Sex in the Bible

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (134 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

NPR had a great interview on this afternoon with an ordained Baptist minister,  who has written a book called 'Unprotected Texts', about sex in the Bible. 

Her credentials:

Jennifer Knust is an assistant professor of religion at Boston University. She received her doctorate in religion from Columbia University and a master's degree in divinity from Union Theological Seminary in New York.

Her conclusions, in a nutshell:

Knust's book, Unprotected Texts, suggests that the Bible shouldn't be used as a guidebook for marriage or sexuality because passages related to sex, on topics related to monogamy, polygamy, sexual practices, homosexuality and gender roles are more complex and nuanced than popular culture has led us to believe.

"The Bible offers no viable solution to our marriage dilemmas," she says. "There is no such thing as a single, biblically based view of legitimate marriage."

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/10/133245874 … d-marriage

So, do you think the 'church' can come out of the dark ages and into the light of reason, if they accept the text as it was meant to be read?

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gosh I hope so!

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's quite amazing that as time marches on and new information and discoveries are presented to religionists, they are being forced to change their positions on beliefs... in public.

I'm quite sure in private they will deny it, just like everything else they deny. smile

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol Somehow, methinks thou art focusing on the individual. If that's the case, what my posts have been, from the beginning, are what's on my head. It's a very cluttered place in here. If you met me on the street you'd assume I was atheist too.

1. Beelzedad profile image58

Easily uncluttered. Break your indoctrination, it is the conflict of your intellect and your indoctrination at odds with each other, overseen by your conscience.

You see hard evidence in front of you and your intellect can't help but accept it, yet your religious beliefs are jeopardized by the acceptance and the conflict begins. Unfortunately, because you have already accepted without question your religious beliefs, the intellect loses the battle and the conscience is in turmoil.

smile

1. profile image0

I do not accept anything, without question. Why in the world do you think I read your posts? I know the Christian philosophy is wrong. I've known that for years. I simply never bothered to look at it critically until I stumbled into this forum. But I cannot subscribe to the philosophy that the search for the spiritual is pointless. Not until I ponder it to its logical conclusion.

Yes, you did: Christianity. You were raised in a Christian environment your whole life and heard nothing but the indoctrinated beliefs of your parents, which you accepted uncritically. That is standard for most all childhood religious indoctrination. I understand you won't accept that, few believers do, until they break their indoctrination and then understand it completely.

There is nothing logical about the 'spiritual' whatsoever. It violates many laws of the universe and has never been shown to exist. What's to ponder, exactly? smile

1. profile image0

Notice the past tense. Just because I did, doesn't mean I can't work it out of my system. I am incredibly independent minded.

And yes. The spiritual is outside the bounds of our present understanding. But I believe that what we know is the tip of the iceberg  as to what we have to learn about this universe. When I believe we have attained an understanding beyond all things then I'll breath a sigh of relief that we have reached that pinnacle.

Why do you begrudge the search? It doesn't take away from the search for answers in our physical world. The more questions we ask, on every front, the better chance we have of finding answers; it would seem to me. I always thought questions were good things.

The Borg Collective comes to mind.

Nonsense, the spiritual is understandably pure bunkum. If you took the time to understand the world around us, you would understand that, too.

Perhaps, in the physical universe, I would agree.

Perhaps, the last two thousand years of wars and bloodshed as a result of that search could have something to do with, not to mention that whatever you're searching for is already understood as pure bunkum.

Yes, sane questions are good things. smile

1. profile image0

Love the borg comment. At least I know you don't sneer at sci fi. I was worried hard core atheists didn't have any imagination at all.

I assume the fact that you keep blaming all war on religion is simply the fact that most of the developed world was established on Judeo Christian ethics. I can't help but wonder what the alternative might have been, but I guess to you that is simply idle speculation.

Not crazy about the word bunkum. Is that really a word? Sounds like something from deep in the Appalachians. I would think someone who watches sci fi would be able to concede the point that there are things out there beyond our wildest imaginations. I realize the thought of spirit that connects all life may be a little farfetched for you. I don't see why it has to be. Why the line in the sand?

3. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heb 13:4  Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

Gen 18:12  Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?

The scripture in Genesis speaks of the time when God promised a son to Abraham through the womb of Sarah which had been closed up all her life.  Abraham was 99 years old and Sarah was 90 at the time.

1. profile image0

You realize Hebrews was attributed to Paul? Theologians have argued for years over whether or not his rants on sex were due to the fact that he was a repressed homosexual. Couldn't that type of frustration easily cloud his judgement?

1. profile image0

You must be a Jew.  Paul is the apostle to the gentiles.  Peter confirmed him.  Read the Bible and find the truth.  Stop listening to those who have an agenda to downgrade believers.

1. profile image0

I can assure you sir dent. I did not kill Christ as I'm sure your statement implies. I am simply sharing what I have read over the years from different sources within the Christian community. I doubt there is any agenda other than finding the truth of our history. I see no reason to consider truth a bad thing. I don't think God has a need to fear truth. My beliefs in the message as shared by Jesus are strong enough to wade through anything and survive the search. Believe it or not, it grows stronger daily. smile

1. profile image0

My post had nothing to do with who killed Jesus.  The gosepl was first preache3d to the Jews.  Gentiles wwere outsiders and outcasts.  There was no hope for them.  Paul was called to preach to the gentiles while the first disicples preached around Israel. 

Peter confirmed Paul before the disciples in Israel but not until God confirmed salvation was for the gentiles also.  A man named Cornelious sent for Peter and at the time Peter received a vision from God. 

The Holy Ghost came upon the gentiles as Peter preached the Word to them.  When the Holy Ghost came upon the Jews before, it was after they were baptized.  Read the book of Acts.  The transition is between chapter 9 chapter 11.

If you are not going to heed what I wrote just let me know.  I will leave you to it with no hard feelings.

1. profile image0

I'll read what you wrote, if you promise you will read the transcript of the interview I posted. smile

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
            DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peter was the Apostle to the Gentiles as called by God. Read ACTS. S/Paul only claimed to be the "apostle" to the gentiles. Paul and Peter didn't get along so well. Paul chose to be the "apostle" to the gentiles because he wasn't so welcome in the jewish community, due to his actions prior to his "conversion". Paul was of the Pharisee Line and a Jew with Roman Citizenship. On numerous occasions Peter and some of the other 12 stated that there where those who claimed to come out from them, that was teaching the wrong message and to beware of them.

1. profile image0

Peter went back to the Jews and preached to them.  That is what he and Paul had a discussion about.  It was against the law for a Jew to go into the house of a gentile, let alone eat and converse with them.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

Jesus did it all the time..."the sick do not require a doctor" and " The rightous do not need salvation, the sinners do" to paraphase some quotes from Jesus. So are you saying that Peter was Jewish in his faith? and that Paul was Christian in his faith? Seems to me that Peter and the other 11 Disciples worked with the Elders of the Jewish faith in Jerusalem. At least that is how it is written in the book of Acts.

1. profile image0

Peter and the other disciples were all killed for their faith, except for John.  Peter was arrested and sentenced to die by Herod.  An angel came and removed his chains and led him out of the prison where he was sleeping between two guards.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78

yes, that happened later...around the time the temple in jerusalem was destroyed the second time. around 70AD. Paul did most of his writings around 40-70AD. His works were written before the Gospels.

Acts 8:14-15
                    Acts 9:26-28
                    Acts Chapters 10 and 11
                    Acts 21:17-19
                    Just to point out a few ....

4. Vcize profile image60
      Vcizeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish, but I doubt it.

5. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the general understanding on the topic of sex and sexuality in Torah primarily --not the bible-- is functional for even today's "pop culture". It recognizes the public or private expression/effects of sex, sexuality, sexual behavior and, of course, unions based on sex alone, unions based on love, unions based on financial necessity, unions based on politics (marriage for unifying nations), circumcision (for unifying tribes/nations; health and oddly enough sexual identification --like a tattoo today), unions based on traditions, sexual health (of the person and regarding spreadable diseases even back then). The largest and most difficult of all is sexual expression of the common people publicly and its effect on society as a whole.

Realistically, the issues faced 1 year and 5000 years ago are still the exact same issues faced by today's society.

Does "pop culture" want to remove the stigma of the "rules" pertaining to sexuality? Of course they do. Mainly so it cannot be used against them, second, so they can continue to see it as a marketing tool for nearly every single man-made product (see any male or female model advert) but also because it is an ever constant reminder that humanities sexuality has not progressed to resolve those same issues.

James.

1. profile image0

Hi James. I have the utmost respect for your opinion and knowledge on what the intent of the message is. I'm confused with your answer and would love to have a better understanding. I honestly believe promiscuity and a base opinion of the relationships of people is wrong; but I can't help but feel that voices such as this author's are right when they say that we are using scriptures as a weapon against good people.

Do you believe the Christian church is right on their stand on homosexuals? It seems so unkind and unfair to think someone would have to live without love simply because they were born different from what iso labeled as the norm.

Their views on divorce don't seem to take into account the individual.

I would never argue this point with you. I want to know your thoughts only. As I said before, I deeply respect the level of knowledge you appear to have.

1. profile image0

No doubt.
          You know, it is an odd thing. A heretic who's name shall remain nameless, was arrested and charged with all kinds of things, for his use of words from a book to bring accusations against another person. It has become common "law" practice for people- to rely on a singular book or compilation of books to attack, counter-attack, refute or repulse another person and/or their lifestyle. Seems like the author hit an nerve.

One precipice I encountered years ago was this very thing. It got me to thinking and searching. I scored Vedic notes, Hebrew Tanakh and other references regarding sexuality. All of them seemed to solidify a single point: sex is a direct reflection of the human spirit. It is noted that the spirit within a human rests in an area just around or below the "belly button". In Hebrew, it is lower in males, their gonads; in women their womb. Sexuality was defined by the unity of spirits --this is actually what the word marriage means. So, by a person expressing their sexuality and marrying one after another or multiple marriages, unity with an identical gender-- displaces the spiritual nature of the individual. This is something the "church and state" have not picked up on, but are quick to pick on. In the case of divorce, I find Y`shua statement spot on- hardening of the spirit caused divorce and a drive of greed, a lack of peace.

Generally speaking, only a very small percentage of the collective human society accepts alternative sexual relationships. From the male perspective it is a tolerance for self satisfaction of two females engaging each other; but it ends there. On the female side it is a safety net from testosterone and perhaps a shopping partner; but it too ends there. So both tolerate for selfish reasons. From a legal perspective, laws pertaining to sex and marriage are quite complicated as it is. Adding more fuel to a roaring fire could set the whole thing ablaze and they won't be able to extinguish it. From the church viewpoint, their vantage is to create either isolation (self-proclaimed superiority --based on greed of power) or an acceptance to a degree for exactly the same purpose.

It is wrong to force another to accept or suppress. It is wrong to include or exclude, really. The state and church should not force anyone to 'not be' a sexual type nor should a sexual type force other to 'be like' it, regardless of what elements of expression are used (books, mass media, parade, tent revivals, legalities, town hall meetings or Hollywood big screen pop-culture gods [sorry for the Neil Gaiman injection there], etc).

The absence of love ( pure, lucid, spirit energy ) is really the root of it. There is such a void in humans that needs filling. Their expression of this void, in so many forms, PRO OR CON is just mind boggling.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the clarification. But, just so you know, this is not a sore spot from anything the church might have done to me. I don't think there is anything I've done that could make anyone thump me on the head with their Bible. I suffer from a heightened sense of empathy, or maybe it's simply sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong; but I have seen too many people feel as if they have been hurt by views the church espouses that appear harsh to me.

1. profile image0

I know many who have been hurt also.
              As for someone thumping you: Send them my way before they do ..he he.

James

6. GodTalk profile image58
      GodTalkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First of all you look at this woman's credentials and assume that her conclusions must be correct. And you are assuming that all of the other scholars throughout the centuries that have reached a much different conclusion are wrong.  You make some pretty big assumptions here. Could these assumptions be because you are looking for a reason to deny what the Biblical record actually says about sexuality and you found someone who agrees with you?

1. profile image0

I assume she is a voice within the Christian community who has spent her life so far studying the words in the Bible, studying the history of this world, Trying to understand how one influences the other and then using her God given mind to process that information and share her findings.

What I have ceased to assume is that the standard evangelical on this site has any interest in the truth of this text. It appears they pick and chooose to find whatever they can to condemn everyone but their own little clan. And the things they use to condemn do not apply to them.

I am over being shocked by this behavior. I apologize if this topic has caused you any stress. It certainly didn't give you pause to think past covering your ears and eyes and mouthing the words given to you by someone whose credentials are probably far less; again, I am well past the shock. smile

1. GodTalk profile image58

I am not picking an choosing anything. And for the record, I am not stressed over anything either. I have read the Bible and know that what she says is totally wrong.
              Also, your assumption that evangelicals are narrow minded swings both ways. I assume that you agree with her, which is why you seem offended by what I have said. Well, that is one point of view.  Other scholars who have spent their whole lives sifting through the texts disagree with this. To not acknowledge them is rather picking and choosing as well. But the nature of truth is narrow if you believe it is absolute. Truth conforms to reality and falsehood doesn't conform to reality. That may sound narrow but if there is absolute truth, you can have it no other way. And if there isn't absolute truth, then we have nothing to disagree over. Everyone is right. No one is wrong.

7. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh good grief.
      The woman is apparently an educated fool.

1. profile image0

Not an educated fool. She is apparently a woman who loves her religion enough to attempt to help people see the simplistic teachings of those who have no understanding of the history of the civilization that was given the text. she has spent her life trying to find a better understanding. I don't see how the search for truth should be scoffed at.

1. Cagsil profile image69
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Curious, it is scoffed at by those who claim to know the real religious truth. lol

2. profile image0

We all have a conscience and common sense.  Well....normally, people do.
          Even a little child can understand the main concepts, even to the depths, of the Bible, if they're taught by common-sense people its simplicity!   I understood the Bible in general even as a child; it sure doesn't take a higher education, nor does it take learning the original language or customs, overall.

No but the lack of understanding human nature does work against you. wink

1. profile image0

I understand human nature very well.  Too well, really, for my own apathy, which I would live in if it weren't for that understanding.

You understand human nature very well, yet fail to see how you fight against yourself. Ironic. smile

2. profile image0

I would have to disagree with you on the point about understanding ancient customs. I think it is an imperative to understand the culture that existed during both the New and Old Testament if we are to understand the meaning and intent. The church has thrown out many ideas that it has deemed inappropriate for modern faith. I see no reason not to reevaluate the stance when new light is shed, just as it has already done a thousand times before.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image61
            Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, Some people does not seem to have common sense.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Sex ON the bible would have looked more intriguing - but less convenient smile

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I'd say not a hope in hell of that happening. smile

1. profile image0

Aww, you gotta have a little faith. smile

2. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Earn:
      Glad yer back!
      Now, the bible and sex?
      hmmmm...Ok I've got it!
      I'm about to have sex and I open the bible tear out a thin page, tear it in half (the width), tuck my index finger in and shape it to fit. I cover it with a layer of the 'weed" of my choice and roll a nice fat duby!
      All it'll take to make the bible important in making this a memorable sexual encounter is to light it and take a couple deep drags...hold my breathhhhh...and I can promise you that the bible will be appreciated by my g/f and I! ...all for the sake of "LOVE."
      TY god thing!   smile:
      Qwark

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol G'Day mate! I am glad to see you here. Sex in the bible eh? lol lol lol

4. earnestshub profile image80

Maybe if I believed that bronze aged scribble written by a handful of goat herders about someone they never met, that was inspired by an invisible super being who is nonetheless a murdering psychotic I may have some faith.

But I have very little faith in anyone believing such dribble being able to change from a belief as bizarre as that. smile

1. profile image0

Well, when you put out that way, maybe I did waste my time typing that whole thing. Lucky me; most of it was cut and paste. But hey, if it gets through to one person I'll consider it time well spent. smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you took me out , no more talk then.

5. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

How does one have sex inside a book? lol

1. profile image0

You need a very big book, but it can be done.

Agreed. Cut out the center of the pages, so you can have the mattress on the bottom of the book, and still be able to close the cover. tongue lol

1. profile image0

lol lol

Now go away. smile I really want the fundamentalists to read this. It's important.

sad You now hurt my feelings. yikes

tongue NOT! tongue

2. optimus grimlock profile image60
        optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wont you get paper cuts tho?? paper cuts on yo butts lol

6. ChristineVianello profile image61
    ChristineVianelloposted 13 years ago

heh...

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

There are too many goof balls in here to have a phiosophical conversaton!

Hey DIY,

To be honest, there really isn't any real philosophical discussion to be had about religious scripture. It's all junk, because it was corrupted before it was written. lol

8. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Dude theres tons of sex in the bible, they are commonly reffered to as "The Begats", and there's a whole lot of begatting in the begining part.

9. GodTalk profile image58
    GodTalkposted 13 years ago

By the way, to defend my teachers, their credentials match and in some cases exceed this woman's degrees. I have nothing against her credentials, just her conclusions.

1. profile image0

Of course you doubt her conclusions. (although I doubt you bothered to go to the link) I am not in the least surprised by this. My hope is that this line of thinking that has blinders as large as the one's found on atheists will die a peaceful death and the message as given by Jesus will survive. It was resurrected once, so I see no reason to doubt that it can do it again. smile

1. GodTalk profile image58

Yes, I read the article.  And truth will ultimately prevail. It will not die. And if you think I have blinders, then do as Jesus said and take the beam out of your own eye before you take the speck out of another persons eye. Your blinders are obvious as well.

1. profile image0

My words exactly. Truth will prevail. I have faith in that. smile

Speaking of telling the truth, when are you going to enlighten me with your tales of a "spirit that connects all life"?  smile

1. profile image0

OK.  You obviously know by now that I am somewhat of a bumbling idiot when it comes to all things spiritual. I couldn't possibly explain all of the bizarre thoughts that roll through my head.

I read an article yesterday written by a Jewish rabbi that explained part of it pretty well.  In a nutshell, he said if you take the ancient name YHWH and don't try to put any vowels into it, just say it like it stands.  It sounds like a breath. That's what the divine is.  The breath of life.  We breath out, the trees take in our breath and vice a versa.  Every thing in this world is connected. Every breath you take, you inhale the life given to us and every time you exhale you give life to something else.

And, I know, you're face palming now because there's no air in space; the space within the universe can appear to be, for the most part, a barren place devoid of life as we define it.  So it could't be a universal truth.  But, I think maybe that's simply because I'm not deep enough to follow his thought completely through, or we haven't learned enough about the fabric of the universe. I don't think it as simple as the concept of oxygen and carbon dioxide.  It's deeper than that.

I don't claim to be enlightened spiritually.  I claim to be horribly interested in the topic.  I also realize that the advent of the internet has been detrimental to people like me because every question I have I can find 100 answers and 1000 opinions on the topic. But I still find it interesting.

No worries, not a single person throughout all of history hasn't had the same problem with the "spiritual."

Why not? If you can't explain something you deeply believe, it would appear you have no basis for belief. Again, I refer to childhood religious indoctrination as a result.

Notice that your explanation has everything to do with biology and nothing to do with the spiritual.

No, the Rabbi is ignoring biology.

That's why it's important to break your indoctrination and being thinking critically so that you're detriments are minimalist.

Try here for a start:

http://www.criticalthinking.org/aboutct … inking.cfm

smile

1. profile image0

OK. I went to your link.  Good article.  I'm sure there are things contained in it that will be valuable to me; but I am not in need of as much help as you seem to believe me to be.

Not entirely true.  I can think of several off the top of my head. Just because you and I are lacking, doesn't mean there has been no spiritual enlightenment throughout the course of history. Buddha, Jesus, the Dahlai Lama (not sure on the spelling of that one).  Anyone that has attained a higher level of peace and understanding has found a conneciton with the spiritual. 

Arggh. This argument drives me to distraction.  I don't propose the concept of anything from my childhood.

It may have escaped your notice, but they will have to be interconnected.  One cannot exist without the other.

I think that was meant as an insult.  Did I miss something?

I would disagree and hope you spend more time at that website and others with critical thinking skill education.

Not at all, they may claim to have, but clearly they are just making those claims with nothing but their word to support them. Like your poor example of that Rabbi, he fantasizes about spirituality when all he is describing is biology. 

Of course not. I get that.

What cannot exist without the other? You need to show spirituality as opposed to it being more than just an imaginative concept in your mind.

10. Midnight Oil profile image81
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Sex in the bible - What a total outrage hehehehe .  Got to be in Revelations, as this is a revelation to me.

Must be the ultimate sin too along with being naked.... Get a grip people, we all have sex, in or out, before and after marriage - even priest and nuns do it..!   

What next?  Chocolate in the bible?

Sex comes are nature as eating and sleeping to me. For bible sex, I would not know how to sort out sex from sin. If all else fail or in doubt, there is a Jerkin for Jesus website. Through photo of Jesus, you can and are allowed for your second comings too.

Since 98% men do it, it sounds too gay for me

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you realy think everyone has so little self control?

In high religious areas yes, because to suppress sex so deeply forces it to come out like monster somewhere else, like with many clergymen

1. profile image0

No one forces them to be clergymen.  So I don't see how that even adds up.

There are 100,000 clergymen sexual child molesting court case in the USA.

If there is one report child molestation case there is 9 unreported.

2. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If by suppression you mean monogomy, then yes, very suppressive.

Monogomy makes good sense to me and most people anyways, I can't even handle one girlfriend well enough.

11. earnestshub profile image80

Religion should stay out of other peoples bedrooms, boardrooms and bathrooms. In fact religion should mind it's own affairs full stop.

Clean up your own nest first.

12. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

People should stop being exhibitionists and keep their bedrooms and bathrooms out of the public eye.

I agree, I don't see why people should display their private lives.
      That is not the issue here though is it? Religion should keep out of telling others how to live their lives. It is megalomania, nothing more or less.
      What give a believer in one god of thousands the right to be dictating to others?

1. profile image0

The supreme God, the Creator, the Savior who died for all of mankind, the One who formed the conscience inside you.
        It's that simple, earnest.

Says you and every other religious individual. However, untrue. wink

1. profile image0

Says you.
            See, I can play that game too.  LOL

Actually Brenda, you can play the game as you call, but it's unfortunate when you do, you fail to remain honest. wink

1. profile image0

How so?
                (Gee, I can't believe I'm asking that of a person who fibs about me and then puts a winky smiley facey there.)
                Oh never mind!  You'll just fib about me again!  Please don't bore me, 'cause I won't wanna play with you again.

Brenda, I didn't fib about you, but does show how you do not understand human nature.

Edit: You put yourself before others- means selfish. Basic understanding of human nature, which you don't see. It's not being honest. smile

Good, you're learning something. A religion person should know their place. smile

1. profile image0

Indeed I do.
                    But I'm sure we're not talking about the same place. wink

By the way, I think you're taking this thread WAY off-topic.
                    How did a sex topic lead to this?  ...Usually, in conversation, it's the other way around and other topics lead to a sex topic....

I don't wanna play no more, 'cause the sex topic is boring!  So bye. big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image80

Which god is this again? Your version?

1. profile image0

God's version.

Hey, earnest, it seems like you were gone forever!  I rather missed debating with you.  But others took up the slack, never fear.  big_smile

I got banned for 4 months by some religious fanatic who couldn't handle truth or even disagreement. Like I said, that would be your god out of thousands.
              A bit like taking a ticket in a lotto pool without any winners.

1. profile image0

Well, for the record, it wasn't me.  I stopped even reporting people a long time ago, 'cause someone insulted me but when I stuck up for myself, I was the one who got banned.  Go figure.  So I guess liberals and/or atheists are button-happy too.....

Hey, what "thousands" of gods?
                Do you have names for them?
                Are any of them sex gods?

Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities. Those numbers are probably a very conservative estimate because we have no accurate information before 4000 B.C. This means any dieties worshipped by man before this period are unaccounted for.
                  In truth, the possibilities are nearly infinite. For example, in Hindu the entire living universe is merely a unique manifestation of Ishvara. This leads to the fact that there are 330 million "gods or goddesses."
                  Some examples of the different dieties documented are:

Monotheism:

Judaism: Yahweh
                  Christianity: God
                  Islam: Allah

Polytheism:

Greek: Zeus, Hermes, Hades, Hera, Aphrodite, etc...
                  Roman: Iuppiter, Mors, Terra, etc...
                  Norse: Odin, Thor, Loki, Njordr, etc...
                  Hindu: Krishna, Vishnu, Kali, Ishvara, etc...
                  Chinese Folk (Simple): Shangdi, Mazu, Shou Xing, Tu Di Gong, etc...
                  Shinto (Japanese): Izanagi-no-Mikoto, Izanami-no-Mikoto, etc...
                  Celtic: Cernunnos, Damona, Epona, etc...
                  Egyptian: Ra, Isis, Anubis, Osiris, etc...
                  Summerian: An, Ki, Enlil, Enki, etc...
                  Babylonian: Sin, Marduk, Ishtar, Nabu, etc...
                  Persian: Simurgh, Rostam, Gaokerena, etc...
                  Aboriginal: Bunyip, Kurreah, Mutjinga, etc...

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_gods … z1GWvJaz8a

This short list is from wikepedia.
                  OK?

1. profile image0

Actually, the Bible mentions a few "gods".  And of course I learned about the myths about "gods" in grade school.  Most gods are only figments of people's imaginations of course.

2. profile image0

Interesting that out of all of those, one survived the millennia to be worshiped by millions today. Perhaps, (and I could be wrong here) because it's the only God that's real? smile

I do realize there are other cultures that do worship other gods in the world, but I assume the topic of discussion is the great I AM.

13. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Sorry  ignore my post ,didnt scroll back far enough.
    Headed back to the pumpkin patch smile

smile You have a pumpkin patch? I am just digging the soil for one of my own. My G'kids love fresh pumpkin from the garden.
      Enjoy your day. smile

14. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Yes to Pumpkin Patch smile
    Oh and hey Earnest grow some Avocado plants ( Grandies will love it) from dangling the stone in some water .

Check out Izzys hub -
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Plant-an-Avocado-Seed

Seems all relevant to propagation lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)