How do you discover and manage karma debt in your life?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Elena Erykah profile image61
    Elena Erykahposted 14 years ago

Since recently I became aware of the repeating situtions in my life - looking back, I got surprised by the fact that I've never changed my reaction and that reaction never brought any solution, just conflicts and sudden break up with the close one. These situations repeated many many time in the past, but it is now that I see that it is always the exact same situation. What I know is that these situations hurt me and the inner me does not feel well at all, but somehow I followed my independent and self-sufficient me!!
    When I became aware of the repeating situations I wanted to know the urge that keeps pushing me in conflics. The research I did confirmed many thigs and led me to many cuestions - Can we discover our karma debts by our own? How can we became more aware of our acts? Do these situations form part of the lessons we must learn? and how do we manage all this?

Thanx, I'll be glad if you share some of your experience with me.
    EErykah

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my late twenties, I found myself more or less in a similar situation to yours.  A "short list" of the results of that discovery came to be:

1.  I became (temporarily) obsessed with discovering/remembering at least some of my past lives--particularly those that had caused me to be in difficult situations in the Here and Now.

2.  After plowing through a lot of different material (including but not limited to the writings of Edgar Cayce), I figured out that I was on this vicious cycle of "forced reincarnation"...and I decided I was going to find out how to escape that "hamster wheel" in THIS lifetime.  Friends with whom I'd been studying called that ego, and I had to go find new friends.

3.  Eventually (after about 2 years of this) I found (or was led) to the spiritual path I'd been seeking, one that could help me find my own answers.  (If you need to know what that was, please drop me an email--I've no wish to proselytize and won't list it in the forums.)

4.  Eventually I did indeed discover/remember quite a number of past lives.  Those are not to be talked about with others (spiritual law) but went a long, long way toward helping me to understand why I was (and am) in various situations in the Here and Now).  Methods used to discover those lifetimes included consulting with (qualified) psychics (there are many charlatans out there)...dream state study...obsessive reading (I'm a lifetime bookworm)...sudden and unexpected putting-pieces-together insights...just about every angle you could imagine.

After some years (I'm not really sure exactly when it faded), the obsession to "know everything" left on its own.  After 6 divorces and 2 bankruptcies, I've been in a solid relationship with wife #7 for thirteen years and we're still "hooked at the hip".  (The longest anyone else lasted  with me was 8 years.)

Doing it entirely on your own may be possible, but I suspect it's a lot easier with a hint here and there from a guide to point out the most direct route to the top of the mountain.  In my case, I did in fact discover how to escape the Wheel...but after some years of continuing to study and practice the principles I'd learned, I no longer cared about that so much and began to focus on how I could help others find their own ways.

2. gokulg4 profile image56
      gokulg4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is only one way to answer all those questions. Meditation. By practicing meditation you develop love and compassion. You can identify the conflicts even before it arises. It may take time but through meditation you can find the answers.

1. profile image53
        masticmysticposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well first off recognizing that there is a repetitive pattern is one of the first steps to resolving that pattern whether karmic or otherwise. Resolving karmic debt is a matter of releasing the thoughts, beliefs and actions that create the repetitive situation.
             Our lives are a copendium of our thoughts, beliefs and actions manifesting into the physical reality. We are what we think and this is how we approach the world. The world then returns the favor by reflecting our thoughts and beliefs back at us through our experiences. For instance if you believe that you are doomed to live in poverty  then you will unconsciously make the decisions and take the actions to maintain that condition. Bearing this in mind you need to examine what you think and how you believe about the problem area or the area in which you feel you are discharging a karmic debt.
             Once you have isolated what is creating the situation or what you feel the situation is trying to teach you (everything is a learning experience for our growth) then you begin releasing the thoughts and beliefs causing the problem. Often just recognizing the belief is enough to release it. In those situations where it isn't there are many very powerful tools such as affimation and visualization that may assit you in this cleansing.
        I hope that at least partially answered your question

3. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It comes back to you, karma so you learn how it felt and don't harm someone the same way.Yes one understands his own karma if he or she is able to connect things.
      Then when things are not going well, remember the saying this too shall pass , take it positively which is difficult , but look at it in the way that you are burning out your negative karmas. smile

4. profile image0
      Millionheirposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Astrology and Numerlogy have helped me discover some karmic debts others I find in my life, but I believe the best way to own karmic debts are to own up to it and do your best to change your life!

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know much about Karma ... what I know is the Truth, "That you have the absolute Freedom in life ... to Believe and to Do, as you Please ... Though The Merciful Lord hath Provided you with The Right Way of living your Life ...

Man, Defines his own Destiny ... with his own hand !
      There is no supernatural power, which has the power to dictate human Destiny ... For man, is only Second to God...

6. SidKemp profile image85
      SidKempposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that learning, rather than repaying debt, is the most important element of understanding our karma. This is the view of Buddhism and Advaitist Hinduism. May we become aware of what we have done - in this life or earlier lives - that brought about suffering. In that awareness, may we gain our freedom and make a different choice now, building a habit of the new, healthy way of being.

2. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Life throws these situations into your life until you ultimately deal with them only to be replaced by yet another. Life is a classroom and you are the student sometimes, and sometimes you are the teacher.

1. monaz profile image60
      monazposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Once I was baffled by a very painful experience.I did not why.
      Nobody really knows why these difficult situations happen in our lives.But yes just like you mentioned certain situations keep repeating until we learn the lesson and move on.

So one day I kept pondering until the realization came that this is the way it was to happen.It was decided by me before I came into this world.I had decided to learn this lesson in this life time.
      So instead of feeling like a victim of a bad situation I realized I was in charge of my learning process.The pain lessened as I became more aware of the direction my life is required to take as part of the learning in this life time.

1. caravalhophoto profile image60
        caravalhophotoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said, I have recently learned the lesson of playing the victim role and decided that I do not want to be that person anymore and am taking my life back, it is hard, but the destination, which includes a good night sleep, is well worth it.

3. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

If for you life means you're paying some karma debt, you'll never find your way out.
    Go and see a shrink !
    And relax !
    !Life is here for you to enjoy.
    If not what's the purpose ?
    To suffer ?!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I just do the right thing and putting myself into others shoes always. What goes around comes around, dont want to hurt people in the process of my everyday living.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

good for you~~ once you recognize the patterns in your life, you can see your life from a different perspective, many people go through a lifetime and never learn this.

now you can move forward and be more aware, and no reason to be hard on yourself!! happiness is a choice, not a reward or something withheld from a person. smile

Elena Erykahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanx:))Since I realize all this I am releaved and willing to work with me, but also I felt pain for the people I might have hurt;(( By nature I'mvery emotive... and yet those things happend so I could learn something, but I hurt someone:((

6. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

Take out a payment plan - do something nice every day.

This is a very usefull thing:) You know... once a friend told me that mothers in Nepal ask children, before they go to sleep, what was the good thing they did today:))) And if there isn't any answer they send the child to do some good thing:))

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

When we find ourselves keeping on making the same kind of bad choices we should look for a cause. It can sometimes be found in a past event or series of events that forces change in our mind set. Kinda like "Well if it is like that; I'm goina be like this"  We forget that we told our self "THAT" but "THAT" is the way it will be untill we change "THAT"

As far as I can understand you're suggesting me a more psychological approach?

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe a little but not so much. I am no therapist  but I would suggest that for instance, what ever habitual thing that you would like to quit doing. When was the first memory you have of being in that circumstance.  What was the motivation that compelled you to get into that situation. I think that you will see a clue. If not; think back just a little bit further to see what motivated the motivation that lead to entering into that situation.    At least, something like that is what I was told.

8. muley84 profile image73
    muley84posted 14 years ago

I am very impressed, there are many good replies here. This world is a school. A school where we all learn at our own pace. We do come here with certain spiritual goals we wish to accomplish in this lifetime. We accomplish these goals by under going tests; once we pass these tests, we move on to the next lesson we wish to master. When you keep going through the same problem, it means that you have not figured out the answer yet. If you are having a long and complicated time figuring out a solution, ask God to help you find your mistake. The solution will often come in the dream state, or through sudden revelation. Don't get down on yourself, when you are an old soul some of these lessons could take lifetimes to pass. The sooner you are aware that you are being tested, the sooner you will find the solution.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like a page out of reincarnation beliefs.
      Which would make sense from an over view such as that.
          As far as repeated behavior in one lifetime the only to eliminate the cycle in this lifetime would be to go back and evaluate. What is the catalyst that set the ball in motion.

9. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I think part of what makes our life meaningful is the struggle in our lives.  Things happen and I learned that I am not always in control and I can't always plan everything and there are some excruciatingly painful lessons that I needed to learn and will no doubt use for some future situation.  Because of these things I am less fearful, I seem to have an increased faith, am more accepting of people and situations, and am appreciative of what I have.  But then again I may have just gotten more foolish as time goes by!

I think those Nepali mothers were right to help focus the child on what good thing they did that day.  It's very sweet.

1. T. S. Unami profile image67
      T. S. Unamiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Appreciation is always a good thing, it opens up pathways for positive karma smile. I have the belief that I've been reincarnated several times, finished several lessons yet is unable to grasp the one that I keep failing. I don't let this get me down though.

One thing that I know that can help is by joking about good/bad karma (in good nature of course) as much as possible. I noticed that this helps yourself become aware of what situations karma would appear in, and after being conscious to it being able to affect it.

I dread being in thought loops, so I always make the effort to catch myself. Like a poem from a book I read publicly in 5th grade; "It can be done!"

10. thesecondadvent profile image60
    thesecondadventposted 14 years ago

My Dear Sweet Friends,

The answer is as simple as LOVE!  Love everyone, everyday, in everyway!  If one doeth this, that one shall find Love following them all the time.

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I find this idea of karma debt an inspirational one that makes a lot of sense of the events in my life. My childhood from birth was a doozy! I was an adult for a few years before I knew what it really is like to be happy. I believe this life for me has been about learning some tough lessons like letting go of the past and forgiving myself and others. I think my life is taking a new turn now that those lessons have been learnt. Life has been getting more and more exciting and joyful and some of that is from pushing myself and being willing to work for what I want, wanting to be self supporting and no longer expecting others to take care of me. I am learning more and more about standing on my own two feet, the exciting opportunities that happen for someone who values good work. I do expect people to treat me with respect yes but I do not expect people to do things for me that I can and should do for myself. It makes sense to me that this is the next lesson in the domino string as when I walked around hurt and wounded I did expect others to take care of me and do for me, it is not a good way to live. There is so much more joy in life for us when we are responsible for our lives and placing that responsibility on others goes from being easy and expected to distasteful and demoralizing. I hold my head higher and feel better self esteem when I am responsible for myself and my happiness. This has not always been an easy life but it has been a valuable one, and really quite fun too.

12. Kathy Rimel profile image59
    Kathy Rimelposted 14 years ago

I don't consider your situation as karma, but I agree with most everyone else that when we finally recognize these patterns in our life we need to sit down and thoroughly examine them regardless of how painful it is.  There is evidently something we are doing to keep drawing this energy to us.  We need to change the pattern and spend our energy elsewhere in more constructive places.  Usually just the first step in recognizing the problem is enough to change the energy flow. We usually have a hard time in understanding our part in the problem.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree one needs to identify the problem first which can be difficult before correcting it.

13. marcel285 profile image64
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I have two karma depts that i am in work and progress of repaying. 1. Controling my anger. 2. Sticking to things persistently.

Your Karma depts are pretty easy to work out, they are practically your biggest faults, which will cause you suffering. Numerology can also give you a clue about your karma depts.

14. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

I have to answers to the OP:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

And more importantly:

"Welcome, grasshopper, to the world of awareness."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)