After only owning a hamster for 6 days the little thing is dead. what can I do d

1. profile image45
    cneffposted 6 years ago

After only owning a hamster for 6 days the little thing is dead. what can I do differently???

I bought my daughter a hamster for easter on Saturday the 23rd; this morning before leaving work I noticed the hamster is stiff and dead. I kept its cage extremely clean, changed food n water daily. left it run around in a ball on floor daily. I am a very clean person and my daughter is 6yrs old! Thank god she happened to be with her father overnight last night and I was the only one to find "butters" not breathing.  I have to replace the hamster immediately so not to break my daughters little heart but what if anything should I know or be doin differently so this doesnt happen again?! thank y

2. The Reminder profile image75
    The Reminderposted 6 years ago

You should get her a bunny. They are more friendly and stronger.

3. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

The hamster could have been ill when you purchased it. Pet store animals are not always the most healthy animals. They're cheap and easy to access which is why they sell so well.

Make sure to use aspen or a recycled bedding, like carefresh. A healthy food and fresh water. Leave the hamster alone to adapt to the new surroundings and home before playing with it. They can be easily stressed. Wettail is a huge concern for new hamsters.

working