Who can beat my score? Bible Quiz

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Sapper profile image63
    Sapperposted 11 years ago

http://ffrf.org/legacy/quiz/bquiz.php

I got a 39 our of 50, not great but destroyed the average score. Obviously need to re-read some parts of the bible.

Is the quiz a little biased? Yes and no. Yes because it does emphasize some of the more messed up parts of the bible, no because messed up or not, they are in there. I posted this on my Facebook but didn't get many responses. Mostly because after years of telling all the religious people on there I know more about the bible then they do, they didn't want me to prove I'm right. Or at least that's what I tell myself. How many of you can beat my score?

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have better things to do than memorize a collection of fictional stories. Get a life.

2. Benjamin777 profile image59
    Benjamin777posted 11 years ago

18 out of 50.  A lot of obscure factoids.  Where were the questions like "_____ slayed Goliath", and "How many animals of each type were on the Ark?".  Need to dust off the Bible and brush up a bit.....

3. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

18/50. Hahaha, and I did it with the help of my roommates, and we go to a religious school. tongue Oops. Reading through the correct answers and explanations though, it seems like they were meant to trip you up. I do feel like the website has inherent bias though, and that plays into the quiz. Oh well. It was interesting nonetheless.

Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a pretty biased quiz, and I did kind of cheat. Knowing where the quiz was, and reading enough to both books to know where they were they were going with the questions, I picked the most messed up answer. Unfortunately, when it comes to the bibles, that's usually the way to go.

4. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

Seeing that it was written by the Freedom FROM Religion Foundation, I guessed the most heinous answer when I didn't know.  I got 26 out of 50, mostly by guessing judiciously.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I didn't do too badly. I didn't cheat. Just when straight through, clicking the first answer I thought it was.

This test reminds me of the show 'Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader'.
    Regurgitating facts doesn't necessarily mean you understood the ultimate reason for the lesson. Knowledge and understanding are two separate things. I wouldn't be too quick to gloat.

Oh I understand the bibles. Two books, thousands of pages, all to "teach" you when in doubt stone someone and women should know their place and STFU.

It is like that game, except it would be call Do you know the bible better than an atheist. Which I'd be willing to bet, most don't.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Because most Christians I've run across haven't read the Bible. I don't know that they are encouraged to. I could be wrong. But, I don't see the Bible as a  unified book. I think it is clear, to me at least. I think of the teachings of Jesus as a stand alone message. They end the foolishness of the old testament by making it clear why the laws were first created and subsequently perverted. Everything past the gospels, and portions of the gospels are clearly more perversion.

The message was simple. Love God, love your neighbor and accept that the rest, if it doesn't boil down to that, is BS.

While I will agree that the new testament isn't nearly as messed up, for lack of a better term, as the old, the message is far from love everyone.

Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 10:34–39 NASB)

Nothing in that says love. That, no matter how you try to interpret that, says F everyone. How can anyone honestly read something like that, then think "This is a good book. We should teach our kids this crap"

1. JMcFarland profile image69
            JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know several people who would hold to the assertion that the new testament is worse.  Firstly, it introduces hell.  Secondly, it mandates that a human sacrifice creates a loophole so no one is ultimately responsible for their actions.  For example, a man can assault, torture and kill a woman who doesn't believe.  She goes to hell.  Meanwhile, he had a deathbed conversion and goes to heaven.  Its unjust and immoral.

Becoming the fact that a god claiming to be omniscient has to resort to sending himself to earth in order to sacrifice himself to himself to appease himself, just so he can forgive his creation for breaking the laws he put into place is just patently absurd.

Exactly, people act like the new testament is somehow better then the old, but it's just as bad, if not worse. It just replaces stoning everyone that moves with treating them like crap.

2. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I certainly wouldn't teach my kids the crap you interpret. I didn't teach my kids anything from a spiritual standpoint other than that everyone is of equal value in the universe and everything in the universe is of a value we can't fathom in our ego driven lives.

As I stated in the beginning, nit noid facts are easily remembered, but remembered facts are not necessarily useful until you understand how they work in real life.  You can't arbitrarily assume that you have strung them together to find a universal truth.

I wouldn't argue that the Bible isn't a bloody, hate filled book with many parts not fit for the eyes of a child. So is any honest history book. We are capable of looking at the past and learning from it. But we have to find your touchstone, in order to stay centered while you learn. Hate and derision makes for an unhealthy benchmark to hold fast to. I wouldn't have my children inherit that.

The truth they were taught is the simple commandments that were said to fulfill all of the laws. Respect the universe and all within it. That is the message worthy of having been found in the Bible and all the rest of the text is used to ignore it because, quite honestly, our egos can't stand that message.

I stopped reading at the word interpret. That's reading it word for word, not implying anything. There is nothing to imply about "jesus" telling you to love him more than your parents/children. Awesome family values right there.

Pull your head out of the sand.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

28/50 -- not bad for an atheist.  And knowing the facts may not be everything, but it would be a fine start--right?  I don't think you can say knowing the Bible is worse than not knowing it, no matter who you are.

7. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

28/50. Biased I think because many of the website's interpretations appear to be heavily influenced by the prevailing interpretations of the American evangelical Church.

I sent it to my Father-in-law who will not tolerate liberal interpretations of the bible. Blue touch paper and all that.

1. A Thousand Words profile image68
      A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

8. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

39 for me.

I was brought up Roman Catholic and now consider myself pagan.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And we have a winner!

9. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

20, pitiful. Religious Studies was one of my favourite classes at school, but to be honest I enjoyed the discussions about euthanasia, drug addiction and prostitution, clearly I completely missed the main focus of the lessons!

10. A Thousand Words profile image68
    A Thousand Wordsposted 11 years ago

I got 29 out of 50. Not too shabby. I was surprisingly surprised by some of what I got wrong.

11. JMcFarland profile image69
    JMcFarlandposted 11 years ago

I just got a 39.  Although, I am an atheist, and my christian pastor friend only got a 20.  Funny, that.

Seems about par for the course.

12. tandaa profile image59
    tandaaposted 11 years ago

U certainly beat me!

13. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

46/50. I guess I remembered most of this from childhood. My dad was a Biblical scholar.

Impressive. I figured at least a few would beat my score, but I was expecting more of a 41 or 42.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)