Who do you think is more likely to be good at heart, an atheist or a hardcore re

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. mridulrai profile image67
    mridulraiposted 8 years ago

Who do you think is more likely to be good at heart, an atheist or a hardcore religious person?

2. Levi Legion profile image60
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

The answer is: it entirely DEPENDS.

There is no easy answer to this Q. So many factors come into play, including, what is your definition of "good at heart?"

My opinion toward "gods" is atheism, but do I think all or even most atheists are good at heart? No way I could answer that. There are atheists who have no morals and do horrible things, just like there are deeply religious people who do horrible things because they think their "god" is pleased by their actions. I've known many religious people who are so blind to their hatred, yet they talk about wanting to love others as "god" does.

Bottom line is this: it all depends on the individual. Atheism doesn't necessarily make someone bad and religion doesn't necessarily make someone good.

mridulraiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your insight Levi.

3. sassydee profile image67
    sassydeeposted 8 years ago

Based on just this I would think neither one!

Based on just this as in based on the question itself? Well, ok.
      So you think it depends on the person's morals rather than his religious or non religious inclination right?

2. sassydee profile image67
      sassydeeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Basically yes because there is different religions and different meanings of religious people and I know some who are atheist and religious and both can be kind hearted about certain things and what not!

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

I don't think it matters all that much.
    If anyone witnessed an elderly person fall down they're likely to help them get up whether they believed in God or not.
    Some of the most religious people are against using their tax dollars to help the most unfortunate living among us in the United States.
    It's not unusual for someone to be pro-life but wants to eliminate welfare. A religious person may be in favor of cutting Social Security and Medicare or other benefits for seniors.
    When it comes to religion most people "cherry pick" which scriptures they'll follow and which one's they will not follow. More wars have been fought in the name of God than one cares to remember even though most believers are taught: "Thy shall not kill."
    (There  are no "asterisks" or exceptions in the commandments).

So atheists is your answer right?
      Don't be diplomatic.

Psst: I am an agnostic myself and no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to make sense out of religion.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't being diplomatic but rather just saying it's human nature to help someone in trouble. The other stuff I stated illustrates how even religious people may not always live according to their own doctrine.

3. mridulrai profile image67

Ok, Thanks bro smile

5. abdussalaam profile image80
    abdussalaamposted 8 years ago

In terms of *liklihood*, a religious person ought to be more good at heart than an athiest, because a godly person is conscious of a reward from God for having a good heart. In the real world, people are people and both the godly and athiests are a mixed bunch whose condition of the heart is irregular as it is dependent on inconsistent moods and emotions.

When one does it for the 'reward', that isn't really kindness don't you think?
      I agree with the inconsistent moods statement though. It's very true. People are more likely to help someone out when they in a jovial mood.

2. abdussalaam profile image80
      abdussalaamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

People are naturally selfish, and we do things for others in return for something. The reward for helping others could be a 'thank you' or a praise or even karma.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)