jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Why do men and women's buttons do up differently?

1. jabelufiroz profile image76
    jabelufirozposted 3 years ago

Why do men and women's buttons do up differently?

1. Quilligrapher profile image88
      Quilligrapherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good evening, Jabelufiroz. If you are looking for someone who can speak with a little authority on this subject, you can speak to me since I have as little authority as anyone else. lol

The unsupported explanation most often repeated seems to be based on a few simple and obvious facts from the past. The majority of people are right handed, buttons were typically found on the garments of the more wealthy folks, and it was common practice for wealthy women to have servants to help them dress while men usually dressed themselves. Hence, right handed men dressing themselves preferred their buttons on the right side of the garment and the right handed servants dressing wealthy women preferred their lady’s buttons on the left side of her garments to make their job easier. {1}

It makes sense to me. How about you?
      {1} http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/fiel … rent-sides

1. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know this.
        Interesting info.

2. 0
    Beth37posted 3 years ago

First of all, kuddos to kabblufuroz (sorry, that's from memory)... for always creating threads that seem to have an interesting theme... Second, thanks to Quilligrapher for that answer... had I known you had so much interesting info just floating around, I would have asked you to come post on the facts thread.

Edit... wasn't even close. sad
    Sorry, jabelufiroz.

1. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Remind me never to send you out for a pint of Kabblufuroz. wink

1. 0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

lol... who knows what I might come home with.