jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Anyone have a easy method of getting a dog to let you trim their nails?

1. letscithappen profile image61
    letscithappenposted 7 years ago

Anyone have a easy method of getting a dog to let you trim their nails?

2. Juiceyme profile image76
    Juiceymeposted 7 years ago

It will take two people. One to hold the dog while the other trims the nails. Or give it a dose of Nyquil....LOL just kidding!!

3. framistan profile image57
    framistanposted 7 years ago

YES! I have built a kind of "hammock" that you put the dog into. Tie each end of the hammock to something high up enough so the dogs feet are easy to grab. His legs stick out the bottom and he cant struggle against your efforts because his feet are above the ground and he has nothing to push against! 

Using the standard method...when you hold the dog or try to trim the nails with the dog sitting on any surface, you are fighting the dogs ability to twist around and fight against you and possibly BITE you. However...   using a kind of hammock setup, .. i once trimmed the nails of a dog that was very agressive. He couldn't do anything except wait for the manicure.  It works, but the hammock must be built carefully and hung carefully so the dog doesnt "flip upside down and OUT of the hammock.  You might also want to cover the dogs head and face area with some kind of breathable-towel so the pooch cant see what you are doing.  This will also help stop him from biting you and keeps him calmer.  Be sure the towel is not so thick that it SMOTHERS the dog.  You only want to stop him from seeing/biting you... not smother him.  Also, be sure the hammock supports the dog comfortably... because he will be in the hammock quite a while.  The hammock must not cut off his circulation or pinch him anywhere. This idea DOES WORK, but i had to build a couple prototypes before i got one that worked really well... and YOU TOO will have to do some of this trial and error building to get one that works. This reminds me of one of my favorite quotations:   "There are no IMPOSSIBLE PROBLEMS.... only WELL HIDDEN solutions!"

4. Doc Wordinger profile image96
    Doc Wordingerposted 7 years ago

Let the dog trim your nails first to put him at ease.

5. SavannahEve profile image85
    SavannahEveposted 7 years ago

Get a munchie they love. Hold it in front of them.  Go to trim a nail.  If they pull away.  Say no and try again, holding the munchie just out of reach.  The second you actually get one trimmed, give them the munchie and tell them how fabulous they are!  Do this each time you aim for a nail.  Eventually, they get the picture that when you trim a nail, they get the goods.   Then each time you go to trim those pesky nails again, the dog gets more and more comfortable with the process.

Closed to reply