. If there was any chance Beth viewed this in the same light you did then I appreciate the question and the chance to clarify.

1. profile image0

When I'm wrong I apologies. I apologies often.

1. profile image0

I offer a signed apology to people prior to conversation, just in case. smile

1. profile image0

A stellar idea. I find when I'm sincere I'm considered insulting. And vice versa.

I never got mine.   Now you owe me two.

So totally confused.

Without explanation or context, that didn't make sense to me.

1. profile image0

Whatever you say beth.

Im sorry, I was being sincere. I'm not going to worry about it at this point... it's time for me to go.

3. profile image0

We early birds miss a lot. smile

23. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 9 years ago

Oy vey. Again? Guys...it's gotta get shelved sometime.

I agree. So maybe the one taunting could just stop (not referring to Emile there).

24. profile image0

Oh goody! Our own little Cold War. Sigh.

1. profile image0

Don't complain. If you do, you can't come to the party when we tear down the wall.

1. profile image0

Hmm. I do like breaking down walls.

In that case, carry on.

big_smile

1. profile image0

Too late. The wall was broken, the party had, pretend day gone beautifully. Now, we are dealing with the hangovers.  That's where genaea comes in.

1. profile image0

I got pulled away before I could comment on that. No one even saved me a chunk of brick?! smile

I saved you a couple.   And a sledgehammer.

1. profile image0

Woo hoo!

25. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Has it always been this ugly around here and I just never noticed? It seems to me worse than ever... like we're not even here to discuss a topic anymore, just see who can deliver the meanest sting. I don't have a desire to be a part of it. I encourage everyone to take a breath and even a break until some kind of focus has been regained.

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is tame compared to some days.

2. janesix profile image60

As if you don't regularly instigate the drama around here Beth.

Chasing??? She said she doesn't want to take part. And that she needs a break. Be courteous.

1. janesix profile image60

Then she should stay off the forums if she doesn't want to take part. It's not that hard to step away from the computer for a while.

She is not blameless.

2. profile image0

Genaea. You know I love you in a love/hate/god I wish I would just puke and get it over with kind of way.  But, are you honestly telling someone to be courteous? What's gotten into you? I thought you didn't believe in such.

You may have forgotten by now, but I am probably most courteous on this site.  Only one or two are as courteous. wink it's the flabber-jabber about the words of Jesus being faked that gets my goat. Thus why you may have forgotten.
            But I love you too!!! And you KNOW... I find you remarkably sane. Level-headed like...

1. profile image0

I'll avoid a discussion on the first part. It is entirely possible that our definitions of that word diverge. And, you keep telling yourself that on the quote above. If it makes you happy. We do want you to be happy. smile

Thanks! I'm starting to feel special now.

26. Cgenaea profile image59

Yes, Cat! He is awesome.

So is Romulus.

27. Cgenaea profile image59

I remember her INITIAL statement... praise and glory.
    Your favored statement is in the breakdown of facts to you after your assessment of her happiness could not allow you to stand idly by while she was all giddy n sh*t... wink bout right???
    No need to reread. I remember.
    Seems you've forgotten some stuff.

28. Cgenaea profile image59

Why?

29. profile image0

Cat, I can't reply to your post directly. Not sure why. We all agreed to drop this. Explain what 'drop this' means to your peanut gallery.  I didn't read your conversation with rad man prior to him providing a chuckle for me when he told me someone had the poor taste to broadcast their bra size.

I stand behind any statements I've made concerning the inappropriate nature of your posts on the matter and my opinion of women who need to believe such as that is of any interest to the public, at large. Do not attempt to paint me inconsiderate of women  who actually do have valid reasons to cry harassment.

Now. This is the end of it. You are welcome to post anything whiny you choose. I'm done responding to these immature complaints.

The offense I found in your posts had nothing to do with you finding my defense to Rad Man's accusations "inappropriate" (I dared to say something "taboo", okay, I even apologized to those who took offense). What I took offense to (on behalf of not only myself, but ALL victims of sexual harassment) were your comments related to women who are harassed bringing it on themselves, harassment victims seeking attention, the label of "whining" when they report harassment and so on. I suggested sexual harassment training, but you were disinterested. You judged and you let your "disdain" known. So be it. Just don't misstate any of the facts of the situation. No need to reply, since you're done with the conversation.

1. profile image0

Ok.  One more post. Don't assume since I find your need to attempt to ensure everyone sympathize with the attention you get because of your bra size ridiculous and immature that I don't believe women who are mature do suffer harassment. I simply have no sympathy for women who make it known they constantly seek attention crying wolf when they get it.

No wolf crying, I didn't even report the events of that season. What I did here in the forums was give testimony of God's words and promises fulfilled. Over and over he said to me "They will fight against you but will not overcome you." Since everything was going smoothly at the time, I asked what he was talking about - who would fight against me. It was then revealed that it would occur at work. And truly, just as he said, immediately the "fight" (several incidents in a row) began. The superintendent's response to gossip was to try to get rid of me. But God had promised: They will not overcome you. And they did not. The superintendent was unable to get his way; my position was maintained and for many more years I worked there in the position God fully assured me he intended me to be in. Glory be to God who always keeps his words and promises! End of the story that matters.

Got that PRAISE in there huh??? wink nice...

Yes!!

30. Cgenaea profile image59

For the record, Cat: I saw no post that you have made to be attention seeking, deserving of Emile's unfair judgment, or whiny and/or wolf crying. smile

Thank you, Cgenaea!

31. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 9 years ago

Yes, people are essentially superstitious, so back then when someone got ill they assumed it was prayer that made them better. The still happens today. You know if you've an extra $300 there is a clergy that will get ride of those demonic spirits online. Hell I'll even do it.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

$250.  I'll do it for $250 and throw in an apple for health when it is gone.

1. profile image0

Undercutting me? I'm working here. I figure if they are gullible enough to believe in demons then they will be gullible enough to think I can get rid of them.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey, business is business, and a buck is a buck.  Now you just go back to your corner and let me handle this.

lol

1. profile image0

Alright, but I just think it's fair to warn people that it'll end up costing them $550 because I'll have to the  job myself anyway. It's best to get the job done right the first time. I have plenty of experience, I've watched it done on the Daily Show twice.

What type of guarantee do you offer?  What happens if they get repossessed?

1. profile image0

You've a great sense of humour, but you're wrong about almost everything else.

Cash up front please. It may take several circumcision… I mean exorcisms.

Yikes!  Between the idea of multiple circumcision attempts and confusing it with exorcism, I am getting concerned.  I better read your reviews.  What do you call your venture?

1. profile image0

Be gone ye demons.

32. Cgenaea profile image59

Repossessed (LOL) is a real possibility.
    You get what you pay for.

33. Cgenaea profile image59

To deny the holy spirit is unforgivable if you die in that state.
    I cannot remember the ... that spat in the face of the holy spirit as often as possible; but if you come to yourself, before your cock crows, you will be saved. God does not hold against you, foolishness before rebirth. The bible says he remembers it no more..
    Now THAT'S the kind of mercy we are dealing with. You, who once was dead, for sure, may live.

Best with spirit!
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11902747_f1024.jpg

Who told you about the sacred meat?!!!
        Heads will roll...

Holy Spirit.

Lol... may he have mercy on me for finding that funny. I really did laugh... pray for me...

34. Jomine Jose profile image71
    Jomine Joseposted 9 years ago

Dishonesty Within the Ranks of Christians..
    No, dishonesty = Christianity at least in hubpages.
    1) Blasphemy against spirit will never be forgiven
    2) Everything will be forgiven
    3) I know 1 is correct,
    4) I know 2 is correct
    5) I don't know
    6) but I know
    7 ) bible is truth
    8) but some truth are metaphorical
    9) you can't see the big picture, 
    10) you are picking and choosing

Any more dishonesty?

35. Cgenaea profile image59

I have noticed that my own posts often get misread because I don't talk regular. I do color my language a bit.
    Slow down. Read it twice if you must. I very rarely, myself, edit. If I do, it was important.

1. profile image0

I personally enjoy your very colourful language.

I knew it was something. wink

36. Cgenaea profile image59

You already said that you have children.  And I know you know them well. Johnny's blasphemy is not the same as Mildred's. And Kevin has a totally different... get it...? Lol. I know the answer. wink
    ...according to YOUR faith. Since he sees your thoughts... He knows exactly the fair judgment. Now you can fool ME into thinking you're going to hell with gasoline drawers... but only God knows.
    He speaks to each of his children differently.  See, Marcus really struggles with Math. So he doesn't get the same scrutiny that Suzy, straight A's. See? God is a father. And I am Marcus... lol
    My God is not a great big dummy in the sky... He is truth. And all things good. He listens for every plea. He brushes each imperfection to "new money" status. smile Trusting him is golden to me.
    No, I do not wish to win your soul. I'm just telling my story. He has been marvelous. Simply marvelous to ME.
    I'll answer what you ask, truthfully. With strict consideration.
    You say that Christians don't think. But you KNOW by now, that it is a false statement. You've got several Christians here, who are really, really smart. I'm the dumbest of them, and you struggle in conversation with even me. wink just kidding.
    You know, I aint no dummy. wink
    But you continue making the statement...
    Do you see that??? Chris is remarkably articulate. Sir Dent, thinks circles around all o ya... Nevermind
    Melissa, smarty pants (quick thinker), Mo, ... now you know!!! Beth!!! Cannot hold a candle to her... and Bberean (well taught); oceansnsunsets thinks beyond the box always. She goes the extra mile without restraint.  Cat333. Perceiving... strong, bright. Of the ones that come to mind, not a dummy in the bunch... can't think??? Ludicrous... just ludicrous.
    They've yielded. They know that all their knowledge is a gift. That's the diff...

I don't know against whom your tirade is directed still....
      most of what you have written is meaningless babble.
      Your god is your imagination you got after listening to your priests and reading bible.
      The god speak is nothing but hallucination and confirmation bias.
      Christians don't think when it comes to god, they simply believe. About you being the dumbest, if that is your opinion, I don't disagree.
      Most Christians who preach are dishonest if they are not nuts. None are articulate but some are good at creating smokescreens.

I tried to hold back... but you've left me no choice.
        THAT'S why your club is divisive and causes many conflicts!!!
        I wonder who your mascot is, Jason Frankenstein Kruger???

1. profile image0

Sorry. I thought that comment was directed at me. Never mind my previous post here.

2. Jomine Jose profile image71

Yea, the typical christian strategy provoke the opposite side then accuse them, christian dishonesty has no bounds! It's fortunate that Christians no longer hold the reins.
          Who is this Jason? Another of your imaginary beings?

Yes. smile Jason Voorhees from the popular Friday the 13th.
            Provoke? Uh... are you kidding?
            You stretching the bounds of your dishonesty?
            Typical atheist tactic... hmph...

Again the same... failure to address questions nonsensical babble, logical fallacies. ...
              Christians started to lie from the beginning of their religion,  why change it now?
              And I still have no idea about your jason.

37. Cgenaea profile image59

Again, the same song...failure to find the pitch; insistent upon singing, loud and proud. You making a demo? smile
    Jason, hockey mask, death on two legs, won't run, but WILL catch you... out there by Crystal Lake, Jason. Movie (blockbuster; bout 6 parts)
    you American???

Again talk that has nothing to do with the topic under discussion.

38. Cgenaea profile image59

Verse two...

39. Cgenaea profile image59

Ok, Jomine. Did you ACTUALLY ask me questions? I missed them.  Can you list them for me again with the numbers?

1) Blasphemy against spirit will never be forgiven
      2) Everything will be forgiven.
      Which one is correct? Both cannot be correct as both cannot be true at the same time.

Ha-ha! Bearing false witness...
        I answered this question outright and I think two little stories. Knowing your children??? Diff??? Knows your heart??? Gasoline drawers??? According to your faith???

Except that you didn't answer straightforward.
          And again you are resorting to the same dishonest tactics.
          A simple 1 or 2 is correct will do.

Well, have a seat.
            The Lord works with his children in consideration of strength/weakness. A c c o r d i n g to your faith.
            Blasphemy from me would look a lot different to God than from you. He understands us both on the most intricate level. He knows you don't mean what you say. He reaches out, because you do...

What does that mean?

smile
                Nevermind...

Great - at last a definitive answer. As you now claim to know what god knows - can you give me specifics please? I want to be certain I have properly blasphemed the Holy Spirit and will not get any last minute semantic reprieve and have to spend eternity with your cult members. wink

The mindset that you have about it is your ticket. smile congratulations!

40. Cgenaea profile image59

Now, I know... you have a crush too. Lol...
    I didn't answer the way you formulate in your lab; so, I'm stamped null and void???
    Atheist tactics... hmph... wink

41. Cgenaea profile image59

Blasphemy is DEFINITELY unforgivable. Never be forgiven...

Awesome. But that means your last statement was untrue. Oh dear. sad

It was /is totally untrue for you. There is no wiggle room within the phrase according to your faith.
        You are hopelessly convinced that you will not go to heaven because of your intended premeditated blasphemy with flair? Guess what the bible says... "for him it is sin." You feel better about thumbing your nose at the "boogie man" who WILL NOT push you around??? You shall have as you say. Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God.

2. Jomine Jose profile image71

Then why did you(and bible) say god forgives everything?

This must be one of those "everything must have been created" "except one thing didn't need to be created" things. I forget what you call them. big_smile

1. profile image0

Special pleading.

Oh! Gnashing and special pleading. Thanks, you're right. smile

We was tryna trick you Jomine. But you're too smart for us. wink
        They say that we will give an account for the things we say, here. Can you imagine all the shame that will overcome the man who speaks so unnecessarily ridiculous when he is standing toe to toe with his maker???Probably gonna be the worst of the gnashers.

Again no relevance.

42. Cgenaea profile image59

Mo, please help us to understand what you mean when you confirm that Jesus was flawed, alongside Emile...
    I really wonder what/how/where...

1. profile image0

Don't put words in my mouth Genaea. I did not say flawed. I said he was fully human. There is a difference, in my mind. So, be truthful here.

Please forgive... you seem kinda all over the place in thought. Tossed...
        I'm glad you recognize the flawless state of the fully human man. The "perfect" sacrifice. I was speaking with my sister for clarity on her idea that, "Father take this cup from me." Was doubt/flaw. It was human awareness that I'm bout to be beat bloody, poked, cut, mocked and hanged... Ow!!! Doubt??? No. I can say that Jesus had no doubts or fear. Anxiety, prob. But that horse is a different color.

1. profile image0

Well, I don't care who you talk to. But, if you bring my name up don't misrepresent my words.

And, since someone else apparently was able to follow the train of thought in the post I think the problem of thinking I was all over the place might be yours, not mine.

Yes Ma'am!!! I shall watch myself more closely so that I may represent your ideas more better. wink pray for me...
            All over the place is not only a reference to this conversation. One day you respect the ministry of Jesus; the next, feel as if he was a bumbling idiot unable to convey his messages to real smart people, capable of real thoughts. No thumb..., to check the way you view his evidence.

1. profile image0

Oh, come on, G! She, in no way, is attempting to paint Jesus as any sort of idiot. She's reflecting him as human...that's it. If I say it's fact that a paralyzed human can't walk, and that, in this way, Stephen Hawking is flawed, am I calling him an idiot?

I did say that I am not limiting my views of her opinions to this one conversation. She has been more than clear in represenring God/Jesus in some fleshly carnal light as in he should be able to say what he wants without all the confusion to people who will not sit and "learn of HIM".
                No need to protect her from me... she is totally safe with me. I love her too.
                We all wanna understand.

1. profile image0

How can you present falsehoods about someone you claim to love? Oh. Silly me. You appear to do that all the time. Carry on. smile

...next time, Emile.
                    Trust me. smile it will not be long...

2. profile image0

smile

I hear ya. But don't worry, I doubt Emile needs my "protection." LOL

That's what I thought too. smile

2. profile image0

Again, you are presenting falsehoods about me. Although I see some interpretations as having been thought out by bumbling idiots I don't think I have ever presented an argument in defense of Jesus being one.

I will be sure to point it out, next time, Emile.

1. profile image0

Feel free. Unfortunately, I think the problem is you are seeing yourself as Jesus so you assume any negative comments are directed at him. I don't see you as a representative of Jesus so no negative comments are leveled against him when I make them.

Genaea spotlight... aahhh...back to normal. wink

2. profile image0

I mean flawed as in subject to ALL of the same human weaknesses and temptations as everyone else. He had to eat, he had to sleep, he acted on his anger, he wept in his grief. These are human weaknesses...the things that keep us from being perfect, stoic, always on our game superhumans. He experienced fear, sadness, moments of doubt, irritation with his followers...."Could you not wait but one hour with me?"  "O, ye of little faith!"  Impatience..."How much longer must I endure...?"

You cannot deny that Jesus is God and yet reflect him to be some otherworldly flawless specimen of humanity.

I think you are misunderstanding me. Jesus is sinless....despite the flaws of being human.

He was "tempted" as we all are, yet, without sin. Perfect. This made him worthy to die for all of us. Perfect sacrifice.
        Emotion is not flaw. Right? "You can be angry, just don't sin." That's what the bible says.
        In the desert, with Satan, he was hungry, tired, alone, and probably very thirsty. Flaws???
        When he was approached, he held his ground. "Perfectly..."
        Genaea would've ate and be ruler of aaalll this... lol...

1. profile image0

Well, my last word on the subject is this: flaw is NOT synonymous with sin. I think that's where we're encountering the misunderstanding.

Not your last word, obviously, I seen your name down further. What the heck is that about? Conversation for understanding is needed. If you do not want to labor with us, ok...
            Flaw is not synonymous with emotion. THAT'S the misunderstanding.
            Flaw, is imperfect. Jesus embodies neither. He got mad and beat some people, but not because he just could not help himself. He is ruler of the church. Perfect ruler.
            God got mad and KILLED whole cities... flaw??? So God, too is flawed??? Wit his jealous self... ♡

1. profile image0

Before you get all annoyed, try reading everything I've posted. wink

But... I do consider jealousy a flaw. And genocide. That, however, is an entirely different discussion.

Annoyed? Stop it right there!!! I do not get "annoyed" with you at all. Really...!!!
                "Flies" annoy me, but my "swatter" has NEVER let me down. wink
                So, God, himself, has flaws, in your opinion??? "A hole that somehow compromises the integrity of our whole."???

1. profile image0

Nope, in my opinion, God has no flaws. But...here's where the chasm opens up for us...I don't think the Old Testament is an accurate, literal portrayal throughout of who God truly is.

o.O

*Edit-thanks for not wanting to "swat" me. smile

You're in... swatting is not allowed between us... we may only hope to get an understanding in all our getting. And, with gentleness and respect, tell of our reason... smile our junk gets heated, I know. But we are flawed and sometimes speak the wrong thing the wrong way at the wrong time. But Jesus can be depended on to have acted perfectly. He was a perfect representation of perfection. That's why we attempt to do as he... don't you agree???

2. profile image0

Funny, the bible says Jesus himself said that if you're tempted by your eyes to cut them out. As for the stories of Jesus being tempted while he was alone, all I can do is ask who was the witness to the temptation?

I don't see humans as being flawed myself. Nor do I see how your god could create anything with flaws. big_smile

1. profile image0

I would argue that humans are not without flaws. There are a good number of things we either cannot do or don't do very well that would be quite helpful. I look at those things as flaws.

As to what my God creates-I think you're thinking about the God others have presented to you as opposed to the one I actually believe in. wink

That said, I don't necessarily see flaws as problems so much as the chinks in the gears that other human beings fill  with their strengths. Make sense?

Well, we cannot fly without mechanical aids - is that a flaw? big_smile

A "flaw" is by definition and imperfection or "something wrong" so I don't see humans as flawed. big_smile

1. profile image0

To your first question, no. I don't see that as a flaw.

In terms of a flaw being a problem..is that really what it is? Or is it a hole that in some way compromises the integrity of our whole? In such a way, though, that we are now designed as such to need companionship from those who fill those holes?

How is that a flaw if we are designed that way?

1. profile image0

Hmm.

Now, to be honest, that's a question I've never considered. smile

I may have to say, then, that you are correct. Perhaps, as human beings, we are flawless...and what seems to us to be an imperfection may just be a magnet that draws to us those who possess greater strength in those areas than we do.

Hmm. All that considered, I take back the initial use of the word flawed. I will stand strongly with Emile, however, in saying that Jesus was entirely human and experienced EVERY human emotion.

Thanks for that. smile

My pleasure. smile

2. profile image0

He had a sore back as well? I wouldn't wish that on anyone. A sore back is not evidence of a poor design, it is however evidence of our evolution.

Don't forget... nor do you see my God.

Correct. I cannot see things that are not there. One of my many flaws. wink

You gotta put on yo right glasses, Babycakes... wink unflaw yourself... lol...

Sorry sweetie. No delusions for me. wink

Awww come on!!! What's one itty-bitty delusion amongst constant companions??? wink

2. profile image0

Ahhh, is that because your God is perfectly capable of producing flaws?

43. Cgenaea profile image59

Jesus said, there are demons among us...
    You say, bs (twice) and bogus, and no evidence.
    I think we're here... wink
    No respect for Jesus again???

1. profile image0

I've already addressed that. I respect Jesus. You apparently have no respect for my take on that.

I'm not dissing Jesus. I'm disagreeing with you. See the difference?

44. Cgenaea profile image59

No. I/he am/is saying what Jesus said... see, no difference?

1. profile image0

Argh. I understand where you are stuck genaea and I'm sorry you don't understand where I am coming from. I truly am. It would be OK to have a difference of opinion. The problem is the fact that you don't understand where I am coming from doesn't mean anymore than that. We don't see eye to eye. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that everyone who doesn't agree with your take on it is somehow separated from God and going to hell. I realize you don't understand what is wrong with that and, again, I'm very sorry you don't understand. Because I see this as evidence that you simply lost out on anything meaningful to be had from the text.

45. Cgenaea profile image59

Ok, Emile. I see where you are stuck...

46. Cgenaea profile image59

I personally see the same. I have always known you to be a tad rude (which is why we "fall out" so often). Because I know that language good too. wink
    The wit you display is not Godly, but "godly". The words come from you. They are very smart words; but no match for the Holy Spirit.
    Leanings toward one's own understanding are detrimental in the walk with Christ. For no matter how one respects him, he is on a different side of the fence when he denies what Jesus said.
    The spirit of this world boos and hisses at the sounds of the gospel of Christ (even the very elect...) It becomes evident when you hear the noises, who believes/respects what... the bible says it this way, "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."

47. Cgenaea profile image59

Unforgivable??? Don't you know that God can do anything?
    He will have mercy on whom he will, point blank.
    He will never jump into a box.
    His will is sent out. No way to be UNfulfilled.

Odd. At last we agree. The bible is lies. Thank you.

2. profile image0

So your version of God doesn't line up with what the bible says. The bible says he is jealous, kills babies, commits genocide, has a temper and will not forgive certain things.

Uh...move up a few pages to Jesus. He shows the clear picture.
        You've gone back to a time when God had very little mercy on sinners. He promised that that time will come again; after ALL have been given the offer.

There are a lot of men and women of God here in the forums and I'm thankful for them all. Sometimes it seems God has us "tag teaming" out here in the forums. To me right now, it's looking like a lot of willful mockery and blasphemy, and no open hearts, and I'm thinking I'll be "shaking the dust" at least for awhile and/or at least in this thread. But God leads us all differently at different times... Be strong in the Lord, Cgenaea, dear sister and friend. I love your passion and the uncompromising truth you speak!

1. profile image0

Do you mind if I puke now?

Jesus covers all bases. He will let you know when the towel must be thrown. smile
            You fight a good fight. Be encouraged. There will always be a battle to fight.

48. The Rebeldefect profile image61
    The Rebeldefectposted 9 years ago

I believe in Jesus, but having seen the corruption in the churches that I've been to, I believe it is best to worship Jesus in your own way and not be affiliated with a church. I have to stress that my judgements are purely based on the churches I've been to. I'm not saying that there exists no good Christians out there, but from what i see, that number is quite small.

My observation has been the same. I have attended hundreds of "churches" in my life. I have seen with my own eyes, the things that occur there.
      3/4 of them, would receive a whipping from Jesus himself, and the others, an award for best "show" of some "form of Godliness." One of my pastors complained every week about "STILL driving a FORD". "I WANT A JAGUAR!" He declared most Sundays. Once even complaining that the church MADE him ALMOST have to eat McDonald's for lunch. Because as their "leader" he deserves "double honor" which meant to him, double offering/tithes.
      Also, he sat on the altar,  one Sunday, and told the congregation, "I don't give a damn about what y'all think about m life, (he says again), I don't give a damn!!!" This was in response to the congregation's mild cooling concerning his divorce from his wife of many years, to marry the church Secretary. And yes, he had an entire "book/taped sermon" store with mugs and other stuffs for sale, just outside the church sanctuary.
      This is my worst case scenario, but this is the face of the modern-day churches that I have visited. In my life, there have been hundreds.
      I think God quit going to church too!!! wink

What is new?

Jomine... I didn't notice that this was your post for a long time. Lol...
          Nothing is really new. The church has not been good to me. More often than not, the word is transformed into an ATM machine... Perpetually...
          Bible says, "Come away from them..." Not ALL churches, but the great majority.

1. profile image0

One needs to understand that it's business with a tax exemption. Nothing more.

Unfortunately, you speak the truth. wink

Not entirely true. Although the tax exemption is a fact, and yes, many churches (Catholic and Protestant and Pentecostal and what have you) DO treat it like a business, a great many leaders of these churches still try to serve their congregations and even the larger population in a way that conforms and even promotes their faith. Sometimes you will find both kinds of people within the same church. These churches are often having mini-wars within themselves that turn outsiders off.

I've sat under quite a few preachers and the best one I ever sat under was a man to whom God was absolutely as real as the air that you breath. He had his flaws, to be sure, but he strove every day to overcome them and be the best leader according to what Jesus would want that he could be. I've also sat under guys who, I'm pretty sure, felt a calling at one time but their temperament was not well-suited to the difficult job of being a pastor. Or they had started out or been seduced by the Joel Osteen model, thinking that if they gave happy-talk, "Live your best life now" crap every week that the money would pour in. And yes, they equated a lot of people and a lot of money (which they would sincerely tell you they thought of as a way to do more ministry and outreach, feeding the poor and everything) as a sign of God's blessing.

I'm with Paul Washer. Show me a guy who has faithfully served a small church of 50 people for 30 years, where there's no money and times are hard, and I'll show you a Godly man.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
                PhoenixVposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In my 50 years of life that is all I have seen where I live - a guy who has faithfully served a small church of 50 people for 30 years, where there's no money and times are hard. Where the electric bill is payed out of the pockets of a few and everyone else helps with their tithes and food and clothes drives. Prosperity/teachings/mega churches and TBN does not represent 300, 000 + protestant churches alone.

There are the few who are as God requires. But that was the point. Just a few...
                  Jesus said that there would only be a few. No surprise...
                  Thanks for inserting hope for the institution. It is a joy to hear thar ALL is not lost. People do need a place to learn.

Hi Cgenaea it is good to see you smile People are human beings even ones that go to Church and they do the best they can. I guess its flattering that some hold Christians to a higher standard and is very telling. I hope that all is well with you today.

Amen!

Yea, LOL you become a Pastor at the average Church you have hit the big time! Your boat has come in! lmao

2. profile image0

But, still a man making a living off his business. If he's got a full time job during the week then I'm with you.

It was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be.

2. profile image0

Those do exist. smile One of the most kind, godly, compassionate, and devoted pastors I ever knew worked 60 hours a week as my general manager at Kinkos, raised a wonderful family, and pastored a small (100 or so members) church the rest of the time...and no one in his congregation ever felt like an afterthought.

*And his job paid his bills...and the occasional bill for the church as well.

1. profile image0

Should be more like him.

Yeah, that's what it's like for a the majority of pastors.

3. Chris Neal profile image79

What in the world makes you think that being the head of a church is NOT a full-time job? Again, some do it differently than others, but the ones I respect get ONE day off a week (usually Monday) and their day is not nine-to-five. Writing a sermon is hard work. They visit the sick, oversee the committees, talk to people (every day, all day if they allowed it,) work with the budget committee (which sometimes consists of them and one or two elders) and a thousand other things. My brother in law has been a pastor and I have a friend who's been a pastor and I know it's a time-consuming job. And in the majority of Protestant churches, the pay is so rich that if they didn't have additional employment they and their families would starve. Any pastor or preacher who's only working one day a week will not last very long at all in the job.

I have actually seen a previous pastor and his wife getting a jump start and a push in their old yugo because they were moving on. The same Pastor and wife that gave all they had and everyone else to provide among many things food to poor people, kids, homeless, non-believers and drug addicts.

2. profile image0

Right, then it's a tax free for profit business.

3. Cgenaea profile image59

My granddad was one pastor whom I believed was pure in heart with noble intentions. He owned a gas station too. And he was a full-time pastor with a very small, well-cared-for congregation. But again, only a handful of pastors. I bet we each may think of many many more who just do not pass the test. However, that is God's business.

2. The Rebeldefect profile image61
        The Rebeldefectposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad to have someone who agrees with me! smile

Wholeheartedly! I've traveled different spots in the U.S. for services, and have found similarities. My home is Chicago. Church has been a rough situation for me too. But the holy spirit reminds me, nevertheless.

49. profile image0

Phoenix, I'm not afraid to be lumped in with anyone, especially not good friends or my Christian family. But it would be dishonest to spar with you over something just for fun when it's something very important to me. As to me and Rad both being Catholic, it might have occurred to you that he is an atheist and obviously we have vastly differing views on Catholicism since I am indeed a believer.

Now, I give non answers to people regarding biblical interpretations only if I truly believe their desire is to belittle or demean my faith walk or chosen denomination if I chose to give answers. You've made clear your disdain for Catholicism, and have a much more literal interpretation of the OT than I do, so I choose not to defend myself against my chosen expression of faith because there is no reason I should have to do so.

I dont think Rad calling your god a supporter of slavery is too funny, so no its not just for fun. I am interested in your answer to him and nothing more. As a Christian I am always interested in another Christians beliefs, if they have apologetics or they dont use apologetics, the reason for their beliefs, and if they will defend God or not. Its serious business to me at all times. Also I dont think I disdain Catholicism any more than you disdain Protestantism. I was sincerely interested in your answer. You dont have to make up reasons or make up intents on my part that you cannot possibly know. Its just that you dont want to answer. And I understand.

1. profile image0

Nah, not that I don't want to answer. Perhaps I just didn't really understand what you were asking. I do not believe in a literal interpretation of all of the OT. I do not believe that my entirely loving, just, and merciful God supports slavery in any way in any time. Rad knows that. Another thing is that when he discusses this issue, it is an attempt to make people rethink THEIR literal interpretation. IF the words are interpreted literally, and God gave laws to govern slavery, then it would follow that he supports and condones it. If he does not, by Rad's logic, the words are either not of God because A) there is no God, or B) the OT was written by men to subjugate women and slaves by making them think those things were ordained by God.

You do not believe that an entirely loving, just, and merciful God supports slavery in any way in any time.

Then if not a literal interpretation what is your symbolic interpretation?

45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.

46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

Also what about the children of Israel? Did they walk around scratching their heads wondering if it was literal or symbolic, in your opinion?

1. profile image0

Sorry! Missed this one. I guarantee that they did...you do know how many competing Jewish sects there were when Jesus came, right? Why he was so hard on the Pharisees about their letter of the law interpretation - for everyone else but themselves - that kept common Jews from being truly allowed to know and approach God?

2. profile image0

I believe the Bible is inspired by, not authored by, God.

I believe many of the stories and laws in the OT were written by men, who, while good men, were men of their time. They took actions, and then made laws to justify their actions to those who might have found them unacceptable by claiming divine right.

I don't believe for a second that God would ever command an army to rip unborn children from the wombs of their mothers to be dashed against rocks...in order that his people might take possession of land he's promised them.

Well this seems a different stance than it being literal or symbolic. Is this the explanation you are settling on?

2. PhoenixV profile image63

Like this?

How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?

1. profile image0

Yes. Something like this.

Exactly like that, at least for me and who am I to argue with scripture?

1. profile image0

Now...my opinions and interpretation do not lessen my love for it or devotion to it...but I do not worship it. I don't believe we were intended to. smile

Is that what he is doing? Has he said that to you?

1. profile image0

That's exactly what he's doing. And he has said that to me. And to others, but usually to people who just want to think he hates a God he doesn't believe in.

Rad, I hope you're not offended by my speaking for you.

1. profile image0

You do a much better job speaking for me than I do. Sorry to have dragged you into that mess. It is a fascinating mess though, isn't it. Some claim to take every word in the bible literally, until you show them what's in the bible. Then they claim that it's not the correct interpretation unless you tell them they shouldn't take it literally, in which case they will produce scripture that shows that God wanted people to have slaves and murder babies. They will then tell you that their God is a loving, forgiving God.

Not all words of the bible can be interpreted literally. But that is where the FREE holy spirit comes in... that spirit helps in the proper division of the words. It enables us to know that which is good (according to the holy spirit; not we ourselves). When we add our sentiments to scripture, we fall off of proper division. We edit the uneditable spirit of God... is he now wrong because you do not agree??? I think not... he said follow me. Not, think about it, and see if my words fit what you like and consider lovely. Poor girl who feels that she thinks better than Christ himself, will be enlightened, one day...

1. profile image0

One doesn't have to think they can think better than any God, but one should think they can think better than some slave owning goat herders. I know better than to kill disobedient boys and promiscuous girls, do you? Of course you do, now be honest and admit to it.

My Jesus didn't allow me to even stone a promiscuous woman, caught red-handed. smile
                    My God allowed me to know that if we kill for sin, all would be dead. Me too...
                    All I may hope to do is stay on the path behind him. He is DEFINITELY going the right way.  And when I see a short-cut (no matter how scenic, sweet-smelling, or short) I will not call him over to now follow me...

2. profile image0

Yes, I have.

3. profile image0

Wow, I don't even need to be here.

1. profile image0

Please don't go!! Lol

I'm often surprised that when you discuss this issue, people don't seem to get what you're trying to do.

2. profile image0

Oh, and I don't hold any disdain for Protestantism or really any mainstream Christian denominations. My mother was a Methodist, and the woman who helped lead me to The Lord is a Foursquare Pentecostal. smile

Yea I from a long line of Methodist, some kinda famous and I have Catholic friends.

When I wrote this:  But I have known Catholics and their families and they empty out their cupboards for food for the poor and empty out their closets for clothes for the poor. Did your forget or just not see it?

1. profile image0

I did see it. I think I had a knee jerk reaction about the first half of the post. I'm sorry about that. smile And, I've known it to be true as well.

I'm the King of Knee Jerk so dont feel alone.

Now it seems you are saying that it is in fact literal, its just that its being hijacked by men, something like that? And I speculate maybe God is using it in a symbolic way maybe? Just trying to clarify, nothing more.

1. profile image0

I'm saying.....that I believe much of what is recorded did actually happen (not in all books, but some), but that it was painted by men to be God's will or order to cover their failings. Does that make sense?

50. Cgenaea profile image59

What does all scripture is God breathed mean???
    I understand that to mean that it is from God. Could i be mistaken? Is God breathed ever equivalent to faulty?
    How do we trust that Jesus was sent by God at all? The same people we edit on other parts of scriprure, wrote that too...
    To be clear, I have never worshipped a bible. But I trust it to lead me, and check my thoughts about spiritual things.
    How can I trust it to do what it says, if I cannot trust what it says???
    *My thoughts...

1. profile image0

Inspired. Not authored. Not faulty unless it is taken as infallible and inerrant while possessing contradictions that remain that way even when taken in context.

But we've been round this block before, and I like you guys way too much to want to wind up in an antagonistic conversation. None of this from me is new to either you or Beth.

Night, ladies! big_smile

Hopefully before you go, i'd like to say that I will forever be able to tell of my position in Christ with kindness and respect.  Antagonism enters when defense does.
        I have no feeling that anyone here can make me to feel offended by questions concerning the faith that I have, or my ways of living that out.
        I feel that if I feel offended by either questions or my response, I will look at that from all angles.
        I really want to be ready when Jesus comes and if you have knowledge that could help me understand bs scriptures to avoid, i'd really like to hear it.
        For a long time, I have been mindful to not add or subtract from it. It says woe to them who do, or something like that.

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

There is nothing wrong or faulty with the Word of God. Cgenaea, If you or I were to misspell every word we wrote, we would still know what we were saying to each other.  The fault is the stony ground or the birds that devour it.

See, my thing is, the bible says that Jesus' instruction was, "Learn of me." We can't do that with shabby books. Nearly impossible. Simply because our minds are tricky. We can lead ourselves into belief about anything we put our minds to.
        The word of God HAD to be written. It is the way we check the spirit.  The spirit within, can feel quite self-confident and puff past God. It is REALLY easy to do, when we edit what he said. It edits the spirit he intended.
        Lean not unto your own understanding. No matter how well thought out. There is a reason he told us that...
        Oh!!! But wait!  Can we trust that he said that???
        Oh the confusion that may ensue...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)