jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you get your dog to slow down when he eats?

1. To Start Again profile image78
    To Start Againposted 7 years ago

How do you get your dog to slow down when he eats?

My dog has been scarfing down her food too fast and then getting sick. She didn't used to eat so fast, how do I get her to stop?

2. akirchner profile image95
    akirchnerposted 7 years ago

You can purchase a bloat bowl it's called that makes the dog slow down automatically!  We had to do that with our dog who eats like it's his last meal.  It has big posts in the center of the bowl (plastic) so the dog has to eat around it - thus slowing him or her down.

3. caninecrtitics profile image64
    caninecrtiticsposted 7 years ago

I actually wrote a hub about that with numerous ideas http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Stop-You … ng-So-Fast
    Hopefully its ok to put a link.

4. ForkArtJunkie profile image60
    ForkArtJunkieposted 7 years ago

Akirchner is right, I have seen those dog bowls designed especially for fast eaters. Beyond that, you might try feeding in smaller portions, and even hand feeding. While the hand feeding may sound a bit silly, I've done it for years. For whatever reason, my dog just prefers it that way. Another thing to consider, do you have a second dog? Could your dog be gulping down food because he's worried that someone else will eat it?

5. mkvealsh profile image60
    mkvealshposted 7 years ago

Is she attacking the bowl of food as you set it down for her?  Try putting her in a calmer frame of mind by making her sit or lie quietly while you dish the food and put it down, then still make her wait a minute or two before allowing her to eat.  Then you can also make her eat with your hand in the dish (don't try this if she is aggressive at all), or start out by hand feeding.  Also, try putting only a few pieces of food in the bowl at a time as she eats it.

Closed to reply