Debate: Atheist vs Christian

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 10 years ago
    1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting responses from both sides. Neither of them 'won' any points, or persuaded anyone one way or another. However, I was pleased with the Cardinals refreshingly moderate and balanced view of life after death, with respect to the Catholic stance on the fate of athiests. Such a relief from the black and white oppressive evangelical stance that fails to consider the logical , in religious terms, fallacy of their position. For all the faults of Catholicism, it at least is able to provide reasoned answers as to why they believe what they do even if we disagree.

I thought Richard Dawkins presented himself very well and made nurmerous valid aarguments.

Both sides were coming from different realms with very little overlap in the Ven Diagram of positions. Had the show put up some American TV evangelist creationist then Richard Dawkins would have wiped the floor with him.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but the Cardinal/archbishop's (don't remember what he was) response about what happens with the body and soul and the host and wine was interesting as well as his insistence that we evolved from neanderthals. I rather enjoyed the way he attempted to school a professor of evolutionary biology on evolutionary biology.

If you at all have the time I strongly recommend this one.
        http://youtu.be/-AS6rQtiEh8

Yes the response about body soul host and wine is the standard Catholic view, but in their reasoning I suppose, short of cutting somebody open we would never know if the sacrament becomes the literal blood and body. That's not to say that every Catholic holds this position, but seeing as he is a Cardinal, he must publicly support this position even if he believes something different in private.

I did smile about the 'descending from Neaderthals', but that was purely out of his ignorance of the details. I think the gist of his view is that man evolving from some non-homosapien ancestor is not incompatible with Christian belief, and if that was what science shows us to be then so be it.

1. profile image0

I can't tell you how many times I've heard about the bread turning into the body. I was raised as a Catholic, went to a Catholic school, married a Catholic and raised my kids as Catholics including all the sacraments. But in all that time I've never heard that our bodies go to heaven with us. I have heard in these forms from time to time, but never from the Catholic church. I suppose we should stop cremating.

1. profile image0
              Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Rad, for a long time, the RCC did not allow cremation.  It's a fairly recent development that they allow for cremation.  smile

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

I watched it up to the point where Dawkins said the question of why is a silly question.

1. profile image0

But the why is a silly question. Actually religion's answer to why is even more silly than the question.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Man has asked why since he began to document his thoughts. It's OK to think it is a silly question, but I do question why someone who can't fathom the question would not take the time to understand why others don't perceive it as a silly question prior to entering a debate. When he stated that, I lost interest in his point of view on the matter. I already didn't harbor a great deal of interest in what the cardinal was going to say, so I stopped watching. Now, you are probably thinking I should have continued to listen, because I might have learned something. This might be true, but the lack of respect for the collective musings of humanity over the centuries put me off just a bit.

1. profile image0

Then why are we here?

1. profile image0

Who the heck knows? However, we are more unique than you have been willing to concede in previous discussions. The fact that we have a long history of writing about it, discussing it, debating it and pondering it leads me to believe that there is merit to the question; to us as a species.

1. profile image0

You have no idea how to answer that question, but feel it's a valid question.
              It's rather like asking why is the sun here.
              So when Richard was asked why and replied it was a silly question you turned it off because you felt it's a valid question that you yourself have no way of answering.
              We are at the outer edge of one of billions of galaxies each with billions of stars and planets. Why are we here, what purpose does humanity have to our universe?

1. profile image0

See, that's the type of attitude I find a turn off. You do realize that we study many, many things which we don't have the answer to. Why do we do it? If we don't know the answer, you say the question is invalid? Seriously?

I don't experience 'no way of answering' the question. The point is that no one has a definitive answer to the question. This does not invalidate the question.

Perhaps, there is no reason for us, specifically, to be here. Yet we, as all else, are here. That, in and of itself, is fascinating to me. That we are here in the first place. Now, I know people who find it pointless to ponder the unponderable. I say, whatever floats your boat; but, I should be able to float my own with the same amount of consideration I am willing to extend.

1. profile image0

So, stating that a question that no one can possibly have a valid answer to is silly bothers you. Should he have entertained the question?

Let's see, I'll give it a go. We are here on the third rock from the sun on the outer edge of one of billions of galaxies to look after this planet that in no way effects anything outside our planet?

1. profile image0

Well, if all things are connected (and I believe one atheist poster in another forum says that is a scientific fact) I would think our 'stewardship' (if we really are stewards. But, I think we give ourselves way too much credit on that count) does matter to some degree.

2. wilderness profile image95
                  wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We study things that we don't have an answer to, yes.

We do NOT "study" things that we cannot provide an answer to.  At most, we discuss them in the philosophical sense, a sense which precludes there being an answer that correlates with reality.  Any answer available will only be a philosophical one, unreal outside the mind of man.

Perhaps there is a reason, perhaps not.  Either way WE cannot produce that reason.  Only the intelligence that made the reason - if you want and answer to the "why we are here" you will have to ask the god that made the "why", not man and not the universe we occupy.

1. profile image0

The god that made the why? Maybe, we are just coming into the conversation from different angles. Why we are here is simply how the devil did it all happen. How did point A come to be and how have we arrived here. At point B. Those questions can be answered, and will be answered at some point in time. You can respond with evolution. I say, that isn't a complete answer to the question. Not at our current level of understanding. Someone else can say we were created. Not a complete answer to the question. Not with our current level of understanding.

Ex nihilo is an acceptable explanation for a theist, as to where God came from. It appears to be an acceptable explanation to some others, as to how the universe came to be. It doesn't really cut it, for me. We will continue to search, discover and put the pieces of the puzzle together so that at some point, in the future, we will know the hows and whys. This doesn't imply that we will find a purpose, or even a happy place. It simply means we will have more information about the universe, which we are a product of.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image54
                  EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If we base the answer on what science understands about the world, then the answer would be, "We are just here", which is the point as to why the question is not really valid.

1. profile image0

I don't usually let a current level of knowledge prohibit the assumption that there is more to learn. I am in no way stating that I think we are somehow special, above any other life form, ultimately destined for some cosmic greatness or anything in particular. I am simply saying that life is more than we currently understand and questions are valid, until they are proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to be invalid.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

- The question is, do *you* know why you are here?
            - We are looking for the Keymaker.
            - Oh, yes. It is true. The Keymaker. Of course. But this is not a reason. This is not a "why". The Keymaker himself - his very nature is a means. It is not an end. And so to look for him is to be looking for a means to do... what? You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

- What is the reason? Soon the why and the reason are gone and all that matters is the feeling. This is the nature of the universe. We struggle against it, we fight to deny it; but it is of course a lie. Beneath our poised appearance we are completely out of control.
            - Where are you going?
            - Please, ma cherie. I have told you. We are all victims of causality. I drank too much wine, I must take a piss. Cause and effect.

1. profile image0

Right, what are individual purposes are is a valid question, what the purpose for humanity is not.

I heard Christians state time and time again that the primary purpose of mankind was to worship God, but I never once found this claim in the bible. Mankind just is, and it is in mankind's nature to ask why. As to just why it is in our nature to ask why, who knows, it is just is.

1. profile image0

We can ask ourselves why are we here, but asking another in a public and expecting an answer is something entirely different and rather silly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)