The Florida Church should not burn Quran; it is no service to humanity

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 74 discussions (551 posts)
  1. profile image49
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Hi friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMFHVqG-eY

Quran/Islam/Muhammad are pro-life and do not support the fanatics and Terrorists; they serve humanity and are peaceful.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i am not big fan of quran or any books called holy..for me those are books made by humans but at same time I am against burning books involving so many human sentiments..it is ok not to belief and it is also ok to have debate but burning?...i dont think it is right thing to do...

1. profile image49
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

2. profile image0
        gregster77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

please go on my hub allah had no son and than his pain our salvation

and yea burning the quran is wrong they have JESUS CHRIST IN THEIR.....instead of burning they should make it obsolete or unreliable

2. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should just ignore morons - they only seek attention to their own stupidity and teeny weeny ego's.

1. profile image49

thanks

3. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why not? Did not Muslims around the world celebrate the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers?

Sometimes freedom is distasteful and in America we are free to express our opinions and even if you and I don't agree with the views of the Florida church, they have a right to express them. Perhaps if more Muslims did more to condemn the radical elements in their midst, Americans might feel differently about them. In this regard the terrorists have a victory, pitting non Muslims against Islam and as ugly as that conflict is, it is up to Muslims to show they are tolerant, they are peaceful and they are opposed to the violence perpetrated by their brethren.

1. alternate poet profile image68

It was not only Muslims who celebrated the twin towers terrorist act.  I was in a hire shop in Belfast when it came through live on TV - the whole place without exception (not counting me) were wild with jubilation at the strike.  It may well be the attitude of people like yourself that is responsible for the deep dislike of Americans in so many parts of the world.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
          Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ireland has plenty of its own terrorists so that doesn't surprise me.

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
          Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't know there were so many anti-American Irish.  Good to know this kind of information.

1. lady_love158 profile image60

That was probably the Muslim part of Belfast!

1. Flightkeeper profile image66

lol lol

You might like to think so - but I can guarantee that the whole shopfull of people were one or the other kind of christian, at least they were united for a change.

Yeah, I don't believe a word of what you're saying.

2. profile image0

a debate is a debate and i love debating so go on and read allah had no son thats a new hub i posted

1. Rishy Rich profile image74
                  Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did he had a daughter then? neutral

2. profile image49

Did Quran/Islam/Muhammad attack the Twin Towers? They did not do it; and they never celebrated it.

Why take revenge from them?

I believe American people like equity; that should come out of them .

No but those that did were followers of the Koran, Islam and Mohammed. They showed a hatred for America and for Christians and an intolerance for our way of life, which includes free speech. Like it or not they have a RIGHT to express their views.

1. profile image49

Quran/Islam/Muhammad are not responsible for the actions of their wrongdoing followers. Please be charitable.

There are other civilised ways for expressing your views; no harm in using them.

Maybe so, but that was the way that church chose to express their feelings and that is their right, isn't it? You may not like it but in America we have free speech.

You see many people didn't like a Mosque built at ground zero, but that is the right of the Imam that has the property. Perhaps the Imam can see how his choice is causing harm and generating hatred towards Islam and he will change his mind, then maybe you will not see any more of these Koran burnings.

2. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If we told you we had shut down all the Christian churches and burned their Bible..wouldn't you be happy?

Before you say you wouldn't be, I can lead you to all your threads in which you say the Bible is wrong . Your threads are ALWAYS the same and always against Christians. And you are constantly trying to sell the Quran (propaganda)

You should judge yourself first instead of others.

1. profile image0

awesome do muslims know the truth abou their religion or do they just grow up not questioning nothing ........allah is older than islam he was and is a moon god paganism.learn the truth........read allah had no son my hub

I think that the Muslims are taught not to question the Koran.  How can they question what they believe is the literal words from God?

1. Freya Cesare profile image78
                Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wrong. We had been taught to questioning it every time. to seek more knowledge. to become truth seeker at any time.

1. Freya Cesare profile image78

We had been taught to don't follow our faith blindly.

2. Freya Cesare profile image78

You know nothing about Islam. You just read about islam somewhere and you think you have better knowledge about Islam than Muslim.

We knew who our God is, don't worry. smile

1. profile image0

We also know many of our innocent people were beheaded by Muslims just because they were there.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image78
                  Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many Native American people were beheaded, given disease ridden blankets, and forced out of their homes and off their land.

You don't see them burning Bibles.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
            dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deborah there is a very big difference between Jesus Christ and Church which you really need to see a bit of. Sunday school facts are limited, and although somewhat innocent, they are not the whole picture.

I question the Bible because God says to, says ask him, and to not follow blindly. I do not question because it is wrong. I believe as you do.

I want to know more about him, not less, please consider?

If you want to keep it from your Child then do that on your own, do not cause a mess for me and mine, claiming your buring the Koran for inocent reasoning.

I dont want the retaliation to fester  and explode for anyone, because some one does not know how to educate and control a child to not read a book they wish them not to.

You raise your own kids, others can not do that for you!

You educate to tech them the book is not correct, it  is wrong, but you burn it out of fear that they may see it? , God said he is here with us, there is no fear.

I believe we all must Stand in our beliefe, all of it! No fear or Hate mongering.

Please do not take this like an attack, it is not, you really are terrific and a great counter point hubber, a very good person I honestly think. you make me think deeper with your points.

1. profile image0

But like you, I have my opinion

1. dutchman1951 profile image60

understood Deborah, and keep answering its is all good discussion.

I just know if they ever wanted a Kid to check out something, just tell them no and let them find out you burnt it to keep them from it!,,,,lol

its the first thing they will check out when your not looking.

3. profile image49

I do it with some arguments; I never say to burn the Bible or kill the Christians or destroy the Churches.

To give an argument is a totally different thing. I have many good Christian friends and I also sometimes attend the service in Churches; though I don't join the formal worship.

When my Christian Catholic, Protestant and JW friends presented me Bibles, I thanked them and read them from cover to cover with interest and at certain chapters I could not control tears rolling from my eyes.

I respect Bible (OT and NT),Vedas,Buddhist Scriptures, Zorastrian Scriptures; revealed book of all religions. It is one of the basic five pillars of Islam to believe in the truthful books/teachings revealed by the Creator-God Allah YHWH. One can't be a Muslim without this.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. luvpassion profile image62
              luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No but you insinuate their beliefs are false, yours is absolute and you can prove it even when you can't. roll

3. profile image0

I agree 100%

4. qeyler profile image62
        qeylerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why not burn it? Why not tear out the pages and use them for toilet paper and tell the Islamists that every time they blow up something, even themselves, if they take anyone with them, the Quran will be used for toilet paper in prisons?

What should of happened is on Sept 12 a nice little nuke should have fallen on the Tora Bora mountains.  No invasion, no discussion, America is at war and this is how war is fought.

But that wasn't the path.  So there are boots on the ground in Af. and although most troops are out of Iraq there's still enough to keep the US involved for a decade.

Muslums are in every third world country and or Region, how many war's do you propose we fight?  Kill half the world... nuts!

4. Mancini profile image61
      Manciniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only fanatics burn books. Read without fear and learn to respect cultural difference while celebrating those things which unite us in faith.

1. profile image49

Thanks

I understand

5. Garrett Mickley profile image78

I do not support the burning of the Quran but I will be in Gainesville during the weekend that the burning happens, because my girlfriend goes to college up there and I want to visit her.  I hope nothing bad happens.

I don't want to be mistaken as a bigot or ignorant American or something else that I am not.

6. dutchman1951 profile image60

I actually set an email to the Florida Attorney General asking them to please get a backbone and get involved in this one. Stop the Burning as an act of Religious hatred and against the constitution. They gave me some bull-s...T answer about thanks for your concern.

I am Christian and I stand firmly against this Book Burning, it is an insult and a deliberate act of Religious fanatics to cause a problem for the United States.

No one has asked them to stand and defend anything, they are not representing any cause  or any one in the U.S.,  excep their own self-serving BS.

This is NOT representative of ANY Christian belief what so ever. Its wrong and totally un-necessary.

It will lead to retaliation and then we will be forced to answer the retaliation and it will turn into inocent lives, hurt, mamed or lost on both sides. This is frigin nuts!

1. profile image49

Thanks or your equitable response.

7. profile image0

they are creating their own propoganda Deborah, the Koran is around, has been around for centuries, and everyone knows of it, we protest peacefully as we shall, but insults and attacks lead to counter attacks that lead to more counter moves, and it is going to get way out of hand. We need real civil discussion, not stupidity.

There is no basis to Burn anything. Or start Religious up-heaveal. There is no calling here from God or anyone to do that. It is fanatisim and noting more. It is Self serving over emotional crap! That Pastor needs his A.. kicked for allowing it.

They read the same Bible we all do, and there is no basis for it anywhere in the words written.

"and it is going to get way out of hand. We need real civil discussion, not stupidity."

You don't think flying planes into buildings is already a bit out of hand?

Jim?

last time I looked we are still answering that with troops on the Ground right?  We were attacked and have answerd that are are still not fighting, or did we miss the end?

Do we really need any more than this that we now have? Do a small handfull of Church fanatics get to start problems for the rest of us in Gods good name?

Is not life lost enough, so now we have to start it up at home, buring books, claiming God as an excuse? Are we Natzi or Humans.

I believe, we are in fact answering that attck, that is. Unless you think this is not enough and we need to attack some-one else now?

How many deaths and wars is it going to take, to make you happy and me less stupid!  I stand where I said, this is frigin nuts.

1. profile image0

1. TMMason profile image60
                TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that back-fired Deb. Alot of the Churches in gainesville annonced last week they would teach lessons from surahs of the qu'ran in their sunday sermans.

What a bunch of BS... the qu'ran states plainly the Christian bible is flawed and Christians beliefs are nothing more than shirk, polytheism, the highest of sins in Islam.

But they are going to teach it in the churches around here as a revealed word of god. What a bunch of loosers those ministers and priests are.

Are you sure that the churches will call the surahs as the revealed word of God?  They might point to the surahs and say, these are the passages where those Islamofascists took to believe it was okay to attack people of the Book.

That is not the atmosphere they are putting out about it.

They said, from the steps of Gainesville courthouse, that they would teach the truth of islams revelations from God to momo, and how all the Abrahamic religions are related by faith... or some such BS. I am para-phrasing there.

We'll see... they should be off and running this weekend.

Mohamed is "Not" in Christian Teachings, except to say he is  a profit, a man; just Like Jesus is in the Koran!    and they are doing it in a ChurchI it is representtitves of  the Body of Christ, hiding under a Church banner.

Today on the News that Preacher said "We are still all praying about it?"  If God is not answering him, then why announce to the world you are doing this. He is not acting under Gods authority, this is made up man-made drama.

It is in Gods name they think they have providence, and my bet is the have Over active immaginations and fear Muslums are going to take over the world. It is not fact. and this is, not Gods devine wishes and or answers.

Think for a Minute- How long has the Koran exhisted? If it is to be destroyed, do you not think God would have by now? These folks are not called to do this.

Prayers asking for a decision are not being answerd, so that would say to most Christians, no answer, Gee, maybe God is saying no, or maybe not now.

But they announce it anyway, then say they are in prayer in-case God says no????? thats nuts!

3. Don W profile image82
                Don Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. It's a show of strength and religious pride which can't be legitimised by the teachings of Christianity. Isn't it the case that in Christian teaching such a display is not considered 'strength' at all? Isn't it the case that Christians believe Jesus' power is "made perfect in weakness"? So real strength is to not let yourself succumb to hatred in the midst of things that are hard to bear (like feeling as though your faith is being attacked by a certain group). Real strength is not letting one wrong lead to another. Doesn't Christianity teach that it's easy to be 'strong' in the way the world sees strength (destroying things), but harder to be strong in accordance with what it really means in the Christian faith.

Also is it not the case that doing this is a failure to live up to the most basic tenet of both Christianity and Judaism: the idea of treating others as we would wish to be treated? Is this community treating others as it would wish to be treated itself?
                If the people in this community feel aggrieved by a certain group, shouldn't they instead reach out to that group? Such an act may appear foolish and weak. But didn't a famous person being captured, tortured and executed without a fight seem foolish and weak. And doesn't Christianity teach that this act of apparent foolish weakness was in fact the most powerful act the world has ever seen?

In light of that wouldn't attempting reconciliation be more consistent with Christian teaching? I wonder what efforts have been made in that regard? As it is this will only fuel the flames of anti-religion. It's not Islam Christians need to be worried about. It's people's growing impatient with all forms of religious belief and the trouble surrounding it. That's why so many people want to see an end to religion altogether. This is perfect anti-religion propaganda material. Not a bad thing depending on your point of view, but I'm stunned Christians can't see this themselves. These people don't realise it's not Islam or even 'Satan' pushing people away from Christianity. They themselves are with actions like this, along with those Christians who support it.

2. profile image49

Thanks for your good comments; I appreciate it.

2. profile image49

I think what they intend to do is non-American and non-Christian.

Good human beings are requested to do something reasonabe to stop its occurance.

So why don't the good Muslims tell the Islamofascists to stop beheading teachers in Thailand?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
            Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you apologize for the murders committed by fellow Christians?

Well I'll apologize if you apologize for James Lee and all the others ecoterrorists.

2. profile image49

Like Jones, they also don't listen to reason; ignorant people as they are.

8. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't support the burning of everything either, but lets not generalize and say ALL Muslims are peaceful Paar... just like all Christians and all members of every-other-large-group-in-the-world are not ALL peaceful

9. Garrett Mickley profile image78

I just learned that the same people putting on this Quran Burning "protest" are also doing a protest outside of the Gainesville Mayor's Office because the Mayor is openly homosexual.

These people don't believe in freedom of speech.

10. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm wondering if Mr. Nazir spoke out against the mosque being built near ground zero.  Fat chance, huh?

And I wonder why he speaks so casually about the "Festival of Eid" coming up, this year on ...you guessed it------SEPTEMBER the 11th.   (Wasn't that maybe why the 911 terrorists CHOSE Sept. 11th to do their dirty deed?)   Apparently the Festival of Eid is a day of sacrifice....

And yet this man is so offended by one little church burning books that he's calling for all Muslims to speak against it!  Amazing!

Yeah! Small book burnings are perfectly legit.

2. Rishy Rich profile image74
        Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Brenda

little correction...

1. Eid day is not fixed & it depends on the sightseeing of moon. The Eid day of this year may not be on the same day of next year. The Eid day in Saudi Arabia & the Eid day in Russia is not on the same day. September 11th & 911 is just another coincidence & looking for connection in them is kinda stupid!

2. There are two Eid festivals...The one on the coming September 11th is not about Sacrifice. Its about Submission & fasting. Similar to Jewish sabbath.

I find it amusing that you guys spend ur whole life in a single book with the believe that its flawless. Its also funny how you guys always try to defend your book & faith by finding a thousand interpretations for the same gospel but  you hardly manage time to read other books properly even a single time...Whether it be another religious book.

11. Lex O. Ebubediogo profile image60
      Lex O. Ebubediogoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think the greatness of the USA comes from her liberal view and approach. outside the fact that US is heralded as the beacon of hope for the world she truly is the World's model for social and religious tolerance. lets not turn the Us into Iran or Turkey or Indonesia, where Religion is at the core of social life. acceptedly the Muslims especially those in Iran should talk less about the Ground Zero Issue, anyone who lives in a glass house should not throw stones

1. profile image0

I've had people from other countries (more than two) state that their country leaders tell them that the American government brainwashes us.
        That we feel afraid not to say we love American.

I have no contact with our government.
        My love for America comes from the peace I have in my life here.

12. A la carte profile image59
      A la carteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was dismayed to hear about this book burning for two reasons. First it is reminiscent of the dark age book burnings..a sorry period in earth's history and second, the fact that a minister of God can say that he is sorry if a single death is caused by his action but he does not feel responsible.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/52830#

13. Freya Cesare profile image78

Let them burn it. If Al Qur'an truly book of God, even they burn as much as they able to found it will be existed still, available there to be learn by anyone who wants to learn from it. Allah told inside Qur'an, that He do not need help to preserve Al Qur'an and depending Himself because He can do that. So let them be. Our own life is way more important than their ridiculous acts.

Freedom of speech? LOL. Are you sure? There is nothing freedom about burning book which full with speech.  roll

14. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Islam and peace?
      it's like conservative person praising obama & secularism.

Burn quran,bible they are garbage anyway.

15. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's just paper and ink. It's not like one Florida church is going to wipe out all of the teachings of Islam just because they burn a few books.

Is it rude? Yeah.  Is it disrespectful? Sure.  And they have a right to do so, the same way every person here (including me) has been rude and disrespectful.

I find your assertions about Jesus to be extremely rude and disrespectful. I find your belief that you have the right to tell people in Florida what they should and shouldn't do to be rude and disrespectful.

Hell, I think flying planes into buildings and blowing up taxi cabs to be really, really, really rude and disrespectful.

So, the questions is, is burning books MORE rude and disrespectful than some of the things you've said about Jesus? Nah, just rude and disrespectful in a different way.

You gave them what they wanted, one more offended Muslim. That's what they wanted. That's what they got. You've made them very happy.

16. d.william profile image74
      d.williamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it is wrong to burn the Quran.  I was brought up catholic. although i don't  particularly believe any of the fairy tale stuff in the so called "holy books".  I do not think anyone has the right to judge another's beliefs.  I live only a few miles away from the proposed  "burning site" and have seriously considered attending and as a gesture of my contempt for this pastor and his evil beliefs,  bringing along a few bibles to cast onto his fire in protest..   It just might equalize the distaste for his nasty act.

1. profile image0

You're kidding I hope.
        You'd burn a Bible just 'cause he's gonna burn the Koran?
        Wow.

Hey, I have an idea!  Instead of burning a Bible, why don't you burn a collection of the priest-written Catholic catechisms, or a book of Mormonism? (ya know, those books that aren't Holy Scripture, but are only religious.)

If you really want to burn a book, bur Dianetics! LOL!

1. profile image0

What's Dianetics?  I might buy one and burn it! hahaha
            I'd rather burn all the Hustler magazines, but don't have any of those around either!

1. Greek One profile image63

how many do you need?

1. profile image0

All you have!  I will go clear out my garage to make room for them until this weekend's bonfire.
                Don't send them C.O.D., though, 'cause I won't pay for them.
                wink

Want me to through in a couple of Playboys?

1. profile image0

If they're willing to hear the Gospel, sure!

OH.

You mean magazines......tongue

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

L. Ron Hubbard's book on Scientology.  There was an episode of "South Park" that explained it pretty well.

2. Garrett Mickley profile image78

Now THIS is something I almost support.

I still don't support the burning of any books.  Nor do I support religious intolerance.

Which makes living really hard for me when there's things like Scientology in existence. I'm having a hard time being tolerant of their beliefs.

Hey I'll be up there.  I was thinking of buying a few of the guys books and tossing them in the fire.

I mean, he benefits from the $15 I spend per book, but aren't the Muslims benefiting from each Quran someone buys to burn? I mean, some Muslim somewhere is benefiting from each Quran purchased.

I really hope this church isn't obtaining the Qurans in some dishonest way (such as stealing).  That would be sinful in its self.  Plus, it would put all of these "they bought it, it's their property, their right" arguments to shame.

17. Daniel J. Neumann profile image60
      Daniel J. Neumannposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right. Islam and terrorism have nothing (and I repeat: nothing) to do with each other. Let's be honest. Most terrorist throughout history have been either Pagan or Christian... but I digress.

They have the 1st amendment right to burn the Koran. But they ought not to do it (in my view), if their true intention is to make a statement against terrorism. It's a statement against a religion with many, many peaceful followers.

This cannot end well. But it makes great TV.

Good luck everyone,

Dan

1. RevolveR profile image58
        RevolveRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah ! Good luck !

18. Daniel J. Neumann profile image60
      Daniel J. Neumannposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everybody,

Well, it’s not official, but I just heard the Pastor is cancelling the Koran burning because the Imam called him up and said he’d relocate the Cordoba Community Center. If this is a joke, it’s distasteful for Fox News to report it… but that’s where I hear it so… we’ll see.

If this is true, hallelujah. For a second there, I thought this incident might spark a wave of violence and restrictions on the freedom of speech (a la the same 1st amendment guarantying the building of the mosque and the burning of the Koran).

I really, really hope it’s over. We should take a breath of fresh air, and maybe get to know each other’s beliefs. They ought to have a national Koran-reading day on 9/11. (It’s a short read, compared to the Bible). Conversely, some Muslim nations ought to read the Bible sometime… But who do you think would start the trend, were something like this to occur? Every change starts with us.

If you become tolerant of others liberties, freedom will spread like wildfire. Suddenly, we might actually get along… possibly.

Anyway, just wanted to give ya’ll the heads-up if it’s true.

Thanks,

Dan

2. SilentReed profile image82
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

This post  is self serving.

1. profile image0

burning the koran can start ww3 so please be careful folks

3. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

Lady, perhaps you should read an article I just wrote concerning this topic.

To generalize and categorize all Muslims into one group is ludicrous...

To then support the burning of their holy book is reckless, irresponsible, and completely disrespectful.

Using your logic, when Christian extremists bomb abortion clinics or shoot at/kill doctors, I suppose I should go and burn Bibles?

Using the logic of the Dove Outreach group, the ones responsible for the Quran burning stupidity, since the Bible "isn't written in heaven" (not that I've seen anyway)...the Bible deserves to be burned....

Right?

Check out the nonsense that passes itself off as "Christianity" at doveworld.org

This is probably one of the only times the symbol of the dove has been used to promote fear, anger, and potentially violence...

For shame.

Go ahead burn the bible if that's your wish. You have a right to do so in America. You can even burn the flag here! It's called freedom of speech and Muslims should learn what tolerance and freedom in America means. They certainly don't care about Americans feelings concerning the construction of the Mosque at ground zero, so why should we worry about their feelings regarding a legitimate expression of free speech?

You do believe in free speech, don't you?

@lady when we use word muslim, we are not talking about a person but more than billion people all around the globe...and people are good or bad , irrespective of which faith they belong to...Is burning quran would solve any of problems which usa is facing?..how would it help?..Somebody would then end up burning bible , some veda , some torah...in end this burning thing wont change anything...isn't it?..

Why do you display such open hostility toward American troops fighting in Afghanistan?  Are you so anti-American that you would openly support an action that will result in massive increases in U.S. casualties there?

Maybe you should leave the country you hate so much.

3. Garrett Mickley profile image78

The problem is, these people putting on the protest don't believe in Freedom of speech.  They're also putting on a protest against Gainesville's homosexual Mayor.

1. profile image0

Ahh.
          Well, rock on, Gainesville church!

Sounds to me like they're not afraid to take a stand against political correctness and anti-Christian carp all-around.

Why do you always speak out so strongly against carp?

Have you run out of human beings to hate?

2. lady_love158 profile image60

So? Don't they have a right to protest? Do you see public outcry to end the gay pride parade? Ok, well maybe some, but you still get to have them, so what's the problem? Are we to believe there are only certain issues that should be protected or talked about? Who decides? Liberals? What ever it is they are for or against, they have a RIGHT to express their views just as much as you have a RIGHT to complain about it! Carry on!

Never, at any point in this thread, have I said that they don't have a right to burn the Quran.  I didn't say they don't have the right to protest their gay mayor.

No where have I said anyone doesn't have a right of freedom of speech.

You accused the church of not believing in freedom of speech because they are also protesting the gay mayor. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, but I took that comment as oppostition to both causes by the church. I stand corrected.

Sorry, you're right there, that was a posted in-complete thought. What I meant to say was that they do not believe in freedom in general.  Freedom of sexuality.  Freedom of career choice (if we can't have homosexuals in office than clearly we have no freedom of career choice).

And I do oppose both causes.  I do not oppose their right to believe in (and speak out about) the cause as much as I do not believe in them.

On the other hand, I feel that causing pain to ALL others is wrong, physical or emotional.

1. profile image0

That isn't true at all, that homosexuals can't have career choice.
                  They just don't (or shouldn't) have the choice to impose their wrong view of sex INTO their career choices).  They should keep their sex activities in private, not bring them into legal circles NOR into the CLASSROOMS.

Please define and give an example of "imposing."
                    Also, please give me an example of when/where that has happened.

Why is it a "wrong view of sex"?
                    Because the Bible says so?

The Bible also says that women on their period should be made to wear dirty dirty clothes because they are "unclean."  It also says that women on their period should be sent out to sleep with the animals.

[EDIT]Sorry, should have cited my self.  I can't find the part about being sent to sleep with animals, but I did find this:

Leviticus  15:
                    15 " 'When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening.

20 " 'Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. 21 Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 22 Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. 23 Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening.

4. mikelong profile image61
        mikelongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe there is a difference between hate speech and free speech...

I do not believe that burning a Quran, Bible, Torah, or other book considered sacred is free speech.....especially within the context of this "September 11th" commemoration...

Freedom is not free...most definitely...

Hate speech is free speech however detestable and is practiced regularly by Muslims in EU.

Not in the UK - religious speeches etc are tolerated to an amazing extent but hate speeches are against the law.

2. profile image0

EXCUSE ME. The Quran teaches it is OK to kill those not in their religion. So if the Muslim's believe in the Quran, they believe it is OK to kill non-muslims.

The bible says exactly the same thing.

1. profile image0

Not true.

Yes, it is true.  A small sampling of the many bible versus that preach death to non-believers was posted in another thread for the benefit of the bible bangers who don't actually read their bibles.

1. profile image0

There you go again putting the Bible down and uplifting the Quran.
              Why don't you move to the Middle East?
              Where are your priorities?

So you read it and then willfully dis-obey God's word?

I think there's some kind of punishment listed for that, you better check up on it.

Teaching it clearly does not reconcile with understanding it.  At least those who taught me were qualified in what they teach.

Again, I do not support the burning of Quran or any religious text or artifact for that matter, BUT:

The Bible states:
              You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

I don't know, maybe I mis-understood The Bible.

Indeed you do.  These are all examples of a graceful loving God bestowing his blessings on humanity.

The next round of nonsensical posts will involve the myth that old testament garbage was refuted by the "new covenant" bestowed by J.C.

Christo-facists are at least consistent in that regard.  Their ignorance of the Quran is equal to their ignorance of the bible.

2. profile image0

The Bible, regardless, is the churches book of choice.

Regardless the hatred and calls for acts of violence.  Sounds like a great religion.

1. profile image0

Treason!

I don't know Hebrew.

What I know is what my Bible says, which was given to me by the church I attended while serving in the USAF.

I'm not trying to argue anyone's point, I was just providing what I know so that those of you who want to argue have something to look at other than each other's hateful comments.

3. dutchman1951 profile image60

Deborah, where is a good source that will translate Hebrew well, I would honestly like to look at the Hebrew Bible and see it, what it really says. I honestly would like to know.

Jon in Tennessee

1. profile image0

I haven't found any. I read it in Hebrew

2. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not in the New Covenant

2. pisean282311 profile image63

I too have heard that..but does that get changed if quran is burnt?...it doesn't..there are far more better ways to express than burning of quran...some one then burn bible , some veda and some torah..but it wont do any good to any one...

1. profile image0

Go walk around somewhere in the Middle East, but don't lose your head.

what makes you think that children would read it?..and what does official usa stand for?...one church burning a book would end it all?...and religious books barring few are full of non believer and their treatment stuffs...so i am not surprised with it...

3. profile image49

You are a very intelligent person; it is not written in general terms but is specific for those Meccans who incessantly attacked Medina couple of hundreds mile away. Please read the context of the verse with the verses in the context, some preceding verses and some following verses. You will know the reality.

I respect you

4. profile image0
        Zakiyyah Rahmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please quote the verses.

3. profile image0

The church has a choice not to want the Quran.
      Like it or not.

ya it does..but church is not where world lives..world is larger than church or quran...if people go on burning docs which they dont like..we would end up seeing many thing burnt...doesnt help...

4. profile image0

is this true ...and if so than tell me more

All the Muslim scholars openly confirm that their “prophet” Mohammad said:
          1.    I was ordered by God to fight all people until they say that I am his messenger. If they say that I am not, allowed to shed their blood, seize their property, and capture their women.
          2.    If any Muslim converts to become a Christian or a Jew, he should be killed (Law of Apostasy).
          3.    If anyone steals even an egg, his hand should be cut off (Law of Theft).
          4.    If anyone drinks any alcohol, he should be flogged with 40 lashes.
          5.    Only the blood of Muslims is made equal. Consequently, if any Muslim kills one of another faith he will be required only to pay money to the family, but not be killed. However, the penalty for killing another Muslim is death.
          6.    Hang the whip where your wives can see it. (According to Al-Zomokhshori, in his popular book “The Revealer,” while explaining the Quran, Sura 4:34).
          7.    A wife is considered to be a slave to her husband.see AL Gazyia volume5,.and he said that all Muhammad friends including Omar his second successor,confirmed what Muhammad said.

Note: It is well-known that Mohammad not only owned slaves, but was a slave trader in the market of Mecca, especially after he became a “prophet.” (According to Al Gawzyyia in his book Zad Al-Miad, page 160, part 1).
      He said also that He bought more than He sold, and he like all his friends had Female slaves for sex.

Yup... it is all true.

Islam has a way of speaking for itself. Don't ya think?

Thanks ron... how you been.

Missing you sweetie.

I see you conveniently ignored the similar versus of the bible.

Good luck on your upcoming #2.

2. profile image0

3. profile image49

You should have quoted the verses with the context from Quran. Please don't escalate the situation.

5. profile image49

Thanks for your good feelings.

4. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

Gee there should only be half this outrage when the bible is burned, the cross desecrated with urine or the image of Mary smeared with feces. No, that's art, and protected by free speech and is to be tolerated!

Why the double standard?

Because they are hypocrites.

2. profile image0

Islam is a weapon of Arab imperialism and Islamic colonialism. Wherever Islam has or gains political power, Christians, Jews and all non-Moslems receive persecution, discrimination, are forced to convert. There are massacres and churches, synagogues, temples and other places of worship are destroyed.

mary is mother of flesh Christ not Spirit CHrist GOD YHVH.....she is dead did not attend heaven and her prayer is a combination of what the angel and elizabeth said to her giving her honor beccause she was the chosen lady in israel for that holy job.....GOD DOES NOT SHARE HIS PRAISE ALL PRAISE IS TO YHVH.....roman catholicism however is vatican city and illuminati based in fact they too have muslim symbols in the church..dont be deceived folks get out of babylon

3. profile image49

It was not done by Quan/Islam/Muhammad. Did they do such wrong acts? If they did not do it; why they should be made a target of the Christian outrage? Is it the teaching of Jesus or Mary?

They are doing it in protest against radical Islam. That's the price of freedom and free speech, people get to express themselves in ways you or I may not like. Look at the positive side, at least they aren't walking into a Mosque and blowing themselves up.

2. TMMason profile image60

Plenty of Muslims around the world slaughter Christians and Jews, Hindus and any others they can all the time in their lil rallies against the west. I would dare say hundreds of thousands... if not millions of muslims have participated in burning the American flag or the bible around the world.

Don't act like this one lil group of Christians is doing something muslims would never dare to do to anothers cherished objects. Muslims burn many things around the world all the time. And now they get to watch their qu'ran burn.

It is hypocritical of muslims to cry about it... they are the first ones into the streets to burn and scream hate against everyone who doesn't agree with them, momo and allah.

Islamofascists have actually been very active in Thailand, killing teachers because they believe that the teachers are promoting Buddhist culture. (from an Agence France-Presse article)  I didn't see anywhere in the article of any Imams preaching against these attacks.  This doesn't mean that the Muslims approve, but their leaders should be more vocal and the newspapers should report these disapprovals as well so that we know that the imams do not condone those attacks.

2. profile image49

Is it sanity? Is it wisdom? Is it teaching of Jesus?

5. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I don't agree with the Quran-burning, there's no need to copy Islamofascists and Anti-Christians to get your point across.

I watched a couple of documentaries last night on 9/11.

It brought that day back to me and the hostility I felt.

I don't think I care what has been done to these Islamofascists.

I don't think enough has been done.

I agree Jim, as the time gets close to September 11, the anger and grief is still there and surfaces.

I hear that the number of fatalities of 9/11 are about the same as for those around the world who die every few days due to the US war on Islam - when you get around to expressing the same anger at the other casualties of this conflict you all started it might be easier to believe your feelings.

I don't care if you "believe our feelings"!

I wont be expressing any anger towards the US for its war on terrorism.

In fact I will support with tax dollars its continuation and escalation.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I did have a good laugh over the believe your feelings part smile

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Your bigoted and ignorant post is duly noted.

Good.

Thats why I posted it.

I know, you just can't help it...

I still think you're way behind. lol

2. profile image0

I love many Christians.  The ones who attack me for my beliefs and claim that anyone who doesn't belive as they do deserves a violent death get smacked back. I don't believe in that turn the other cheek nonsense.

Sorry if you can't undestand the difference between that and the attacks in this thread and others on people who have done you no harm.

1. profile image0

I am not Christian but I study the Bible and don't want the Quran.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60

Jim, I watched that same documentary, and it showed us how lax we were leading up to the attack?

It also showed how through CIA dealings, we helped to cause some of this to happen. Yes we were attacked, but we also play with a lot of things we should not around the world, catering to both sides until it blows up in our faces.

Not telling Americans the truth about what we are really dealing in, and then not stiffening our borders when play like that. We take man-made providence for a blind  fact and forget to duck when it comes back at us.

Sit and study, order the full transcript and truly read it.  What was really being said in the Documentary, yes sir, I agree we got hit bad by idiots who blame us for everything that’s wrong in the world, but...we are not innocent players in the game.

You can not consider History for one side only. We are not always right. It takes two protagonists to fight, not one. Think..

I agree Flight, we have enough of this already in this world, it is time to stop it.

dutchman, you can't stop someone from burning a quran in the US.  They are allowed to do it, you can criticize it but it is a right and a form of political speech.

I wonder why nobody has thought or suggested that perhaps the insistence of the Imam to build his Mosque on ground zero is what's fueling the hatred? Why is it just looked at as the Florida church fueling hatred?

You have a good point, but you know that there are many anti-Americans and anti-Christians who will always take the other side.  This imam has already had episodes where he has said hypocritical things, is a slumlord and has taken advantage of people's tax dollars.  But that's not going to matter to those people.

Where do you get this information - the picture I have of him is that he is a peaceful cleric who has done real work in reconciliation and is highly thought of by your administration.

Yeah well how's that "reconcilliation" working out now? Now we have churches that want to burn the Koran on 9/11... tell the Imam I said to keep up the good work!

Christo-facists burning the Quran is the fault of the Muslim community?

Well, at least you're consistent...

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

"Where do you get this information"

Not from China.

3. TMMason profile image60

Yeah Ap. The, "highly thought of by our administration", should be a clue for you.

2. pisean282311 profile image63

@lady i can't say about others...but my stand for ground zero mosque has been the same as burning of quran...i strongly oppose building of mosque there...in same way i am opposing burning of quran..perhaps being non religious i view all religion with same prism and for me bible ,quran are books which are of importance to those who believe and even bible itself says-treat others as one likes to be treated..i believe hate can never win over hearts..burning would fuel hatred and never love...i also agree that it applies to imam and mullahs too...

Flight, you are correct, yes,

and when the Muslums start Burning the Bible, that will also be allowed too... right? do you wish to see that also? It will be "Legal"

it always starts with one non thinking self richitious act, humans placing themselves before God. it is always legal sure it is, you bet ya!

but.... is it worth all of this? now is chance for people with back-bone to act, stop it up front on "both" ends, but...will we?

1. profile image0

No American would burn the Quran in the Middle East. We do have respect for people.
            Why do you think we sent $15 billion dollars to Haiti?

I wish America would stop helping other countries and help us instead. The other Bast--- countries don't appreciate it and continue to hate us.

well it is true that many countries hates america..ironically the one where usa's presence is  there in form of money or military or government relationship hate is far more ...it is sad but true...

They only hate the bigoted vicious and slightly moronic section of American society, that would seem to be predominantly christian I guess.  Others get a lot of respect around the world, especially those that you assassinate.

1. profile image0

Oh I don't take him seriously, he's one of those always blaming America.

lol

Don't read newspapers either?

3. Flightkeeper profile image66

Actually, I should correct myself.  The great Obama has said it was okay to target American Muslims in Al Qaeda who have a hand in planning attacks in the US.

2. profile image0

Why should they hate any, if they are indeed loving Muslims

Yes burning the Bible is seen as a right and a form of political speech as well, and people are allowed to criticize that as well.

6. srwnson profile image61
    srwnsonposted 13 years ago

I don't go for burning books, but I don't go for burning flags either. The reality is, its been done.

1. profile image49

Burning flags is also not a civilized act; this should not be done.It is an inhuman act; as feelings of the humans are attached with a flag.

7. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

well at last bedtime has arrived here in china and I can go to a place of sanity and peace instead of being drawn into this hate filled thread full of bigoted people.  Why does swallowing a bible turn some people into instant morons, is there that much hate and stupidity in its pages !

8. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I went out and bought 4 dozen new qu'rans to burn... already lit a few up... can't wait for the celebration.

Welcome back #1.

I didn't know it was possible to be as low as a 1.

So did you make any smores?

3. profile image49

Aren' you a weird person?! What good has it done to you.

4. RevolveR profile image58

You Americans are so childish !
      Can't you see the truth behind the burning of the Q'uran ?
      What do you think it's going to happen, thanks to your ignorance and naivete ?
      I only hope Muslims wont be as childish as you and play this foolish game!
      This is another attempt to validate the next wars to Iran and their neighbors. To erase Muslims forever.
      I can't believe you still think Muslims are Evil. What more evil can it be a country who kills his own people to begin a war ? Or do you think the 9/11 was a Muslim deed ?  Do your security system is so feeble and full of mortal flaws ?Do you really believe that ?

1. profile image0

So, the conspiracy theory of Bush & 9.11 you'll believe,
        but not any conspiracy theory about the Left or about other Nations....?
        Wow. 
        What country are you in, may I ask?   It would be interesting to know what false rumors are perpetuated in other countries about us and why.

It's an old story in America.  A bunch of dissatisfied, frustrated simpletons look for someone to blame their circumstances on; a charismatic snake oil peddler comes along and convinces then that all will be right if they just persecute the minority du jour.

The good news is, they run out of steam after awhile, claiming they never supported these hateful views in the first place, and return to the cesspool that spawned them.  It's happened here since day one; have faith-this too shall pass.

By the way Ron that snake oil you sold me did nothing for my sore throat.

But, I haven't been this regular in years.

Sorry, I have another extract to try in your throat..

You kinda asked for that one Jim

I know, it was a good one.

I now get why you are so in favor of homosexual marriage.

You go Boi..

I was suggesting bee pollen.  Why did your mind take you in that direction?

You make me hesitant to suggest a cure for your occasional irregularity.

2. RevolveR profile image58

Yeah ! The problem is , that although it always passes , it leaves thousands of deaths behind.

2. BDazzler profile image78

Hmm... is it more childish to be childish or call someone childish.

Why didn't you just say:

"Nanny Nanny Poo Poo I'm bigger than you you"

It would have been equally as childish and far more entertaining. tongue

I LOVE being a Childish American!

I'm not bigger than you, that's why.
            I'm only more sensible
            Because people like you are proud to be 'Childish Americans', instead of perceiving reality,your Gov can go on with all that ##%°° they're so used to bestow upon everybody!

1. BDazzler profile image78

Yes, well, I can see how insulting a whole nation is quite sensible and mature.  Your irrefutable logic and common sense have certainly shown me the error or my ways.

Name calling is always so effective. You should do it more often.

Where is the name calling ?
                I'm only pointing out what is obvious.
                Have you finished high school ? Or you're just about ?

And if it's so obvious, you need to point it out ... why again?

Nah, I'm starting kindergarten this year.  It's great to be a real child.

I need to point it out, because you're blind, child !

You probably need to brush up on your teaching style. As the more mature one, the responsibility is, of course yours, as it is currently ineffective ... entertaining as hell, but ineffective.

5. richtwf profile image60
      richtwfposted 13 years ago

It's not right to burn any book in my opinion. The day you burn a book for its ideas, is the day when freedom of speech has been taken away.

And in this case, for someone to contemplate burning a book which is holy and sacred for over one billion Muslims is asking for trouble. How does burning a holy book help? This would only inflame and incite Muslims and the extremists amongst them would, I am sure, stop at nothing to avenge such a blasphemous and heinous act. Dangerous talk and posturing is inciteful enough but to even dare contemplate burning a holy book like the Koran is sheer insanity. Those who condone such acts need to get their heads examined.

While I agree with you in principle Mr. richtwf...the fact is that both Christian and Muslims are guilty of such atrocities so shouldn't your comment have said 

"And in any case, for someone to contemplate burning a book which is holy and sacred , is asking for trouble." wink

"This would only inflame and incite Muslims and the extremists amongst them would, I am sure, stop at nothing to avenge such a blasphemous and heinous act. "

Now there's a shocker!

1. richtwf profile image60
          richtwfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes luvpassion, I agree with your point and at the time I was only focussing on Muslims, but you're right - I could have phrased it the way you suggested.

Only if you consider the qu'ran a holy book.

It is not.

I am tired of everyone expecting Christians and Jews to accept Islam as a revealed word of god.

It is not.

It is holy to them Mr. TM, you can't simply dismiss a faith just because it isn't yours...should you, perhaps my assesment of you has been all wrong. hmm

My family hasn't fought in so many conflicts for only one religion.

I dismiss its validity as a revealed word of god, yes.

If they want to follow it, thats their chioce.

It does not mean I have to agree it is holy or other-wise. And I do not dismiss it lightly. But knowing full well that if I assert the qu'ran is revealed from God, then I by definition am stating that I know my religion as a Christian is false.

You cannot believe the qu'ran to be revealed truth of God, and believe Christianity or Judaism is the revealed word of God.

Islam was sent to correct the corruption the Jews and Christians had made in the Word of God.  So either that was its intent and it has accomplished that... or it is not a revealed word of God.

So I do not just dismiss Islam lightly...

I must admit that I have never read the Quran so cannot make an assesment as to any of its inherent flaws; however I don't believe that a Japanese textbook is false, just because it doesn't agree with one printed in the US. Seperate cultures. smile

My pioint is the word of God is infalible... it is eternal truth... and to state that Isam and christianity and Judaism can co-exist, is wrong.

Islam was sent to momo specifically to correct the flawed books and religions of the jews and Christians... which the jews and Christians had corrupted.

Only if two of them state they are wrong and change to Islam, can they co-exist. Unless you like Dhimmi status?

"And to state that Isam and christianity and Judaism can co-exist, is wrong."

I hope you're wrong about this. Scary thought.

"Islam was sent to momo specifically to correct the flawed books and religions of the jews and Christians... which the jews and Christians had corrupted."

I wouldn't know as I've never studied their beliefs.

"Unless you like Dhimmi status?"

Please don't insult me sir. sad I don't feel any religion is tolerating another. You can't simply "Weed out the infidel!"

I didn't mean the "Dhimmi status" as an insult.

Simply that, that is the only option for one of the "people of the book", Jews and christians, to hold in Islamic society.

I would not insult you, luv.

I wish I was wrong about the co-existance thing... but Islam was sent because of the corruptions of  Christianity and Judaism, and as such its main imperative is to correct those revealations.

Well if that's what Islam is all about...that's just stupid. For any religion to believe they exist only to correct another is stupid! As I said...haven't studied it.

smile

2. profile image49

Yes Quran rectified "corruption the Jews and Christians had made in the Word of God".

2. profile image49

It is your right to argue but not to burn.

No you misunderstand, it is a right to argue and to burn.

3. profile image49

You are very right.

6. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

The burning of anything is not simply and act of hate.. it implies a fear of the strength of what is being burned.  As a Christian and someone who believes in freedom, I have no fear of the expression of different beliefs and views.. but rather fear those who would seek to limit such expression and beliefs.

Today it's Islam, tomorrow is is my particular Christian sect.

Well it is just as limiting to stop political speech expressed by burning the Koran, don't you think?

1. profile image0

You support the right Deb, but do you agree with the sentiment? smile

2. Greek One profile image63

Yes I do agree with you.

Such acts of idiocy and cowardice should be allowed in a free society...

but of course just because they should be legal, doesn't make them right

There are people who agree with that opinion as well.

What is this, Fahrenheit 451?

I'm pro freedom of speech, but I'm against burning of books for any reason.

Ray Bradbury talked about this years and years ago and now it's coming true.

That scares me.

Books are a source of knowledge.  Christo-facists are against knowledge.  Books are evil and must be destroyed.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Palin is brilliant.

3. profile image49

very right

7. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years ago

I am hoping that idiot church will not do it as it will endanger and probably get many good women and men (soldiers) killed as well as many innocents. Just the word of it caused mini rebellion.

they are going on with it with gusto

http://www.doveworld.org/

here is the web site, take a look
        what is this coming to

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

yeah, let's protest radical Islam by being radical Christians. let's burn their book. that really sends a message.

Gainesville is home to one of the largest liberal arts universities in the country. it is a tolerant liberal arts city. I can't see this going through without a lot of protest.

another religious whacko.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/06/florid … index.html

There are alot of Liberals that work at UF, and a pretty good size college population... but the woods are full of conservative baptists and methodists that have no problem burning that book. And are just waiting to send a message to islamic "extremists", that we don't give a shit about their book and what it says.

And I see nothing extreme about burning a book... no.

Extreme would be beheading people because they burned your book, or drew cartoons about your prophet, or flushed a page of your book, or simply heard about anyone anywhere saying or doing something to your book, or about your prophet.

It is well within the rights of those burning the qu'ran to be able to burn it.

They are not beheading or stoning anyone, nor are they calling for anyone's death because they do not like that persons sexual preference, or for being with someone when not married, or cheating on someone, or speaking bad about momo and the qu'ran.

No... the extremists are on the other side of the debate. Burning a book is not extreme in the least. And it is a sad world when it is considered as such.

Christo-facist violence has lately been concentrated on murdering doctors and gay American citizens, but I have no doubt it will soon turn to the "Muslim problem"  The knife attack on the New York cabbie was just the first salvo from these religious fanatics.

I also have no doubt that Christian militants will justify these acts as being sanctioned by the one true god.

That knife attack was a leftist who was for building the mosque, against a taxi driver who  is a muslim against building the mosque.

So that one is on you all... and then the lefty at the national geographic building last week. The left is off and running.

Wrong again #1, but nice try.  The attacker specifically attacked the driver because he was Muslim.  Although he belonged to the organization,he was not involved in their efforts supporting the mosque.

It's not the left stirring up hatred in NYC, it is as usual the bigots of the right.

9. rebekahELLE profile image84

??

there is no positive in what this man wants to do.
      it will incite what he SAYS he's against.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 … an-burning

1. profile image0

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nah, all you have to do is ask any 8 year old the message it sends.

I'm officially banning myself from coming back to this thread.

1. profile image0

10. rebekahELLE profile image84

how this man intends to protest is in fact inciting violence.

I lived in Gainesville while in college, the city is progressive and tolerant. his congregation has 50 followers, hardly a favorite in the community. the backwoods conservatives won't get involved, except maybe in their own churches to pray.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 … bal-impact

11. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

If the person who is burning the book is the owner of the book, then it is Private Property.   Are we now trying to dictate what someone can do with their own Property?

They also have to follow local laws and ordinances!

12. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Where in Florida was this?

This coming Saturday. 9/11/2010

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, they haven't burned the Quran yet? And where is this protest supposed to take place? Where in Florida?

Lots of people have burned Quran's in the past.  This one is just a big deal for some reason.  Probably because the Church wanted attention and sent a press release to CNN.

It will take place at the specific Church in Gainesville.  All of the information can be found online.

karla here is the addr:

http://www.doveworld.org/

I went and looked at it...nough said

13. profile image0

Well, doing that will only make things worse. It's very innapropriate and will bring forth more hate.

There's a lot of hate on this thread.

Hate of islam.
        Hate of christianity.
        Hate of atheism.

Now I'm seeing hate of homosexuals.

C'mon everybody.  COEXIST.
        http://peacemonger.org/images/CoexistMeaning.jpg

1. profile image0

Thanks for letting me know. I'm out of here. big_smile God loves all of us the same!

2. profile image0

looks like some people didn't get the memo.

14. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/uploadedImages/News/Chicago/Images/Science/Carp-Photo.jpg

Why do you hate me Brenda?  What did I ever do to you but let you catch and eat my entire family?

15. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I think it is getting looked at as a lot worse of a thing, than it actually is.

The church is buying korans and burning them... not siezing them from all the citizens and banning the printing and distribution of them. This is not some round-up and burning like the Leftists have done througout history. This is simply a few dozen Americans excersizing their right to free speech and expression.

and the right to kill U.S. soldiers...

congratulations

You know I keep hearing the left spout that... but I do not buy it.

So you should not use your rights, because someone else might not like it and may hurt people because you excercize your rights?

I don't think so. Muslims are going to kill American soldiers tomorrow and the next day regardless of what that church does. Islam's problem with the US is a lot deeper than that church and its actions.

So you do not support building that mosque at ground zero?

General Patraeus is a leftist?  Someone should tell him quick!

Building the mosque would enhance relations with moderates in the middle east - which is exactly why the Kristian right AND Muslim fanatics want it to fail.  The Christo-facists and the Islamo-facists have so much in common.

There are no moderates in the Middle East, Ron.

If so I would appreciate you pointing them out.

By your definition I guess that's true.

Of course your definition...

2. earnestshub profile image79
              earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One could even say they are "blood brothers" smile

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you feel about flag burning?  Bible burning?  If someone goes out and buys a flag or Bible him/herself, that is.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72

Nobody wants to answer this?  Interesting.

1. earnestshub profile image79

I'll have a go Maddie. smile

I think destroying symbols is pretty dull unless it is still popular with the public after the press have got to it and successful pumped it up to the front page.

Then it may have the advantage of stimulating some debate which it seems was needed before the burning took place. smile

Fair enough.  Just wondering.

smile Nice to see you Maddie.

I didn't know anyone was actually interested in an answer to the question.

Sorry Maddie.

You know I never liked seeing anyone burn the American flag or the bible, didn't like the christian relics in feces either, nor the viginia diaries at schools nation-wide,.. but free speech is free speech.

I also know that many who bitch the guy shouldn't do it also scream about not being made to surender our rights because of fear of the enemy. So I am confused by some of those opposed to this... I understand it will piss muslims off world wide, but I also now that Islam's issues with the West and Christianity, not to mention the rest of the world, are deeper that just a few Christians burning the qu'ran.

I have watched Muslims in the middle of NY burn the flag and spit on it, as they burn other Americans flags and wave sign around reading behead this person or that person. And bush is a NAZI and America is murderers... etc.

And they don't care who it pisses off.

Who are they to tell Americans they cannot burn a qu'ran? It is amazing.

I think very, very few people are actually saying that this church cannot burn a Qur'an.  I hear more people saying that they shouldn't.  And they're allowed to say so.  It's an opinion.  That's freedom of speech, too.

1. profile image0

Yes, and we have the right to our opinions..

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
                      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They drew first fire?

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/07/alg_resize_effigy_terry-jones.jpg

PHOTO:  Afghans burn an effigy of Dove World Outreach Center's pastor Terry Jones, who plans on
                      burning Korans, during a demonstration in Kabul Monday. Sadeq/AP via NYDN.

I think it is their right to be able to do so.

Just as it is the right of the Imam and his in NY to build that mosque, or for this minister to burn his qu'rans. As is it the right of those muslims around the world to freak out and burn whatever they want. But watch they will go well above and beyond... probrably burn a few Christians somewhere in the world.

And that won't be their fault... it will be the fault of someone who burned a book.

How sad of a world is that.

16. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years ago

How many would you like?

Qur’an 9:123 “murder them and treat them harshly”
      Qur’an 3.28 Let not the believers take the unbelievers for friends rather than believers; and whoever does this, he shall have nothing of (the guardianship of) Allah, but you should guard yourselves against them, guarding carefully; and Allah makes you cautious of (retribution from) Himself; and to Allah is the eventual coming.

17. profile image0

Either way, two wrongs don't make a right.

18. earnestshub profile image79

Equal rights.

From the bible.

"two wrongs don't make one right" is right!

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.  (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

19. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
        Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has a right to voice their opinions, at least in the U.S.  This congregation has the right to burn the books.

I personally do not support the burning of any books.

Especially when it is only being done to cause hate and outrage(and possibly larger donations to the outreach center)

I do question the intent and motives of this Pastor?

Fifteen minutes of fame?

Yup... his fifteen mins probrably got something to do with it.

But I know alot of the people who support it around here, do so because they feel islam is being pushed into society and on their children in schools. Their kids are being taught their religion is junk, while the schools in effect support Islam as a real religion.

They are in effect doing what they claim they hate about christians... pushing a religion through the govt.

The School books down here do things such as talk about the Muslim World Brotherhood and other terrorist orgs as Islamic Societies, and alot of the rhtoric in them come from orgs like CAIR and is nothig more than propaganda.

Parents are mad around here and throughout the country.

This may not be the right way to go about bringing attention to the true teachings of Islam, which are fairly hateful and intolerant, but maybe some will finally look at the religion they are defending.

1. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But you sure are doing a fine job of shedding the 'true' light on Christianity....again.

20. earnestshub profile image79

Here is some "truth" from the quoran.

Qur’an 8:7 “Allah wished to confirm the truth by His words: ‘Wipe the infidels (non-Muslims) out to the last.’”

Luvly!

21. earnestshub profile image79

More love and tolerance.

Qur’an 8:39 “So, fight them till all opposition ends and the only religion is Islam.”

We're all guilty of murdering non-believers. Well, except for those who subscribe to no religion.

The Bible states:
        You must kill those who worship another god. Exodus 22:20

Kill any friends or family that worship a god that is different than your own. Deuteronomy 13:6-10

Kill all the inhabitants of any city where you find people that worship differently than you. Deuteronomy 13:12-16

Kill everyone who has religious views that are different than your own. Deuteronomy 17:2-7

Kill anyone who refuses to listen to a priest. Deuteronomy 17:12-13

Kill any false prophets. Deuteronomy 18:20

Please look these up in your home Bible and confirm.

Garrett. where ya been mate?
          I have been quoting these and hundreds of others for two years now from both books, because they spew the same hate as each other. smile.

1. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And they always come up with a reason as to why "you" are wrong and "they" are right or they just ignore it and go on doing these things because they were told to do them.

Sorry man, I'm fairly new!

Glad to see someone agrees with me.  I've been saying the same thing for as long as I've been properly educated in religion (by properly I mean-took the time to introduce myself to them all and do research on them my self).

Most religious texts, from all different religions, say the same thing.

All religion is the same, with different names.

That is very useful information for a man to have. smile You are right of course, they are all the same. smile

3. profile image0

2. profile image0

Apparently Deborah, sadly that is what it says. smile

It sure does say that earnest.

you know...I am starting to see the sources of some of why you post like you do...two oposing books, logical parts missing...not good.  smile

2. profile image0

Earnest I was saying "such love and peace" to them and  just want to make sure you know it.
            I know it says a lot of terrible things. When I starting reading it, I couldn't believe it was "spiritual"

22. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Last time I checked, 9/11 was a day of rememberance for those who had lost their lives in the terror attacks. Though this group certainly does not represent the whole of Christianity, their actions will be viewed that way by the rest of the Muslim world. Not that I give a crap what the arab world think of US. Their actions are inconsistant with the teachings of Jesus.

Funny, it's just like how a radical group of 50 muslims can burn an American flag and now all these Americans think that all muslims are that way.

23. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

I don't understand the book burning. I love books. I don't think I could ever destroy one!

Right on!

If we're going to burn any books, it should be that darned Twilight Series!

Only joking, of course.

24. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 13 years ago

While I agree that they should not burn the Quran I wish that those responsible for the 9/11 attack had been satisfied with only burning the Bible.
      I am tired to death of everyone expecting the U.S. to turn the other cheek and play nice with the imbeciles that have no problem celebrating the mass murder of so many Americans. We did not start this mess, and before anyone says it NO I do not believe the conspiracy crap about 9/11, and it is pointless to try and convince me that any American was involved in that mess.
      If the Afghanistan people want us gone they should quit protecting the people who were responsible period.
      Every time somebody has a problem who is supposed to fix it? The Americans right? That mentality is almost global. There are very few exceptions. But as soon as we have fixed their messes and spend our money doing it then they want to stab us in the back as we are leaving.
      Americans have the right to be and should be fed up with being treated like this. Americans have the right in America to express their opinions on American soil in anyway that does not violate the laws of this country. You all want to talk about burning this book like it somehow compares to the murder of thousands of Americans please! Get a grip already.

Hmmmm  !  Most of the world, that you quote, does not see it that way.  They see that America started it, fueled it, inflamed it and the attacks on America were retaliation.  To blindly say that 'they' are attacking you is to ignore the last 50 years of history.  It is nto turning the other cheek and playing nice as you put it - it is turn the other cheek and stop fuelling the fires that is required, burning the Quran is fuelling the fire in the same way as burning the bible or national flags.

25. mikelong profile image61
      mikelongposted 13 years ago

Ultimately, I remain skeptical of the official storyline concerning 9/11.

There are too many coincidences behind what happened that day that cannot be ignored...

And then there is the longstanding track record.....

The "Mexican attack" on U.S. soldiers used to propel us into the Mexican American War........lies...but Americans died.

The "Remember the Maine".....that enabled us to take coveted Cuba....

The Gulf of Tonkin "affair" was even deemed fraudulent by Lyndon Johnson himself.... His words while in the White House have been recorded for posterity...thanks to the internal surveillance system created by JFK.

And then there is Operation Northwoods........

26. profile image49

Neither is Amadiwhateverhisname threatening to nuke Israel but he does it anyway and he runs a country.  Which is more serious?

nice psychotic little jump there F k er or whatever your name is big_smile

I took lessons from you.

Then you should go back and do your homework !  you obviously haven't quite got it yet big_smile

Thank God for small favors.

27. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

What happened to freedom of religion and freedom of expression you libs are always using when it comes to something you support?

Never mind, I answered my own question.

1. profile image0

Yeah.  I think that's something the liberal agenda follows only if it's Chrisitan-Bible-burning or something like that.

Now come on Brenda - you know the liberals on these forums frequently condemn both sides of this moronic divide, you on the one side and the fundamentalist others on the other side.  There is no difference between either side except you are both wrong.

1. profile image0

Sorry, but I'm not interested in debating any point with someone who leaves out letters in someone's screen name to make it hint at a vulgarity, as you did.

big_smile big_smile big_smile   and of course you don't have an answer anyway, you know that the causes you champion are evil, stone age rubbish.

The liberals on these forums are just as inconsistent as they are in real life.

Except when it comes to being hypocritical then they are as consistent as Sunday follows Saturday.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
              Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, they are among the most consistent.
              They are consistently inconsistent.

My favorite is how Liberals are Pro-Abortion but Anti-Death Penalty.

So it's okay to kill babies but not criminals.

That doesn't make sense.

Either kill everyone or kill no one, can't pick and choose!

1. profile image0

This I agree with you on.
                And I agree we should burn the Twilight books!  ha Even though you might've been kidding about that.

I have a feeling we want to burn the Twilight books for different reasons (but I don't want to assume).

I do hate the Twilight series because I think they are an absolute disgrace to modern literature.  Well, all literature, really.

However, I do not believe in the burning of ANY books. Just a personal opinion.

So, I was half kidding =P

I don't think the argument here is whether a person(s) should be allowed to do it.

I think most of the liberals here have agreed, by all means, you have the right to burn it.

The question here is of ethics.  SHOULD you burn it.

That has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of speech.

1. profile image0

Well, the question STILL remains of SHOULD the Muslims build that mega-mosque near Ground Zero too...

And....I probably have a different view than most about this, but I consider Islam a political movement,  so I personally think it is even unConstitutional to build mosques here; so for sure, it's okay to burn an anti-American book if someone wants to.  But whatever.  "Political correctness" has been winning out gradually ever since the shock of 9/11 wore off (at least from the liberal community).

I agree with you.  That is a question that still remains, "SHOULD the Muslims build the Mosque near Ground Zero".

But, that is not the question to be discussed on this thread, as that is not what the OP posted this thread about.

I do see that they are related, but there are ALREADY other threads to discuss that and I would gladly meet you over on those threads to discuss it there.  However, that is not what this thread is about.

"SHOULD you burn it."

"That has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of speech."

That has everything to do with freedom of speech, you just don't like the speech!

Very sad.

No, it doesn't.

You have the right to burn it.  You ARE and SHOULD BE allowed to burn it.  You have that freedom to do that, and I fully support you having the freedom to do that.

It is a fact, not an opinion, that you have the right, whether I like it or not, to burn the Quran.  I have no issue admitting that.  It is a FACT.

But the question here is of ethics, not of freedoms. Saying "we have a freedom to do it" is just plain stupid.  We know that.  It's in the constitution.  The OP is not arguing that fact.

The thread isn't titled "The Florida Church should not be allowed to burn Quran" it's titled  "The Florida Church should not burn Quran".

I think it's stupid of you to restated the obvious "because we can".
            Wait...wasn't that Obama's slogan? "Yes we can!"

"No, it doesn't."

I'm not sure if you are getting this.

I replied to you not the OP.

You said
              "SHOULD you burn it."

"That has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of speech."

And I said
              "That has everything to do with freedom of speech, you just don't like the speech!"

You may want to go argue your point with someone else you obviously are having a hard time comprehending.

3. alternate poet profile image68

Freedom of religion and freedom of speech are 'given'  -  reasonable human behaviour is all that is required to deal with this situation, extreme stupidity and aggressive moronic behaviour that inflames this or any situation could be defined as a real evil.

But then you already know this.

The real "evil" is having you or the government define what is "reasonable".

Why ??  does it get in the way of your hate for the other?

Wait, I thought the government and it's laws were there to protect us by defining what is reasonable.

Show's how ignorant I am!

"Wait, I thought the government and it's laws were there to protect us by defining what is reasonable."

"Show's how ignorant I am!"

The government thinks it is reasonable to spend money that they don't have.

The government thinks it is reasonable to study the ecological impact of measures to prevent an ecological disaster.

You probably do too.

Actually, I don't.

Thanks for assuming, though.

You know what they say about assuming...

"I thought the government and it's laws were there to protect us by defining what is reasonable."

I didn't assume anything.

Sorry, lack of sarcastic tone on the internet.

Ok.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

The Florida preacher is playing with the same stupidity as those who would retaliate. In my estimation, they deserve to live together forever with each other. Their own torment of each other for all eternity might be a good form of justice to them.

The preacher has been warned repeatedly. And now he carries a gun strapped to his waist as a sign of his good will and God-loving-peace. Idiot of idiots. And those who would retaliate over such stupidity are equally stupid for buying into this junior-high-school level drama.

As I say, may they live together forever and leave the rest of us alone.

Unfortunately the effect of his stupidity is increased action on your front lines.  But then it will be others that get killed, I guess he will then talk mealy mouth sh@te about American heroes dying for (his) moronic crusade.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
            Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And if other lives are lost because of his actions, he should be tried for capitol murder. After all, it was fully premeditated. He is carrying a weapon. Isn't that threat enough?

I posted a thread about how it's all just a publicity stunt to sell his books.  Not sure if I'm allowed to "advertise" other threads, but it's in the "Religion And Philosophy" forum.

4. thirdmillenium profile image61
        thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Burning books or anything is bad for environment, so must desist.  Otherwise, you can burn anything in America. But burning the book in America may cause deaths by burning  of Americans elsewhere in the world. That is the reality. You may fume at it but you can not stop it.

It is like a lion being frightened of a mouse but there it is.

5. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

I have a question?

What happens say...they go ahead and burn (they have a permit to burn as I understand it) and the Media plays this up real good. World wide protests start up, fever builds.

Then a month or two from now, things appear to be dying down.... some very nice fall morning, a rural area, where a police force is small and does not put money into terror detection,( no tax base to do it) Lets say a farm community some-where?

And a Church no where near this place and its members innocent of any of this, are gatherd, with a full fall (nice weather) attendance; with say- sunday school in sesson-kids in the nursery, etc...

and some crasy Islamic Terrorist sympathasier tosses a pipe bomb in the window to answer (get even)?  Or worse one poses as a converting new member and blows himself up while seated in services.

will the fact that burning a book is Legal matter then?
        Will the actions of a small handfull of Religious zealots be any more justified by our Constitutional law then?

be carefull what we ask for folks, we just may get it!

This is the fear I have. sad

We're just asking to have another plane flown into our buildings.

1. profile image0

Wait....
            What do you mean, "we're asking" for it?
            Do you mean we'd be causing it?
            Or you're just very afraid to tee off the terrorists?  Or that we have a responsibility to try to NOT tee them off??

And.....actually, I thought it was "peace-loving Muslims" that are teed-off about the book-burning, so why should we be afraid??

I feel like we should be actively defending our country against terrorists. Whether that is here, or over seas.

I do not feel we should be provoking them.

I also feel that is what's going to happen.

1. profile image0

Read the last sentence of my post;  I edited it, added that last sentence....

So...you equate teeing off the Muslims with teeing off the terrorists, right?

Brenda I think you just scored lol

1. profile image0

Yes, sadly. 
                    Because that guy Nazir or whatever his name is, who called for all Muslims to oppose the Florida church's actions, was making such a big deal about it that he knows it's sure to incite the ire of terrorists!   Even though he said it would be a "peaceful" opposition, I'm sure he's smart enough to know his words can create the start of something much worse.

Another thing------the Koran-burning is gonna take place in AMERICA.   It might be different if that church congregation went to a MUSLIM country and threatened to burn the Koran there.

As it is Brenda, the FBI went to the preacher to ask about his security plans, obvious the FBI thinks that there are some Muslims here who might try something.

I did not see the edit before.

I'm under the impression it is all Muslims that are "teed off" whether radical and violent or moderate and peaceful.

Also, when I say "terrorists" I mean that generally.  Terrorists can be of any religion, any nation.

In this case, it's radical Muslims that I'm afraid of.

Or peaceful Muslims that are now so "teed off" that they become radicals.

Either way, I just fear someone is going to get hurt.

1. profile image0

I do too.
                    But....does that mean a person's rights shouldn't be exercised when it's a cause he/she truly believes in?

Especially when our President actually instigates the OPPOSITE viewpoints by equating Christianity with Islam AND insulting Christians,  AND going around apologizing for wrongs that America's supposedly done, and in other ways stripping away our National sovreignty??

I say if our "leader" can spout his instigating carp from the highest Office in the land, then a little old church in Florida has the right to burn any books they own.    If Obama can tee off his OWN people (supposedly his own people anyway),  the CHRISTIANS in America, then surely Americans can speak against (and burn) an unChristian, unAmerican book.

I am not one of "Obama's people" I am my own person.  I did not vote for the man and I wouldn't if I had a second chance.

I think that it is the churches right to burn a book they own, that they purchased, and do it on their own property, they also purchased.  They sure as heck have that right and if the truly believe in it, well darn it they should!

But that won't change the facts that I:
                      A) Hope it doesn't result in any negative aftereffects causing one or many to get hurt (I even pray the pastor himself doesn't get hurt, which worries me just as much).
                      B) Disagree with their reason for doing it.

Does that mean my rights shouldn't be exercised when it's a cause I truly believe in?

2. Jerami profile image58
                    Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems like there is always someone throwing another log on the fire.
                      It seems as though it is becoming a more acceptable thing to do.
                      And the next guy is going to want to out do the last.

When too many people throw just one more log on the fire at the same time, The flames will reach the mountain tops.

This is what we do when we are left to our own devices.

Mob mentality is forming  and the alpha dog has not yet been determined.

Brenda...think....we are not asking for anything but common sense to prevail. but actions, sometimes how ever innocent enough, can spark something to get out of hand.

Terroist sympathasers Feed off their own version of the Koran, and they feel no remorse or thought for anything but their cause alone. If they take it as an insult, and we have our backs open, like we still do because we are an open free society, then we can and may get hit.

People like Nazir will get them started every time, not only emotionaly but with financial backing. Making it really possible. The idea is to keep your enimies close, keep a hand on them, friendly but with caution, and watch and prevent it from happening, not incite it, and make mistakes.

Where that Book is burnt is immaterial, if some Terror group sees an opertunity they will use it here in the US reguardless.. Because its America does not make it justifiable to take open chances to get hit.

Think, did our betrail of the Muhadeen fighters by the CIA, because Bush senior did not want it funded anymore; stop 9-1-1?  It helped it to happen, and it caused the assination of the Talaban General that was pro U.S. With no US Funds the commanders set up the General, They are loyal to who pays them the most, and It made way for Ben Laudin to take over the organization and made it much worse.???? If the Taliban were still pro US (well paid) would BenLauden still be free? think...

America plays all over the Globe on boh sides, then it is suprised when it backfiers. I have worked on 5 different contenants for the US, I am pro US all the way, be we do stupid stuff!

We do not need any more added on top of what we have to Handle now.
              Things like this book mess are small and add up with others to create a much bigger mess. We need to learn from mistakes and smarten up, not head down an old destructive path.

Nobody here is afraid of Muslums, it is "not" our countries choice or way, and will never be. There is nothing to fear. America will stand.

But legal or not, what if it really causes something to happen as retaliation. Did we really need to take that extra on? 

That Fla. Preacher was on the News, he clearly stated he thinks we have lost  or are loosing to Islam???? Backing down....we are not doing that. but he is looking emotionaly like he's personaly insulted. Well he may well be and have right to feel so, the Administration is weak. But he is not empowerd to act for us.

Look around the world for real answers.  Most of their folks (Muslums') who can afford it are leaving their lands for freedoms like education, jobs, monies, houses, they run to the freedom for life, not to promote take over. There is a difference between extreamists who should be eliminated, and real Muslums who just want a life.

Look at real past history, take for instance the patato famon in Ireland, they flocked here in mass, brought their religion, ideas etc all of it with them. Did we turn into a Irish holding? NO! have we ever really given up America, no! and we will not we are too spoiled on Freedom to stand for it.

It is no different today. We need to see this in real time, not as Religionists and  Zealots.

Think with common sense, not emotion. We are ok, we need to take pre-cautions, thats all thats being said. I offerd the senario as possible, because we do have some crackpots resident in country that are capable of something stupid!   that is all I meant.

and no matter how you ratonialise it, if a nut reacts to the book burning to get even, it was provoked by that preacher, world affairs aside.

I give up...I am toast....lol smile

Did the parents and children of Beslan asked to be massacred on the first day of school?  Did those clubgoers in Bali ask to be attacked?  No, I blame the Muslims terrorists who planned those awful acts.  No one can predict what will happen and if people decide to kill people because of what some preacher did in another country, I'm not going to excuse them because of that act.  You can also say that the media is responsible for enflaming the whole thing, you can say the foreign Imams are responsible for galvanizing their followers, etc.  It doesn't all go down to this one preacher because he had a Koran burning.

It's just throwing stones at wasp nests.

Or at crows nests, if you don't have wasps where you live.

So you're saying that Muslims have no capacity to act sensibly?  I don't liken this to throwing stones at a wasp's nest.  You obviously think the muslim ego is that fragile.  I hope that's not true for all our sakes, because if it is that fragile, it won't take much for it to break and anything can break it.

I am only able to base my beliefs on what I have seen/experienced.

Many of them have an ego that fragile, as we have seen on the news and in images like the one halfway up the page^^.

I will never speak for the whole of Muslims, the whole of Christians, the whole of Americans, the whole of anyone but my self. I do not generalize.

However, I will speak of specific groups.  And there is clearly a specific group who's ego IS that fragile. As I said, we can see in news reports, on the internet, and in that image above.

But you are saying that that specific group represents the entire group if you are catering to their perceptions.

How so?

You were arguing that the preacher shouldn't have the koran burning because that would provoke the fragile egos of a specific muslim group to committing an attack on us, thereby ignoring the rest of the muslim population whose egos are less fragile and wouldn't be provoked by the koran burning.  So you just catered to this smaller specific group acting like it represents the entire whole, and based your fear on it.

It's not just a fragile ego that's to be considered, the burning of the Quran will be seen as a slight against their prophet, and an attack against Islam.

The good thing is that if they are provoked, and retaliate, then maybe folk will realise that the words peaceful and Muslim are not totally compatible.

Sure there are a majority of Muslims that are ordinary folk who are token believers, the same as the majority of Christians are token believers, not radical, but unfortunately the minority who ARE 'devout' are also prepared to wage war by any means.

And it's the radical minority who rule and make the problems.

So the radical Christians have the right to burn whatever they want, provided they own it, and do it in their backyard.

But I doubt whether the radical Islamics will agree that they have that right, and there lies the rub, for what do you stand for, freedom of though, deed and belief within the law of the land, or adherence to a minority opinion that seeks to govern your actions for any reason?

3. dutchman1951 profile image60

I agree Garrett.

Thank you.

6. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

On the News

Only one Pastor of one church is planning to burn the book despite warnings from our government and the protests of many.

Why he's burning the books?
        In remembrance of Sept.11

When our World Trade Center was destroyed and hundreds of our innocents died, not only didn't we grab, hurt, and/or kill,  the Muslims already in the States, but our government allowed them to stay regardless of our protests.
        The FBI says they don't condone it, but it falls under free speech.
        But they will be watching him in case someone tries to harm him.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f146/faxtracks/foxNews-book-burning.jpg

Ron, I meant to tell you this yesterday, but you are my favorite person on Hubpages as of yesterday.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://www.proudliberal.org/i/book_burning33.jpg

That is one odd boyscout meeting you attended.

Especially if you don't have what you need to make smores.

I wonder if Ron would think a picture of a terrorist burning the U.S. flag and a liberal burning it would be an accurate portrayal of the liberals intentions?

Does the liberal want Americans dead?

Well obviously Ron thinks that the preacher has the power of the Nazi government.  Perhaps you should ask Pcunix to tutor him about nuance. lol

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_44ev6Q8AhCw/TBZe-AjWzjI/AAAAAAAAErg/qVhJVKKjTcQ/s1600/bookburning.jpg

Damn Ron, you missed it.

What?! Again no smores.  What is it with Christians and the lack of smores at a bonfire?  They have free hot dogs but no smores.  Haven't they thought about dessert?

2. nasus loops profile image65
          nasus loopsposted 13 years ago

I myself am not what you would call religious in any sense of the meaning.  However I do not agree with the burning of holy books.  This priest, if that is what he is, is only as good as the terrorists who commit and cause the horrific scenes we see every day.  He should show respect to the other religions around the world, after all how would he feel if they started burning his holy books!!

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://animalnewyork.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/book-burning-halloween.jpg

Was King James around when the Bible was written?

I would have gone because they were serving fried chicken.

King James?

James Brown?

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Acts 19:19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all [men]: and they counted the price of them, and found [it] fifty thousand [pieces] of silver.

"I slipped my hand between her legs"

Penthouse Forum.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://theinsanityreport.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jesusfacepalm.jpg

I'm sure he's done that plenty of times. lol

http://cakeplow.com/uploaded_images/headon-710387.jpg

Hope this helps!

Apply directly to the forehead

3. Jim Hunter profile image60

I coulda had a V-8

6. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/4879/487161-2102314656_9b60b09ff9_o_large.jpg

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/Florida-Boy/Christian/NewBibleWOW3.jpg

James Carville with hair.

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://www.farleftside.com/misc/misc2008/hagee.jpg

lol That guy just said it for all the libtards.  Priceless.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image60

http://www.slapupsidethehead.com/wp-content/media/2009/10/burned.jpg

10. Greek One profile image63
          Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Can't we just compromise and agree to shred the books instead on burning them?  There has to be some middle ground here

11. BDazzler profile image78
          BDazzlerposted 13 years ago

Fahrenheit 451

I think I said that like 2 or 3 times here already.
            And I thank you for bringing it up again.
            Because I don't think people are listening.

So, thank you.

smile

12. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 13 years ago

It is impossible to logically anticipate the actions of the illogical mind.
             Our greatest weakness is made available when we underestimate our enemy.  Or fail to recognize who our true enemy is.

13. profile image49

It is not ethical; it is neither serving humanity nor democracy. Jesus and Mary did not teach it.

1. profile image0

Jesus didn't teach the Koran, period.
            And Mary has nothing to do with any of this.  Matter of fact, she has nothing to do with ANYTHING anymore, because she died long ago!  Please don't confuse ALL Christianity with the Catholic catechisms.

And its not destroying humanity nor democracy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)