adding to and taking away from the word of God

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Can we read these next verses without taking away or adding to them? Do you want to? What would happen if you did.
         When the word of God in interpreted by man, he is doing just that; taking away and adding to them.
        2nd Peter 1:20  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation.
        I guess that we can also interpret this verse to mean something else other than what it says??
        If we would believe 2nd Peter 1:20 there would not be but one denomination of Christianity

Matthew 16:28  "Verily I say unto you, there be some standing HERE (NOW), which shall not taste of death,till they see the son of man coming in his kingdom.
        Matthew 26:64   The night before his crucifixion Jesus standing before the high priest said to that priest, Thou hast said; nevertheless I say unto YOU Hereafter shall YE  see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, coming in the clouds of heaven.

What are these words saying if we do not take away or add to them; If we beleve scripture as they are written?
         Matthew 24:34  Verily I say unto YOU, This generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled (v36) But of that day and hour knoweth no man,...
        If My perseption is incorrect; I pray that some brother in Christ can show me the error of my ways.  God bless

1. Make  Money profile image65
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  In fact that was the original plan, one body in Christ.  How do we attempt to put the pieces back together?

Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good mornin everybody.  Yawn <<  aah coffee ...
        Mike  You ask and I'm answering the best that I can
            I can not know it.... I can only think it.
            I think that humanity has to admitt to ourselves that we might not be as wise as we precieve ourselves to be. 
            Quit the practice of interpretating scripture. That has never realy worked for us. We can not stop doing it until we clear our mind of "ALL" interpretation that we have been taught since childhood. And start building a new belief system from scratch.
             I think the above statements to be basic FACTS
            For the tricky part.  Where to start??? I think that we should begin in the book of Daniel with the 62 weeks until they kill the Messish. Here the Lord is giving us a time line comparison between Angelic time and earthly time. We should attempt to understand these verses with the mind of a child and not with the presumption that God wanted only the wise to be able to solve a puzzle.
             Mankind has created a MYSTERY where none existed before.

2. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

No idea Jerami, but it sounds interesting.

Good day to ya  Lady E.  I think that this is a question that we should all ponder. I have been searching this issue for a long long time; I think that we interpret too much caus we have been taught to do it and it is too hard to quidit??

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Jerami, are you saying this should be taken literally as the word of god?

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through.   (Zechariah 13:3
    NAB)
    Do you think this is proved true or false?

Is any among you sick?  Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: and the prayer of faith shall save him that is sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, it shall be forgiven him.   (James 5:14-15 ASV)

Or are these misquoted?

4. Jerami profile image59

Hello Earnist Goodda to ya. 
      I never said that that is true. but off the top of my head?? I believe that it might have been correct to do so If you were a Hebrew between the time of the crucifixion and the scattering if the power of the holy people as described in Daniel 12:7... During that period of time I could understand why that might have been appropriate.
    The Messiah had come and died and promised to return in that generation. To kill a false prophet during that critical period of time (30 to 138 AD). 
        Sure why not?

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply Jerami. I agree that this was written for the times. Pretty tough times, psychologically naive times perhaps?
      The second quote from JC, I see no evidence at all for prayer helping the sick. smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it help to know whether some of the people who wrote scriptures were actual thinking(conscious) humans and not hand-held followers of those in power.

Just thought I would ask.

Yes it would throw some light on the bible to know who was trying to write history and those trying to distort it for their own means. Either way, I do not believe in the bible as described so far by religion. smile

I know the context is so far out of whack....it really makes one think about what the real agenda was during that time?

Since, history has shown that during Jesus Christ's time....many humans were slaves to those in power.

It kind of makes think you about those with power(then) --- wanted even more power or control over their slaves.

And, it also show that those who were in power, could do whatever it is that they wanted to, because not many humans were of conscious thought, much less anything else.

5. earnestshub profile image80

In bible study you come across a lot of translations that are in dispute too, so I am interested in how you read those as well.
    Many single words are questionable as to their translation too.

As they should be Earnestshub, considering at the time of Jesus Christ there was a very, very primitive language among humans.

That makes sense.

6. Jerami profile image59

I think that when Jesus said anything that, when you ask of the father in my name he will give it to you , he was talking to his disciples, not everyone. When two of you are together, there I am also, he was talking to his disciples. These things were for that special and miraculous time period.
        And thanks for asking

That makes a helluva lot more sense.

If I hear you telling your best friend that You will get out of bed and help him out of any kind of trouble any time, that doesn't apply to everyone under any circumstance, If I call at 3 in the am you aint getting outa bed.
           I try to pay attention to who is talking to who when I read scripture.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The generalized format of scriptures is one of the reason why understanding is difficult for most. Many simply read the words and automatically assume it is meant for all, because not many are written using the words "I" or "Me".

8. earnestshub profile image80

My experience with reading the bible on my own cover to cover did not happen until after my 2 years of bible study course.
    I finally read my way right out of believing! smile

I had to go away for a little bit ..sory for being slow
         I have never had any formal training in scripture and I believe that that helps me understand many things a little better for that.  I think that scripture has been interpreted to the brink of death. Because of false interpretations that we have been taught,  our subconscious mind thinks that it already knows what we are about to read. We miss the whole message of what things are actually being said when we do that.

I agree, if you are not tied to a pre-belief about what you are reading it sure helps.

9. Pr0metheus profile image59
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Matthew is not god, therefore the point of this post goes against the very idea of reading 'the words of god' without twisting it by man's interpretation.  If 'god' is real, and as Christianity explains it, and it did chose to speak directly to a man, would not his words be twisted by man by definition?

IMO Religion is an outdated form of government.

The point of the post is that if you say that you believe that the bible is the inspired word of God. That God spoke these words to the disciples then what on Gods green earth makes us want to change the meaning of what it says. Do not interpret what you say that you believe. Do we believe it or do we want to believe what we want to say that it says.

when we interpret the meaning then we are confusing a lot of people that might have understood it the way that it is written.

10. Jerami profile image59

Well it is 1:15 and daylight is comming fast . 
    will ketch up in the am  Good night all

Good night Jerami. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)