Poking fun at country names?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (39 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm currently working on a hub, but since it's me, I don't want to offend anyone.

It's basically about how silly some national names are and giving new names instead. (For instance, why is someone from holland called dutch?)

Would you consider it offensive as long as the made up names weren't referring to anything racist about the group themselves?

Or am I being an old fuddy duddy? lol

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

you are being aussie lol...oops ...

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An example would be people from Hong Kong - I've just always itched to call them Honkanese!

1. vicki simms profile image67
          vicki simmsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha ha I love this, I am going to have to say honkanese now!!!! smile

2. Whimsical Chair profile image62
      Whimsical Chairposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right away Turkey and Hungary comes to my mind.

lol

2. Haunty profile image72
        Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol Thanks so much!

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because Holland is Deutchland.

4. onegoodwoman profile image68
      onegoodwomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go for it.........my homestate, has a town called Palestine, NEEDMORE, and I have been through: Eupora, Acupa, Coffee,  Wine, Lackawata, Showlow, Globe, Wrong Turn, Umista,.................and..........notonthemappa

if you can put it together, you have talent.

5. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If a man from Poland is a Pole, why isn't a man from Holland a hole?

(Hey ye Dutch yonder, I love everything Dutch)

2. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

After a few years browsing forum posts on here it would be a cold day in hell before anything offended me ever again wink

I jest!

Sounds like a great idea WryLit.

3. WryLilt profile image87

Alright thanks guys.

Just downloaded a list of country names.

Dayum didn't know there were THAT many!

This might take a few days!

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

days...well i guess it would take more than a month..provided you take eight countries per day then creatives and all...wow ..this is going to be project wrylit...but m sure you would be doing great job...i am looking forward to your hub ...

4. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Are Austrians also called Aussies?

No, only Australians are called Aussies. tongue

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Osterreich is the Deutsche (German) name for Austria - perhaps this makes the people Ostriches?? smile

Interesting! Can I steal this tidbit for my hub? big_smile

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
            Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

By all means - I look forward to seeing your completed work. It already sounds as though it's going to be pretty interestting. smile

Haha if I don't lose the plot halfway through!

5. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

But why do Australians get first dibs on being called Aussies. What is the Austrians also wanted to be called Aussies - who gets to decide?

Me!

6. WryLilt profile image87

Alright - anyone know any way to find out what the people of each country are actually called? (For instance, Australia - Australians, England - English etc.)

1. Zack 14 profile image60
      Zack 14posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, exactly what I needed!

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uhh...dictionary?  Trivia ; austral is anything pertaining to the south.

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

The British; limies,  Americans; Yanks,  French; Frogs
    Oh the possibilities are endless

1. nasus loops profile image64
      nasus loopsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Also known as the Whities when in Africa.

8. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

Canadians....'Canucks'

1. Whimsical Chair profile image62

what is a canuck

9. iantoPF profile image78
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

I love this subject; I'm sure you can have a lot of fun with it and it sounds like an article to be bookmarked a lot.
    I'm sure you would know that Aussies call the English; Prisoners Of Mother England or "Pommies" but did you know that within the UK Scots are called "Jocks" A Welshman is called "Taffy" one of the first things I did when I came to America was send home a packet of "Laffy Taffy" Oh! and if you are from China you don't have bulls in your shop. smile

10. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

And if you really want to go crazy, you could break countries down into segments - Americans north of the Mason-Dixon line = yankees, south of the line = rebels

Looks like iantoPF beat me to this one!

11. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

what's really funny to me is when people from other countries who have very thick accents are trying to communicate with each other using English - its hysterical! although I'm sure for them it is rather frustrating.  The other day I listened to an East Indian woman talking to Mexican woman in English and they were having to repeat everything several times to be understood - I thought it would make an awesome comedy sketch!  I'm sure they would think it was funny too!

It would be even funnier if they were trying to correct each other's English pronunciation.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's classic. LOL Wish I'd have been there.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me of the time when I has to take a German lady to my Japanese dentist for an emergency denture repair. I was the translator who could barely understand either of them. Sign language goes a long way.

3. iantoPF profile image78
      iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is hilarious, it reminds me of when I was applying for American citizenship. I was interviewed on my knowledge of English by a Korean. We were both having a good chuckle over it.

12. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

When I read the topic I thought you meant country names like Bobby Joe, Betty Sue and Billy Jim Bob.

1. Whimsical Chair profile image62

lol

2. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image70
      FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me to

13. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

Not to confuse a town with a country but there is a place called Intercourse Pennsylvania...Not sure how to get there but I hear there is many ups and  downs on the way big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)