New York Giants at San Francisco 49ers

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (51 posts)
  1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

The Giants and 49ers were both underdogs this past weekend, and both came away with a win. Now they'll play each other for the right to advance to the Super Bowl. Who do you think will win this matchup?

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a tough one! I picked Giants for the upset against the Packers but missed the 49ers win. The 49 defense were immense and it'll be interesting to see how Manning copes with it.

Many see this as a battle of special teams, and point to 49ers as being slightly better in that area - for me the key will be Manning-  he's had an amazing season and didn't look flustered against GB - if he enteres the forth quarter only a few points down the Giants will win.

Trying to be fully objective I'd probably have to say the 49ers shade it - but it's not going to be easy for either side...

1. 910chris profile image75
        910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After watching the Giants completly destroy the Packers last night, it's the G-Men all the way. I do think that it will be a better matchup to tell you the truth. I believe it will go down to the wire, as long as both teams show up to play. I would love nothing more than to see a rematch of NYG and the Pats in the SuperBowl!

2. Daffy Duck profile image61
    Daffy Duckposted 12 years ago

I think the 49ERS will win.  The Giants were impressive against the Packers, no doubt about that, but the 9ers have a better defence.  They also have come to truly believe in their Q-B.  Their turnover ratio is incredible.  They also scored 17 points off turnovers the last game and scored 2 touchdowns in the last 3 minutes proving they don't give up.

Both teams seem to gang tackle.  This will be an awesome matchup.

I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Turnovers can be earned, but luck is often involved. The Packers defense was terrible at preventing teams from moving down the field, but turnovers kept them winning games all season.

Unlike the Packers, the 49ers defense is also good at forcing the other team to punt. The Giants haven't faced a defense this good since November 13th... when they lost to the 49ers in San Francisco. That game snapped a Giants 3-game winning streak, including a huge upset win on the road over the Patriots (a team that was unbeaten at home going into the game) the week before. Sound familiar?

I expect this one to be real close. I bet on the Giants last week, but it's going to be hard to do the same this week unless the payout is right. I was actually surprised by the number of Giants fans in Green Bay last week. Will they travel to San Francisco as well? I'll have to do research on that, because I know the Giants have played some huge playoff games in San Fran in the past.

3. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 12 years ago

For those of you who know me, you know that I'm a diehard Giants fan through and through (not to mention "True Blue" big_smile).  My hubs on them alone should certainly dispel any doubt. 

I'm still giddy over what the G-Men did to the Packers yesterday.  They're playing their best football at the right time.  It seems like everything else was a dress rehearsal (or scrimmage for that matter) until now.  We're now 60 minutes away from returning to the Super Bowl for a second time in four years.  Beginning with the Jets (which is really when the playoffs started for the Giants) the Giants have been flat-out wreaking havoc on opposing teams as of late, so with that said, LET'S GO BIG BLUE!!!

I live in the Hudson Valley region of New York or about 90 minutes north of NYC and so where I was yesterday in a sports bar, the place was rolling and rocking with nothing but Giant fans.  So if any of you are planning to be in the area, email me and let me know and I'll tell you where I'll be wink

Lastly, you can't spell Elite or Believe without the letters E-L-I

1. wavegirl22 profile image47
      wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

need i say more. . ..

Go Blue .. you big blue wrecking crew!!!!

1. dohn121 profile image81
        dohn121posted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile I was able to see Victor Cruz in person at an autograph signing in Poughkeepsie...Sure, I waited four and a half hours but it was worth it!  Just thought I'd let you know smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool Dohn!!

I am taking the Giants to win this game just because they are the more balanced and complete team in terms of offense and defense.

I really like defensive teams but when you look at it, defense can cause turnovers and interceptions, but you gotta score also. Last week when NO lost to 49ers, they had four turnovers and two interceptions, but still they were able to close the score gap because of Brees nice execution towards the last minutes of the game, so the QB is a big factor and NO lost only by 4 points. Smith proved that he can he can execute as well, but Brees is better overall in that game.

I really like to see a man crying again because of joy like what V. Davis did, (you gotta experience that once in your lifetime), but Giants will win this game. Eli is a big factor. smile smile

I can't disagree with you one bit, Pretty big_smile

"It's going to be a bloodbath!"

-Chris Canty of the Giants' prediction on how the NFC Championship will turn out.

"Brandon Jacobs is soft."

-Jerry Rice on how he views the 6' 4" 264 pound running back of the New York Giants

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62

I am postponing all my Sunday pm activities to watch the games. 

I checked the weather and it said it will really rain today in SF. The fans and players are in for a good and challenging game, hope nobody get hurts and they are all safe (rain plus bloodbath).

I bet Jacobs is "charged up" by now!!

Good luck to your team Dohn! smile smile

4. JBeadle profile image81
    JBeadleposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't be too giddy... the Pack had been playing some good ball this season and somehow their wheels just came off Sunday.  Turnovers seem to come in bunches and then the pressing and mistakes.  Anyone whose watched the Giants has seen the terrible brand of football they can put out there at times.  You never know on a given Sunday.  But the Giants are hot right now and got all the weapons.  They certainly put a hurt on my Packers and ruined my Sunday yesterday!  So good luck to them.  And yes, we even got two breaks from the refs and got hammered.  I hope they keep that game film and play it before each and every game next season - for motivation.

5. Mikeydoes profile image42
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

Beginning of the playoffs I picked the Ravens and the Giants in the Superbowl.

I picked the Giants to win.

6. bruzzbuzz profile image62
    bruzzbuzzposted 12 years ago

I picked New Orleans and Green Bay this past weekend so I am not the best person to judge but I am going to go with the Giants because when Eli Manning gets hot, like he did in 2007,he is hard to stop. So, there you have it. Since I picked the Giants, it will probably be the Niners who win.

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I'm pulling for the Niners.  The win over the Saints was incredible, so I was worried they would be a little ripe if they played the Packers.  The Giants had an equally big win, so I think both teams will be ready to play. Vegas odds show the Niners as 2.5 point favorites.  Must be the home field.

Home field advantage, a much better regular season record,  plus a victory at home over the Giants earlier this season give the 49ers a slight edge in the betting community. A lot of people also look at point differentials, and the 49ers were +151 on the season while the Giants were -6, a dismal number for a division winner, although not as bad as the Broncos, who were outscored by 81 points in the regular season but still won their division. I would guess that's probably a record.

2. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After watching my beloved Saints get beat (literally) last weekend by a defense that was seemingly made of iron and anger, I have to go with the Niners. The way they can strip the ball, causing turn over after turn over is simply amazing. They utterly dominated Drew's passing by intercepting him more in one game than he'd been intercepted all season (or so it felt). I think the Giants have their work cut out for them.  Respectfully for the sake of my east coast transplant buddies Mighty Mom and  wavegirl22, I hope it is a great game, but I gotta go with the NIners on this one.

I'm not a Niners fan, but I love watching the way they gang tackle and get their hands in their to strip the ball constantly. That defense is hungry.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I know a lot of New Yorkers in SF.
    We may switch coasts, but we don't change allegiance.
    Go Eli. All the way.

1. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!!

9. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

The Giants will beat the 49ers (sadly).

They will then go on to lose to New England.

greekOne.. .defense wins championships is what the Super Bowl this year is going to define. . .

sorry no ring for the Pats this year. . anyway they are evil.......

hush your mouth this that sort of prediction!

2. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As per Greek One's accurate predictions above....

I am never wrong... unless, of course, I put money on a game... in which case I am always wrong

Im sending you however much you want to put on the Superbowl. .

send address ASAP plse!

History shall repeat itself and Lombardi is coming home to New York!

Allin go GMen!

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
          Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amen Sistah.

10. Bdoncity profile image61
    Bdoncityposted 12 years ago

The Giants defense is leaps and bounds better than the team that took the field that day. It's not even close. The first time the Giants and 49ers played this season, the Giants did not have Umenyiora, Tuck & were without Boley for the second half.

The Niners surprised the Giants by coming out and passing on first down, and as a result, they didn't face many difficult 3rd down conversions in the game. With health, and the knowledge gained from the first matchup, I feel New York is setup to play a big game defensively.

It is critical for the Niners to have success running the ball with Frank Gore. If Frank Gore is limited, the Niners must win the special teams & turnover battle. If they do this, they have a great chance to win. All things being equal, the Giants avoid mistakes & they just have more offensive firepower.

Hakeem Nicks is a nightmare cover right now, coupled with the attention Vic Cruz is dictating. Eli Manning must be under duress, otherwise, he will get them the ball.

Another note; the looming rain forecast curtailing the Giants passing game could be of aid to the Niners too.

I think the Giants win a "tight to the vest" game with a big defensive performance, and just enough from the offensive.

Giants  23   49ers  13

11. seattleamilehigh1 profile image60
    seattleamilehigh1posted 12 years ago

I got to go with the Niners. They played a hell of a game. I had doubted Alex Smth up till that game, and now I beleive in the whole teams concept, down to every man. Plus, who wouldn't wanna see a couple of brothers duke it out in the Superbowl? big_smile

12. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

Ive watched a lot of football, but have seen few defenses as punishing as the Niners.  They left a lot on the field last week.  Im hoping they can refill and be ready to go.  If the tank is full, i think theyre too fast and hit too hard for the Giants to take for four quarters. 

Lucked into a ticket yesterday, so Ill be at the game.

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

can you take me?

Doubtful, GO.
        Even you gotta admit, you're pretty hard to take.
        smile

lol lol

2. dohn121 profile image81

I heard that it's supposed to rain, which should slow down that Niners' front seven big_smile

Rain will slow everybody down.
        I'm praying for SNOW!

lol

13. Xenonlit profile image59
    Xenonlitposted 12 years ago

All that I will say is

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6047886.jpg

14. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

It's starting to get cloudy - we haven't had much rain, but may not rain during the game.

1. Xenonlit profile image59
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The big rain seems to be coming tomorrow. Hopefully it will be intermittent showers for the game.

15. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

I think both teams lost alot in their huge upsets from last weekend. The niners defence will be the factor in this game, so the niners should win! if it rains the niners will have the advantage sine the giants rely on the passing game more then the running game.

16. Joelipoo profile image77
    Joelipooposted 12 years ago

The Giants have been playing extremely well and with a lot of momentum lately.  I would prefer to see the 49s win (Harbaugh brother superbowl), but I have to give the edge to the Giants.

17. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

I saw the NY Giants as a major threat when the playoffs began this year.
    The playoffs is a new season and the regular season is not a true measuring guide to how a team plays when under the pressure of the playoffs. Especially for teams that are young and new to the playoff atmosphere.
    San Francisco beat the Giants earlier in the season, but this is a different Giants team now. The running backs are healthy and playing well. The front four of the Giants are dominating opponents and finally coming together as a solid unit at the right time.
    Eli Manning is having his best year and has shown a lot more wisdom in his decision making than past years under pressure.
    And Victor Cruz!!!!! He is becoming a machine as a receiver to go along with Nicks and Manningham finally stepping up.

SF is good, especially their defense, but I think the journey ends this Sunday. The Giants defense is playing at such a higher level than they did in the regular season. Alex Smith better have his track shoes on, since the Giants pass rushers will be after him.
    New Orleans looked out of sync all through the game. I give SF credit for their part, but I saw problems with the play calling and play of the Saints as well. The Giants are well rounded and do not rattle in these type of games.

I am taking the NY Giants.

Go...Blue and Silv.....oops, not that Blue team! Oh, well..if my blue team can't win, guess I can pick the "other" team that wears blue also. lol

18. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

One advantage for the Giants is they have already experienced how the Niners play.  They'll be ready for how the Niners rip at the ball and how hard they hit. 

The Giants are a lot better team than when the Niners played them (although I believe the Giants had won three in a row coming into candlestick).

A soft rain started this afternoon....BTW, the bay area is starting to go crazy for this Niners team.  Candlestick should be rocking, rain or shine.

19. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

If candlestick is real slick, maybe strictly a passing game.

If the Giants are forced to run the ball in bad weather, they might be in trouble. This 49ers defense is incredible against the run, and the Giants have only been able to establish their running game against some really poor run defenses. San Francisco can be windy, and it seems like sometimes all it takes is a stiff breeze to take down Brandon Jacobs.

Jerry Rice did the 49ers a huge disservice this week by going on ESPN and calling Brandon Jacobs soft. Why would he call out a Giants player like that? Yes, we all know Jacobs is pretty terrible at breaking tackles, especially for a man of his size, but why give him anything that he could use for motivation? The last time he was called out was before the Jets game, and he ended up humiliating some guys on that defense and made them look like a bunch of pansies.

20. TahoeDoc profile image78
    TahoeDocposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6056292_f248.jpg

Go NINERS! It will be interesting to see if the power goes out like it did when my sister and I were there for the Steelers matchup. We were wearing Steelers colors too, but the SF fans were great! We had so much fun with that crowd that I decided I'd pull for them if they beat the Steelers. And yeah, I think that's a perfectly fine way to pick a team smile

21. dorner profile image56
    dornerposted 12 years ago

I am taking the Giants because they are the hot team right now. They remind me of the Giants team that went to the Superbowl in 2007. They have been playing playoff type games for since week 16 and have won their last 4 games by atleast 15 pts including taking out the defending champs in Lambeau. I like the Giants to continue that trend and reach the superbowl to lose to the Ravens.

22. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6061113_f248.jpg

Hard to believe but I took this picture the other day. . Lombardi was there right in front of me and what a sight it was to see ! 'Tiffany' next stop, New York (well via Indianapolis where it was off to after I took this pic!)

You are one lucky lady!  cool

cool

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62

++ and nice avatar Shari!!

23. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

Even Joe Biden is rooting for the home team Giants...

24. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6067970_f248.jpg

Remember this? And history just might repeat itself big_smile cool

1. TamCor profile image78
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say it will... big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)