Hey HubPages Atheists and Agnostics need forum post Signatures

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Jason Marovich profile image89
    Jason Marovichposted 12 years ago

Don't forget the smug smiley face, please.

1. profile image0
      Ryan-Morganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

R.Morgan smile

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you are suggesting we are less than nice... but posting a hostile/sarcastic suggestion that we need to wear a scarlet letter do some sort.

I think there might be a log in your eye blocking you from seeing the hypocrisy there....

2. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Actually this thread is more deserving of the eye-roll...

wordscribe43 roll

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Emile R.  big_smile

Why are we doing this?

4. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

A troll thread.

Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You forgot the smug emoticon, Troubled.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be pandering to a troll.

Yeah, because you've been here a month longer, and have over 4000 more forum posts than I do.  I'm the troll...right.

Certainly, in the respect of starting this thread.

If you don't agree that Atheists and Agnostics need forum Signatures, just say so.    You calling anyone a troll is trollish in itself.

That would be pandering to a troll.

5. shape_shifter profile image60
    shape_shifterposted 12 years ago

I truly understand the need for threads that unite certain groups of like-minded people to facilitate the process of expanding and promoting one's art, IE "Fiction Writers" or "Self Published Authors," etc... but isn't this one just a vessel to divide and ostracize people based only on their personal beliefs? Slippery slope, my friend....

It's tongue-in-cheek.  No one needs me to group agnostics or atheists in the forums, they make it clear who they are.

The final words written by many atheists and agnostics on these forums include baby talk and smug emoticons.  I'm trying to save y'all the extra typing. wink

1. shape_shifter profile image60
        shape_shifterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awesome... As a young child I hit a large beehive with a baseball bat simply because there was a pond within a few steps and a jump.... (The fact that my cousin wasn't too far away and not paying attention had nothing to do with it... I think.) Anyway, I think we would've been good friends wink

LOL.  Nice analogy.  Sadly, no pond for me.

1. shape_shifter profile image60

That's OK, some of us just love the sound of bees... smile

1. kirstenblog profile image78
              kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

May I just say, I love your avatar!

Same.  It's an epic avatar.

2. shape_shifter profile image60

Yours is pretty wild as well... I want my bay window to look like that!!

2. Jason Marovich profile image89

If that doesn't deserve Signature status, I don't know what does.

6. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Oh my gosh! Is the purpose of this thread to identify those of us who are different? Are you going to tap our phones or something?

It seemed like a pointless thread, but there are plenty of those.  It never occurred to me that there could have been sinister intent. Ahhh, the naivete of agnosticism.

That's a rather wild statement, given my reply to shape_shifter.  Don't worry, all anyone has to do on these forums to find atheists and agnostics is go to a Christian topic.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There lots of other things to find there to.  Even a tiny bit of truth if one has the stomach for it.

There's a treasure trove of philosophy and conflicting points of view in the forums here at HP.  I don't take on anyone in a harmful way when I argue there, and most people, believers or non-believers are pretty civilized.

The smugness and 'last word' sickness applies to both sides, but there just happens to be a glut of atheist/agnostics that are using the tactic nearly every post.  Seems it would be easier for them to just to have author signatures.

9 times out of ten, when I start a forum thread anywhere its to gather information for a future article or story.  I'd never portray another writer on HP in a negative light purposely, simply because I feel we shouldn't go around messing with other people's income or livelihood.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah. I posted while you were posting. So, good. You aren't a bad guy after all. Just a little touchy on the topic of religion. That's OK. There's a lot of that going around on this forum. smile

I think many of us, me included, let our arguments run a course where we forget there is another human being at their computer terminal.  When we assassinate someone for their beliefs, or lack thereof, we're hurting an actual person.

My intent on creating this forum topic wasn't malicious, nor was it an attempt to convert anyone.

Like how the OP reads here?

2. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've made a believer out of me. smile Just kidding, but I appreciate and respect what you've said.

Thank you, Emile.  This topic shows that most atheists and agnostics are tolerant, which may come as a surprise to some readers on HubPages wink

3. wordscribe43 profile image91
            wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am curious... what was the intent of the thread?

I'm working on a piece about labels.  For three days straight, I logged on to see the same flourish at the end of a statement by an atheist (no names, please).

That's where the OP came from.  I didn't create the topic to get atheists and agnostics here to label them.  My OP is an irony.

People near and dear to me are atheist and agnostic.  One atheist rattled my morning (I, like most believers, don't appreciate people ridiculing fellow believers because of their beliefs).

Nor do I think that you, nor anyone else on this forum topic, should be thrown into a group with this less sensitive person, just because you share the same non-belief.

I don't consider atheists to all be capable of acts committed by Adolf Hitler, please don't include me in a class with some over the top televangelist.  smile

7. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 12 years ago

I believe in fairies and unicorns and other things that don't exist, does that exclude me from being either atheist or agnostic? tongue

No.  I assumed all atheists and agnostics believe in faeries and unicorns.  They're possibly using mainstream unbelief as a cover for their belief in sprites and pixies and stuff.  Spot on.

Oh, yay! I can still be a member of the club wink

The fairies tell me that life is too short to be taken seriously so try to enjoy it instead! big_smile

Amen.

Ramen! big_smile
            Oh wait, thats the church of the FSM (flying spaghetti monster), can I join multiple clubs? Can they even contradict each other? That would be fun! tongue

I am not a real fan of sanity, its over rated! tongue

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
              paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! Outside the box is where the true enjoyment is.

2. Jason Marovich profile image89

I get a kick out of people considering people, like say moderates, who do want to belong to more than one club, insane.  I heard the label applied to Newt Gingrich recently.  He's moderate, he must be insane.  No, he's moderate and he's trying to pander to the evangelists at the last second.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?  Now, you're just making me hungry.

Then may his noodly appendage touch you soon! big_smile For surly your plate shall over flowith with the goodness of pasta!

8. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Here you go!  where's yours?  tongue

The snake appears only mildly uptight, Randy.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

paradigmsearch is nonplussed. What if I am undecided and still just trying to figure things out?

I'm still of the lab rat theory. big_smile

God help you, you'll be getting it from both sides of the debate, paradigmsearch.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's what I do. big_smile

10. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 12 years ago

I am just happy not to see any bible thumping radicals damning all of the commemorators to hell, so far.

Any human beings that wish ill will upon other human beings in the name of religion have foolishly elevated themselves to god-like status.  Pointing out passages in religious works that refer to an unpleasant underworld is reasonable.  Using that as a club to beat someone with is an error, an error any deity would surely frown upon.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would argue that anyone who stereotypes religious or non-religious groups (e.g. as "smug") makes an error of a similar magnitude.

Interesting.  I suppose you feel that way about Christians and Muslims being judged as a group, too?

2. profile image0
        jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said Jason.  I find this a lot here, and it is sad.  I have had to hold my bitter tongue and keep quiet to not lower myself to their sad state of reality, or lack of.

11. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

lol Adolf Hitler,an atheist? not surprised  at this type of assumption.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)