jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you trim or clip your cat's claws by yourself?

1. nmdonders profile image83
    nmdondersposted 5 years ago

Do you trim or clip your cat's claws by yourself?

2. unreasonablegrace profile image56
    unreasonablegraceposted 5 years ago

It's possible to clip some of my cats' claws on my own, however, not all of them like having their feet touched.  The ones that allow me to only do because I started when they were kittens.  There are a few alternatives to trimming their claws.  First, have several scratch pads or items available and sprinkle them with catnip.  This will allow them to file their nails at welcome spots instead of, say, on the couch.  Another alternative is buying these plastic nail caps from Petsmart or Amazon.  The only problem is getting them on the nails, especially if your kitties don't like to have their feet touched.

3. Lucky Cats profile image79
    Lucky Catsposted 5 years ago

Yes, I do.  I gently press on their pads which causes the claw to extend...wearing high powered reading glasses so as not to injure those little paws...I note where the quick is (pinkish) and where the nail extends, safely, from the quick. Then, using clippers specifically designed for this purpose; I gently clip the extended nail.  Mostly, thought; my younger cats have many scratching posts and they use these eagerly...it is mainly the older cats who need a little help.  Kathy

4. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 5 years ago

Are you crazy????  My Sister and I tried this once, with her cat, Elmo, and - even with one of us holding him (me) - we both came out looking like we'd just crawled through 7 miles of brambles......

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Yes, and I also do it for my pet sitting clients. I use a human nail clipper.

6. afriqnet profile image52
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

I often clip nails for my clients once in a While and I also do it for my own Dogs

7. lisasuniquevoice profile image76
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

I trim my cat's nails while my husband holds him. We do this right after he wakes up from a nap so he's calm.