jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How can you tell if your pet rabbit is a male or female?

1. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 6 years ago

How can you tell if your pet rabbit is a male or female?

2. DTroth profile image66
    DTrothposted 6 years ago

Hi xanzacow,

I have an answer to your question.  I've raised rabbits off and on for many years and when my son was young, he showed them in 4-H.  It may take a little practice to be able to perform this "procedure," but you'll get it in time.  It would be easier to show you than to explain it, but I'll give it a shot!

First, get a hold of your rabbit by the scruff (the loose skin over his shoulders, just behind his neck).  This will help to "stabilize" him/her so he can't wiggle around as much.  Sit down and lay him on his back on your lap, so he's not just hanging by his skin in your hand.  Then, with your free hand, use two fingers (I use my fore-finger and middle finger - same hand of course) and VERY GENTLY put pressure on both sides, right next to his/her genitalia.  Keep pushing down until either a purple-ish/pink-ish colored penis pops out, OR, until you can see what looks like kind of a tear-drop shaped slit.  If you don't see the penis pop out right away and you're sure you're doing the procedure correctly, then stop pushing before you injure your rabbit, cuz you have a girl!  If there's a penis, well, then, obviously, you have a boy!

Good luck!

Please let me know if you have any more questions. (:

peace to you...always,

3. Steph Harris profile image60
    Steph Harrisposted 6 years ago

This is quite an easy procedure, first you need to lay your rabbit on his or her back. Very often when you have them on their back they act like they have gone into a trance, which makes everything a lot easier for you. Then you push down very gently by their genitalia, this is just in front of the anus. If you have a male you will see a penis pop out, or rather a round little tube. If it is a female you will see a very small slit. Considering they are such prolific breeders, they are certainly very shy about letting us know their sex.

4. AngusNz profile image60
    AngusNzposted 6 years ago

Well our rabbit had a couple of dangly things in just the right place to confidently say that he was a boy, oh and he humped the broom., and the dog, and chairs and walls and slippers and table legs.............

5. ptosis profile image71
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Well the wrong way would be this way shown in the cartoon.
    Happy Easter!

6. Loveslove profile image58
    Lovesloveposted 6 years ago

Look of course.. the answer will be on its tummy towards the back of its body ...if you still dont know maybe you need some sex education !!

7. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all of your answers. Funny one ptosis, and Happy Easter to you too!
    Loveslove, I did look, Silly. Maybe he/she is too young to tell? Of course I couldn't keep him/her still long enough to actually SEE anything.
    Sex ed, hmmmmm...........maybe.
    Great answer Steph and DTroth, very helpful.
    And so far, no humping AngusNZ.
    I'll let you know what I find out.

8. profile image0
    vinsanityposted 6 years ago

I'm assuming you can just look at their sexual reproductive organ and see what they are.