Tips on Purchasing a Dog House
There are many reasons to consider purchasing a dog house. Do you have a dog that spends a lot of time outside?
Or maybe the new puppy just isn't working out too well inside, so he's going to be seeing more of the yard for the foreseeable future. If there is any chance that he might be outside in the cold or rain, or you just want to give him a nice, personal place to sleep, he'll need the protection of an outdoor dog house.
Pre-Built Dog Houses
The vast majority of dog owners nowadays generally opt for a pre-built model. The style that seems to be popping up like mushrooms in everyone's yard is the igloo dog house.
Although these may look similar to each other, they are often built by different manufacturers, and so may be very different depending on the needs of the pet. Some are designed for more heat retention than others.
In some areas, an insulated dog house is used to keep in the warmth in the colder months. In areas where it can get very cold, very fast, a heated dog house can be a necessity, especially for older dogs. There are even mats available that will act as a heater.
Igloo Style Houses
Important Purchasing Tips
- Is it for a puppy or an adult size dog? If your dog is still growing. Some breeds, especially larger ones, will continue growing for up to two years. It's much better to have a large dog house rather than a smaller, useless one.
- Size of your dog or dogs and if they will be sharing this new home.
- Consider all the important features and accessories available for your outdoor dog house before making a final decision.
- Will it need to be insulated if you live in an extremely cold or hot climate?
- Will you need a dog pen? If so, how tall does it need to be and will it need a top to keep your pooch safely contained?
There's a Perfect Size for Every Dog or Multiple Dogs!
Also, if you have multiple dogs, see if you can observe their sleeping habits before you purchase.
How Do Your Dogs Sleep?
- Do they tend to sleep piled one on top of the other? If so, you’ll want to get a size that they can all fit into at once, because, rest assured, they will try. And you don’t want them to end up struggling for a spot if they don’t all fit.
- Do they sleep across the yard from each other? In this case, you might consider more than one in your yard. But don't discount the possibility that they may decide to curl up together when it gets particularly cold. Too big is still better than too small.
Wooden & Cedar Pet Houses
Are Dog Houses Expensive?
When you consider how much life you are likely to get out of one, dog houses really are not very expensive. Even if it costs a bit more, it is worth it to buy the model you really need as opposed to one that will just let you get by for a little while.
Besides, pets don't like change, so give them an outside dog house that they can be happy with for a long time.
3 Basic Types Dog Houses
- Pre-Built: all assembled and ready to move in.
- Dog House Kit: ready to assemble with some basic tools required.
- DIY from Dog House Plans: requires the highest level of skill and you will need access to all the required carpentry tools.
DIY with Dog House Plans
Some dog owners decide to make a project out of it and build a wooden dog house themselves. If you decide on this option, you can either purchase some dog house plans or draw up your own. These can easily be found on the web, or purchased at some of the larger hardware stores.
Will building it yourself save you money? Probably not, unless you plan on building one for a small dog. Wood is not particularly cheap these days, and neither are the tools to put one together. But, it could be a really fun thing for the family to do together as a project. Especially, if you are handy and already own the more expensive tools.
Visit Dog Supplies Advisor for more great information on caring for your dog.
Beyond the Dog House: Kennels, Pens, Carriers and More
- Dog Pens: Choosing the Best Location
There are several things you must consider when deciding on the best location for dog pens. First and foremost is the type of dog you have, as well as his personality. If your dog likes to run, you might...
- Using a Dog Play Pen to Contain Your Pooch
Plastic Dog Play Pen or Puppy Paradise? You may be wondering whether or not you should put your pooch in a dog play pen, and what advantages and benefits there are to doing so. There are many different...
- Dog Kennel - Choosing the Best Type for the Safety and Comfort of Your Dog
If you own a dog, chances are you consider your pet to be not just an animal but an actual family member. And like a family member, you want to do whatever you can to keep them safe. Many people allow their...
- Dog Kennels - How to Select a Dog Kennel
Dog kennels, or crates as they are sometimes called, come in as many sizes, shapes, colors and prices as the dogs themselves. Maybe youve talked to friends who use them and think it sounds interesting, but...
- Dog Crate Covers - Stylish New Trends
Traditionally, dog crate covers were created to serve strictly utilitarian purposes, with little or no thought to style or aesthetic design. All crate covers were made of dull canvas material and they each...
- Find the Perfect Dog Carrier for Your Lifestyle
Traveling with pets has never been easier. With hundreds of dog carrier designs available on todays market, and prices to suit any budget, individuals and their pets can travel together in style and...