jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Are PK (pastor's kids) more likely to become atheist?

1. 0
    Baileybearposted 5 years ago

Just see there's a few on here, plus have read some personal accounts by PKs. 

A famous PK is Katy Perry.  Can't think of any others off top of my head (but plenty of "pop stars" from christian homes eg Britney S, Justin B)

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Alice Cooper is another PK.

I don't know if anyone has done a study, but such results would make for an interesting read. I have known PKs and they have remained Christians. It depends on the pastor in question I suppose. Does he place his reputation above the spiritual/emmotional welfare of his kids? Does he see their failings as a poor reflection on him? Is he a fire breathing hell and damnation preacher or a quiet local parish vicar who is more interested in jumble sales to raise mony to fix the 800year old church roof?

Too many variables at play here to make any kind of generalisation from a couple examples of PKs we know.

1. 0
        Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I suspect it might depend on the parents too - whether they are abusive & hypocritical behind closed doors

2. QudsiaP1 profile image59
      QudsiaP1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Some cultures forbid the partners in a marriage to be from separate religions because this usually means that the next generation will not know what to choose.

However, in cases where both parent are of the same belief yet the offspring chooses to be atheist or switch over to another religion may be due to the loopholes or hypocrisy that they find.