jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Cat climbing table non-stop for four months and other bad behaviors

1. Kristen Howe profile image87
    Kristen Howeposted 2 months ago

Please help! My cat Wylie have been climbing my kitchen table for almost four months. I've done everything I could find online to prevent him from doing it to no avail--foil on table, spraying him with water, telling him no firmly, even giving him 15 minutes a day of pet and play times. He doesn't seem to stop to listen in his tender old age of 17 years old. I do take him to my room for a timeout a few times a day. He has plenty of food, water and litter as well, every night. I don't know he's doing this and what to get him to stop for good! I do give him attention, when I'm not working on the computer or reading a book. He's also been caterwauling  a few times every day and waking me up at 5:30-7 AM every  morning. Please help, before I might call my vet for her advice.

2. FlourishAnyway profile image91
    FlourishAnywayposted 2 months ago

Have you tried to wear out his  energy at night and give him better alternatives?  My cats love certain toys such as Da Bird (Amazon), laser toys, and catnip filled kick pillows (Etsy).  Switch things out to keep it new and exciting.  For the climbing, try giving him his own cat perch tower situated near a window.  He can sleep or scratch on it.  Make it a better alternative than the table.  Be thankful he's not peeing inappropriately!  Lastly, rather than foil, try double sided tape or packaging rage rolled backwards.  No one wants sticky paws.  Best of luck.

3. Live to Learn profile image82
    Live to Learnposted 2 months ago

You have probably only recently noticed this. I have never met a cat that isn't constantly walking across counters and tables. This is one reason I would never own a house cat.

4. Sophia Gorostiza profile image60
    Sophia Gorostizaposted 2 months ago

Hello ! I think I have an answer to your problem. If you have stairs, cats would regularly use them to look over their territory in your house. If you have stairs, they probably don't have a good view of the house in cat vision. If you don't have stairs, that kitchen countertop is probably the highest point which gives the cat a great view of the house. smile

5. Kristen Howe profile image87
    Kristen Howeposted 2 months ago

Flourish, I've played with him with my backscratcher's ribbons and use it as a toy.  He has his own scratching post though.  I have my couch next to the wall and windows in my apartment.  I might have to get double-sided tape next weekend. I do have packaging tape though. I have tried wearing him out at night with 5-10 minute play time. He does have an old toy, but he's not interested in it. Sophia, I live on the 5th floor in my apartment.But the only stairs is outside my apartment to the lobby. Live to Learn, he jumps on the table but doesn't walk across it though.

working