Long term lesbian couples share same inheritance rights as straight?

1. Astra Nomik profile image72
    Astra Nomikposted 6 years ago

If a lesbian couple are living together for a long time or over the long term, like maybe for life - should they be entitled to the same Inheritance Rights as straight couples or even Married Couples? Should the rules be the same? Let me know your opinions?

1. Crazywriterchik profile image73
      Crazywriterchikposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This has been a much debated question. Why should they not be entitled to the same inheritance rights? They lived together for many years and built a life together just as any Hetero couple who have been together for years has done. Some have even raised children together.

Then again I also believe that gay marriage should be legalized and find it quite irritating that it's not. Statistically (please don't ask me what those stats are exactly because I have no idea) speaking most Homosexual couples last a lot longer that heterosexual. Although that's not what this topic is about.

So I say yes. Lesbians; Gays; Bisexuals and Trangendered couples should all have the same inheritance rights as any "normal" Hetero couple. We are people too therefore we should have the same rights as any hetero person.

1. Astra Nomik profile image72
        Astra Nomikposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think that the rights should be the same. I am in a relationship with a woman (she writes in Hub Pages too) and together over a year. We see ourselves as as being a very long-term couple. The rights here in UK are very good now, and almost the same. I wrote the question as I have friends in USA and other countries who are not as lucky.

The kids issue is interesting, I would like to have kids some day. I'm too young now, need to live a bit first. Plus I'm a big kid anyway. LOL.

You have interesting views here. Thanks for this.