Judgements

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

They're interesting don't you think?

One neighbor might judge us on the kindnesses we bestow while others might judge us on the length of our grass.

We might be judged here based on our posts though it is usually the tone that is inferred, which changes from person to person based on their own perceptions.

Our own family members might judge us differently due to personal memories which vary from person to person.

What qualifies us to judge and do we judge based on how we were raised or our own outlook on life? Should we judge others? What circumstances make it ok and what if we are incorrect?

Also, I am curious to see what heading they "file" this post under.

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I think it depends on the context.  Everyone at every moment judges things based on past experience, it is how we learn and how we assimilate new information.  Being judgmental is a different story. This is where mindfulness comes in.  We can and do, judge things based on a glance, but what matters is if we hold onto that judgment as concrete, or if we open our minds to changing that initial judgment.  I believe being open-minded and willing to let the past stay in the past keeps us from being judgmental in ways that undermine or are harmful. 

For example, I had an abusive boyfriend in my past.  I could have judged every future guy based on those perceptions.  It would have been understandable perhaps, but it wouldn't have been helpful.  If we color everything from a place of judgment we miss out on opportunities to grow.  I had to consciously decide to let that go whenever evaluating potential future partners. The result was I was able to let go of my defenses enough to open up and trust and find a great partner. 

Judgment itself is not bad - it's what we do with it after that first reaction.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mmmm. So making judgements is necessary, but being judgmental is not. Good thoughts.

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Interesting subject to post, Beth37, as we know a lot of that goes on daily, even in our beloved HP community. smile We can't help ourselves as human beings to judge each other. I'm intrigued by the subject and wrote a poem hub about it. What qualifies us to judge? The fact that we are human. It's in our nature.

I think when judging another person turns into envy, contempt, resentment, gossip, feelings of prejudice, or, as they say on the street, "hatin' and grittin' " then it needs to stop.

1. profile image0

Very interesting Jan.

As a Christian, do you think it is different to discern than to judge?

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

IMO, discernment involves using your head, putting on your thinking cap, weighing pros and cons, using your objectivity, while looking at all sides. Judging involves emotion, your gut, your heart, all of which is influenced by beliefs and values, therefore, very subjective. Just sayin' . . .

1. profile image0

Yes, I agree... judgement is very subjective to our upbringing, to our current circumstance and to basic opinion. It's weird isn't it, how many opinions there are in this world. I mean, there must be one per person in a way... so there are over 6 billion opinions. Yet, it's funny how many of those opinions we let influence us.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The word "judgement" seems to have a negative connotation even though it is on par with the terms "discernment" and "discretion"-- after all, we can say that a person who avoids negative situations shows "good judgement".

1. profile image0

A judge is a position of honor, but making oneself "judge and jury" is considered dangerous. So what is the qualifier?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
              Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it is objectivity-- or at least having a larger view.
              One person does not constitute a jury. A judge may be able to view a situation with objectivity, but when a jury with several individual viewpoints  can reach a consensus , it provides a better chance to achieve objectivity.
              Now you are making me think, and I don't want to think right now.

1. profile image0

lol.. sorry. Very interesting points of view though.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I have a neighbor whose dog yaps over 16 hours a day. My judgement is why would someone want such a hate-filled creature in their home.

1. profile image0

lol.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Given that barking is just talking in dog language, one could make the same comment about most of the users of this forum.

1. profile image0

lol

2. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most dogs don't bark nearly as much as we talk, they communicate primarily with body language. I imagine they must wonder why we talk so much. My dog seems to understand about half of the things we say, so sometimes we have to spell stuff out, but when we start spelling he gets excited because he knows we are talking about him.

5. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 10 years ago

I believe it is labels that disrupt society.  Whether self imposed or brought upon by others, believing in labels hinders active societal communications.  Example:  If a child is labeled as a fat kid, and cannot overcome that label, that individual may struggle with their weight for the rest of their life.  Not because it is true, but that they believe it to be true.  Bad at math, bad speller, shy kid,  etc....

People will allow themselves to be labeled Republican or Democrat and then defend that belief through the course of their lives.  Even if the party completely disregards their individual belief system, they will defend it because that is what they believe they are.

1. profile image0

But what if they are... overweight, bad at math, democrat, republican... which of those things harms us? Which of those things keeps us from showing mercy or receiving mercy from them? Is it a lack of humility on the part of the person who judges? Which of us are without weakness or strengths?

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is within the individual themselves.  By believing the labels that are imposed on them, they have an excuse to not attempt to change.  Their mind closes to outside possibilities.  I have a family member that cannot read.  I have offered many times to teach him, but his mind is closed to the possibility that he is capable of learning.  This is absurd.  All power lies within the individual.  Change your mind, change the world.

As far as politics many just submit to what has been taught to them without any critical thinking.  Almost like they have been trained to root for their favorite sports team.  Win, lose, or draw, they support their side without question.

1. profile image0

This is lovely. smile

6. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 10 years ago

I just wrote about judging. Its quite selfish if you stop and think about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)