Jesus is a "stumbling block"

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

Jesus is a "stumbling block" who makes "the majority of the world err to serve a divinity besides God".

Even Jesus the Nazarene who imagined that he would be Messiah and was killed by the court, was already prophesied by Daniel. So that it was said, "And the members of the outlaws of your nation would be carried to make a (prophetic) vision stand. And they stumbled.Because, is there a greater stumbling-block than this one? So that all of the prophets spoke that the Messiah redeems Israel, and saves them, and gathers their banished ones, and strengthens their commandments. And this one caused (nations) to destroy Israel by sword, and to scatter their remnant, and to humiliate them, and to exchange the Torah, and to make the majority of the world err to serve a divinity besides God. However, the thoughts of the Creator of the world — there is no force in a human to attain them because our ways are not God's ways, and our thoughts not God's thoughts. And all these things of Jesus the Nazarene, and of Muhammad the Ishmaelite who stood after him there is no (purpose) but to straighten out the way for the King Messiah, and to restore all the world to serve God together. So that it is said, "Because then I will turn toward the nations (giving them) a clear lip, to call all of them in the name of God and to serve God (shoulder to shoulder as) one shoulder. Look how all the world already becomes full of the things of the Messiah, and the things of the Torah, and the things of the commandments! And these things spread among the far islands and among the many nations uncircumcised of heart. - mishneh torah

____________________________________________________________________________________

what r ur views on this?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have slowed down from beating myself up over trying to clearly understand Christian reasoning and logic.

I'm building a World record Sand sculpture event along with a sand sculpture contest. Since this Town I'm building it in, is filled with Morons, Bountiful, Jehovah witness, Catholics and dozens of other disagreeable denomination, I  thought it would fun to have a Jesus carving sand sculpture contest then invite the mayor or some other hard core Fundies to judge it, then sit back and laugh on how they fight over what Jesus is and looks like

What do you think?

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's true that Jesus was and is a "stumbling block", but not in the way that your article makes it sound.  The book of Romans and other books in the Bible tells us these things.

The Jews stumbled at the life, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus the Messiah, because they were immersed so deeply in the legalism of the Law that they couldn't recognize the messenger of Love and Faith when He (Jesus)came and died for their sins. (Romans 9: 29-33 speaks about this).

Romans 9: 29-33:

"And as Isaiah said before, 'Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodom, and been made like unto Gomorrha.'

What shall we say then?  That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

But Israel, whtih followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

Wherefore?  Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law.  For they stumbled at that stumbling stone;

As it is written, 'BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A STUMBLING STONE AND ROCK OF OFFENSE;  AND WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH IN HIM SHALL NOT BE ASHAMED.'"

The Roman soldiers played a part in that error too, being bribed to spread the false rumor that Jesus's body had been stolen by the disciples instead of being resurrected. (Matthew 28 records this in verses 11 through 15).

The Jews were being provoked to jealousy by God;  they kept straying from God, God wanted them to come back to Him, and so God sent Jesus to earth to offer Salvation to the Gentiles too, not just the Jews, to show them that it takes Faith to be with God, not just strict adherence to legalities.  Remember the Jews were legalistic and lacking in Faith; they thought that only people who stood firm on the letter of the Law ("good" Jews) could be God's children.  Romans 10:3 says they went about trying to establish their own righteousness instead of recognizing God's righteousness.

Jesus bridged the gap between the letter of the Law, and Faith.  The Jews didn't want to see that.  They stumbled at the very thought of Jesus being the Son of God.

Does that mean they had to fall without hope of getting back up?  (One can stumble, but not fall!)....No.   Romans 11:11 says that through the fall of the Jews, (the offer of)Salvation is come to the Gentiles, for "to provoke them to jealousy".  ....to provoke the Jews to jealousy.

Chapter 11 goes on to warn the Gentiles that God's judgement is gonna come on them as well as the Jews.  But also His Love and mercy is available to all people.  That middle ground is Jesus, the only mediator between God and man.

Romans 10: 12 says "For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek; for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon Him."  That Lord was Jesus the Christ, the Messiah, the divine Word of God in the flesh, who is now ascended back to Heaven and will return someday to judge every human being who remains alive then.    The thing is, as I've told you before, anyone who has died in the meantime before Jesus returns has already had their fate sealed;  they will either go to Heaven or hell, based upon whether they accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior or not while they had minds to think with and the opportunity to make that choice.

The Bible makes it clear that it's not where a person is born or what race or creed they want to go by, that saves them, but that it is only those people who give their hearts and souls to Jesus Christ who will be saved.

pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@brenda how does it change anything...i mean bible can say anything it wants...it is just one of many holy books all across the globe...

i was more interested in knowing what u think...not some book writtenr 70 yrs after death of jesus ...that book still would hold some value if jesus himself wrote it...i would still consider it to be jesus's point of view...what mark or mathew wrote means one of 24 other versions...4 where chosen by humans...who knows gosphel of mary or gosphel of judas where closest to what jesus said/did?....

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no valid Gospel of Mary or Gospel of Judas.  You're mistaken if you think there are "24 other versions" of Matthew and Mark from which a person can choose at random.

And there is only one Holy Book.

That's what I'm trying to tell you.

Your article quotes the "mishneh torah"?,  which, according to the words you posted, quotes (or at least pulls information) from the Bible (it mentioned Daniel).  So, since you asked for an assessment of your article, I told you what the original Book containing that book of Daniel says!

You will never come to the knowledge of the Truth if you continue to pull bits and pieces from the Bible to try to uphold other religious writings.  On the contrary, it is those writings that should be assessed against the writings in the Bible.  And that's exactly what I did, I told you what the Bible says about Jesus being a stumblingblock, and I explained why.    Are you listening, or are you determined to keep stumbling at it?

@brenda ok

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

There once was a sculptor in a city near here who was commissioned by some Catholic Church to make a statue of Jesus. The unveiling made national news when the archbishop complained that the feet were too large, humongous. Apparently the rub was that the sculpture
    thought that Jesus was big on feet. True story.

lol

3. Smireles profile image64
    Smirelesposted 12 years ago

Sorry, but your post makes no sense. The New Testament teaches that Jesus was God manifested in the flesh. (God shown in the flesh). So it is not possible for Jesus to be the stumbling block you say in turning people away from God. Belief in Jesus Christ as the Saviour or Messiah is a matter of faith. Anyone may mock, laugh, or lie about Jesus Christ and believers, but belief in him is a matter of faith. Either you have it or you don't. Period.

I have strong faith in up and down , right side, left side and front and back that is what most people have a matter of faith in and belief in.

Most people on earth do not have faith in Jesus period.

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most people on earth do not have faith in Jesus period.

= - = - = -

I think that for the MOST Part;   people DO!

But cain't Niobody abide by everybody-elses definitions!   That is why everybody is asking everybody else what their definition of everything is!

"IF" everybody wanted to be honest, ...   they would take this oppertunity and admitt it!

Jerami

I think that for the MOST Part;   people DO!

How in the world can most people believe in Jesus when most people are not even aware of the Bible or Jesus even exist?. I know from the  experience touring 6 continents except centro south parts of Africa

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)