Are you afraid of going to Hell?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (84 posts)
  1. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 8 years ago

Are you afraid of going to Hell?

I'm afraid.  I'm worried I should be religious to avoid Hell, but I don't believe God would send me to Hell because I don't know what to believe.

So are you afraid of going to Hell for all eternity?

2. Taopi profile image62
    Taopiposted 8 years ago

There is more faith in honest doubt than in a thousand creeds, as has been said in a bit of an embellishment of Tennyson's original quote.  The concept of Hell is an Abrahamic one.  I don't think Judaism, the oldest of the three, even takes it literally anymore.  If you were born in another country where the Middle Eastern religious system isn't predominant, the concept wouldn't even occur to you. 

I'm not an Atheist, but neither am I a medievalist.  I refuse to believe in a Godhead who demands surrender and admonishes human frailties under penalty of eternal damnation.  If you are afraid, think of it this way: there is Christianity and there is Christ Consciousness.  Two separate things.  The latter will get you further, because it is not based on fear.  It is based on unconditional love and is open to deep and sincere inquiry.  And besides, if you are looking at Christianity, for example, which brand do you choose?  Each one is going to tell you they are the correct one, but that's just ego-speak.   

I would seek out many different faiths if you are interested in religion to any degree.  Check them all out.  Listen deeply to what is being said by each.  Some are very poetic, like Sufism.  Some are very consciousness oriented, like Buddhism.  Some are very ritualistic, like Anglicanism.  An extremely limited list, but you get the idea.

I hope you will come to a place of no fear.  Read, "The Prophet," by Kahlil Gibran.  He was a man of intense Christ Consciousness.

1. whomtheSonsetFree profile image61
      whomtheSonsetFreeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No. I am saved and washed clean in the blood of the Lamb who paid my sin debt in full. Yes there is a hell. To not believe that is to be doomed to go there yourself. Jesus taught more about hell than any other subject and its reality is also elswhere

2. Link10103 profile image59
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Believe. If you don't, you will suffer.

Why is it that a god who is credited for all of creation only capable of fear mongering people into believing in him? There shouldn't be an ultimatum, especially if you think he wishes for us to use free will

3. Taopi profile image62
      Taopiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not only free will, but our ability to reason!

Susan, the concept of Hell came from Zoroastrianism & the Greek polytheistic religions, working its way to Judaism & then Christianity.  If you think Hell is unique, you are sorely naïve.

3. Link10103 profile image59
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

Nope. Nothing in my life so far would designate me a seat in hell, at least not any more than just about every other person on the planet anyway.

If I'm going to be sent to hell for not resigning my logic, rationality, and overall common sense and believing in the existence of a being whos own followers can't even agree with each other, then oh well. Those people, as well as their God, aren't people I want to be with.

1. Taopi profile image62

Great answer!!

2. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, not really a good answer.  You can keep all your logic and common sense and STILL accept Jesus into your heart.  No one said you had to give that up.

3. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer Link I completely agree.

4. Link10103 profile image59

Loli, there is nothing logical or rational about believing in gods that have nothing to show of their existence.

Is it bad to still believe in them? No, unless of course the only other alternative is hellfire..

5. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hell is the biggest scarefest manufactured by religionists.They need a gimmick to keep the masses enthralled. Since they couldn't do it positively, they decided to have SOME NEGATIVE reenforcement to get the masses to keep coming in their churches.

4. profile image0
    Commonsensethinkposted 8 years ago

I have never once been presented with any scientific evidence that Hell exists, any more than scientific evidence for Heaven is forthcoming.

These concepts were invented by primitive man when scientific knowledge was in its infancy. These days, with the far greater knowledge that we have available, we should be far more capable of understanding that we are mortal and when the brain switches off, we will lose all awareness and nothing will follow.

Meanwhile I will go on living my life as an honourable person who obeys the civil law, and contributes in a positive way to society - as long as my mortal body lets me breathe.

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Yes, hell was invented by people who did not have advanced knowledge.  Hell is mostly a negative reinforcement mechanism for the less educated, powerless, &/or more naïve masses.  Most intelligent people can see THROUGH the propaganda.

5. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

Fear of Hell was an excellent way to control people in ancient times when there was no such thing as a separation of church and government.  Back then, ancient societies had little understanding of the world and how things work.  Combine that primitive knowledge with a need to keep people in line etc. and you see why the promise of heaven and threat of hell were a great tool.

Sadly, this nonsense still exists today and it scares people into not living authentically or exploring the deeper questions and meaning of life for fear of displeasing "God". 

I was brought up in a religious home full of fear of hell and damnation.  If it was fun, you better stop doing it or you'll go to hell... eyeroll.  Eventually, you come to a place where you realize, you are no better or worse than most people around you for the most part. 

I never understood the whole "Love God or else!" thing taught by religions, until I studied history, other religions etc and came to the conclusion that God (as a judgmental male deity) is a man-made construct. 

It's very freeing to not live my life trying to appease or fear an entity that apparently knows very little about the unconditional love he supposedly doles out.  It's more like emotional abuse the way it was taught to me.  "I love you but if you don't do what I say or you commit this sin or you think for yourself and you'll go to hell for all eternity".   Does that sound like a  loving creator to you?  Or a way to fear monger people into doing what you want? smile think about it. 

If there is a loving God that is a deity in power - If he's "all loving" there is no way "he" would send any of his children for eternal punishment.  I'm a mere mortal and I wouldn't do that to my children.

1. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"Fear of Hell was an excellent way to control people in ancient times" - Amen! smile

2. Taopi profile image62

Excellent

3. gmwilliams profile image85

Exactly Christin, this fear of hell has been manufactured by power-hungry, fear-mongering religionists.  A loving God WOULD NEVER send anyone to hell.  God is beyond the petty judgmental limitations of puerile religionists.

6. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12839629_f260.jpg

No I don't think about hell. Some might argue we're already in hell.
    Personally speaking I know people who honestly believe they will be reunited with the deceased pets in heaven! Surly we know their pets never accepted Christ or followed any other religious dogma!
    Some folks believed it was possible to be a member of the KKK and a Christian at the same time. Beliefs are amazing!
    When it comes to "heaven" and "hell" I suspect the concepts were designed to encourage or discourage behavior. In many parts o the world (religion) was the foundation of government. Different factions and denominations splintered off on their own.
    Then it became not enough for you to believe in God but you have to believe in "the right God" or follow the "right faith" or go to hell.
    Only "our group" of good people can go to heaven.
    Jehovah's Witnesses believe that exactly 144,000 faithful Christians go to heaven to rule with Christ in the kingdom of God.
    Now that may have sounded like a "lot of people" back when Revelation 14:1-4 was written but out of over {7 Billion people} we have today that's fairly small. There are 196 countries in the world today which means on average only 735 people per country will be going to heaven.  Hell must be one HUGE place!
    Romans 6:23

"For the wages of sin is {death}; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Death doesn't sound like hell)

Luke 17:21
    "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold,
    {the kingdom of God is within you.}"

1. ChristinS profile image40

Absolutely and the JW I talked to a few years ago and questioned still preached the 144,000 number.  I didn't want to go there, but there are many more JW's than that in the world, only the elite make the cut? sigh...

2. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You would think they'd drop the 144,000 number if for no other purpose than to grow their church membership!
      In 2014 Jehovah's Witnesses, worldwide membership exceeded 8.2 million. Essentially over 8 million of them are wasting their time!

Religionists are so fond of categorizing people.  Hell is a revenge story really.  They are so love w/hell.  Won't be surprised if many religionists will end up.....THERE.....just saying....

4. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hell is not revenge.  It was created for Satan and his angels. But since sin entered the world and all hearts are wicked, we are incapable of saving ourselves, and need to be saved through Jesus.  It's not "believe or burn" we're destined there.

5. Link10103 profile image59

Ah, well that's a brilliant ultimatum I guess.  The Fear aspect isn't terribly original, but it would get the job done.

6. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like an abusive boyfriend, really.

"You're pretty messed up.  No one could possibly love you as you are.  But I do.  You need me.  You'll never be happy and you'll always be a terrible person but with me things might be kinda okay!"

7. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Nope, not even remotely.   I'm a good person, I live my life trying to do my best, trying to have a positive impact, not because I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't, but because I believe it's the right thing to do.  If I end up in hell because my motivation for being a good person didn't come from God then it sounds like God is more interested in people believing in him than he is in how people actually conducted themselves.  And I don't want to spend eternity with a God whose power and influence is more important to him than someone's good nature. 

If God can look at me and all the wonderful atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, etc. that I know and condemn us to burning in hellfire just because we didn't believe in him... well, that's a pretty terrible God, if you ask me.

1. ChristinS profile image40

Yes!

2. Taopi profile image62

The Christian God appears to be more interested in collecting souls than in much else.  It's kind of sinister, really.  If Christianity doesn't evolve from its ego-centrist mythology, it will not outlive Hinduism or Buddhism in history's timeline.

It is the religionists in their HATEFUL, FLAWED interpretation of God which propagate such psychosis.  God REALLY doesn't care if one is a None, Atheist, Buddhist, Wiccan, or what have you as long you're a GOOD person. That's ALL THAT MATTERS.

4. MRSlupus profile image60
      MRSlupusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You just acknowledged that there is a God. So you do belive in him. It's not just about "believing" in him either... Satan belives in him. It's about knowing him. In your heart and knowing yourself as a sinner, needing him.

5. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sure didn't. I'm speaking hypothetically. I acknowledge that I don't know everything, so sure, there *could* be a God. I don't believe that but I could be wrong. 

I make mistakes, not sins. And I don't need a god, doing just fine without one.

6. profile image52
      SAMIR NAHAKAposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your approach is  good, though here I'd like to add-LUKE-17:20-:“The Kingdom of God does not come in such a way as to be seen.  21:- No one will say, ‘Look, here it is.  Or,' There it is!' because the kingdom of God is within you". So where is hell?

8. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8839299_f260.jpg

Hell is the biggest SCARE TACTIC manufactured by religions to keep people fearful & docile.  Hell is another way that religions can have power & ownership over the masses. Hell is a synonym for psychological, even psychic control over the naïve, uneducated, unsophisticated, & gullible among us.  There is no better way to keep the masses in blind & abject obedience than the mention of the word....HELL.

Hell is one of the MOST FEARED words in the human conscious.  There are people who live extremely fearful lives because they don't want to go to hell as a result of toxic religious indoctrination.  Religious authorities like nothing better than to have power as power is equated to dollars.  So religious authorities indoctrinate their followers into the concept of hell in order to keep their congregants as their livelihoods are wholly dependent upon those congregants.  While the congregants fearfully believe in hell, the religionists are happy, knowing that their duped congregants are making the latter more powerful & richer.

Hell is BIG BUSINESS for religionists.  If it weren't for hell, many churches would be out of business.  So the idea of hell is manufactured & propagated in order for religions to function, even grow.  The idea of hell is big business propagated by religionists to those deemed to be on society's periphery.  Religionists tell such poor souls that they will be rewarded in heaven because of their dire predicament while those who are better off will be in hell.  Yes, hell is paradoxically used by religionists as a feel good mechanism for those who are deemed societal outsiders, making them feel good that those who are in society's ingroup are the ones who will be damned while the former won't. Hell is viewed as justified revenge.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You said it all. I can't add to it.

9. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

Not in the least. It never enters my mind. What we're taught of Hell is that it is an eternal existence of torment & punishment in the afterlife.This is described in mythology, philosophy and religious traditions.Originally designed, so it is said, as a dwelling place for Satan & his demons
    Further, we're to be believe there is only Heaven or Hell in the hereafter, although many religions have come up with purgatory, limbo &who knows what else. Then there are those who believe none of any of it.

There is the ultra. firm, one and only belief by those who know they are the sole TRUE Christians of the Universe that there is ONE and only ONE ticket to Paradise for eternity.That way to Heaven is through acknowledging that Jesus Christ (son of God) is the one & only personal Savior of mankind, who must be accepted as such, after confessing one's sinful nature & surrendering their life to God through the blood of Jesus, who died to redeem us all of our sins.

Those individuals who follow & adhere to the above are the ONLY humans of the Universe who will enter Heaven. All others shall be damned to Hell for all eternity no matter who they are, what they have done or not done, how moral, loving or generous they've been throughout  life.There are thousands of different religions, faiths & beliefs..They all believe something different& each & every one is 100% certain, their way is the ONLY way.. These same people LOVE to preach.In fact they believe they are obligated to do so.They also feel they can tell others that they will go to Hell. They do this by slapping the unsaved upside the head with a bible, spouting Scripture loudly & repeatedly and/or shaming, humiliating, warning & damning people.   

If any of this sounds a bit bizarre, irrational, incredible, somewhat ignorant, I'm afraid I wouldn't be the one to try to explain it for you.  "HELL" in my understanding & reasoning seems to be an occasional earthly frame of mind or experience.  Once in awhile, when everything seems to go wrong, I refer to it as "the day from hell,"  I've had "bosses from Hell" and been in a relationship or two from Hell"....I've been told to "go to Hell" and often return the suggestion..My Dad used to say, "That's a HELL of a thing to do!"  I loved him very much because he was one Hell of a Dad!....It's the first 3 letters of "Hello," and that's a nice thing to say, isn't it?
    NO.....I am NOT afraid I am going to Hell.  Not at all.

1. Taopi profile image62

Good comment!  I would only add it is but two out of the three Mid East religions, Islam and Christianity, that have the doctrine of conversion.  Other religions don't appear to have an ingrained or centric need to be right.

10. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

Nope, not worried in the slightest.

I'm told occasionally (particularly here) I'm destined for hell as I am a gay woman, and an atheist. I also have numerous tattoos, wear mixed fibres, swear like a sailor, and blaspheme occasionally - though out of respect...not in front of my religious friends.

The thing is - i treat people kindly, I don't break laws, I don't harm others nor do I advocate it.
    I accept all for who they are, and unless they are trying to change me, don't ask them to change (the change being - leave me alone).

I also don't believe in Hell. So, can't be afraid of something I don't believe in can I?

1. profile image54
      peter565posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Christ is evil! Going to Christ's heaven require doing evil. Christ send people to hell for treating people kindly and not hurting people. If the bible's teaching is real, I rather go to hell and side with Lucifer, then go to heaven.

11. mrpooper profile image38
    mrpooperposted 8 years ago

Afraid of Hell? No I  married the Devil's sister, I know about hell already!

12. koopars profile image60
    kooparsposted 8 years ago

Ya ! i think everyone should afraid of it.

13. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

Well let’s see here. According to Catholics doctrine, hell is ''the eternal loss of God'' or good, and more specifically, love. It is, in essence, a state in which love is absent for eternity, rather than a place “where one goes.”.

Thus, learned Catholics warn that biblical images of infernal torments are not to be taken literally but instead symbolize suffering ''inherent in the state of (mortal) sin.''  (The ancients used very descriptive language---it was their way.)

Mortal sin occurs when a person knows that their sin is wrong, but still deliberately commits the sin anyway. This means that mortal sins are "premeditated" by the sinner, and thus are truly a rejection of God’s law……as in a murderer who premeditates his crime.

As an aside, The Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word “Hades” were often used by the Jews to refer in general to "the abode of the dead." These words are sometimes loosely translated into English as "hell." There are also other Greek and Hebrew words that describe hell loosely, but you can look those up for yourself.

What I have learned from my studies (mostly from catholic theology) is that God did not create hell. Rather, it is a state where (only) evil resides and where love is completely absent, and that furthermore, we all have  souls, and as such, the state of (zero) love is eternal because the soul lives on. So, in essence, a person has a choice to love or not to love.. Stalin, for example, would be a good example of someone who embraced evil wholeheartedly.

So to answer your question, I am more concerned about becoming so comfortable that I take God for granted. Obviously, misunderstandings about God and Biblical literature are rampant---even among "Christians."

Hope this helps. Interesting question.

14. writejt profile image66
    writejtposted 8 years ago

I think both heaven and hell are necessary, one to bridle our sense of accomplishment (there are even better things to strive for), and the other to limit our despair (even worse fate can befall)

1. Kiss andTales profile image61
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So far the scriptures is very clear, Ec 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.
      It says just a grave , no hell or heaven .no activity.

15. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 8 years ago

Not particularly. I've been listening to heavy metal music for 30+ years and watching horror movies for almost as long, though, so I guess I'll see what happens when I kick it....

1. gmwilliams profile image85

Fearful of HELL....NAH!   Very fearful of becoming penurious & homeless.  Now, that is what people should be FEARFUL of as most people are 1-2 paychecks away fro penury & homelessness, esp. in these economic times!  Get real, now!

16. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 8 years ago

Everyone seems here seems only focused on the Christian Bible.  How about the concept of hell found in the Quran or Torah?  Even the Hindu religion has the concept of samsara, which is a type of hell.  There is even the Tibetan Buddhist text Bardo Thodol, or the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which also describes hell.  Hell is even mentioned is Roman and Greek mythology.  Each describes how people enter into Hell and how it can be avoided.  None of this will matter to a person who does not believe in an afterlife.

17. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

Nope...wanted to kick the devil's ass a long time ago....apparently he is closer than we think, just look around.

http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … -From-Hell

18. profile image0
    ValKarasposted 8 years ago

Nothing to worry about...I've heard the hell is modernized now, with air condition and gadgets; and a lot of interesting people end up there. It's not anymore like it used to be in Biblical times when you could only see some ascetic and pale dudes in robes and sandals feeling sorry that they stole the neighbour's sheep.

So, from these comments you see that no one is scared of meeting the ugly bastard with forks, and now it's your turn to elaborate a little -  why are you so scared? If you can't live without a fear, then pick something like a car accident, violent crime, or weekend visit by mother-in-law. That will give you a high quality fear, not hell.

And don't worry about where God will send you; he is too busy to be bothered. According to what's happening around the globe, I bet you He is somewhere else creating some new universes and trying to do a better job than the first time around. Well, no one's perfect  -  if it's true that He made us in His own image.

I don't know if you noticed but I am just kidding here. Hell is a very serious matter. Still kidding,  -  Be well, David.

19. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 8 years ago

No, because I don't believe it exists.   Hell is an invention of Abrahamic religions meant to frighten people into following the religion's teachings.

20. profile image54
    peter565posted 8 years ago

If Christianity is real, I rather go to hell then heaven. Take a look at what the bible teaches

Leviticus 24:16
    Whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10
    “If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son or your daughter or the wife you embrace or your friend who is as your own soul entices you secretly, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which neither you nor your fathers have known, some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the whore, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)

Who need enemy, when you got a God like this?

In fact if we study the bible, we realized, the anti christ is the good guy over christ
    https://www.openbible.info/topics/antichrist

I choose to side with Lucifer over Christ, anytime

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The verses you quote were written for the Hebrews in the Age of Aries the Ram. The New Testament is written for Christians in the Age of Pisces. We are now in the Age of Aquarius, so those are obsolete and shouldn't be followed today.

21. profile image59
    jerrycarmanposted 8 years ago

You ask "Are you afraid of going to hell?" No because I have Christ as my saviour. John 3:16 says For God so loved the world that He gave His only beggoton Son that whosoever believeth in Him has everlasting life. Romans 10:13 says For whosoeverver shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. This is what I did and now I am a believer.

22. Kiss andTales profile image61
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

The word is simply of another period and time , the word was use by King James of the 1600's in their dialog, of English,  the word is related to Helling potatoes,  which means to store underground or in a cave , look it up, also a play of Dante Divine,  was created with the thought of a hell fire, it was so popular people really intertained the thought to be real.
    Translations of our language today would show that sheol , hades, is the persons grave, not a fiery place of torment as translators replace these words with hell.
    Please look up the words in Hebrew and Greek that give you the proper meaning,
    Fire meaning was used as a symbol to express an idea , since fire can destroy with no return of its physical form this is why Jesus used the term , in his illustrations. Notice
    Mt 13:34 All these things Jesus spoke to the crowds by illustrations. Indeed, without an illustration he would not speak to them,
    Fire Was Used As well.
    Also notice how the Heavenly Father feels about people being burned in fire literal. Notice

Jer 32:35 Furthermore, they built the high places of Baʹal in the Valley of the Son of Hinʹnom, in order to make their sons and their daughters pass through the fire to Moʹlech, (something that I had not commanded them and that had never come into my heart to do such a detestable thing, causing Judah to sin).’

Here it is very clear , he never commanded such a disgusting thing done to anyone, not even a though came up to do such a thing, he calls this a sin.
    But people who worshipe A god Moʹlech intertaine and practice this.
    How sad people confuse the Heavenly Father of another actions, it really is slander,  and injustice toward him.
    Ec 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten.
    If the dead know nothing then they can not know they are in a so call hell.
    This is certainly not scriptural , or supported by the word of God
    This is an example of a doctrin of belief.

To add not doing something can be sinnful, example not keeping your body clean , not loving your nieghbor, not being careful of other humans as being reckless can cause other humans harm. Passive allowing another to lie when you know truth. Many sin

23. profile image57
    TheRockyposted 8 years ago

Can't even imagine of going to hell..! Those fire lashes, burning into fire for years and years with no break. Oh god, can't just imagine !

You what other people's imagination can do , learning the truth can release people from these horrid tales.
      Free yourself.

24. hari87 profile image62
    hari87posted 8 years ago

No, because i am very confident that i haven't committed any sin so far. So i don't even have to ponder this question for me personally.

I agree sometimes we do not know if we sin, a thought is also considered a sin,
      The word of God is clear, Ro 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
      That means you may not know when you sin in word or thought, or action.

25. passionatelearnr profile image86
    passionatelearnrposted 8 years ago

I'm not afraid to go to hell because i believe i won't have to go there .

26. profile image51
    delnafitterposted 8 years ago

Yes I m vry afraid of going to hell I feel il b in the worst part of the world

Ec 9:5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten.

2. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Interesting verse - I've read the rest of that one...sounds as though the writer is saying that there is nothing after, aside from a quick mention of no one knows if love or hate awaits. Interesting one to use is all. Thanks.

3. Kiss andTales profile image61

Thanks Jlpark, good observance.

27. Stella Kaye profile image84
    Stella Kayeposted 8 years ago

Be true to yourself, be good to your fellow man whether you are religious or not. If you are afraid of Hell, refrain from evil doing or make amends for the evil that you have already done. Thus If there is such a place there will be no requirement for you to go there.

28. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

I am not afraid of going to hell. I believe in God, He would not send someone to hell who believes in him, because if you believe in Him you will do what is right.
    If you believe in God, don't be afraid. 
    Even atheist believe in God, there are no unbelievers in hell.

Blessings
    Shyron

1. Link10103 profile image59

This would be the part where I ask how an atheist believes in any God let alone the (I suppose) Christian one specifically.

Frankly it probably wont get answered without a bible verse and/or alot of assertions, so I don't think I'll bother this time

2. Kiss andTales profile image61

Link I have Phophecy infomation , Can I send it to your email because of space here is limit. ?

3. Eldon Arsenaux profile image61
      Eldon Arsenauxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Even an atheist can accept Ultimate Terms, such as God, which organize our languages-- Entelechy. If the concept is a Man In The Sky, fewer would follow. Fortunately, few folk have so simplistic a view of Almighty(s). Yes, that is an assertion 'Link'

29. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

No, never ever think about it. I just choose to be basically as good a person as I can, in preference to bad while I am on this Earth...and let the cards fall where they may.

30. MizBejabbers profile image88
    MizBejabbersposted 8 years ago

Hell no! I don't believe in a literal hell, nor do I believe in the concept of "sin" as taught by the Abrahamic religions. All religions have a concept of the Golden Rule, and that is to love your brother and treat him as you would yourself. 
    To loosely paraphrase Neil Freer who wrote Breaking the Godspell, we must must throw off man's idea of a vengeful God and forsake man's religion entirely before we can find our own way in this universe.

31. Mr. Happy profile image70
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

Not long ago, I saw a quote: "Worrying is the wrong use of imagination." - Made me laugh but ya I think it helps. Personally, I don't worry much about anything.

32. profile image52
    aya reman renadposted 8 years ago

God won't sent me to hell if i do right things in my life so l amnot afriad

33. profile image52
    Benny Ngposted 8 years ago

Hell... the media has interpreted this environment as that of such evil, such that it's own name puts fear in one's heart. There are definitely many reasons to be scared and yet, to enter into the fiery gates, one must commit only the cruelest of crimes. Unless you have not committed that of a serious damage to another human being, the likelihood of going to hell is slim. This is my opinion.

34. SolveMyMaze profile image50
    SolveMyMazeposted 8 years ago

I agree with what Jodah has written, I try to be as good as possible and I can't actually pin point anything that I've done that would be classed as immoral. Having said that, I'm not religious so the concept of Hell is lost on me anyway.

Although if it does exist after all, perhaps it's my ignorance towards it and my lack of faith that would land me in there. Rather ironic, really.

35. Zubair Ahmed profile image75
    Zubair Ahmedposted 8 years ago

Yes...like many other people I am afraid of going to hell.  Just like in life we need to prepare for work, study, holidays etc.  I think in order to avoid hell we also need to prepare and work towards a good life and believe in God - so when we are dead he may forgive our sins (because we believed in Him alone and did our best to follow His commands)

36. Barine Sambaris profile image66
    Barine Sambarisposted 8 years ago

Yes, I am afraid of going to hell. You don't need to be religious to avoid hell. You need to be a child of God. God knows how to direct his own. He sees ur heart and determination. You do what is right, and let him be the judge.

37. meenakshibhati profile image68
    meenakshibhatiposted 8 years ago

According to me Hell is an imaginary place created by many God man to scare people and force them to believe in some or the other religion. Do good and be Good should be the only rule followed by mankind. We are humans, the most intellectual living being on this earth. Hence should behave like humans. If there exist some God, i believe he must more intelligent than us and should be able to categories people according to their deeds and heart. We stand no where to fool him by following fake traditions and creating imaginary places like hell.

38. Rosie writes profile image85
    Rosie writesposted 8 years ago

Are you a good person? Do you treat others with compassion? Are you kind and giving?  Do you care about living things and the environment? Do you take care of friends and family who are in need?  Are you willing to help a stranger? 

For me personally, those questions are more important. No matter what your belief system is, I would hope the questions I have asked would be very important in a person's life.  Who defines "religious" any way?  You define yourself.

39. slock62 profile image61
    slock62posted 8 years ago

Surely you must have more productive things to do than sitting around worrying about something that is obviously meant as a way of controling those foolish enough to believe in illusions.
    Only the severly nieve believe in the concept of Hell. The only Hell that exists is the one you are currently putting yourself through. Hell exists in our believing it exists.
    If I were you I'd find some productive project, one that helps others, and spend my time in a worthwhile persuit. You are focusing too heavily on your own self interest. This is the root of your fear.

40. lorddanielossy profile image44
    lorddanielossyposted 8 years ago

i am part of God and you should believe.For without faith it is impossible to please God.That's what the bible says.If you believe and you die and there is no heaven or hell ,you have nothing to loose.But if you die and you meet judgement and you didn't believe on earth you will loose.

41. blackpegasus profile image67
    blackpegasusposted 8 years ago

Nope, believing in God doesn't make you a good person or a contender of heaven. Its our work and deeds that tell us where we belong, not believe in God. So do good be good and heaven is all yours.

42. jravity1 profile image60
    jravity1posted 8 years ago

Hell is a dream, just like heaven. Everyone knows what happens when you go to sleep. You dream, right. Well here is what happens when you die. Once your body shuts down and realizes its dying, you start to relive your life, including every detail you have heard about heaven and hell. You start to dream of where you are going. NOT WHERE YOU ARE. So you are dreaming, until you just don't exist. This is exactly why when people have a near death experience, they see almost exactly the same thing. White light, feeling of warmth, pearly gates. In some cases, fire and brimestone.  It is just a dream.

43. Jeff Watters profile image82
    Jeff Wattersposted 8 years ago

No, I don't believe hell exist.  What loving God would put his children in a fire?  No god I would want to worship.  Should you question hell just look at its mention in the bible, only in metaphor.

44. David33 profile image60
    David33posted 8 years ago

You already are in Hell. Hell is a term used by King's for debtors prisons. Anyone that is a citizen is a surety for debt through surnames.

Webster 1828
    8. A dungeon or prison.

45. Say Yes To Life profile image78
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11966171_f260.jpg

It is becoming more and more apparent that hell is nothing more than a scare tactic.  This is a picture of the late Harold Camping's cult recruitment.  He heavily used hell as a scare tactic.  Many of his followers gave up their life savings as a result.  They went to hell all right - the one they created here on Earth!
    Most people have positive near death experiences.  Check out this website: http://www.near-death.com .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)