Does God Need You or Do You Need God?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (79 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

This is a question I have often wondered about. I was raised with a lot of exposure to different religions (mostly Jewish and different variations of Christianity). I would sometimes get the impression from religious teachings that we would be punished by God for not engaging in their worship rituals regardless of the values we live by and the life choices we make. I could not sit comfortably with believing in a God that needs me to worship in a certain way, implying what a low self esteem or some kind of weakness? It seems to me very arrogant to think God needs me in any way. I have come to the conclusion that for me at least it is actually the other way round, God does not need me, I need God. Believing in God gives me a friend who is always there, a feeling of safety and belonging.

1. sooner than later profile image60
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

we were created in the image of God and for companionship. He wants us as well, but does he need us? No, I do not believe that he needs us.

Its like, do I need a puppy? no, I like puppies because they are cute- but then they crap in the house, chew the remote, pee on the carpet, unravle the tp and so on.

1. atomswifey profile image56
        atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL you are too funny lol

2. kawendie profile image61
        kawendieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe that God views us in the way we view or children.  Did I "need" children.  No I choose to have them but I have needs of them.  Proper behavior, polite manners etc.  It's by the grace of god that I live, worshiping him for me is not about the nuances of some religions but about my faith in him.  Does god need us?  He needs us to love and have faith in him through his son Jesus Christ.

1. TimTurner profile image69
          TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok so you believe that all religions god is the same god?  I'm just asking.

1. kawendie profile image61
            kawendieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think different religions use different names and worship in different ways.  Is god the same god in all religions? you tell me. I have heard god refered to in many different ways and I believe he hears and loves us all.  I used the wording "have faith in him through his son Jesus Christ." based on my personal belief which is actually tied to life experiences, not a particular religion.

Thanks for asking.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are god, "The Kingdom of god is within" Jesus

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seems I sparked up a good one. I have to say this post was the one that made me smile. I would like to add something I heard once that is supposed to be from the bible (?)
        "when 2 people gather in MY name that is CHURCH"
        Would it be uplifting for those spiritual folks out there interested relationships with God to think that by participating in a forum like this one in a respectful and inquisitive way it could be thought of as 'church'. What exactly church is I think is a topic from a new forum post!

2. atomswifey profile image56
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

I do not believe that God "needs" us. He loves us and in having that love for us He wants us to love Him back.

We however do need Him very much as He is our soul support. smile

Amen

2. Evolution Guy profile image58
      Evolution Guyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Will He punish us if we don't love Him back?

Would not believing in Him mean we don't love Him back?

How bad should we love Him back? If I kneel down to show Him how much I love Him - will that be enough?

3. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

God needs followers, otherwise, he doesn't exist.

All religions need followers.  If no one follows them, then the religion doesn't exist.

It's pretty simple.  God, Mohammed, Buddha, Krishna or whoever you believe simply wouldn't exist without you believing.

4. sooner than later profile image60
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

you wouldn't exist without God you meen.

If that's what you believe, then yes.

But that is not what I believe.  And why is your god better than the ones that came 1,000s of years before the christian god?

Christianity is one of the new religions as it's only 1,500 years old as we know it today.  A man named Jesus was born in 5BC and was a spiritual person.  But christianity as we know it wasn't created until around 500 AD.  So your god came to be because of followers 1,500 years ago.

But there were other gods thousands of years before the christian god.

So which god made me, exactly?

1. John Z profile image70
        John Zposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is true that Christianity as we know it is 1500 years or so old.  However, belief in Christ is closer to 1980 years, and belief in His Father God stretches back to the garden of Eden (whatever form that really took), so that would make belief in the same God older than even the Babylonian Religion.  So, while the religion is young, the belief system it springs from is not.

But there is no proof of a garden of eden so you can't take it back "that far."   You can only take it back as far as the artifacts take it back to.

There is plenty of evidence of a spiritual leader of a man named Jesus but nothing before he was born.  Again, everything before him is based on faith which means there will never be physical proof.

Take Buddhism.  There is physical evidence dating back over 5,000 years of that religion.  So we know it existed back then.  But there is nothing in christianity that dates back more than 2,000 years.

1. John Z profile image70
            John Zposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.  The artifacts from the Jewish faith date back to Ur of the Chaldees.  Therefore, we have evidence of faith in the same God that Christ pointed to.  This, in my mind, makes for an evolution to a new covenant with the same God a continuation of the same faith. 

As a point of order, when discussing religion and God, we are discussing two different subjects.  It was the most pious religion of the day (Pharisees and Saducees in the form of the Sanhedrin Council) that joined forces with the political arm of power in the Jewish nation ( the Roman Government vis a vis Pilate) that condemned Jesus to death by crucifixion.  therefore this would put religion and politics in direct conflict with God.  Just a thought.

2. sooner than later profile image60

you make strange arguments. Evolution which you believe is 200 years old +/-

"Christianity" was named such by the Romans as early as 34 AD. That shows how fast followers of Jesus Christ grew. so a squeeze older than 1500 years.

Age is not the issue. We beleive in the same God as the Jews who are 4200 years +/-.

There is no older God to any other religion known. Please don't say something like egyptian gods. I will have to remind you that Gods people lived in Egypt for many years.

Eastern religions are way older than 4200 years.  And I like how you dismiss the Egyptian gods.

You believe in your god like they do theirs.

But who cares what god is right  haha  We are all here, we came from nothing (no matter what you believe) and we make our own choices.

Whatever makes you feel better about death (afterlife or not), then fine.  No need to ridicule other beliefs or gods.

2. TimTurner profile image69

Evolution has been around waaaaay longer than christianity smile

1. profile image0
            thetruthhurts2009posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seriously?

5. My Friend Shiyloh profile image61
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

Love is needless and cannot be moved away from it's place of love.
    We need love to live right or we live in torment.
    Love is correcting to all things not done in love.
    Love honors your choice to reject love.
    If one rejects love they chose the torment of a life without love.

6. quietnessandtrust profile image61
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

Many scholars believe that a gigantic amount of time elapsed between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 and so that would account for the earth being a lot older than some others think.

Many believe that something cataclysmic happened between the verses.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

~Unknown amount of time elapses~

Gen 1:2 The earth was empty, a formless mass cloaked in darkness. And the Spirit of God was hovering over its surface.

But to someone like me who doesn't believe in the bible, that doesn't mean anything.

I'm not putting it down at all.  I'm just saying what the bible says doesn't work for me because you can't prove it.

It's based on belief and faith which is something my analytical mind can't trust without evidence or at least empirical evidence.

7. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I'm really appalled the way you people seem to be so much serious about these questions.
    Come on! None of this is serious.
    Man created god from his own image.

Because Man needed it.
    Christians have a nice way to put it :
    God is all, God is in all beings and things.(omnipresent)

You really feel like joining the concept, because it is positive as hell!
    It's just telling you to love your fellows...

So, do you need your neighbour ?
    Do your neighbour need you ?

your woman is God, your child is God, your neighbour is God.
    can we accept this ?

8. Kaabi profile image61
    Kaabiposted 14 years ago

I think it's pretty arrogant and downright stupid to believe in something like Christianity.  I know that's a rough statement, but like Tim has been saying, there are so many religions out there.  God gives no clue as to which one is the "correct" one, and how would we know if one of the older ones was right?

As I've said in other threads, this Universe is so freaking huge, to think that God is as involved with us as religions say he is, it's just ridiculous.  Plus, you cannot even see any involvement!  Everything we experience is a result of natural phenomena and the actions of other humans, nothing else.  Maybe God created the Universe, which could very well be possible, but beyond that, it is ridiculous to think he is involved with us on a personal level.

I had to pray for enlightenment, but first I believe in God. He will show you the way if you ask for it. Otherwise you will remain a lost sheep with begginer questions.

9. profile image0

maybe you would like to resume school...

would you like me to ring the bell. School in session?

10. underhiswings profile image60
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

When GOD appears to someone...doubt will diminish.
    He has appeared to many over the ages and can do so at anytime.

When someone claims to have seen god or talk to god, we call them crazy and lock them up.  Even christians don't believe these people.  Funny how that works.

If you read scripture, you would know why we don't believe them.

funny how when you don't educate yourself on a subject, you don't know anything about the subject.

Oh brother...for the millionth time, I don't believe in that work of fiction.  Quit basing your entire argument over a book I don't believe in.  And you don't even believe in it 100% of the time because you said earlier you're not supposed to take it "literally."

Well who made you the #1 translator of the bible?

Everyone interprets it differently, again a credit to the christian religion. Everyone can believe in it how they want to suit their life.

No christian reads that book the same.  Plus it's been translated hundreds of times by common man.

You need to find answers outside that book.

2. TimTurner profile image69

Actually, I am curious..what does the bible say about hearing or seeing god?  I'm not trying to be a smart-ass.  I really want to know why it's not ok to see/hear him today.

You don't believe anything I would tell you, I'm not getting baited again. Sorry

My whole point is if somebody wants to know, look.

It takes me two seconds to locate the scripture, it would take you all day, but you may learn something. Its whats best for you.

Are you serious?  I'm not trying to bait you.  My argument is not against christianity!!

I thought christians were supposed to want to teach other people.  Seriously, I want to know why you're not supposed to see or hear god today.

I'm not understanding why you can't just tell me.

Anyone else know?

1. atomswifey profile image56

We can hear Gods voice Tim.
                You have to be open to hear it and accept what He has to say.
                As far as seeing God?
                I do not believe God to be an old man in white robes with a long beard etc. I think He is love and light, spirit and glory.
                Jesus was God in the flesh and walked among us.
                I believe we feel God more than actually see Him. We can feel His presence in our hearts and know He is there all around in and of everything. The very air we breathe even.

Ok so what Sooner was saying isn't really in the bible then.  I'm not trying to fight him.  I was really curious when he said that we weren't supposed to hear or see him today even though people did back in the day.

That's just how my mind works...always asking questions.  Thank you!

1. profile image0
                    cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that can get you into a lot of trouble, i have found wink

2. atomswifey profile image56

no thats awesome Tim! smile
                    I am glad to have a conversation with someone who is actually wanting a real conversation and not just to mock which happens a lot in here.

I found the coolest site by the way which actually gives a scientific explanation as to why we cannot see God. Its really cool the link is here if you want to read it.
                    http://www.cojoweb.com/God-1.html

3. Jerami profile image58
                    Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

God did not talk to everybody back then.  If he had done that nobody would take anyone seriously. He wanted one person talking for him at a time to that selected group.

The same way a businessman would want his business negosiated today.

2. sooner than later profile image60

I can't agree here atomswify. We were created in God's image. We take a flesh body again in heaven. Moses did not gaze upon the Lord. We do not gaze upon the Lord. We could not even please him in the law, because the law was weak(as we made it so). Look at Romans 9:1-17 and we learn how we are even able to please God at all. 

Tim, I don't want to do this. Why don't you really challenge yourself?

Jesus mediates between us and God. There is great reason for this. We will only be able to dwell with God in heaven because no impure thing shall enter. If therefor we are purified, we may look upon Him.

1. marinealways24 profile image59
                    marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

And circumsized right? lol

Ignorance

3. profile image0
                  Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, good grief.

I fear for you. I genuinely do. I'm scared you actually believe what you wrote. God, or whoever it is you want to believe in, has really done a number on you, haven't they?

What troubles me here is how your ignorance blinds you to hard facts. In effect, it's as if your brain has been washed clean of all intelligence and reason and what's been left behind is a hollow set of pie in the sky values that mean absolutely nothing.

You scare me.

1. profile image0

replace the word "God" with "space aliens" and they would cart a person off to the hospital...

11. sooner than later profile image60

"Eastern religions are way older than 4200 years.  And I like how you dismiss the Egyptian gods."

ohh? who?

Hinduism is clearly the oldest religion with some saying it goes back over 10,000 years.  But Paleonithic (or however you spell that) peoples believed in Mother Earth 50,000 years ago.

But WHO CARES  haha

You are so set on making christianity #1 that you are missing the whole point of religions.

Open your eyes accept that there are people who believe in their religions stronger than you.  You are not the all knowing christian.

You are making your religion look bad in these forums.

12. profile image0

why not 4201 ?
    And dismiss egyptian gods as you will,
    but never dismiss egyptian Godesses.
    Ring your bell to proclaim this advice.
    Never forget that some religions include female divinity.
    And that is great. It shows to what point, Man who invented god was more or less invaginated towards himself at the time he came up with the idea.

13. sooner than later profile image60

if you kept up with recent archeology, you will find that no respectible archeologist claims remains of man nor religious relics to be any older than +/- 4200 years. which is weird because that still fits within the flood time phrame.

Look, tim is it? you have an account less than 20 hours old. you heavily remind me of someone that was recently banned for a time.

Remind you how? ohh, how about the areas of knowledge that you love to argue about, but have no education in. As stated above.

Thanks for your time, but I am looking for more depth.

Why would I get banned?  If anything, you've been disrespectful to me.  Including mocking me in other forum posts when it's not even a religious discussion.

You are the reason why people don't like certain christians.

I have tried many times to tell you argument isn't about christianity yet you keep trying to prove that christianity is #1.

Who cares for the millionth time!

Go read your bible and pray.  I don't care.

But don't disrespect me or talk down to me like you are a god and perfect.

And don't threaten to ban me because i'm not a christian.

14. sooner than later profile image60

I think you are saying evolution is a religion? Well then yes, I agree. Thanks for that point Timmy.

15. sooner than later profile image60

Please, leave this for his own discovery people.

an eagle kicks its baby from the nest, no?

So you have no clue either or you made it up because none of your other friends have answered it so I think you just made it up.

16. profile image0

At least, it is shown here that we need the word.
    Rethorics make some world go round.
    Maybe we need the concept, too.
    But how to grasp Absolute ?

Sooner said the bible says why people aren't supposed to see or hear god today.  But he won't give me the answer why.  Can you?

I really want to know what the bible says about that.  I'm very curious.

17. underhiswings profile image60
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

@ the doubters:

And why is it that you do not believe someone who tells you God appeared to them ?

Do you think it is not possible?

What do you mean ?
    "if you read the Bible you would know why we do not believe them"

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you believe everything you read?

1. underhiswings profile image60
        underhiswingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No

2. profile image0
      Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if God, or more to the point, 'your' concept of God appeared to me (Incidentally I have no concept of God and never will) at the very least I would want to know which cloud he finds the most comfortable to sit on? Is it the large puffy, fluffy cumulus nimbus ones... or does he find the cirrostratus ones a little more kind to his Godly butt? What's more, I'd ask God.. ooops, correction (your god) if he has any hot angels he can send down from heaven to dance at my local pole dancing club. You know, some cutesey wutesy pouty wouty angelic jezabelles who can flap their wings while working a little magic around the poles... not too much to ask is it? 

Now, having successfully outraged all the pathetic religious fruit-loops out there, hopefully the key point I'm now about to make will snap more sharply into focus for the religious nutters.

On reading my above statement, the sense of outrage, disbelief and indignation that is generated within you, that I, as a non believer should mock so savagely your reviered 'god' is virtually identical to the outrage and disbelief that I, as an atheist feels towards individuals who class themselves as religious and who feel the need to believe in a pie-in-sky God.

Ultimately, reasoning with the religious will prove futile. They cannot learn because certain areas of their brain 'need' god. Fortunately, I have evolution on my side! Evolution, I salute you! In time, sad and desperate individuals who have developed 'God centres' within their brains will have these areas gradually eroded through the course of evolution. Once evolution starts to do it's thing, there will be no turning back for the ignorant so blinded by their faiths.

18. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

I just gotta ask, if you are not a christian why do you spend all your time on religious forums. Do you get a thrill out of talking down to people that do believe? This question is not directed at anyone in particular.

1. profile image0

is being a Christian a requirement to discuss religion or be interested in religion?

is Christianity the only religion in the world?

why do you assume that people "get a thrill out of talking down to people that do believe"?

have you ever thought people might have a religious upbringing and are keenly interested in religion - period?

and why do you also assume that posters spend "all of their time" in religious forums? do you go in and count their posts and log their posting times?

interesting...

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is why I mentioned Talking down

Oh, good grief.

I fear for you. I genuinely do. I'm scared you actually believe what you wrote. God, or whoever it is you want to believe in, has really done a number on you, haven't they?

What troubles me here is how your ignorance blinds you to hard facts. In effect, it's as if your brain has been washed clean of all intelligence and reason and what's been left behind is a hollow set of pie in the sky values that mean absolutely nothing.

You scare me.

No cosette anyone can be in any forum they wish, I have just noticed some do what this guy did, I just don't understand the fanatical aversion some people exhibit!

1. profile image0

maybe he was beaten by those nuns one too many times... wink

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he was beaten by a rabid atheist, it happens you know?

1. profile image0

omg haha!! big_smile

2. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brainwashing is a topic I'm very interested in. I'm writing a hub about it. I need data big_smile

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well tantrum, plenty of material here then! lol

19. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

lol

20. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol lol lol

21. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Answer to the origional question.

Does the sun MEed for the corn stalk to soak up the rays ?

22. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

It is as if we are all  fish;  I would really respect the other fish that are brave enough to evolve themselves up onto the bank of the river, because they do not need the water.  When/if  we evolve to never need the water we will owe it all to fishes that are brave enough to make that effort.   
        Good luck I hope ya can make it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)